Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not relaunch SWG pre-cu?

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by tawess

I: It is so old and did not look that good to begin with. By todays standard it would look like a sack of bricks

One of the most popular games today is Minecraft, if that's acceptable by today's standards pretty much anything is.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Well they could strip out all the IP's references and designs and release to open source the client and the server code, without any graphics, sounds or any other reference to copyrights and let the people fill it.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by tawess

I: It is so old and did not look that good to begin with. By todays standard it would look like a sack of bricks

One of the most popular games today is Minecraft, if that's acceptable by today's standards pretty much anything is.

While i could spend the rest of the day lecturing of the difference between a stylistic choice and degraded quality i do not feel i need to do that. The OP asked if i had some reasons for why it would not be relaunched... That was one.. but as you see it was also fairly low on the list and one can do a lot with a "simple" texture update.

Then again i think Minecraft look like utter dung too and it is the main reason i do not play it and why i look towards Landmark instead.

Originally posted by alakram
    Well they could strip out all the IP's references and designs and release to open source the client and the server code, without any graphics, sounds or any other reference to copyrights and let the people fill it.

That is a lot of work for something that will earn them no revenue and barley any goodwill.

This have been a good conversation

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Kopogero

It's a kickstarter.... which there have been plenty of sandboxes funded through, that can only work for so many titles eventually the money pool dries up, there's only so many gamers to go around.

The only unhealthy behavior being displayed here is that of those in this quote string above. Why bother yourself about what others want that you don't?

Putting people you don't know down is some of the unhealthiest behavior one can partake in.

I don't think I put anyone down, did I? I'm sorry if you feel that way. I'm not condoning their comments, but to suggest that there is a market for a game that is long dead and gone is ridiculous. Why not start a petition or something? Oh wait! They've already done that before. Hmmm, let's see. Change.org has a few petitions, the largest got 1500 people to sign. Not enough to even justify pressing the power button on the SWG build server. There is a petition to finish SW1313, though (9600 signatures), another for 1313 (2200 sigs). You know what? Start up a petition and get 100k, get 20k, get 10k then you can tell me there's something worth fussing over. I'm just stating fact that people don't care!! Shoot, almost a million people signed a petition to release GTA on PC, SWG can't even get 1% of that. 

Petitions are not an indicator to popularity since majority (including me) have not been aware or do not bother partcipating and wasting their times on. The only true test to see if the game is popular or not is to relaunch it. The underlined part above is also just your opinion and I vehemently disagree. The cost to relaunch the game with a single server that requires far less resources (thanks to the dated technology) is in my opinion insignificant compared to the price of not actually doing it and never having the opporunity to really know if there is a marker or not out there.

One thing is certain, if I someone who's been involved with gaming for 22+ years passionately wishes to play that game over anything else that's available out there, I'm sure I won't be a minority.

Unfortunately there are plenty of reasons not to simply "try it and see". What you're talking about is basically just tossing it out there without any support, which sounds nice, but there always needs to be someone on maintenance, some sort of hardware, someone to push the button and cycle servers, someone to handle your complaints, and so on and so forth. Problem is, re-launching it like this would basically be suiciding it because you don't have appropriate staff to help new people, potential customers, etc. If you were to re-launch it, you'd need to do it right. Trust me, if you got 100K sigs on a petition they could extrapolate that and figure out their potential market. You'd start to open some eyes. 

As per the highlighted part, to make the assumption that, based on your years of gaming experience, if you like it, everyone will, you don't really help your argument. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• krimson89krimson89 Member Posts: 31
    [mod edit]
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

A reminder about the rules of this forum:

• Unofficial Servers
      • Discussing or advertising unofficial servers or emulators for MMOs is not permitted on the MMORPG.com forums. These servers are against the Terms of Service of the original game, and violate the intellectual propriety rights of the game's publisher and developer.

This applies regardless of the state of those games. So any posts about these will be removed.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

I find it funny how many people say "cause no one played it back then, so why would they now". I assume the people who say that never played the game? They also probably where to young or just not into MMORPG's. Cause here is the thing. We are talking about SWG Pre sony screw up. Back then for its time it was a popular MMORPG. Unlike today back then a lot less people played games. In those years gaming was concidered something for nerds only. The MMORPG genre was even less populated , not until WoW the MMORPG genre became booming and next FPS the leading genre on pc gaming.

People have such a hard time to understand that. Back then a couple of thousand players was a lot. It was a niche genre and SWG  had a great community until they changed the game. Over one night they lost most of their community. Maybe these days those numbers are nothing, but back then it was a huge blow. After that the game never recovered from the blow. But that one isn't the version people talk about when they say they want SWG back. They want the times back the Jedi wasn't a class you could pick from the start but had to work your ass off to become one.

And how arrogant is it of people to say "the game is dead, no one played it, get over it those times are over". Is it really that weird that people who played the MMORPG genre before you did want their experience back they had back then? When a MMORPG was a world presented to you and do your thing in it, rather then holding your hand and telling you what to do and when to do it. I would love to see a remake of SWG with today's graphics and a better combat system as it is possible these days, back then they where limited. Yeah smart guys, back then the combat system was also limited cause of slower internet.

But really people, it where different times. A few thousand players back then where a massive crowd.

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Originally posted by Amana

• Unofficial Servers
      • Discussing or advertising unofficial servers or emulators for MMOs is not permitted on the MMORPG.com forums. These servers are against the Terms of Service of the original game, and violate the intellectual propriety rights of the game's publisher and developer.

This applies regardless of the state of those games. So any posts about these will be removed.

I could be wrong but i heard that the emulator is perfectly legal. Not to defend it and i won't name any names of the emulator, but a well known youtuber is having a series about that emulator and SONY nor Disney have seemed to step in either to stop the emulator, sounds pretty legal to me. And it is the old abandoned version on SWG, as long as you own the game legally it is legal to join that emulator.

If im wrong then im sorry and feel free to remove my post.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

How long would people play it stuck in time with no updates?

IF they did update it and people disagreed with the changes would they stamp their feet and leave like they did last time?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    You guys love to live under rocks, don't you? Here is why SOE will not re-release SWG : SOE had license of developing and publishing SW mmo game until may 2012. But on 2011 EAWare decided to release SWToR ahead of time because otherwise they were going to end up losing market. So there was a 3 party deal among EAWare-SOE-Lucas, SOE was compensated; the cash they received was not disclosed to press but it was assumed to be at least 50million$. SOE can not and will not break a legal financial deal and release SWG again. they recently acquired copyright of several  game mechanic of SWG and then said their next sandbox game is for SWG players; obviously they will release a game that will have the same game mechanic. yeah of course you guys won't have jedi or "may the fart be with you" in the new game but at least all the mechanics will be there.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

I thought a bunch of fans were rebuilding and running a pre cu version of this game if you miss it so much you can still play it from what I understand all you need is the original discs

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Jorendo

I find it funny how many people say "cause no one played it back then, so why would they now". I assume the people who say that never played the game? They also probably where to young or just not into MMORPG's. Cause here is the thing. We are talking about SWG Pre sony screw up. Back then for its time it was a popular MMORPG. Unlike today back then a lot less people played games. In those years gaming was concidered something for nerds only. The MMORPG genre was even less populated , not until WoW the MMORPG genre became booming and next FPS the leading genre on pc gaming.

People have such a hard time to understand that. Back then a couple of thousand players was a lot. It was a niche genre and SWG  had a great community until they changed the game. Over one night they lost most of their community. Maybe these days those numbers are nothing, but back then it was a huge blow. After that the game never recovered from the blow. But that one isn't the version people talk about when they say they want SWG back. They want the times back the Jedi wasn't a class you could pick from the start but had to work your ass off to become one.

And how arrogant is it of people to say "the game is dead, no one played it, get over it those times are over". Is it really that weird that people who played the MMORPG genre before you did want their experience back they had back then? When a MMORPG was a world presented to you and do your thing in it, rather then holding your hand and telling you what to do and when to do it. I would love to see a remake of SWG with today's graphics and a better combat system as it is possible these days, back then they where limited. Yeah smart guys, back then the combat system was also limited cause of slower internet.

But really people, it where different times. A few thousand players back then where a massive crowd.

Actually, MMORPG populations back then were generally bigger than the ones today.  EQ, FFXI, SWG, DAoC, and UO were all over 200k subs.  the last MMORPG to have over 200k subs after even its first year was LOTRO.  Maybe FFXIV has that actually.  SWG's 250k would be a big success in today's environment, but back then it wasnt a big deal at all.  And was definitely a population going in the wrong direction in an era were multi year growth was the norm and expectation.

Obviously WoW changed people's perception of what a population could be, but WoW remains an anomaly.  Had LucasArts and SoE been able to see into the future (not of NGE, but of the industry) perhaps they would have done things differently.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305

• Unofficial Servers

I could be wrong but i heard that the emulator is perfectly legal. Not to defend it and i won't name any names of the emulator, but a well known youtuber is having a series about that emulator and SONY nor Disney have seemed to step in either to stop the emulator, sounds pretty legal to me. And it is the old abandoned version on SWG, as long as you own the game legally it is legal to join that emulator.

You are not wrong, they have permission to do what they are doing until Disney decides to pull the plug, if they ever do. I am not sure why this site refuses to allow it to be discussed even though this is now well known information.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

• Unofficial Servers

Are you allowed to talk about them in general? As in, not mention any one specific server? Would it be against the rules if I said "hey, a lot of people still play on various private UO shards." ?

• coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272

It's nice of you to make excuses for a game that by SOE own acknowledgment was not successful.  So smart guy please explain this...

Subscriber numbers were originally expected to exceed 1,000,000.[59] In early 2006, unconfirmed reports showed that only 10,363 subscribers were playing on a particular Friday night, but Smedley denied that subscriptions had fallen this low.

They never ever came close to their expected numbers.  

Note Smed never denied only 10k were playing on a prime Friday night, and did not say how far subs actually did fall.  So as far back as '06 it's clear nobody was playing and the game was in maintenance mode for years until it closed.  So yes smart guy nobody played it back then nobody would play it now.  

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Kopogero

It's simply far superior than anything that is available out there and that will remain until 2015+ and that is the absolute and undeniable truth.

Because if that was true, there would be no need to ask why the game isn't being relaunched...

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Relaunching SWG would be about as successful as relaunching The Matrix Online. Popular phrases involving things like lead parachutes and chocolate fireguards spring to mind.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by dumpcat

• Unofficial Servers

You are not wrong, they have permission to do what they are doing until Disney decides to pull the plug, if they ever do. I am not sure why this site refuses to allow it to be discussed even though this is now well known information.

Its in a grey area.  Disney absolutely could shut it down if they felt like it.  SoE will never shut it down as long as Smedley is in charge.  its not taking away from either company financially and no profit is being made.

There is an emu server for a different game that *is* directly taking customers from SoE but they let that one go too.  Say what you want about Smedley, but anyone playing on one of those nameless servers should appreciate that Smedley is willing to look the other way for them.

The reason why the site doesnt like discussion is these servers are the exceptions rather than the norm.  most emu servers are illegal.  easier to blanket it for all servers than allowing one or two here and there.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The game is over 10 years old, the code was extremely buggy and re-launching it with old graphics and no fixes would just flop even if Disney didn't own the rights. The game was fairly low budget with a $8M budget, something today would be considered bad for an indie game.

What should be done is taking all the good ideas from the game and make a new game with modern graphics and a better engine. The game really did have plenty of good ideas after all.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Loke666

The game is over 10 years old, the code was extremely buggy and re-launching it with old graphics and no fixes would just flop even if Disney didn't own the rights. The game was fairly low budget with a $8M budget, something today would be considered bad for an indie game.

What should be done is taking all the good ideas from the game and make a new game with modern graphics and a better engine. The game really did have plenty of good ideas after all.

I agree with alot you say, the game was very buggy and if they would make a new SWG with the same formula and adding some stuff then it would be a hit but in all fairness I played SWG and I would never go back to that game. There were good stuff in it but to many problems to.

There is a reason it closed down, it didn't have a large enough playerbase and with the new Star Wars game on the horizon it was for them a good buisness move.

I googled SWG private servers and I found one but there was like 23 people online and there record was something like 300 online at the same time but if all you vets want to join just google it and you can still play your favorite game :)

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    Because it was terribly flawed. Yes, SOE made terrible mistakes with the fix they chose and since there are no mulligan allowed in MMO's, we'll never know what the right fix would have been. In its original state, however the game had some glaring issues.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Prhyme
    Because it was terribly flawed. Yes, SOE made terrible mistakes with the fix they chose and since there are no mulligan allowed in MMO's, we'll never know what the right fix would have been. In its original state, however the game had some glaring issues.

All of that is true.

And yet, SWG did things 10 years ago  that the developers of today say is "too hard":

Non-instanced player housing

Variable stat crafting and resource system

32+ prof dynamic skill system

Player run shops and vendors that tied into to a global market system

Multi-player ships on the Space game side

And that is just a few things off the top of my head, and things that people have asked for since then and other developers couldn't deliver, basically any of them.

What the game needed more than anything else was 6 month before launch to finish things up and stomp bugs. Launching early was one of SOE biggest mistakes with this game, only to be exceeded by the CU and NGE game revisions.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Re-launching SWG would be poor timing with the Repopulation around the corner.
  • shadylurkershadylurker Member Posts: 47

Pre CU sucked.  Post CU pre NGE is where it needs to be.

Im not going back to any game remotely close to pre CU SWG. EVER.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by shadylurker

[...] Post CU pre NGE is where it needs to be.

^

That era was good for TKs.

I must say that was pretty much my favorite era as well; a lot of things were broken then, though (ie splicing, etc).

This discussion has been closed.