Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC vs console.

hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621

You know I was toying with the idea to sold my PC to buy a ps4 , when I heard about the streaming to the vita. Not that I really believed, they said the same thing about the ps3. Any was I honestly don't think it would be able to do it anyways. We'll over the years with my mobile stuff from tablets to phones, and vita . I always tried to stream my high end PC games to it. It never seemed to work right, until now. I think this at least for me makes PC so far above ps4 or Xbox one those thoughts of even toying about getting one, even if I had the extra money are gone.

i just streamed 1080p or 1080 at 60 fps metro last light from my PC to my I pad air, it was on max settings, minus no physx because I have a 290x. Any ways it didn't skip was easy to control and playable. This is amazing to me, to have the power of my huge desktop in the palm of my hands. Now I can play any game I want any where around my house, or outside. 

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by hatefulpeace

You know I was toying with the idea to sold my PC to buy a ps4 , when I heard about the streaming to the vita. Not that I really believed, they said the same thing about the ps3. Any was I honestly don't think it would be able to do it anyways. We'll over the years with my mobile stuff from tablets to phones, and vita . I always tried to stream my high end PC games to it. It never seemed to work right, until now. I think this at least for me makes PC so far above ps4 or Xbox one those thoughts of even toying about getting one, even if I had the extra money are gone.

i just streamed 1080p or 1080 at 60 fps metro last light from my PC to my I pad air, it was on max settings, minus no physx because I have a 290x. Any ways it didn't skip was easy to control and playable. This is amazing to me, to have the power of my huge desktop in the palm of my hands. Now I can play any game I want any where around my house, or outside. 

Consoles have never fared all that well compared to PC's, in terms of hardware and capability at least, but if you had to buy a console, then the PS4 would probably be the best choice in terms of games, though mostly based on games soon to come, at the moment there is no real reason to buy any of the next gen consoles, especially if you already have a capable PC, though i would question anyones choice of an ipad over the many other competitor tablets. But thats mostly because i absolutely refuse to have anything to do with itunesimage.

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Originally posted by Phry

Consoles have never fared all that well compared to PC's, in terms of hardware and capability at least, but if you had to buy a console, then the PS4 would probably be the best choice in terms of games, though mostly based on games soon to come, at the moment there is no real reason to buy any of the next gen consoles, especially if you already have a capable PC, though i would question anyones choice of an ipad over the many other competitor tablets. But thats mostly because i absolutely refuse to have anything to do with itunesimage.

I agree. It wasent really 100 percent my choice. I didn't have 650 in cash, but I did have AT&T . The I pad air was the best choice out of their tablets. This is my first apple product ever and I am not all that impressed. My note 3 has way more power , and doesn't feel like nazis are controlling me through I tunes. I tunes is the worst thing I have ever seen. It wouldn't let me download free apps, with out a credit card. It wouldn't let me use pay pal, which is the only thing I use for online purchases, due to I feel safe with it. I had to set it up on my PC I tunes to get pay pal to work. It feels very limited if I was going to use it for apples apps. I use it with splash top that's the only app I need. The only thing I like is the display with is why I got it. Everything I want is on my PC, which I can easily control from my I pad, and since the I pad has such a nice screen it looks just as good as my tv. 

I don't care about power, because all the power is on my PC. But yeah apple compared to android if one is comparing function of just the apps and freedom, apple is a big joke. Android with the roms, the custom stuff, sad card ect, makes the I pad seem to me more like monopoly jr compared to monopoly. I really feel the I pad was designed for like 7 year olds. The Retina display

9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display with IPS technology

2048-by-1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating, is the only thing I was interested in, and it is impressive. When the warranty is out, I am 100  percent jail braking it, and deleting anything apple gives out.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I agree. It wasent really 100 percent my choice. I didn't have 650 in cash, but I did have AT&T . The I pad air was the best choice out of their tablets. This is my first apple product ever and I am not all that impressed. My note 3 has way more power , and doesn't feel like nazis are controlling me through I tunes. I tunes is the worst thing I have ever seen. It wouldn't let me download free apps, with out a credit card. It wouldn't let me use pay pal, which is the only thing I use for online purchases, due to I feel safe with it. I had to set it up on my PC I tunes to get pay pal to work. It feels very limited if I was going to use it for apples apps. I use it with splash top that's the only app I need. The only thing I like is the display with is why I got it. Everything I want is on my PC, which I can easily control from my I pad, and since the I pad has such a nice screen it looks just as good as my tv. 

I don't care about power, because all the power is on my PC. But yeah apple compared to android if one is comparing function of just the apps and freedom, apple is a big joke. Android with the roms, the custom stuff, sad card ect, makes the I pad seem to me more like monopoly jr compared to monopoly. I really feel the I pad was designed for like 7 year olds. The Retina display

Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating, is the only thing I was interested in, and it is impressive. When the warranty is out, I am 100  percent jail braking it, and deleting anything apple gives out.

I have a kindle fire, i never intended to get one, but the wife had a win on bingo and bought it for me, its handy for when i want to read in the dark image

I have a kindle fire, i never intended to get one, but the wife had a win on bingo and bought it for me, its handy for when i want to read in the dark image

I would rather play my current Mmo, or sky rim in full he 60 fps in the dark:).

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

The whole idea of the Xbox ONE is built around the cloud, so like you don't care about the power as the power is in your PC. The Xbox ONE is like the I pad air, and their servers will be like the PC with the power, which is why MS did not need to make the Xbox ONE powerful. The Xbox ONE could last many decades and still improve, as MS upgrade their systems, while the PS4 will only last the usual 10 years, then need to release a PS5 and be another fresh start

Forza 5 uses the cloud, and freed up console resources to make it run at 1080p 60FPS. Without the cloud it would not have managed 60FPS. Drive Club on PS4 is only going to be 30FPS.

Originally posted by Robokapp

All the PC vs Console debates would end when we'd realize there is a medium in between them: Laptop.

you can play on the couch, you can play in living room, you can play on the big TV, you can play with a keyboard and mouse, you can play with a joystick, you can play with a pad, you can play with a controller...

I don't know how you can compare a laptop to what I am talking about. I just looked up a  1900 dollar laptop, which is more than my i5 3570k 290x PC, and I pad. These laptops last no where near as long as a I pad, while gaming. These laptops get so hot they almost burn you, the keyboards can get to over 100 degrees f. They weigh over 5 pounds. There's no possible way to put a gaming laptop on you lap while laying in bed with a blanket on, it would get so hot it would shut off. Even with all that heat and discomfort, which is crap. These high end laptops don't even come close to a 290x water cooled at 1300 1800. So to me that's not mobile. There is no way a gaming laptop will last over 3 hours, playing a game. Not to mention the only way to use it is to have some kind of fan on it. Not to mention even paying this 1900 you won't be playing metro last light on max setting at 60 fps at any resolution. 

A laptop is worthless in my eyes. It's far from mobile. It costs way to much, weighs to much, can't do much of anything other then burn you. Not to mention you have to clean the dust out of it ever other day or it will over heat. I read and here people with laptops complaining that their computer shut off. That is why I would never have a laptop it is obsolete junk, compared to a high end PC and a tablet.

Originally posted by superniceguy

The whole idea of the Xbox ONE is built around the cloud, so like you don't care about the power as the power is in your PC. The Xbox ONE is like the I pad air, and their servers will be like the PC with the power, which is why MS did not need to make the Xbox ONE powerful. The Xbox ONE could last many decades and still improve, as MS upgrade their systems, while the PS4 will only last the usual 10 years, then need to release a PS5 and be another fresh start

Forza 5 uses the cloud, and freed up console resources to make it run at 1080p 60FPS. Without the cloud it would not have managed 60FPS. Drive Club on PS4 is only going to be 30FPS.

We'll i didn't know that, but you still can't stream that to a I pad. Not to mention I only have 100kbs internet. I am sure that won't work lol.

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269

Keep dreaming....

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Don't get me wrong, Fire is a decent tablet, but reading, even moreso in the dark... you're hurting your eyes just like with every other tablet out there. For reading buy a regular Kindle (or any other e-ink reader).

For the topic, PC hands down :) I never liked consoles (though I have a PSP, and I agree with Phry's first post, if you really want to buy a console, go with the PS4). For streaming to handheld, there's nVidia's Shield.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

We'll i didn't know that, but you still can't stream that to a I pad. Not to mention I only have 100kbs internet. I am sure that won't work lol.

It has been on the cards for MS for a while now

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/Xbox/9660889/Microsoft-building-Xbox-Surface-tablet-for-gamers.html

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/267983/xbox-tablet-mark-rein-shares-his-vision/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-halo-azure-xbox-streaming,24437.html

but they seem have gotten side tracked with Window 8 and Xbox ONE

PS4 is pretty much a high end PC which will be outdated soon, but the Xbox ONE has more to offer, with the TV services and the cloud. I wonder if PC games will use the cloud too?

The PS4 is the better choice if you do not have a decent PC, but if you have a PC the Xbox ONE is a better choice

It has been on the cards for MS for a while now

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/Xbox/9660889/Microsoft-building-Xbox-Surface-tablet-for-gamers.html

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/267983/xbox-tablet-mark-rein-shares-his-vision/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-halo-azure-xbox-streaming,24437.html

but they seem have gotten side tracked with Window 8 and Xbox ONE

PS4 is pretty much a high end PC which will be outdated soon, but the Xbox ONE has more to offer, with the TV services and the cloud. I wonder if PC games will use the cloud too?

The PS4 is the better choice if you do not have a decent PC, but if you have a PC the Xbox ONE is a better choice

A ps 4 is far far far far from a high end PC. My friends 4 year old computer is faster than a ps4. It's a low mid range PC. My i5 3570k with a 290x isn't even a high end PC, and it's way more powerful than a ps4. A high end PC is a i7 5ghz and 4 gtx 780tis, which makes a ps4 look like a Nintendo.

Originally posted by Po_gg

Don't get me wrong, Fire is a decent tablet, but reading, even moreso in the dark... you're hurting your eyes just like with every other tablet out there. For reading buy a regular Kindle (or any other e-ink reader).

For the topic, PC hands down :) I never liked consoles (though I have a PSP, and I agree with Phry's first post, if you really want to buy a console, go with the PS4). For streaming to handheld, there's nVidia's Shield.

I looked at the shield, it struck me as a waste of money. It screen is garbage, and small. It's not even full hd 720. It doesn't have ac wireless and I would much rather have a 2048 by 1556 display.  With the extra 5 inches it's more then enough space for all the programmable buttons, and with a Mmo a game pad isn't gonna cut it.

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    How much does a gtx780ti cost?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The whole idea of the Xbox ONE is built around the cloud, so like you don't care about the power as the power is in your PC. The Xbox ONE is like the I pad air, and their servers will be like the PC with the power, which is why MS did not need to make the Xbox ONE powerful. The Xbox ONE could last many decades and still improve, as MS upgrade their systems, while the PS4 will only last the usual 10 years, then need to release a PS5 and be another fresh startForza 5 uses the cloud, and freed up console resources to make it run at 1080p 60FPS. Without the cloud it would not have managed 60FPS. Drive Club on PS4 is only going to be 30FPS.

And if your internet is slow, or out....

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

OP --

what software/app are you using to stream? Just curious, there are a lot of different options and not all of them are that smooth.

Originally posted by megarax
    How much does a gtx780ti cost?

Like 600 - 800

Originally posted by Ridelynn

OP --

what software/app are you using to stream? Just curious, there are a lot of different options and not all of them are that smooth.

I pad splashtop 2 personal with the customizing buttons, it costs 1 99 a month but it is worth it. I can say this it works better on I pad than my note 3, and the note 3 has a 2.3 quad and 3 gb of ram.  On android 4.4.2 on the note it some times crashes randomly. Kainy, works better on android, but doesn't work with all games, baudurs gate didn't work on Kany. On splashtop for I pad I played metro last light 60fps no lag, no crashes, for 45 mins and it worked great. It is a bit harder than a mouse, but that's because I am not use to a game pad type thing. 

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Dont believe in the MS cloud hype.. 

Heres some ingame dDriveClub pics

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

MS is going back on a lot of things they were set on doing with Xbox One though. They already got rid of their DRM they were hell bent on having, they're making the Kinect optional which was supposed to be absolutely needed, access to Netflix without Gold.

It's not a bad system, but it seems like a lot of stuff they just assumed people would accept because "we're Xbox and they love us" not realizing that console gamers are way more than happy to jump ship to a competitor.

Sony already learned that lesson with PS3, they dominated with PS1 and 2 but lost their way with PS3 and just assumed people would buy it because "we're playstation and they love us". Microsoft and Nintendo are learning the lessons this time though it's still pretty early to say for sure.

I do think cloud computing is the future... is that future here yet? Guess we will see, racing games always look amazing though lol Forza doesn't look that much better than any other of the recent titles.

For the OP: Wii U is pretty much build around streaming full console games to a handheld device that comes with the system. Also, every game I have played on PS4 so far is capable of streaming to the Vita and it works pretty well.

Originally posted by Fendel84M

MS is going back on a lot of things they were set on doing with Xbox One though. They already got rid of their DRM they were hell bent on having, they're making the Kinect optional which was supposed to be absolutely needed, access to Netflix without Gold.

It's not a bad system, but it seems like a lot of stuff they just assumed people would accept because "we're Xbox and they love us" not realizing that console gamers are way more than happy to jump ship to a competitor.

Sony already learned that lesson with PS3, they dominated with PS1 and 2 but lost their way with PS3 and just assumed people would buy it because "we're playstation and they love us". Microsoft and Nintendo are learning the lessons this time though it's still pretty early to say for sure.

I do think cloud computing is the future... is that future here yet? Guess we will see, racing games always look amazing though lol Forza doesn't look that much better than any other of the recent titles.

For the OP: Wii U is pretty much build around streaming full console games to a handheld device that comes with the system. Also, every game I have played on PS4 so far is capable of streaming to the Vita and it works pretty well.

As I said I almost traded. But they screwed me when they said the ps3 could do that when it was just the three, and the only way to do it was have a hacked ps3. The vita was good when it came out but compared to tablets in its price range it is garbage. You can get a 10 inch tablet with 1080p for that, or a 7 inch  

Retina display

Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating

That does not compare to Screen (Touch Screen)5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED

Multi touch screen (capacitive type)

It's like going from the old CRT TVs to a full had led.  I will never forgive them for telling me I could stream my ps3 games to my vita, and then they changed it to you had to buy a game for the vita, save it and start on the ps3. 

As for console players switching no way. Every one I talk to is hell bent on a 400 or 500 dollar junk console is better than a PC, and the xbox fan won't even talk about anything else.  Let me know when consoles can stream 1080 60fps metro light with max settings. As for the wii, I wouldn't even entertain that. Those games don't even need to be streamed they are such shitty graphics. I stopped with Nintendo when emulators came out. Not that I enjoyed many nine to games. 7 th saga, and super Mario 2 3 and world. The should just give up on that junk they call wii, and make their games for android and I tunes. 

That is just my thoughts though, there's people who swear to me that Xbox one can play games at the quality of PC, and that a ps4 is better because you can watch it on the couch.  Not that any of that is true, but they believe it.  As for me I will be enjoying 1080p gaming on PC and I pad. While I hear people waste hundreds on a obsolete machine that can't even do 30 fps.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

One problem with "the cloud" is that it is a buzzword that can mean just about anything.  If it means some work being done on a server to make it possible for different people to play a game together, MMORPGs were doing that on PCs last millennium.

If you're using the cloud to improve your frame rates, though, that means you're doing heavy computations off elsewhere.  And that simply doesn't work for gaming.

Cloud compute is only useful if you have to massive amounts of computations to produce a tiny amount of data that you actually send over the Internet.  It's completely useless for rendering games outside of people who have some ancient computer paired with a very nice Internet connection and are happy with a very low end gaming experience.

To give you some idea of ballpark estimates:

in the time it takes to send one 32-bit float over the Internet (as a fraction of your bandwidth, ignoring latency)

you could send 1000 of them over a PCI Express bus,

you could read in 10000 of them from video memory,

you could read in 100000 of them from GPU cache (L1 and L2 combined), or

you could do 1000000 (yes really, one million) 32-bit floating point computations.

And that's just looking at bandwidth, not latency.  The latency to actually send data over the Internet tends to be on the order of a million times that of a PCI Express bus, and an even bigger gap as compared to the other things.  If a game designer has to choose between sending one 32-bit float over the Internet and doing 100000 GPU-friendly floating point computations locally, the latter is cheaper and it's not a hard decision.

Now, there are some situations where distributed computing makes sense.  For example, consider GIMPS:  they send you a number, you let the computer run for weeks, you tell them whether it's prime or not.  Storing the number takes a few megabytes, but determining whether it's prime takes many quadrillions of operations.

Originally posted by Quizzical

One problem with "the cloud" is that it is a buzzword that can mean just about anything.  If it means some work being done on a server to make it possible for different people to play a game together, MMORPGs were doing that on PCs last millennium.

If you're using the cloud to improve your frame rates, though, that means you're doing heavy computations off elsewhere.  And that simply doesn't work for gaming.

Cloud compute is only useful if you have to massive amounts of computations to produce a tiny amount of data that you actually send over the Internet.  It's completely useless for rendering games outside of people who have some ancient computer paired with a very nice Internet connection and are happy with a very low end gaming experience.

in the time it takes to send one 32-bit float over the Internet (as a fraction of your bandwidth, ignoring latency)

you could do 1000000 (yes really, one million) 32-bit floating point computations.

And that's just looking at bandwidth, not latency.  The latency to actually send data over the Internet tends to be on the order of a million times that of a PCI Express bus, and an even bigger gap as compared to the other things.  If a game designer has to choose between sending one 32-bit float over the Internet and doing 100000 GPU-friendly floating point computations locally, the latter is cheaper and it's not a hard decision.

Now, there are some situations where distributed computing makes sense.  For example, consider GIMPS:  they send you a number, you let the computer run for weeks, you tell them whether it's prime or not.  Storing the number takes a few megabytes, but determining whether it's prime takes many quadrillions of operations.

We'll your wrong. My router is a crappy frontier router and my speeds are last I checked 74mbps down and 30mbps up, between my  phone and PC. I am not sure about the I pad, because I can't find a app to tell me. If I go by the router which is wrong, but wireless n at 300mbps or 30 mobs per second, which a lot of people have internet faster than that. Anyways at those slow speeds I stream metro last light at 1080 60+ fps on the PC and phone/ or I pad. It looks just as good on the I pad as the PC. With no lag, I can play a fast action game like metro easy. 

Now splashtop I don't think is streaming the game, I come to this conclusion because the PC thinks the I pad or phone is another monitor. Also the program doesn't suck the CPU down. Unlike a program like kainy which uses 60 percent of my 3570k at 4.5 just to run it.  You are missing something. It doesn't send all that over the LAN, just like it doesn't send all that over the hdmi cable to your tv. If you lived in a area with good internet, like 500mbps up and down. You could 100 percent send a high end graphical game any where you wanted.

So yes the guy is right. When wireless internet in the USA goes from shit that it is, to unlimited 500mbps+. You will no longer need to buy a high end gaming machine. Some one not me, because I hate business lol. Will make a room with high end gaming pcs, just like they do with servers. Charge you 50 bucks or what every a month. And you can play all the high end games you want, over your tv, or I pad/tablet or low end laptop/PC/Mac/ Linux.

Your idea that you can only play Nintendo like games over it is wrong. I control my android phone from my PC, and my PC from my I pad. All while playing high end games. When my 46 inch Bravia goes, I will not be buying another tv. I will just use my I pad, and as for family tv watching time we all have tablets, so we will all just connect into my PC which will stream netflix, or my dish network to us. 

I see no reason any more to be stuck in one area with a bulky keyboard and mouse, and a huge tv to play my games. I wasted before I understood I could do this 100 of dollars to buy a water cooling system , so all the massive heat from my PC space heater would run in the basement. Instead of heating my living room up to over 100 on hot days wasting my AC power to cool the room down. With this wireless, if I knew, I would of spent the money on a high end router capable of 1.3 gbps wireless, and ran a antenna to my roof and broadcasted my signal all over my area, and been able to game any where I wanted around my house, and land. With just putting the whole ugly big heavy PC in the basement. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

in all respects PCs are better.

In ALL respects.

To be to satisfy a few of those aspects one might have to get a little creative as well as be willing to not do as your told (PC in the living room will not be the end of times)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Quizzical

We'll your wrong. My router is a crappy frontier router and my speeds are last I checked 74mbps down and 30mbps up, between my  phone and PC. I am not sure about the I pad, because I can't find a app to tell me. If I go by the router which is wrong, but wireless n at 300mbps or 30 mobs per second, which a lot of people have internet faster than that. Anyways at those slow speeds I stream metro last light at 1080 60+ fps on the PC and phone/ or I pad. It looks just as good on the I pad as the PC. With no lag, I can play a fast action game like metro easy. 

Now splashtop I don't think is streaming the game, I come to this conclusion because the PC thinks the I pad or phone is another monitor. Also the program doesn't suck the CPU down. Unlike a program like kainy which uses 60 percent of my 3570k at 4.5 just to run it.  You are missing something. It doesn't send all that over the LAN, just like it doesn't send all that over the hdmi cable to your tv. If you lived in a area with good internet, like 500mbps up and down. You could 100 percent send a high end graphical game any where you wanted.

So yes the guy is right. When wireless internet in the USA goes from shit that it is, to unlimited 500mbps+. You will no longer need to buy a high end gaming machine. Some one not me, because I hate business lol. Will make a room with high end gaming pcs, just like they do with servers. Charge you 50 bucks or what every a month. And you can play all the high end games you want, over your tv, or I pad/tablet or low end laptop/PC/Mac/ Linux.

Your idea that you can only play Nintendo like games over it is wrong. I control my android phone from my PC, and my PC from my I pad. All while playing high end games. When my 46 inch Bravia goes, I will not be buying another tv. I will just use my I pad, and as for family tv watching time we all have tablets, so we will all just connect into my PC which will stream netflix, or my dish network to us. 

I see no reason any more to be stuck in one area with a bulky keyboard and mouse, and a huge tv to play my games. I wasted before I understood I could do this 100 of dollars to buy a water cooling system , so all the massive heat from my PC space heater would run in the basement. Instead of heating my living room up to over 100 on hot days wasting my AC power to cool the room down. With this wireless, if I knew, I would of spent the money on a high end router capable of 1.3 gbps wireless, and ran a antenna to my roof and broadcasted my signal all over my area, and been able to game any where I wanted around my house, and land. With just putting the whole ugly big heavy PC in the basement. 

router has nothing to do with it.

What makes local computation so much better is the video card and cpu attached to your motherboard.

Server sends a signal that spaceship X needs to be a Y coords. (very little data) your COMPUTER renders that change for you.

If you move graphic rendering to the cloud its going to be a joke when it comes to graphics.

the cloud is only an innovation for the business model, not for us gamers.

also, using the cloud for PART of the game experience is fine, but 100% of the game is going to be hysterically terrible as Chris Robertsm, Gabe Newel and Palmer Lucky agree

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114

'Cloud gaming' latest buzz word. 'Cloud gaming' is only good for saving progression / profiles ( See steam cloud for proper usage ) not for any real computations.

Yes streaming on a LAN you can achieve smooth gaming on a thin client  , or if you have really fast connection as well as being located near the cloud servers then gaming with a thin client could work. Since light can only travel so fast there will be a delay in the data  sending and receiving from thin client to server becoming more noticeable the farther the cloud servers are located from the thin client. Not to mention any other applications that would cause bottleneck on the network or something  simple as the data lost on route needing to be resent.