Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Wildstar really worth a sub?

Comments

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Radakill

Is this game (or any game for that matter) really worth a $15 monthly sub?

I say no.

With a plethora of great games going (successfully) to non-subscription marketing while still avoiding the pay-to-win nightmare, I dont see how NC Soft will pull this off for long before at least adding in a F2P option.

Seriously, they did it with GW and GW2, why not this game?

The only sub MMO thats stood the test of time successfully is WOW and, well... its WOW.

Not touching this one until they at least remove the sub, I dont mind paying the game price, but times are changing and subs are a thing of the past.

I'm with you. GW2 proves that the monthly fee is just extra profit so these devs can all live like kings. A cash shop works very well in these games today. GW2 proves all the excuses to have a monthly fee is bs.

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285

I thought GW2 was very boring after leveling (which didn't take a month) and I think the lack of real substantial content, in my PERSONAL opinion, is a testament to why these devs could use subs.  A better example in your argument would be Trion, who does very well with their FTP model honestly.

That being said, the absolute best times I ever had in an MMORPG game, were in fact, WoW.  As much as I try to stay away from the game these days, that's the simple truth.  That money was well spent, when it was actually worth it with that game.  I INSIST on paying $15 a month as long as the content is developed and provided to us at a level that shows the money is doing its job.  I don't think subs are for devs to "live like kings" at all.  I think they are because it takes a LOT of money to produce content for an ongoing, never-ending video game, especially if you want it to stay fresh.  This should be a no-brainer to people, and it's why the sub model happened in the first place.

You constantly see how people are getting burnt out on MMO's, or aren't satisfied with anything that comes out, etc.  In my opinion also, I think this could correlate easily to the F2P trend.  Devs have less $ to work with, less time to prove their product is worth being on the market at all, and a very impatient customer base (rightfully so).  I'm all for subs because it gives the devs a steady base of income they can look at, and makes their road-map for updates and content much easier to plan and stick to.  I want a high quality game experience, and I think a sub makes providing that much more likely, although, as we've seen in the past, not guaranteed.  

I hope the best for this game, for Carbine and they can gladly have my $15 a month until they fail to prove it's worth it any longer.

• RaellnRaelln Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by oboc
    I've never understood this . Really ? 15.00 for how ever many hours a month entertainment. Hope people are not insulted, but if you can't pay 15.00 bucks for 30 days of fun, you really need to make some HUGE changes in you're life. I mean that's not even a 12 pack of decent brew. Or a tiny bit of what's now legal here in Colorado. I just don't understand this. People spend more in F2P anyway. Stop being so farking dam cheap !

It's not about the cost of the sub for me. I have no issue with paying $15/month for a good game.

The primary issue for me is that when I'm paying a sub for a game, I feel like I am wasting money if I'm not devoting all my free time to playing that game. I find that I have a difficult time enjoying other games (even offline, single player) because in the back of my head I have this little nagging thing going off telling me that I should be "getting my bang for my buck" by playing the game I'm paying a sub for.

After enjoying a few months without paying a sub to any game - I've also become very fond of not somehow "feeling guilty of wasting money" by doing someone else with my free time that isn't playing that subbed game. This is part of the reason why I'm enjoying some time in GW2 as much as I am now.  I've also had a greater desire to do other non-game related things, like spending more time practicing my electric guitar.

Also, I'm becoming more resistant to sub-based games because I would rather have choices on what I spend my money on in the game I'm playing. With WoW (the most recognizable sub-based game), I have no control over where my sub money goes. I really don't want any more raid content but I can't just decide to only pay $4.99/month and play everything but the latest raiding.

The B2P/F2P models can provide those options and some cases, do. I'm currently level 74 in GW2 and haven't felt like I  needed to spend a single penny in the cash shop - though, I'm sure at some point that I'll buy some additional bank space and perhaps more character slots. It depends if some of my friends come over to GW2 - a couple of them are considering it (they have been largely WoW fans for years).

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I've never understood this . Really ? 15.00 for how ever many hours a month entertainment. Hope people are not insulted, but if you can't pay 15.00 bucks for 30 days of fun, you really need to make some HUGE changes in you're life. I mean that's not even a 12 pack of decent brew. Or a tiny bit of what's now legal here in Colorado. I just don't understand this. People spend more in F2P anyway. Stop being so farking dam cheap !

So you would be OK with $50 a month? How about $100? What that's that you say? That would be to much.

You mean there's some point at which it comes down to value for money?

Well all I can say to you is "Sheesh get a proper job" - I can afford a $100 a month.

At the end of the day for the player (customer) it comes down to does the product represent good value for money. For the business it comes down to how they can make the most money - they hope. Worth repeating: how they believe they can make the most money.

A sub doesn't guarantee faster content; doesn't guarantee better players; doesn't guarantee better CS; doesn't guarantee anything.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Why wouldn't it be worth a sub If you have fun playing the game?

Currently enjoying Elder Scrolls Online and feel it's worth the sub due to it given me a experiance I can not and have not found in any F2P MMORPG.

It's the same way I feel about Wildstar, while it remains on my want to play list, I am a one MMORPG at a time  player but I do feel Wildstar offers plenty to warrent a sub. 

• krimson89krimson89 Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by gervaise1

So you would be OK with $50 a month? How about $100? What that's that you say? That would be to much.

Well all I can say to you is "Sheesh get a proper job" - I can afford a $100 a month.

At the end of the day for the player (customer) it comes down to does the product represent good value for money. For the business it comes down to how they can make the most money - they hope. Worth repeating: how they believe they can make the most money.

A sub doesn't guarantee faster content; doesn't guarantee better players; doesn't guarantee better CS; doesn't guarantee anything.

Your argument makes no sense. We are talking about 50 cents a day.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Huh?

As for your last sentence, yes, it does not guarantee whatever you've said. Heck , neither BMW does not guarantee your safety, yet .. people buy the car. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• AlturisAlturis Member Posts: 28

I say no.

With a plethora of great games going (successfully) to non-subscription marketing while still avoiding the pay-to-win nightmare, I dont see how NC Soft will pull this off for long before at least adding in a F2P option.

The only sub MMO thats stood the test of time successfully is WOW and, well... its WOW.

Not touching this one until they at least remove the sub, I dont mind paying the game price, but times are changing and subs are a thing of the past.

I personally believe that it is worth the sub, why? The level of content they already have is staggering compaired to any of the "free" to play MMO's out there. I also debate that any MMO is truly "free" is a falacy. Yes, you can play some MMO's for free but for the majority of players there are large portions of content or at minimum massive visual differences for those that pay.

Also can we add FFXIV to the P2P MMO catagory in which a sub has been very successfull? The game has been out over a year already and still has servers that are completely full with the majority of servers staying active.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow
    Originally posted by daltanious

I say no.

are changing and subs are a thing of the past.

I think after played 3 days in beta that is worth, but not sure if same amount as Wow or Swtor (yes, Swtor is still my second best game of all times after Wow).

JUST NOTE

• graphics and style somehow reminds me CO (just noted, is not for bad or for good)

I find it funny that you complain about 8 active skills when you aren't even using WASD.  I wouldn't recommend playing Wildstar AT ALL if you don't use WASD. The game is all about moving and dodging telegraphs which is very difficult with mouse.

8 ability limit promotes character diversity and allows the player to make his/her own build.  It's also game design to take your look away from your ability bar(s) and focus more in avoiding and using the telegraphs. WS would be unplayable with let's say 16 abilities to use. (Unless you macro'd them).

Khm, never heard about very funny G700 Logitech mouse and what can do? No? I'm sure you never did. I recommend you check and stop using your only 2 buttons mouse.

I say no.

Gw and Gw2 are NOT F2P. They are B2P. And this is huge difference. Gw was total disappointment, loved Gw2 for long months but then started to miss good old classic quest hubs and progression.

I would pay double sub or even more for Wow, Swtor, ... Ok, Swtor has mixed model, but have no problem with that as long as there is sub option. From time to time I resub to Aoc, CO, ... for month or two. I do not play any game and never liked that was f2p only. 

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Utinni
    While I won't be playing this game, I'd say anything that you can get more than 5 hours a month of playtime out of is EASILY worth $15. That's the cost of a movie ticket, 2 beers, or a decent burger. 

$15 burger?????

Probably a US burger where they put a whole cow and 10 bottles of ketchup between 2 pieces of bread. :P

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Originally posted by daltanious

Is this game (or any game for that matter) really worth a $15 monthly sub? I say no. With a plethora of great games going (successfully) to non-subscription marketing while still avoiding the pay-to-win nightmare, I dont see how NC Soft will pull this off for long before at least adding in a F2P option. Seriously, they did it with GW and GW2, why not this game?  

Gw and Gw2 are NOT F2P. They are B2P. And this is huge difference. Gw was total disappointment, loved Gw2 for long months but then started to miss good old classic quest hubs and progression.

I would pay double sub or even more for Wow, Swtor, ... Ok, Swtor has mixed model, but have no problem with that as long as there is sub option. From time to time I resub to Aoc, CO, ... for month or two. I do not play any game and never liked that was f2p only. 

Many people would disagree with you calling GW a failure. But to answer OP seriously long and short...No. And it will go at least B2P by next year. Personally, I think this game is below generic because it doesn't seem to know what it wants to do. That at the background is honestly lazy. GW2 and WoW honestly had more thought and attention to detail when first releasing. This is just another Aion....
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I think WS would have been much better off if it launched f2p. After all it did launch with every well know f2p system, cash shop, cash to gold conversion, credd, tons of gold sinks ect. I believe the box  was an attempt to grab all the money they could upfront knowing the conversion would be soon after launch.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Yep GW1 was an amazing game, proved by how long it was played and the lack of sub.

GW2 looks to be following the same path, you can definitely see a similar path of evolution, e.g living story starting to really feel like GW1 missions IMO (and great for it)

As for Wildstar. it's high quality, huge, rich in content and good fun to play - as long as you like the cowboys in space meets wow meets brash humour (I don't mean that in a bad way)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

@bcbully the payment system has no bearing on how good a game is, you either like it or you don't.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Originally posted by Chrisbox
    financially.  Aion could've been great, and it went down the gutter. Same with lineage II. Guild wars 1 was a    

Ah, good old Aion. :-)

Only game where I had to cancel my credit card at my bank to stop them charging me. 

Only game where chat windows if expanded to ENTIRE screen could be filled with just gold spam messages in less then 10 secs (few weeks into gameplay).

Only game where every resource spot had his own bot "working" hard 24h/day.

Only game with virtually no quests after lv. 18 if I remember correctly. Somebody must have forgot players will play past that level.

Etc etc. 

Besides this I admit, when I could login (because of great idea of "personal" selling points all servers were full at all times, looked like that fortunate players that could login have been playing 24 hours per day, 7 days/week) and for the first week or two was pretty fun. Then spam, bots, ... and all the rest happened.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

"Is Wildstar really worth a sub"??

if you have to ask like this, then I'd say "No, it's not really worth a sub".

Wildstar IS, however, fun, engaging, full of things to do, and seemingly led by a group of Devs who are dedicated to the fun experience you get when playing.

So, "Is Wildstar worth a sub?", YES.

Although, simply asking this question makes this thread a clear example of baiting fans and haters into a brawl. To that, I'd say good job. There are/were plenty of opportunities to try out Wildstar, so this line of questioning is moot. 

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

I think it is worth a sub because, unlike Blizzard, they are giving us regular content that means there should be something different to do every month.

My only problem with Wildstar is that I can only play for 30-60 minutes before I need to take a 24hr break as the questing in really full-on and unrelenting - without trying, I usually have 30 on the go and there is little variation between them.

The game is polished and there's lots to do and it deserves to succeed because the devs obviously care and a lot of effort went into it, so I hope it does sustain a bright future.

As for the graphics, which lots of people hate - I absolutely love them - so each to their own.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

if you wanted to play a MMO in the 90's 

People played MMO's in the 90's.?

• Is it worth the sub? Sure, if you think its worth the sub. Easy as that.

Its to late now, the haters and the fanboys have already clashed into a 20 page war. Meh... i really dont know why people try to discuss things on this website.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by bcbully

I think WS would have been much better off if it launched f2p. After all it did launch with every well know f2p system, cash shop, cash to gold conversion, credd, tons of gold sinks ect. I believe the box  was an attempt to grab all the money they could upfront knowing the conversion would be soon after launch.

I think ESO would have been much better off if it launched f2p. After all it did launch with every well know f2p system, cash shop, mounts & races locked behind the imperial edition, tons of gold sinks ect. I believe the box  was an attempt to grab all the money they could upfront knowing the conversion would be soon after launch.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• Originally posted by kikosforever

I think ESO would have been much better off if it launched f2p. After all it did launch with every well know f2p system, cash shop, mounts & races locked behind the imperial edition, tons of gold sinks ect. I believe the box  was an attempt to grab all the money they could upfront knowing the conversion would be soon after launch.

Well, you cant deny that ESO has improved fastly. Say watcha want about imperial edition and etc, zenimax is has been really working out the kinks.

Also adding cool content in the future. 

Damn it. Here i go, just defending games i love again. Whatever.

FTP does not improve gameplay. No one decides that a game is great but they won't play because of the payment system. People don't play games because they find them boring or unbalanced.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

(Wow, 20 pages in and a post even indirectly questioning if a heavily pushed game like Wildstar is worth a sub hasn't been locked yet...wonders never cease). 

Imo no, but then the free-to-play thing is a dicey business, hard to strike the right balance and keep everyone happy. For me the game, lovely and shiney though it is, is just more of the same with a few bells and whistles. There will always be an audience for a game as well made as Wildstar. Whilst a lot of older, 'veteran' players have long since tired of this endlessly chruned out quest hub format, there's always an up-and-coming younger generation who aren't old enough to have played this format to death yet.     

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by mmogamerlover
    Originally posted by kikosforever

Well, you cant deny that ESO has improved fastly. Say watcha want about imperial edition and etc, zenimax is has been really working out the kinks.

Also adding cool content in the future. 

Damn it. Here i go, just defending games i love again. Whatever.

I wont disagree with that. WS also improving fast. 2 major content updates patches after 2 months and another one (2GB) on PTR, coming in the end of August, is not something that you find easily in mmo's.

Cool content (besides adventures, dungeons, raids, arenas, bg's, new areas etc) is coming also in the future like Guild Housing / Neighborhood, RTS Adventures, Pets / Companions, New Classes (Charmer, Sorcerer, Dark Reaver) etc.

All of these in monthly content updates, not every 6-12 months or waiting for an expansion (btw i dont mean ESO).

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2