Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's not you ESO...it's me.

2»

Comments

• doug200463doug200463 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    ...and so it begins.. I have said it before.. MMOs that follow the traditional style of leveling are bound to fail.. alot of people are just sick of it, we need a new, more exciting way to advance our characters.. 
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by BailoPan15
    Originally posted by chronoss2015
    Originally posted by zelaex

I cancelled my subscription an hour ago. Sadly I'm done with this game. It could be so much more but Zenimax is making it worse with every patch instead of improving it. PVP is a huge joke at the moment with all of its exploits (caltrops anyone?) and lags (memory leaks -> lag spikes).. and bugs (join a large raid.. get kicked from the game). Some classes need nerfs since launch (DK).. others (NB) are broken. But the most dumb thing I've encountered so far is the customer support. My whole main story line disappeared in Coldharbour.. I couldn't finish the quest and suddenly it wasn't there anymore. I can't proceed.. my highest veteran character is forced to level up through PVP because I can't get to the other starting zones or even to Molag Bal. I wrote dozens of tickets to Zenimax.. nothing.. no single response since 11 days.

And yea.. these problems are just the tip of the iceberg. :(

um that would be the 4 to 1 ratio of bots to humans , everywhere i go i see bots lots of them.....and they cant seem to solve it....

and that also hinders upgrades and makes many of us give up on mmo's in general...a poster went on about GU2....what he wont tell you is how bad the bots are in GU2....they are jsut as bad as ESO...some might say cause of GU2's structure it make sit ten times worse.....

and its cartoony look and pinky and brain mesmers...no thanks....

tried dc online had fun till i too had to start upgrading.....i had ot nearly start a revolution in the game to get anywhere via the economy they have.....won that battle and then after two weeks left....

trek online its too grindy.....

and ground combat is horrible as are neverwinter nights ( same company )

and think if i stop paying 15 a month....and he stops paying 15 a month thats 360 a year loss to any mmo....

now think about a million of us....and we wont be paying more then 80 bucks for a game that is single player now will we....

ya seeing the scam now folks?

i'm beginning to believe that the "bots" are the way the company stops players like me that play a lot form really getting somewhere.....they want me to pay forever ..well i will just gey rid of these bots....they screw everyone not just me.

huh, I suppose you mean Guild Wars 2 by GU2. Idk what you've been smoking but there are no bots in this game or at least they are so rare that i do not see them. Also, Gw2 is not punishing you for being slower than a bot. You have your own mine nodes, you have your own drop, you have your own exp and event reward. Bots or no bots what you said is plain bullshit. Bots do not slow you down 1 bit in Gw2, not even a microsecond. 

You didn't see it so it never happened right? GW2 is full of bots when you know where to look. Now after they established the Mega Servers you can easily find 50+ Minion Master bots in the Cursed Shore within 30 minutes.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I think the way forward is for devs to make a living, breathing world first and then overlay the gameplay on top of that.

A good upcoming example could be Elite: Dangerous. 

I think MMORPGs assist with making a living, breathing world, but you need to have a strong NPC 'skeleton' in addition. For example, Eve Online relies too heavily on real people to do the boring tasks.

• movros99movros99 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig

OP, I quit for the same exact reasons as you, I got to almost VR3 on my Nightblade and honestly, the class is kinda crap unless you are a cloth wearing staff weilding dude.  The VR levels are going to keep piling up and frankly I don't want to play two extra story lines + extra new content.

Like GW2 they lied about pvp progression, it's there..but it isn't up to snuff.

Bummer because I had high hopes (but honestly it's just another zergy game and everyone can stealth so it kinda sucked in the solo/duo aspect as well)

Also I want to add, as they add more VR levels (vet 12) the more difficult it makes for newer players to pvp, pvp will eventually die out like AOC because the difference in power will be too great.

Heh.  Was PvP in AOC ever popular?  Must have been after my time.  AOC however is another prime example of grind ruining games.

Developers need to learn that expanding the XP bar or making players grind several months to achieve a top level build is not 'adding content' or enhancing the player's experience. 

Camelot Unchained is my final hope for a fantasy PvP MMO.  The chunk of PvE that PvPers don't want to grind through will be completely removed and quest-grinding will also be absent.  I refuse to do one more 'kill ten angry chickens' or dopey 'line up the snakes' puzzle quest.

PvPers want to get out and fight right away, and PvEers want to get to top level and raid. Making people suffer by forcing them to  level a character from one to fifty or eighty or whatever just to get to their preferred activity is a tired and antiquated concept.  I know there's going to be a ton of you that love to level and you're going to share your 'back in the day my character had to level up in the snow uphill both ways' and us complainers are just lazy...I get it.  But this is one of the reasons why people are buying an MMO game and refusing to sub or play after their first month.

The only hope to really save this genre for a number of players lies with the Kickstarter community of game development.  Games like Star Citizen, Camelot Unchained, and Elite Dangerous are not afraid to think way out of the box and they are not hindered by 'let's make a game just like Wow' greedy, punk-ass developers and investors.  (Is punk-ass supposed to be hyphenated?  Oh well...it is now.)

• cefirocefiro Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by movros99

OP, I quit for the same exact reasons as you, I got to almost VR3 on my Nightblade and honestly, the class is kinda crap unless you are a cloth wearing staff weilding dude.  The VR levels are going to keep piling up and frankly I don't want to play two extra story lines + extra new content.

Bummer because I had high hopes (but honestly it's just another zergy game and everyone can stealth so it kinda sucked in the solo/duo aspect as well)

Also I want to add, as they add more VR levels (vet 12) the more difficult it makes for newer players to pvp, pvp will eventually die out like AOC because the difference in power will be too great.

Heh.  Was PvP in AOC ever popular?  Must have been after my time.  AOC however is another prime example of grind ruining games.

Developers need to learn that expanding the XP bar or making players grind several months to achieve a top level build is not 'adding content' or enhancing the player's experience. 

Camelot Unchained is my final hope for a fantasy PvP MMO.  The chunk of PvE that PvPers don't want to grind through will be completely removed and quest-grinding will also be absent.  I refuse to do one more 'kill ten angry chickens' or dopey 'line up the snakes' puzzle quest.

PvPers want to get out and fight right away, and PvEers want to get to top level and raid. Making people suffer by forcing them to  level a character from one to fifty or eighty or whatever just to get to their preferred activity is a tired and antiquated concept.  I know there's going to be a ton of you that love to level and you're going to share your 'back in the day my character had to level up in the snow uphill both ways' and us complainers are just lazy...I get it.  But this is one of the reasons why people are buying an MMO game and refusing to sub or play after their first month.

The only hope to really save this genre for a number of players lies with the Kickstarter community of game development.  Games like Star Citizen, Camelot Unchained, and Elite Dangerous are not afraid to think way out of the box and they are not hindered by 'let's make a game just like Wow' greedy, punk-ass developers and investors.  (Is punk-ass supposed to be hyphenated?  Oh well...it is now.)

Totally agree.

Artificially gating content was the norm when the genre a focus of EQ/WoW. 

When I was younger and could immerse myself into a single game - this design was valid.

Now Im older and have work/life committments - I dont want content to be gated. I want to be able to relax online with the friends I have made all over the globe and jump straight into an adventure/dungeon/party/raid etc not have everybody I know all be a different levels and be gated from cooperative play.

The sooner the current Devs pull their heads out their asses and realise this the better - ESO is a prime example of flawed design.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

PVP died out because, in reality Open world pvp is not popular at all, too many crybabies. The PVP had a huge difference in good players and average players. Good players just farmed casuals easily which made many of them quit and only the core players stood on the pvp servers and the rest left to pve servers.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

I've heard from some friends that GW2 has matured nicely.  I did buy a copy back in the day.  I may have to give it another go.

I would also quickly comment that people who play WOT properly can use gold ammo without spending actual cash.  The mission rewards pretty much ensure that you will have enough in game credits to buy the upgraded ammo.  I do wish they would simply delete those shells from the game, but it'll never happen.

2012 was 2 years ago fyi

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217

and i heard in a voice chat one of the main leaders of a large pvp guild say hed love to buy gold....that he dont want to play the pve to get to pvp....

HE SHOULD REALIZE that this game is a mix....its meant to be that way....

also that his support of bots totoally ruins a huge swath of the game as i saw....

ibrought ten people to see what i spoke of and .....for a whole day no bots there.....

THANK YOU....and ill add i have two trade guilds im in and the second is like a sub of the first....

its nearly full a day after this.....

i may have to close one of my own small guilds to make a 3rd , cause were becoming a huge economy because we actually PLAY THE GAME.....

i even was given a mottif for my efforts....now go back and read my so called negative comments what i was actually fighting and talking about....

you htink if i mine and trade im one of those thats overpriced?

ALSO....

my only problems now are lag bad in pvp ....( no worries folks this actually is my prob...bell canada cant deliver me the 10 megabit i ordered ...odd this game requires 7+ megabit to function....CRAZY )

I have been asked also to do a survey and ill be doing that as the NA server is down for maintenance.

things to improve....

guild store searching, and itemizing stuff....perhaps a few more catagories.

keeping say 24 on call as in game gms.....per server....for issues in game like bots...

As i said ....a lot of disabled poeple play these games as do parents that let there kids play....use that, i bet they are far cheaper then you relize and a feeling of self worth is import

as to pvp and pve .....if you want JUST pvp goto archeage when it comes out. IN North america there are far more pve players then PVP.....which means perhaps they could make the european version of the game more pvp based....

and let the NA game be what it is a cross between the two....you all knew the waythe game is designed.

TELL me how any level 10 would fair vs a vet5 mob....now you see what they have done is make it so fewer goto pvp....

THAT should tell you something .....

i'd also shorten the campaign times ot 60 days instead of 90

PVPers are showimg them selves out as the kind that would buy gold and thus support bots int he game....that also tells you of there character. Supporting bots and gold sellers means your supporting criminals whom do real harm to real people.

and if you buy it with a credit card ....you are just handing them your card too and possibly your account.

Lets just say that after i said this publically a lot a people are flocking to me in the game whom feel the same way.

go ask yourself whom want sthe game to really fail and why , if it goes f2p that means bots get in freely....and the pvpers get going all the time on all the new gear buy gold sales.

this is not a pvp only game. It was never designed thatway.

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Vapors

PVP died out because, in reality Open world pvp is not popular at all, too many crybabies. The PVP had a huge difference in good players and average players. Good players just farmed casuals easily which made many of them quit and only the core players stood on the pvp servers and the rest left to pve servers.

actually it sunpopular cause pve adds a far more enjoyable and non grind experience....and when you hav epeople in pvp they are the ones most likely to cheat, buy gold and support bots ( that then ruin the early parts fo the game for others, ensuring they stay all uber power trippy powerrful)

oh and this so called crybaby has killed many above vet 5....and im now vet2....gee imagine when i can farm ore and get more legendary items .....i also pve and do missions and enjoy trading....id like to see some housing next....i'd pay for it....what will you pvpers do ....pay for the same missions ot do all day everyday....god after a while pvp gets boring ...people learn how and what to do and jsut mindlessly follow or do....sorry im not a mindless drone....thats why i like fact three is pve style missions in the pvp zone...kinda fun isnt it sneaking all the way to bototm of wabberjack when it was all AD on the map killing off a few along the way...to help some village?

what and why do you play pvp....? thats what i ask you....i thinks we find the type a person thats a bully a lot more...from your statements...you need help no really....we in canada are passing a new cyber law that would forbid you to harrass or intimidate or bully people online....calling people a crybaby online in canada is about to become against the law...

I wonder how TESO will deal with the first person that really feels harrassed or intimidated and then they forget or dont do something....anyhow....im a big boy(man) i cant take it thats my aspect to life ...and i dont like YOU calling anyone names.

if youd like i'd love to meet you on a field a battle for combat and teach you why you should never call people names....

i love pve just about as much as pvp too! I dont like bots and there gold supporters and i heard ina ts chat one the big guilds leaders NOT the actual leader but a group leader talk about he dont care about bots, and hed love to buy gold etc.)

be warned that if i have to get a good experience in pve by screwing pvp guild leaders into ob;livion i will do it and ill bring 3000 of my actual hackers into pvp and make sure that guild gets pummeled should it bother me in theleast.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    I only have one question. What the hell is wrong with all you people? You wouldn't recognize a top notch, new MMO, if it fell from some remote place in the universe and landed squarely in your lap. This is the most fun and immersive game I have ever played. And I almost didn't buy it because of all the negative comments on game forums. What the hell? I just don't get it! Really? Seriously? Has juvenile games like World of Warcraft totally turned your minds to mush? This is the first game I have played in many years that has made me feel like a noob again and the feeling is incredible. This reminds me of back when I first played an mmo. And that is a feeling I thought I would never see again. Makes me feel like 20 yrs younger for doing so. And btw what is it with you all for wanting to hit max lvl cap in less than a couple of weeks, let alone a month into a new game release? I have been a subscriber to ESO now since release and am only lvl 12. And the more I play it the more it has drawn me into the world. The rabbit hole only gets deeper the more I learn. This so far has been an incredible experience and I don't play to stop until I hit max lvl and see all content most likely 2 years or more from now. I just don't understand todays so called computer gaming mentality. Something is definitely wrong with gamers these days.... Makes me want to cry but makes me glad I am still a part of the old school generation. I am 54 yrs old and can't believe computer games have not evolved the way I thought they would 20 yrs ago. They actually have de-volved! Makes me really sad that people have totally lost the power of imagination and have only succumbed to mad me me me greed and only think of themselves as gamers or money as game developers!
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I really gave this game a chance, but I find myself not even wanting to log in any more.

I think I'm just over MMO's as a player.  I wanted to play ESO to PvP, but I hate the fact that I have to suffer through a quest grinder just to get to a point so I can start doing what I want to do.  Perhaps I'm merely getting lazy.  In the old DAOC days I solo leveled a nightshade which at the time was a monumental task.  I hated the grind, but when I was finished, I got to go PvP and do what I wanted to do.  And then TOA came along...

Anyways I hope the game is a success and that you all continue to enjoy it.  I just can't bring myself to do any more quests.  I will continue blowing up tanks in World of Tanks and it's almost time for Star Citizen's Arena Commander module to release.   My next hope for some PvP action in a fantasy setting is Camelot Unchained.  That is several years off so who knows. 

In the mean time I'm putting my VR2 Nightblade and VR1 Sorc on the shelf for a while.  Maybe I'll dust them off one day, but I doubt it.  It's pretty obvious that the focus for future content will revolve around PvE activities for some time to come.    

Good luck!

You are pinning your hopes on Indie kickstarter companies?  Please tell me you are joking.  I will promise you, with 100% certainty, that neither game will deliver.  Sorry to hear that you're burned out.  I thought you gained veteran rank for PvP'ing..  I didn't realize that ZOS was forcing you to PvE in order to PvP.

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by Wrender
    I only have one question. What the hell is wrong with all you people? You wouldn't recognize a top notch, new MMO, if it fell from some remote place in the universe and landed squarely in your lap. This is the most fun and immersive game I have ever played. And I almost didn't buy it because of all the negative comments on game forums. What the hell? I just don't get it! Really? Seriously? Has juvenile games like World of Warcraft totally turned your minds to mush? This is the first game I have played in many years that has made me feel like a noob again and the feeling is incredible. This reminds me of back when I first played an mmo. And that is a feeling I thought I would never see again. Makes me feel like 20 yrs younger for doing so. And btw what is it with you all for wanting to hit max lvl cap in less than a couple of weeks, let alone a month into a new game release? I have been a subscriber to ESO now since release and am only lvl 12. And the more I play it the more it has drawn me into the world. The rabbit hole only gets deeper the more I learn. This so far has been an incredible experience and I don't play to stop until I hit max lvl and see all content most likely 2 years or more from now. I just don't understand todays so called computer gaming mentality. Something is definitely wrong with gamers these days.... Makes me want to cry but makes me glad I am still a part of the old school generation. I am 54 yrs old and can't believe computer games have not evolved the way I thought they would 20 yrs ago. They actually have de-volved! Makes me really sad that people have totally lost the power of imagination and have only succumbed to mad me me me greed and only think of themselves as gamers or money as game developers!

+1

Great Post!

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

Im finding this game the best thing since DAoC, look forward to logging in every night after work.  For those of you who get a game and play the hell out of it 24/7, I get how you get tired of something, but there are sooooo many MMO's out there, and most F2P, I don't accept the "i got bored" whine anymore.

I would bet that "most" of you never played a hard MMO, one like EQ or DAoC at the beginning, a game that you could actually go backward in XP if you screwed up.  ESO rocks for me, and of the many many MMO's I have tried and quit, I cant remember ever making the "I quit" posts you people love to do, not only the I Quit post, but continue to follow and post on fourms of a game you hate, that to me just shows you are a true hater and just like to whine about anything.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160

So you can't stand leveling. I hate to be "that guy", but it really sounds like this is not the genre for you. Leveling is an intrinsic part of the MMO. There may be some creative solution that will upend this, but so far they've all failed miserably.

There are plenty of other game genres that have little to no progression, so you can experience any content from the start.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Almost in my 4th month now, 6 characters total highest is lvl 16ish. Still loving it. In fact I bought 3 rl friends a copy and we are having a blast coming up with innovative ways of helping each other while working on making money for our mounts. Very robust trading system even if it's mainly done in chat. So many customers seek items for sale and trade. It's great! Oh And the graphics upgrade has def added a lot more color to the game and game is a lot more smooth and polished now as well!
  • OminousDawnOminousDawn Member Posts: 75

This thread would be funny if it weren't so sad.  The mentality of the PvP centric in this thread is exactly what happens when developer greed allows for PvP in their MMORPG's simply to maximize their player base and "line their pockets."  I don't know if these PvP centric players are aware of how silly they sound when they complain about a two week "PvE grind" in their rush to top level in an MMORPG game just so they can finally do a little PvP.  Could it be possible that they are not aware that MMORPG's are supposed to be about the long journey as they live and adventure in a virtual world, progressing and developing their character along the way?  It certainly doesn't seem that way as they mindlessly rush through content with many not even making an effort to read a solitary quest as they mindlessly grind mobs in their blind rush to cap.  God forbid it take more than a week or two of PvE play to get to that glorious cap.  Because when and if it does this crowd will take to the forums with a fury complaining about the their painful plight as they are "forced" to grind and quest through these torturous PvE elements of the game..    

The question begging to be answered is why are these PvP centric players even playing an MMORPG?  Now don't get me wrong, they have every right to play them just as much as the next person but when they start complaining about having to do a little PvE in what is supposed to be an MMORPG, well ... that's a problem.  I mean, isn't that what FPS games are for? Have you ever seen PvE centric players flood the forums of FPS games and complain that there isn't enough PvE?   

It seems everyone is always complaining about how sorry MMORPG's are nowadays not realizing that the reason the genre is so washed up is because of the unreal expectations given to the PvP centric players by developers that their PvP needs will be fulfilled in an MMORPG.  And it is all in an attempt to maximize profit by poaching into a player base that has no real interest or desire to play an MMORPG game.  I, for one, have no sympathy for these developers.  They are selling out and ruining the genre and for that they are getting their just deserve.      

The game you are looking for requiring no PvE completion and where you can just jump in and start mindlessly shooting at people is that way - >>>>

... it's called an FPS.

Quit ruining the MMORPG genre with your constant "PvE grind" whines.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I really gave this game a chance, but I find myself not even wanting to log in any more.

I think I'm just over MMO's as a player.  I wanted to play ESO to PvP, but I hate the fact that I have to suffer through a quest grinder just to get to a point so I can start doing what I want to do.  Perhaps I'm merely getting lazy...

I had the same problem with ESO, when I started forcing myself to play I realized the game was just not for me. I don't think you are over MMOs, I think you are over the type of MMO that is currently on offer and you don't want to level because you've done it all before many times and like me, you found ESO to be more of the same and you just didn't want to go through it all again.

When a different type of MMO appears I will return to the genre, assuming I'm not dead by then. Until then I will be find other things to amuse me.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Originally posted by mbd1968

I think I'm just over MMO's as a player.  I wanted to play ESO to PvP, but I hate the fact that I have to suffer through a quest grinder just to get to a point so I can start doing what I want to do.  Perhaps I'm merely getting lazy...

I had the same problem with ESO, when I started forcing myself to play I realized the game was just not for me. I don't think you are over MMOs, I think you are over the type of MMO that is currently on offer and you don't want to level because you've done it all before many times and like me, you found ESO to be more of the same and you just didn't want to go through it all again.

When a different type of MMO appears I will return to the genre, assuming I'm not dead by then. Until then I will be find other things to amuse me.

MMOs have had a problem changing the format as we all know. One of the most recent 'new' successes was PS2, which was a rehash of PS. New formats are a rare bird. The funny thing is no one says, "that top shooter, its the same format as the last one in the series." Put in some extra bangs and you have a 'new' title. Themepark MMO's have a real issue here, a few extra bangs do not keep us happy. I am not certain sandbox MMOs escape this issue, just not played enough to be sure.

MMO's straddle a couple of gameplay types and sit uncomfortably on them. They are second best at combat, FPS does it better, solo RPG usually does it better. They are second best at story, single player RPG does it better. The only thing they have to offer is multiplayer and community. But these are the very things that MMOs have moved away from, they have tried to be more solo than a solo game, in which they could but fail.

I can't see a way out of this until we have AI's directing MMO's, and that's a long way off, but hopefully we will still be alive when it happens. :)

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by mbd1968

I had basically the same reaction. ESO is better than most stuff out there right now, but the genre has a whole seems to be stuck on a bunch of base design decisions that make hopefully great games (though the execution rarely lives up to the promise) and horrible worlds. I can usually find better games in different genres, and am willing to except a niche status for a game that puts world first or something like EVE that is willing to create a unique identity and stick with it. I've also accepted that anything that ports an IP over from something else, including other types of video games, is likely to not work because too many changes have to be made for it to be truly the same. FFXI is the only exception I have come across, and even that is less of an exception today than it was when it first came out.