Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concerned about people driving cost of games up.

2»

Comments

• holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I like some f2p games.  Dota 2 for example, I enjoy it a lot.  I usually buy a key now and then (so I look epic) or The International Compendium.  I do so to help support the games I like.  I also like the funds going towards the Dota 2 Esport.
  • holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154

Wanted to thank everyone for their input on this subject. 

One final thought, a lot of people making points about how cigarettes and other games cost in the past.  I remember microwave ovens where 400-500 dollars at least, now I can get one for 49.99 at Target,lol

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by holyneo

Its not just with Archeage. Look at games like Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online and others.  It starts small like $74.99 and now we are seeing 150 and 450.00

If companies are increasing the costs, there must be a demand.  I wouldn't have a problem with $$$ amount if the quality increased as well.  I am not seeing the quality  lately since alot of games still seem like beta a pond release lately.  Wildstar being the exception(because its in beta still)

I kind of agree here and find myself just not getting into this genre anymore. And i do feel these people paying for these alpha's are going to hurt all mmo gamers sooner or later. And like someone said, these same people will quit the game sooner or later. Today hardly anyone sticks to a game anymore. And its because they are all generic copies of what ever is popular.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Throw your money at Wildstar if you want to see even more future WoW clones.

Throw your money at games like Repopulation if you want to see changes.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Its not just with Archeage. Look at games like Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online and others.  It starts small like $74.99 and now we are seeing 150 and 450.00

If companies are increasing the costs, there must be a demand.  I wouldn't have a problem with $$$ amount if the quality increased as well.  I am not seeing the quality  lately since alot of games still seem like beta a pond release lately.  Wildstar being the exception(because its in beta still)

STO had a life time sub and went free to play about a year after launch.

Neverwinter had buying into their founders thing.

SWTOR had a VIP pack that was like 200 bucks.

This is nothing new, this isn't driving the price up, this has been happening for like... 6 years.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

yeah the majority of the playerbase will never pay ridiculous prices for anything(they'd rather get it for free if possible).. so prices wont be going up. we've allready seen lots of complaints about the 60$ box prices + sub on the newer releases.. if they push the prices too much people will simply vote with their wallets as they say.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Wanted to thank everyone for their input on this subject. 

One final thought, a lot of people making points about how cigarettes and other games cost in the past.  I remember microwave ovens where 400-500 dollars at least, now I can get one for 49.99 at Target,lol

There's a bit more to that.

Having a new technology that no one owns is definitely going to cost you. Having a ubiquitous technology that probably costs a lot less to make now then when it was first introduced is going to mean that everyone can have one and not think twice about it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

yeah the majority of the playerbase will never pay ridiculous prices for anything(they'd rather get it for free if possible).. so prices wont be going up. we've allready seen lots of complaints about the 60$ box prices + sub on the newer releases.. if they push the prices too much people will simply vote with their wallets as they say.

But that's why we are having all sort of "special edition boxed sets" and "get into alpha/beta" packages.

Game development is going up and yet game companies are a bit constrained in what they can charge. I'm not saying they are completely blameless because there are all sorts of stories about wasteful companies and mismanagement.

But if the core of a player base is not willing to pay more as needed, companies are going to figure out ways to make that money.

I can't help think that part of this is really "some" players' fault as over the years those who were willing to spend hundreds (and thousands!) of dollars buying gold, getting power-levelled, getting items etc, gave proof that there was definitely a market for video game merchandise.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Sovrath

But that's why we are having all sort of "special edition boxed sets" and "get into alpha/beta" packages.

Game development is going up and yet game companies are a bit constrained in what they can charge. I'm not saying they are completely blameless because there are all sorts of stories about wasteful companies and mismanagement.

But if the core of a player base is not willing to pay more as needed, companies are going to figure out ways to make that money.

I can't help think that part of this is really "some" players' fault as over the years those who were willing to spend hundreds (and thousands!) of dollars buying gold, getting power-levelled, getting items etc, gave proof that there was definitely a market for video game merchandise.

that's what cash shops are for.. smart ones have lots of flashy stuff available(cosmetic crap) that cost money but is'nt necessary and they can make a ton of cash on that. some people will spend lots of dollars on it but still the majority wont even bother.. so basically those with plenty to spend will do so and those without will not.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

Originally posted by Sovrath

that's what cash shops are for.. smart ones have lots of flashy stuff available(cosmetic crap) that cost money but is'nt necessary and they can make a ton of cash on that. some people will spend lots of dollars on it but still the majority wont even bother.. so basically those with plenty to spend will do so and those without will not.

That's only if they value cosmetic items.

If game company "x" releases a set of "new hats" they are taking a gamble that their player base is going to buy these "new hats".

Some might but some might not. I would think over time a game company would have decent metrics outlining some percentage of their player base who "might" buy a hat.

But then they are gambling on a very specific type of item marketed toward "whatever" the % of players who might buy that.

I certainly wouldn't run a business that way. I would have a variety of virtual items (assuming that I ran a f2p game) that might appeal to a broader segment of my playerbase. This way if the new "hats" didn't catch on then "lock box chests" might still make me some money.

Or, if the game was at the start I would offer significant incentives for people to "buy into" alpha and beta like we are now seeing.

Remember, this is not some club or some party where you chip in for the beer. It takes a lot of money to run a company and to employ people. I wouldn't bet my business on "hats".

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Its been happening for a while now. You see it clearly with EA selling half assed games for $60 and then offering the full game for $70-$80 and calling it Deluxe Edition for some eye candy. And on top of that the premium stuff for the DLC. (Isnt the deluxe edition higher price because it has the DLCs? nope.... )

Why do we keep getting more and more shady deals? because of consumers who support them. It happens because the number of supporters is high enough to make the impact. Unfortunately...

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Its all short term profit, the publishers want to earn money now, they don´t care if last long scoring now and hope for best.

This way of thinking is offcouse stupid because if 10 people buying founders pack because they can afford it instead of 100 if it was a normal pack the mouth 2 mouth would be tenfolded.

Many people have money to spent to some point a 1000 people can posibly spent easy let´s 20 bucks but if the prise go up lets say 50 bucks i can assure you only half will buy maybe even less.

In the long run it´s a lost cause if it concerning PC parts with to high prices or games it don´t matter inlong run the market will correct it self.

Btw what if only few buying the game because of those prices i´ll bet the prices go down quickly.

If people can spent 30 bucks max they cannot spent 50 bucks maybe one time because they realy want it, but not all the time.

Don´t buy the product if you think it´s to expensive only POWER you have because complaining about it but still buying won´t change anything the publishers or company´s selling the product getting rich they laugh and your wallet is more empty.

Don´t buy problem soon solved.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Nothing wrong with founder packs as long as a there is a basic version avail. Now paying to get into an early beta - that's a whole different matter.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D