Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I actually like tab targeting (Poll)

redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175

I have noticed a ton of new games coming out that use action FPS mechanics and while alternatives to tab targeting are a good thing for some people, I still prefer cycling through NPC's using the tab key. I can see how PVPers would be interested in FPS style combat since it more skill based than gear based but what about the PVErs? I can deal with a certain level of focus during say raids or boss fights but the whole leveling experience? Um, no.

Comments

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Did you really have to add the same choices but worded differently?

All that does is water down thw results.

It should be three choices or maybe four choices.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Hokie

Did you really have to add the same choices but worded differently?

All that does is water down thw results.

It should be three choices or maybe four choices.

It is a total joke Hokie.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Yea Straw, but some people will come here and want to give their opinion. And you know Im even 1/2 way curious to see some actual results.

Cause to tell the truth I prefer tab targeting (for the most part).

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Either way it will sum up the pros and cons. Just giving people some options man. Humor never hurt anyone.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    FPS is fine, FPSMMOs are okay. FPSMMORPG cannot exist, the minute you add twitch mechanics, then you are no longer playing a role. You are reliant on your own twitchy goodness to prevail and your character doesn't matter.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Tera has done combat better than any other mmorpg I've played. It's lacking in a lot of other areas but combat wise it's the best.
    Originally posted by Hokie

Yea Straw, but some people will come here and want to give their opinion. And you know Im even 1/2 way curious to see some actual results.

Cause to tell the truth I prefer tab targeting (for the most part).

Hey shame on you, you ruined the whole genre!!!! image

I say "maybe" we should pick how we want to play these games. And god forbid we pick what we want.image

"if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

Wow, people really like polls. It's kinda like the leetist vs. the stoners with a few in betweens.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

That poll is a little ambiguous.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    A game can not be an MMORPG if it does not have tab targeting. 

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

"A game can not be an MMORPG if it does not have tab targeting."
    -stayBlind

That is pretty amazing.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by stayBlind

Quite plausible if one didn't know what the letters actually stood for.

hahahahaha this is maybe the beat thread i have ever been a part of!image

• kalosjakarkalosjakar Member Posts: 4

Tab targeting removes a large portion of the skill out of PVP.  It has nothing to do with it being an MMO / RPG... or not.

It basically says, hey I don't want to be rewarded for good aim... I just want to button mash.

Originally posted by kalosjakar

Tab targeting removes a large portion of the skill out of PVP.  It has nothing to do with it being an MMO / RPG... or not.

It basically says, hey I don't want to be rewarded for good aim... I just want to button mash.

Tab targeting is the worse thing to happen to mmos.

• LegacyGameLegacyGame Member UncommonPosts: 132

I think tab targeting has its strengths with a low number of active enemies, but when you have too many targets and you need to get to varied specific targets at idiosyncratic times the system begins to fall apart and can become quite frustrating. This is why in games with softtargeting (similar to tab target) like Zelda you never have too many enemies to juggle because it becomes overwhelming otherwise. 

I like to think of tab target as real time TCG, you build your character ahead of time to be good against specific threats which is the natural meta of rock, paper, scissors in such combat systems. The combat itself isn't exactly tough or demanding, I find the deck building part the most interesting and then seeing it play out when you go through the motions.

Tab target has its place, but really it's been done to death which is why developers are slowly creeping away from it, they're also probably a bit melancholic that they couldn't reproduce another phenomenon like WoW. 

I wonder how many polls you can put in just one thread?

Dude, check out Origins of Malu kickstarter. They are giving you the option for both hit box and tab targeting. This game looks absolutely amazing for pre alpha.

Originally posted by Dauntis
    FPS is fine, FPSMMOs are okay. FPSMMORPG cannot exist, the minute you add twitch mechanics, then you are no longer playing a role. You are reliant on your own twitchy goodness to prevail and your character doesn't matter.

I am pretty sure they can, especially if they are open PvP. Team fortress is a FPS because there is no Massive world which kind of defines the genre but if you took WoW, gave it Planet Side 2 controls and a PvP environment it certainly could be classified as a FPSMMORPG. FPS games have "Roles" to play like medic, engineer, sniper, demo man,  ect.. but you aren't "Role Playing" the characters you choose, or are you? FPSMMO's have a much larger map but you still are not "Role Playing" your character, or are you? Lets break it down even further:

Mechanic..........................................FPS..............FPSMMO.........FPSMMORPG

Classes/Roles                                     Yes                   Yes                    Yes

Quest/Objectives                                 Yes                   Yes                    Yes

Grouping/Teams                                 Yes                   Yes                     Yes

Crafting*                                              Yes          (citation needed)         Yes

Massive world                                     No                     Yes                     Yes

Twitching                                             Yes                   Yes                     Yes

Chat                                                    Yes                    Yes                     Yes

PvP                                                     Yes                    Yes                     Yes

Action based combat                          Yes                    Yes                     Yes

Guilds                                                 Yes                     Yes                    Yes

Factions                                              Yes                    Yes                     Yes

Gear Upgrades                                   Yes                    Yes                     Yes

Looting                                                Yes                    Yes                     Yes

Emotes                                                Yes                    Yes                     Yes

* I am unaware of a FPSMMO that has crafting. Team Fortress is a FPS with crafting.

If it looks, walks and quacks like a duck......

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

This has been a common theme of mine in posts here.  First to combat WoW vacuuming up all its customers SWG introduced the NGE/CU (primarily the Combat Update).  This replaced tab-targeting with twitch-targeting (FPS).  For the players that remained, this was the last straw. I stayed and played for 2 more years.  SOE chose a focus group made up of console FPS gamers to poll.  As a result SOE ruined one of its Flagship games.  There were other changes like the removal of AFK macro leveling and the class restructure of the NGE (New Game Experience).  But those came in second and third in importance.

At the time there already was an MMOFPS, Planetside.  So why the push or need to se FPS combat in an MMORPG?  Failure to pwn in FPS.  The only reason console FPS gamers want FPS game mechanics in MMORPGs is to get access to weak opponents.  FPS does not add to the Story or Setting or Lore.  Its all about getting access to perceived sheep and fish in a barrel.

Devs think they are being innovative and original, but all FPSMMORPGs have failed to thrive.  I read a Devs say that there is no reason to limit RPGs to tab-targeting now that hardware can support FPS.  What this DEV doesn’t know is that RPG Gamers don’t want to FPS, and FPS console  gamers don’t want to RPG.  console FPS gamers want non-FPS opponents (easy kills) and nothing more from gaming.  They can’t get this in their console FPSs, so they turn to MMORPGs and demand FPS-targeting.

Just this week I read threads here that said,  “I don’t want grind/questing.”  This is code for give me FPS combat in your RGP so I can pwn,  like I don’t in console FPSs that I want to play.  When you see this kind of post demand what the alternative would be to quests in their mind?  I guarantee the answer will sound like Call of Modern Halo (see how I mashed up the names not to point at a single target, If I said CoD people would only think that one games mechanics and not the FPS genre).

Other code words used by console FPS gamers are faceroll, and skill based gaming.  MMORPG gamers know that tab-targetting is a strategic and skilled based combat system.  These gamers do equally well with either Tab-Targetting or FPS, these are not the gamers that console FPS gamers are looking for as opponents.  They are looking for easy kills people who are not skilled with either Tab-Targeting or FPS controls.

What they really need is a FPS game where they can pay some people to lose to them, like a FPS brothel (not for sex, just paid to lose at FPS).  Thats what they really want.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Konfess

This has been a common theme of mine in posts here.  First to combat WoW vacuuming up all its customers SWG introduced the NGE/CU (primarily the Combat Update).  This replaced tab-targeting with twitch-targeting (FPS).  For the players that remained, this was the last straw. I stayed and played for 2 more years.  SOE chose a focus group made up of console FPS gamers to poll.  As a result SOE ruined one of its Flagship games.  There were other changes like the removal of AFK macro leveling and the class restructure of the NGE (New Game Experience).  But those came in second and third in importance.

At the time there already was an MMOFPS, Planetside.  So why the push or need to se FPS combat in an MMORPG?  Failure to pwn in FPS.  The only reason console FPS gamers want FPS game mechanics in MMORPGs is to get access to weak opponents.  FPS does not add to the Story or Setting or Lore.  Its all about getting access to perceived sheep and fish in a barrel.

Devs think they are being innovative and original, but all FPSMMORPGs have failed to thrive.  I read a Devs say that there is no reason to limit RPGs to tab-targeting now that hardware can support FPS.  What this DEV doesn’t know is that RPG Gamers don’t want to FPS, and FPS console  gamers don’t want to RPG.  console FPS gamers want non-FPS opponents (easy kills) and nothing more from gaming.  They can’t get this in their console FPSs, so they turn to MMORPGs and demand FPS-targeting.

Just this week I read threads here that said,  “I don’t want grind/questing.”  This is code for give me FPS combat in your RGP so I can pwn,  like I don’t in console FPSs that I want to play.  When you see this kind of post demand what the alternative would be to quests in their mind?  I guarantee the answer will sound like Call of Modern Halo (see how I mashed up the names not to point at a single target, If I said CoD people would only think that one games mechanics and not the FPS genre).

Other code words used by console FPS gamers are faceroll, and skill based gaming.  MMORPG gamers know that tab-targetting is a strategic and skilled based combat system.  These gamers do equally well with either Tab-Targetting or FPS, these are not the gamers that console FPS gamers are looking for as opponents.  They are looking for easy kills people who are not skilled with either Tab-Targeting or FPS controls.

What they really need is a FPS game where they can pay some people to lose to them, like a FPS brothel (not for sex, just paid to lose at FPS).  Thats what they really want.

i think this post is probably classed as a headshot critical hit image image

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Originally posted by kalosjakar

I hate to be proven right, but here is a console FPS gamer playing the lack of skill card in this very thread.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

I know what you mean OP, I hate having to think, act and react while playing a game.

The only games I like are ones where I can macro everything to one button and just watch the game play itself.

Then again, I usually just pay somebody else to level my character.

I hate games you have to play, ugh, what a pain!  Blizzard gets it, $60 to max level?  Yes please!

• AtrigoAtrigo Member Posts: 44
    I guess it boils down to personal preference and the reason why you play games in the first place. I enjoy the RPG aspects of the genre, character and profession building. So my toon's capabilities and not my RL hand-eye coordination, keyboarding skills and internet connection are the major determining factor in game play. I play for a relaxing and fun experience, and not for the adrenaline rush/intensity. Probably one of the reasons I don't PvP. Its just not fun for me. Tab targeting does what it needs to do, make combat engaging and interesting for me. 
  • VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    I'm one of those strange gamers, apparently, that believes that different combat systems belong in different games. I can enjoy tab targeting in Aion or WoW and still enjoy more action combat systems in Tera and WildStar. I wouldn't expect any of those games to swap or change their styles.