Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't they Kickstarter to keep it going?

BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

This was the game I was most looking forward to playing and have been following it since it was announced.

Seeing as they actually have some parts of the game made already why don't  they run a kickstarter campaign to get it going again?

Too much pride because of EVE? I say who cares about that and do it so I can drop a $50 and hope it gets made.

Comments

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271

They are not short of money, they are short of ideas.

What kind of vampire game does not have the sun as a major feature and threat?

And how do they keep the game from turning into a DayZ clone, DayV?

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Yeah the problem wasn't money, it was quality. Best to leave it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    The best hope is they sell or license the IP to someone with the vision and funding to make it a reality.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Crowd funding alone does not a good game make....
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Originally posted by BruceYee

This was the game I was most looking forward to playing and have been following it since it was announced.

Seeing as they actually have some parts of the game made already why don't  they run a kickstarter campaign to get it going again?

Too much pride because of EVE? I say who cares about that and do it so I can drop a $50 and hope it gets made.

I think ccp was pretty low to do that.  I don't know what else to say. They should have at the very least, since money isn't their problem made the code free to every one. Then some one could of put it out. 

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Originally posted by Bunnyking
    Yeah the problem wasn't money, it was quality. Best to leave it.

I doubt quality was the reason really. I mean they released dust didn't they.

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

If a MMO that is developed so far and sucked up so much development costs and time gets axed it has a reason.

The game obviously did not meet the expected quality. They did not want to make a bland F2P title but a blockbuster.

Sometimes it is better to just suck it up and move on.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Ket_Viliano

They are not short of money, they are short of ideas.

What kind of vampire game does not have the sun as a major feature and threat?

And how do they keep the game from turning into a DayZ clone, DayV?

I think the twenty-one million dollars that CCP lost last year says you're wrong about the money.  They may have run out of ideas, but they were certainly going to run into the point of not actually having money if they continued.

But, why not Kickstarter?  Lots of reaons, actually.  It might not raise enough money.  They might reach their goal and still not have enough money to finish the game.  They may not want to try a Kickstarter and then fail.  They may not want to reveal in any way how much money it would cost to finish the game.  Maybe they really did run out of ideas, or they realized that the game would not sell very well.  The real reasons are as endless as the speculation about why they are not going to finish the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170

As far as I know, one of their ideas was to simulate realistically the movement of a vampire. In order to do so, they were not not use rendered animation but a dynamic system that would allow the movement of hair and clothes to be in accordance with the in-game weather, wind, speed of movement of the character.

Not only that, there were other rather ambitious and avant-garde systems to be used in-game. Unfortunately, they discovered that potential users would need a last-generation rigs in order to run the game. This is one of the reasons - based on what i read about this game - for the project to be canceled.

Then, there is the implementation of the day-night cycle, as well as the political considerations with regards to factions, humans that turn into vampires and its political implications, just to put an example.

In conclusion: A very ambitious project that got discarded because more immediate priorities, that in turn are easier to commercialize on the short term (Valkyrie, Legion, EVE expansion).

My 2 cents fellas...

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

It just seems like they axed it REALLY quickly after working on it for years. I know it's impossible to judge gameplay from screenshots but after seeing them in another thread it looks like they were heading in the right direction.

At the end of the day I know this game will probably never be revived and has went the way of Perpetual Studio's STO, Stargate Online and now lay in what could-have-been MMO graveyard.

Sad.sad.sad.