Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wing Commander series...

Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Hello..

So, I'm looking through GOG for something new and different to play. Well... I guess just "different" in this case, since WC is hardly "new" lol...

Anyway... I'm looking to get IV, but I'm wondering if it's necessary to have played 1-3 in order to understand or fully enjoy IV?

Are they stand-alone stories, or is it a kind of continuing, on-going thing?

Comments

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

Hello..

So, I'm looking through GOG for something new and different to play. Well... I guess just "different" in this case, since WC is hardly "new" lol...

Anyway... I'm looking to get IV, but I'm wondering if it's necessary to have played 1-3 in order to understand or fully enjoy IV?

Are they stand-alone stories, or is it a kind of continuing, on-going thing?

When I first got my 486 back in the day, I played through WC IV before I played 3. You will enjoy it a great deal, even if its the first you play. The story in WC4 is after the kilrathi war, and though there are quite a few references to the previous games, its nothing you wouldn't understand with just a basic knowledge of the series. WC4 has a better plot than most holywood blockbusters ;).

To this day, my top 3 stories in videogame history are metal gear sold 1, KOTOR, and WC4.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    You should also try out Freespace, and Freespace 2....they were made by Interplay; which is where Blizzard and Bioware came from...its newer than the WC series and I thought it was a pretty good series
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Nice! Thank you for the responses so far.

I'm looking at Freespace 2 as well.

Wondering if I should invest in a flight stick. Friend of mine is saying they're not necessary, but definitely enhance the experience.

Hmm... decisions decisions...

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    I played SWG : Jump To Light Speed with a MS Stick and it was so much better.  I first played Freelancer with a mouse then came back to it with the stick.  I think both of those games had the same basic mechanics.  Chase a leading cursor target, meaning if you kept your cursor on the enemy's leading target you would hit it.  I don't remember WC4, it was the only one I played, and I don't feel like looking it up on YouTube.  Good luck.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.