Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The All Time Ultimate Space Adventure MMO

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by Apraxis

Massive battles with 100 (!!!!!) player ships visible at the same time, seamless areas, wherever you go there can be up to 100 players on your close range radar, plus NPC ships . Massive, massive epic size fleet battles.

To be clear here.. They aiming for 100 player ships visible at the same time. At takeing Battlefield 64 vs 64 matches as comparsion it will most likely be possible. But that can change. But as i said in the post before it is a lot like Age of Conan in that regard.. in Age of Conan every zone was limited to 100 or 99 players.

100 is a great number, everything less would not qualify for a modern online game, so many ships on the screen is already more than anyone can count in the heat of a battle.

50-70 is the new number (does that includes NPCs?).

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/14/consoles-couldnt-possibly-handle-star-citizen-developer-says/

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/158843/50-to-70-per-instance/p1

It's a bit of a letdown due of the focus on organisations. Does it still qualify for a modern online game I wonder?

NPCs extra

it's not a new number it will scale with hardware. 100+ will still happen when the optimization kicks in

Just look at Planetside 2

and SC has real servers, not some wonky peer to peer lagfest system

• I'm looking forward to playing the game despite the outdated online component. I'll hopefully be too busy pew pewing with my X52 Pro HOTAS and Rift to have time for counting above 70 (or 50 maybe), thus avoiding instantly shifting my expression of glee at the glory of 3d space combat into one of absolute horror as a result of realising the game doesn't hit the magical number of exactly 100.

• BallsoutBallsout Member UncommonPosts: 70
    They definitely put a lot work into these videos to hook people and generate hype. i wonder how many more cash ships they will make before they make you buy into pre-alpha. Then buy into alpha, sell more ships, then buy into pre-beta, then beta. lol

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

can you even believe it?

Angels Fall First

http://youtu.be/y0rDb73KxWs

I have been playing this Ut3 MOD forever, always wondered, why, WHY is no one turning this into a commercial product?

Now it's happening. Unbelievable. The game? Star Citizen.

Tactical FPS, ship hoarding, ship boarding, station defending, cap ship conquering with assault teams, flying ships through a gigantic universe, multi crew ships, guilds and organizations, plus mining, trading.

This is the game. This is the BDSSE. Thank you Chris Roberts, you're da man.

Yes, a game where people keep buying ships every month and will launch in 2020

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

and SC has real servers, not some wonky peer to peer lagfest system

Hope this isn't a mmo divided in servers with like 1000-5000 player limits and instances?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Read the title, and just had to post.  

Why are you talking about ED in the SC section?  

I wonder why some people are trolling and spouting lies in every Starcitizen thread?

of course SC is an MMO, the most massive space MMO ever made in fact. They have a huge server architecture already, no other space game has that, ready for millions of players. No lagfest peer2peer wonky concept limited to 16 ships.

Massive battles with 100 (!!!!!) player ships visible at the same time, seamless areas, wherever you go there can be up to 100 players on your close range radar, plus NPC ships . Massive, massive epic size fleet battles.

So much miss information. 

Elite is not laggy and the cap is 32, not 16.

SC is hopping to have 50-70, they dropped the 100 some time ago.  And currently they are having major problems going over 16, CIG's own words.   

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Apraxis

To be clear here.. They aiming for 100 player ships visible at the same time. At takeing Battlefield 64 vs 64 matches as comparsion it will most likely be possible. But that can change. But as i said in the post before it is a lot like Age of Conan in that regard.. in Age of Conan every zone was limited to 100 or 99 players.

BF4 is 32 vs 32.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by TheYear1500

I wonder why some people are trolling and spouting lies in every Starcitizen thread?

of course SC is an MMO, the most massive space MMO ever made in fact. They have a huge server architecture already, no other space game has that, ready for millions of players. No lagfest peer2peer wonky concept limited to 16 ships.

This. I've never had a problem with lag in Elite and my connection is bad.

FD came out and said their biggest challenge is networking and up to now it's been working great for a beta.

[mod edit]

..Cake..

Originally posted by sgel

FD came out and said their biggest challenge is networking and up to now it's been working great for a beta.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Besides, misinformation? I don´t even care about this Limit Theory or Elte or Eve or X rebirth or any other title out there in a SC thread.

It is a fact that ED has

a) extremely low budget compared to SC

b) no story campaigns, no avatars, no motion capturing, no planets to land on, not even real missions at this point, no guilds, no endgame etc. etc. in fact all you can do is dock, buy and sell on stations, and shoot at some ships. YES; FACT.

Bringing up this title in SC threads is completely inappropriate and makes me wonder if this is just about mo´ money gaining for their expensive 100$ beta procedural experiment, which is trying to ride the SC success bandwagon.

[mod edit]

DocBrody has continuously spouted misinformation about the game.

[mod edit]

Besides, misinformation? I don´t even care about this Limit Theory or Elte or Eve or X rebirth or any other title out there in a SC thread.

It is a fact that ED has

b) no story campaigns, no avatars, no motion capturing, no planets to land on, not even real missions at this point, no guilds, no endgame etc. etc. in fact all you can do is dock, buy and sell on stations, and shoot at some ships. YES; FACT.

Bringing up this title in SC threads is completely inappropriate and makes me wonder if this is just about mo´ money gaining for their expensive 100$ beta procedural experiment, which is trying to ride the SC success bandwagon.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

a) budget =/= quality, never has 

b) It will have avatars, use motion capture, it will have planetary landing (in fact it will be real planetary landing unlike SC's cutscenes), It has real missions now.  What is endgame in a sandbox game?  SC does not have an endgame either.  Sorry but that is not a fact, but seems like you don't know a lot of things.  

SC will have limited landing sites that you will get to by a loading screen.  Limited exploration, hell its not even real exploration, just treasure hunting like most MMO's.   

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    This thread is a great thread.  Two bickering fan bases who have nothing to fall back on yet just argue with each other.  It's would be like watching a game between the Mets and the Jets...if that was possible.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Man this game has more HYPE that ArcheAge and GW2 combined. I am waiting to see. I have been burned by games before that have been so hyped, only to find they are nothing like what the hype has made them look out to me.

Remember the old adage, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me'.

[mod edit]

It is a fact that ED has

You obviously don't know that Elite has private backers.... so you misinform people again.

Also budget means nothing anymore, there's plenty of games with much lower budgets than other games and immensely better gameplay.

You create stories.. it's a sandbox. No planets to land on? That's a feature that's being added. IT has real missions and what on earth is an endgame in a sandbox game?

What of these features does SC currently have? Or did you just compare what Elite has now to what SC will have in a few years time?

Elite beta is already a huge success. if you would bother to read any beta reviews whatsoever. All SC has done for now is amass 51million dollars.

[mod edit]

..Cake..

Star Citizen hit 2 stretch goals at once!

Now almost 52$ MILLION BUDGET!

Here the latest letter from CR plus Gamescom Presentation Video

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14089-Letter-From-The-Chairman

New "Around the Verse" episode is out!!

With gamescom footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn8qKAV2ATA
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,852
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Originally posted by screecwe
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Take some time to read all of the in-universe fiction that has been put out. Especially check out the 13 writer's guides which reveal an extremely detailed universe including the extensive timeline. There was even a video detailing how the concept art guys had to create architecture for every era. For each era, the writers had to create reasons why the architecture was how was  and they had to do mixes of them on each planet. Because in reality, why would a planet have ALL one era of buildings? 

Transcript of pages

Not to mention the script for Squadron 42 was at 1000+ pages whereas a normal script would be 120. They're trying to cut it down to 500, but they're not sure yet. 

No, thanks image

That's nice and all, but it doesn't matter how many pages they have if they fail to pull it together at the end.  A script without a sound director does not a polished experience make.  I'm not invested enough in this game to pour through all that to try and determine whether or not it will be; I think I'll wait and see what the final product looks like.  Knock yourself out, though.

Originally posted by screecwe
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    seems  today  players have no idea what is an MMO game,SC is not MMO it is SP game with MP

Uhh.. How do you figure?

Massive?        √

Multiplayer?    √

Online?           √

The wikipedia entry has "MMO" listed as: A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet. MMOs usually have at least one persistent world, however some games differ. These games can be found for most network-capable platforms, including the personal computer, video game console, or smartphones and other mobile devices.

It has a single Persistent Universe with a large number of players where your actions affect the entire PU for other players. Maybe this might not fit YOUR personal definition of an MMO, but the rest of us go by the actual definition.

The double M in MMORPG, MMOG, or MMO as it's often shortened to these days actually stands for "Massively Multiplayer". It has nothing to do with the size or scope of the game, it has to do with the number of interactions between players playing the game. You can't split those two Ms up without changing the original meaning of the term.[1]

Saying a game is Massive has nothing to do specifically with the number of interactions between players.  Massively Multiplayer is really an inseparable term.  It's not important to this game in particular, but if you're going to argue semantics at least get the terms right.

Anyway, the title of this thread is somewhat ludicrous, and I feel like I'm shedding too many neurons here.  That's all from this one for a while.

I was just going to say something to that effect. The term is "Massively" not "Massive. It is used as a disjunct to describe the term "Multiplayer" , not the game itself.

So yet another patch late.

This makes it 100% success rate for CIG being late on releasing every single AC content patch.

And this is just for the AC demo.

We'll be lucky if we're playing the finished game in 2019.

..Cake..

• TestSubject102TestSubject102 Member Posts: 46
    [mod edit]

It is a fact that ED has

You obviously don't know that Elite has private backers.... so you misinform people again.

Also budget means nothing anymore, there's plenty of games with much lower budgets than other games and immensely better gameplay.

You create stories.. it's a sandbox. No planets to land on? That's a feature that's being added. IT has real missions and what on earth is an endgame in a sandbox game?

What of these features does SC currently have? Or did you just compare what Elite has now to what SC will have in a few years time?

Elite beta is already a huge success. if you would bother to read any beta reviews whatsoever. All SC has done for now is amass 51million dollars.

[mod edit]

Sigh... I can't remember my old account, but seeing you post bitter pessemastic nonsense about SC over and over again in each thread, then finally seeing your true colours, an Elite: Dangerous fanboy looking to compare and critisize... but so quick to defend ED's shortcomings is hypocritical and laughable.

1) Budget isn't the only issue here, didn't ED have around $15 with their latest figures? with angel investment and backers. either that or $20. fantastic. But I'ts not just about budget, its about fanbase size and following. no matter how much you moan... MANY more people are interested in SC than ED.... that is a bottom line of it all.

2) One of the reasons its not so compariable.... SC will have a full SP campaign, custom server and mod support. even if there is the possibiltiy of the PU not living up to hype .... and ED being better as a PU .... ultimately ... SC has far greater potential from its community and the cry engines' mod resources and user base.

3) Its FUNNY and the most HYPOCRITICAL point of your entire rant in these threads about "In a few years time" considering you love to neglect that ED has been the pipeline on and off for years. It seems the only real arguement ED fanboys have is "Oh the game is actually out... therefore it is automatically better in every way...." yea fantastic.....

But wait... here comes the kicker... "Oh ED will have Planet Traveling, First Person Shooting, Boarding ect soon!" yet the official FAQ states "First expansion for planatary travel "WILL LIKELY (LOL LIKELY) COME A YEAR AFTER LAUNCH" ....

Oh ... so basically... all those features it "will have that SC is activly developing" (Except seemless planet travel) will.... be... playable..... AFTER its playable in Star Citizen.... (FPS this year, and likely multi crew ships ect in later AC builds).

4) I love how you never mention ED's massive current community conflict based on their poor decisions with "Alienating single players and MP focused players for carebears and the likes" causing the MP side of the community to be highly annoyed with its direction in making the world feel LONELY because people can opt in and out of MP to a "degree".

5) Nevermind its very basic mission structure... sure all its features are in place, but considering how long its been in developement it is hypcritical to say SC is going slow. completely.

*** Bottom Line Here *** both games have different developement focuses.... .. the PU happens to be last on the list for SC where it came pretty damn early ED's alpha... but I'l be damned if the dogfighting in ED is anywhere close to SC's in the same timeframe.

I want to address those people whining about "Wasting money on CGI, and the game is probably Souless".

I dunno what you people consider souless.... I like both SC and ED ... but to me, ED's theme is FAR more souless.... from the ship design, to the empty feeling of endless space and light on player interaction (inb4 some fans jump on me for this CURRENT REALITY) ...

But to ME the trailers, the enphasis on lore and detail, and ads from the different ship companies, the current hangers and ship designs in SC far outclass EDs ..... everything about SC so far screams soul. Putting a huge enphasis on the experience, on the love for the ships and companies that drive them similar to cars in reality.

So yea, you can see them as ways to get people to buy ships. it is. but it's also building up a fanstic image of the product at the same time. I think his experience with both film and game work in his favour in this regard....

Also about money milking.

I completely agree that people are insane for donating loads.

I payed £40 ... for every stage of developement, for a good ship 325a and some other goodies. but once again to the ED Fanboys .... How would I have to have payed to play ED early? what was it originally? oh £200? (£150+)?  .... HYPOCRITS.

Conclusion

Both will be good games, but in very different ways, the one major similarity is they both are space sims with a persistant universe... but how they approach it is completely different.

ED - will despite what fanboys want to claim, will remain a nicher product. that will not achieve anywhere close to the population, community interest and budget that SC will.... that few years head start may quickly become redundant, especially with the CryEngine modding community involved with SC.... BUT the game is great as it is.... and will have more features sooner.

I feel that this is the major reason people are so adamantly defending ED... because its more complete and they don't like waiting. or they are die hard elite fans that don't like another space sim recieving far more attention.

SC - 0.9 Arena commander is a superb step in the right direction. the combat speed is now intense... the sound is absolutely stellar, physics, guns everything is absolutely in its own league. even if the game never had a PSU it would no doubt become the best bloody space dog fighting game on its own.

The game is shaping up nicely. the doom and gloom at this point is ridiculous.

Update - 

So yet another patch late.

This makes it 100% success rate for CIG being late on releasing every single AC content patch.

And this is just for the AC demo.

We'll be lucky if we're playing the finished game in 2019.

Proof is in the pudding really... a week delay was due to critical bugs, considering that "AC Demo" included a lot of back end connectivity to the websites, other users and leaderboards, an important step foward towards PSU ... and probably the most siginifigant AC patch since AC launched... by an absolute landslide. Let along the complete hanger modular rework ect.

Honestly.... what the hell is up with you?

• Painbringer7Painbringer7 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    All this excitement over Wing Commander 2?........I just don't get it (apparently not my cup of tea).

The code of the pessimistic loner: "We unpopular loners are realists, who follow the three non- popular principles: Not having any (Hope), Not making any (Gaps in your heart); And not giving into (Sweet talk)".

• TestSubject102TestSubject102 Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Painbringer7
    All this excitement over Wing Commander 2?........I just don't get it (apparently not my cup of tea).

Wing Commander 2 is hardly a realistic look at the game is it?

• Painbringer7Painbringer7 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by TestSubject102

Wing Commander 2 is hardly a realistic look at the game is it?

You zoom around in space and blow each other up right? The impression I got from the video is a very complex PvP browler based on high level in game physics.  Sounds like Wing Commander with alot of new features.   As I said I'm not really all that interested anyway, so.....

The code of the pessimistic loner: "We unpopular loners are realists, who follow the three non- popular principles: Not having any (Hope), Not making any (Gaps in your heart); And not giving into (Sweet talk)".

wow new letter of the chairman is out!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14172-Letter-From-The-Chairman

"We have passed $54 million in crowd funding, and we have two groups to thank: racers who picked up M50s and 350Rs during our sale… and new backers who are just discovering Star Citizen! I’m proud to announce that since the $53 million letter we have added almost 10,000 new Citizens to our ranks. Thank you for making this possible, and especially affirming my belief that the best way to sell the dream of Star Citizen is to let our backers spread the word. Every new backer makes the game better… so tell your friends!

Before we talk about stretch goals, I’d like to share some work from Foundry 42. You may have seen a few seconds of this video on a recent Around the Verse, but here it is in its full glory: the Retaliator greyboxing status update! The Retaliator is a heavy, multi-crew bomber that’s going to play like nothing you’ve seen in a space sim before… please enjoy seeing how much detail the team in Manchester is putting into the ship.

At the $54 million level, you’ve unlocked additional AI activities for the persistent world!

More Detailed AI Activities – we’ll add ten distinct types of AI character roles on planetside environments! At $54 million, this includes Bartender, Doctor, Entertainer, Nurse, Sanitation Worker, Security Guard, Shopper, Tourist, Vagrant and Vandal. Future AI roles will be added with future stretch goals! Each additional ‘class’ of character will be fully expressive and have a role to play in Star Citizen’s planetside interaction AND the game’s greater economy.

One of the great things Tony Zurovec has brought to the process is a desire to enhance the planetside portion of Star Citizen well beyond my original goals. He wants to see a living, breathing world on our planetside landouts, complete with AI and player roles that you don’t ordinarily associate with a space combat game. So adding things like security guards, shoppers, tourists and vagrants, each with their own form and function, to the game is another step to making it more of a real world!

The winner of last week’s “ship upgrade” reward poll was…

Ballistic Gatling – Preacher Armament Inquisition XXII: Preacher’s Inquisition XXII is the weapon to turn to when you want complete target saturation. Its dual-ammo feed allows you to hotswap feeds without exiting your ship, giving every owner the ultimate flexibility to pick the ammo based on the situation.

Every backer who pledges before we hit $55 million will have a pair of Inquisition XXII ballistic Gatling cannons added to their accounts! Since the poll was such a success, we’re going to continue it for the next stretch goal. We’ve removed the lowest performing option… and then we’ve added three more! Each of these new upgrades corresponds to a specific Arena-ready hull type… so you can choose based on the component or the ship! Which would you like as your $56 million gift?

Engine – Dragon Stellar STC Silver (300 Series): The STC Silver from Dragon Stellar Transit Company is a TR4 engine noted for its high thrust output and low EM emissions. It has been rumored that Dragon Stellar has been using inferior components, but for some pilots the decreased power and fuel efficiency is worth the extra boost, especially at this price point.

Power Plant – Broad & Rabiee Quietech M120 (Hornet): The largest class in the M series, Quietech M120 from Broad & Rabiee is a dynamic Superfluid Quantum Vortex power plant system that is capable of handling all your ship’s energy needs with a minimum of emissions. Ideally constructed for anyone who’s looking not looking to make an impression while travelling through a system.

Jump Drive – Tarsus Leaper Jump Engine (Aurora): The first step to the universe beyond. The Leaper Jump Engine from Tarsus connects with your onboard NavDrive to allow your ship to access jump points. The Leaper also includes an introductory scanning software package to try your hand at discovering the undiscovered.

For full descriptions of all the other options, please check out my previous letter.

As I have said before and I will no doubt say again, thank you all. Star Citizen has been the best experience of my career… and it’s because of the incredible community that has come together to support this game. Seeing us hit $54 million is incredible… and so is seeing you come together to support the Lego Hornet, or seeing Citizens host events and becoming friends because of this game. I am so thoroughly happy that you are coming together in so many ways to make the world I’m building your own."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3ZvnUnUkU#t=43

Absolutely the best space sim ever. 

..Cake..