Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is player griefing? How do you define it?

13»

Comments

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

What is griefing considered to you?

Things like FFA PvP sandboxes in which a player or group of players gank you and continue to do so over and over again, allowed in since the game was designed with FFA in mind.

So you can be attacked by anybody, anywhere outside of locations that limit PvP.

So that wouldnt be a violation of the game rules in any way since it was designed as so. So would that be considered grief?

griefing is when someone bends or exploits the rules in a game (and this next bit is crucial) simply in order to decrease the enjoyment of others.  In other words, to give others grief.

suicide ganking in eve is not griefing, nor is scamming, both are done to gain a profit in game (though i disapprove of both they are not griefing.)  ganking new players simply to make them upset is griefing.

FFAPVP is not griefing; in fact in darkfall, a pvp game, the most infamous griefing clan, HOGG, operated out of the safe areas.  they did things like exploit collision mechanics to prevent people from harvesting.

PVP is great, PVP with consequences is fantastic, but griefing is for slimebags.  it does nothing except cause others to give up the very game the griefer is playing, therefore the griefer is cutting off its nose to spite its face; because if less people are playing the game, then less money is going to the game company and less resources are going to be devoted to making the game better.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Griefing is when some dude is following me around yacking his jaw and attacking everything im trying to attack just to be a dick. and because im on some care bear server i cant send him off to the spirit world, instead im forced to have this loser follow me around till i get tired of it and leave.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Intrusive behavior in a game world.

It isn't tolerated in a real world, it isn't tolerated in most game worlds. Every so often a developer thinks they can get away with it.

I support free for all zones. I applaud a game that has them. I do not support forced for all or forced free for all zones.  I know the difference between rude and griefing. I don't judge a game or even the community when I encounter rude players. They are part of life. I do know when forced 'free for all' is a mechanic designed as a road block for an otherwise, lackluster and generally shitty game.

AoC was destroyed due to griefing. It was not 'working as intended' but it was left unchecked long enough that it took the feet out from under the game before it got off its Knees. Age of Wushu was also destroyed by griefing but it was very much working as intended. EVE Online could/ should have 4-6 million subs. It is throttled by 'working as intended' griefer mechanics designed to throttle players on all corners of EVE. They seem to be happy with their 500K so I usually tell people to simply apply the buyer beware motto to EVE.
  • MaribuMaribu Member Posts: 14

Lots of good answers here.  Griefing is not always about pvp, but pvp (especially ffa pvp) is fertile ground for griefers and they flock to it like bees to honey. 

Griefers are people who experience pleasure from intentionally and knowingly causing pain, inconvenience, unhappiness, anger, or humiliation in others. That's fun to them.  The amount of pleasure derived is directly proportional to how much is inflicted on the other person.  Not surprisingly, most definitions of griefers closely resemble the definition of sadism, minus one aspect of it and sometimes I wonder about that part.

There is a whole world of difference between pvp and griefing. Griefers calling themselves pvpers and wanting respect are just laughable in my opinion.  People who like to engage in healthy competition with others are pvpers.  People who have to ruin others' experiences in order to have fun are just wannabe pvpers, imo.   Just griefers.  And laughing about it when people say they don't like it, because they think it somehow makes them look "leet" to their friends, is just pathetic.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Griefing as defined by me would be 3 letters " EvE "
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Pretty simple to me....finding joy in creating misery for others. The more response you get out of them the more miserable you made their life and  the more fun you have. That is griefing in a nutshell to me. In terms of pvp yes, camping someone who presents no challenge whatsoever and killing them over and over for fun until you get the satisfaction of a response...any form will do but the more rage included the better. Typically this person will run from any real challenge and picks the wings off flies in real life. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!