Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Wildstar really worth a sub?

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Hariken
    GW2 spoiled me,i don't think any of these post wow mmo's are worth a sub. My feeling is back in those early mmo days it was this new genre and it was exciting. Playing with people from around the world in fantasy  world as someone else. There was just a handful of these games. And i payed the sub for just about all of them.  But like anything else it just gets old. These games are doing the same dam thing. Back then the tech was old/new and i could see them needing to take a monthly for up keep. Today these games can almost run themselves with the tech being used today. I think to many gamers are being fooled into believing these companies need that sub.money to keep games running while its being proved with every f2p game that its bs and just there to get extra money because the old system was set up like that. Its all about money post wow. U.S. game companies with f2p models with restrictions so sub.players won't get mad. Cash shops bring in more money but that sub. players money is steady profit so keep it . Every mmo post wow is doing the same thing as those old games and i just don't want to pay for them anymore. If a new mmo comes out with something completely new and mind blowing,hell yeah i would pay 20 dollars a month if they asked me to. GW2 has been the only recent game to come out doing different things. 

F2P is a lie, name one F2P game and if you dig, someone is paying them to keep the lights on. GW2 you could change gold to gems and play 100% free but the time involved was huge to keep that going and only a few really can. There is nothing worng with that. Fact, games that have a sub, be that static like Wildstar is now. Or like SWToR and SoE products where you can try the game for free as long as you like, but you want to join the end game you need to sub. These games get more content and more features. As it is funded better by the gamers. If GW2 watered down content is good enough for you... well dont come to this forum, go play your game. I hated how the content rolled in that game. I rather a solid time line of content thats static. 

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    In wildstar you can sub, buy with cash or play free with in game credit. OP you didn't know this, or do you Just want a free lunch and sponge free play on a server by relying on other people funding the game for you?

Actually I didnt know this either. And maybe a lot of people dont know it either... which means the info they want to put out (the big letters) is that the game is a sub-based game. 

Thanks for the info.

To the OP - no... I've been playing it on and off and... no. 

Originally posted by Malabooga
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Radakill

Is this game (or any game for that matter) really worth a $15 monthly sub?

I say no.

With a plethora of great games going (successfully) to non-subscription marketing while still avoiding the pay-to-win nightmare, I dont see how NC Soft will pull this off for long before at least adding in a F2P option.

Seriously, they did it with GW and GW2, why not this game?

The only sub MMO thats stood the test of time successfully is WOW and, well... its WOW.

Not touching this one until they at least remove the sub, I dont mind paying the game price, but times are changing and subs are a thing of the past.

Lots of new MMOs are doing the sub thing just fine. There is a reason why games start of box + sub. Makes more money as the fans of the game are willing to pay it. The extra long trial we call F2P comes later when launch problems are behind them and they are ready for more gamers. Most F2P games that are worth playing are not really F2P, if you wana join the end game community you need to sub. If this game worth it? Why not? This game already has more depth then GW2 has even after how long its been out. You want quality, you need to pay. 

The reason they start box+sub is because there is enough suckers to actually pay it, then when its near death they go F2P and have an uproar of those same suckers who feel cheated for paying box+sub.

And WS has a depth of Teletubbies. Sorry dude.

Not true at all. SoE has moved all their products to a F2P model that is free up till you get to end game. Then sub to join end game. SWToR does the same thing. EQ1 has fans that have been playing 15 years and never left and were very happy with the F2P model and all the new players that joined the game. Not suckers, people willing to pay for BETTER content. GW2 has the depth of a puddle. I could go back now and end done with the content in 30 days and I stopped playing 6 months after release. Go try that with WoW, EQ, EQ2. You have so much content it would take years to get done. Subs = more content.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    My opinion is it is worth a sub if you have the time and want-to to raid seriously.
    There are many things I don't like about WS but I do believe the raids will be amazing.
    If that is your thing and you dig the telegraphs, and are sick of WoW, then go for it.
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    In wildstar you can sub, buy with cash or play free with in game credit. OP you didn't know this, or do you Just want a free lunch and sponge free play on a server by relying on other people funding the game for you?

Actually I didnt know this either. And maybe a lot of people dont know it either... which means the info they want to put out (the big letters) is that the game is a sub-based game. 

Thanks for the info.

To the OP - no... I've been playing it on and off and... no. 

If you dont want to pay RL money, use their CREED system. 

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/game/features/business-model/

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I find wildstar boring and uninteresting and for those reasons it's not worth paying a sub for a game which I won't have fun while playing. :)

Plain and simple, it always boils down to a matter of personal taste and preferences.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    First I want to say to the op that you should do some bloody homework before making a claim. Wildstar does offer you the opportunity to play without paying. Its called credd and it's an option to purchase game time off another player for in game currency. So wildstar does offer other options. This has been known for some tie now. Second I believe wildstar is worth every penny of a monthly sub. It has content out the ass they have nervousness very soon it's fun and best of all no limitations on when I play. Gw1 was considered the Poor man's wow and tho it was good after box price the had to charge 60 bucks an expac to make anything on it. And gw2 don't even get me started on how that game is anything but f2p, with its gem system and horrid limited time update nonsense. Buckle up for a boring year in mmos because p2p is big this year.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Yes but since there's no info on how much will a monthly sub cost in-game currency we can't possibly know if it's realistic to expect someone to pay for the sub with golds and judging by the EVE PLEX system (which CREDD took inspiration from) someone first has to buy a monthly sub ticket and then offer it on in-game market, which probably won't be cheap at all. For instance in EVE you gotta work quite a bit if you're just starting to be able to pay for the PLEX and you mostly can't afford it in the 1st few months without ending up broke after buying it.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Bigboo
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Subs aren't a thing of the past and unless you're referring to RTS or MOBA games, there aren't many options in terms of AAA f2p titles.  A lot of your post is mixing opinion and fact.

However, I don't think wildstar is worth a sub for my own reasons. 

Are you nuts? Seriously?

How about games NC Soft has already produced such as GW and GW2 just for starters. Then theres Rift, EQ2, STO, LOTRO, the list goes on and on.

Its harder to actually find a sub game these days that dosent at least offer a F2P option.

Again, with the exception of WOW.

I must have missed something, is GW2 F2P? Last time I looked it costed 39,99 euro.

He also mention several games like EQ2 and LoTZRO that only got to were they were today after SEVERAL years of  subs. If they hadn't have had that they certainly wouldn't have the content they have now if they'd even still be around. if your gonna claim F2P pick actual F2P games from the start, like Neverwinter, Is Neverwinter your shining example of a great game. No you can't pick GW2 that's B2P and rift and all the other games that were sub for several years you also can't use because seriously you can't say what they would have been like if they would have been f2P from day one with no subscription to build them up.

IS WS worthy of a sub? Depends on a lot of things whats worth more to you your time or your money. At a mere $15 a month for almost unlimited entertainment I'd say my ties worth more then spending on some low content F2P possibly P2W grind fest that nickles and dimes you around every corner. YMMV. For those really into raiding then yes I think they will find WS worth the sub Unfortunately in ever society there are some that think they should get everything for free or that others should pay for their entertainment. To me those that are more then able and willing to pay $15 for one nights meal. $40 for one months cable tv, $100 for one months cell phone, but balk at paying $15 for a months worth of entertainment from a MMO blows my mind

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

There is a number of bonuses you get when playing a sub based game, especially now when there is so many games without a sub.

Getting regular updates, patches, content etc... aside (and we have been getting these already thruout the beta).

A lot of people that bring the mmorpg communities into the gutter, and then destroy them, will choose a sub free game.  One the first free month passes and people will have to start paying I hope we will see that a lot of the bottom feeders leave. 

Originally posted by korent1991

Yes but since there's no info on how much will a monthly sub cost in-game currency we can't possibly know if it's realistic to expect someone to pay for the sub with golds and judging by the EVE PLEX system (which CREDD took inspiration from) someone first has to buy a monthly sub ticket and then offer it on in-game market, which probably won't be cheap at all. For instance in EVE you gotta work quite a bit if you're just starting to be able to pay for the PLEX and you mostly can't afford it in the 1st few months without ending up broke after buying it.

I know the real reason people cry about games being pay to play. Most real F2P games suck. People burn through one after another. Quit when they hit that pay wall or run out of content. So then they go hunting for a new game, finding no new F2P option, then make a thread demanding a free game. You want to play Wildstar for free, wait 8-12 months like everyone else not willing to pony up the cash now. Crying about a payment model would be like going to any store in town and waiting in line to yell at the clerk for the prices down the street and why they cost more. Wait long enough you will find a new dollar store, for now this is what you get. Wana play, pay!!!!

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Cryptor

There is a number of bonuses you get when playing a sub based game, especially now when there is so many games without a sub.

Getting regular updates, patches, content etc... aside (and we have been getting these already thruout the beta).

A lot of people that bring the mmorpg communities into the gutter, and then destroy them, will choose a sub free game.  One the first free month passes and people will have to start paying I hope we will see that a lot of the bottom feeders leave. 

Where have i heard this before?

Oooops, in every WoW clone that has gone F2P.

Because people didnt find it worthy to pay measly 15/month.

I say no.

With a plethora of great games going (successfully) to non-subscription marketing while still avoiding the pay-to-win nightmare, I dont see how NC Soft will pull this off for long before at least adding in a F2P option.

The only sub MMO thats stood the test of time successfully is WOW and, well... its WOW.

Not touching this one until they at least remove the sub, I dont mind paying the game price, but times are changing and subs are a thing of the past.

Lots of new MMOs are doing the sub thing just fine. There is a reason why games start of box + sub. Makes more money as the fans of the game are willing to pay it. The extra long trial we call F2P comes later when launch problems are behind them and they are ready for more gamers. Most F2P games that are worth playing are not really F2P, if you wana join the end game community you need to sub. If this game worth it? Why not? This game already has more depth then GW2 has even after how long its been out. You want quality, you need to pay. 

The reason they start box+sub is because there is enough suckers to actually pay it, then when its near death they go F2P and have an uproar of those same suckers who feel cheated for paying box+sub.

Not true at all. SoE has moved all their products to a F2P model that is free up till you get to end game. Then sub to join end game. SWToR does the same thing. EQ1 has fans that have been playing 15 years and never left and were very happy with the F2P model and all the new players that joined the game. Not suckers, people willing to pay for BETTER content. GW2 has the depth of a puddle. I could go back now and end done with the content in 30 days and I stopped playing 6 months after release. Go try that with WoW, EQ, EQ2. You have so much content it would take years to get done. Subs = more content.

SOE games. rofl. No, they moved them to F2P because noone wanted to play ALL those games for 25/month, let alone one of them for 15/month.

Better content? Dude. Just stop embarassing yourself. Have fun with single raid and mindless gear grind for months to come. Guess thats all the "depth" you need lol

Its funny that even you dont believe in WS hi hi

• LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    I would rather have a sub in a game any day, keeps out many undesirables. Wildstar is well worth a sub if you like the game. The features will have people occupied for plenty of gaming hours. 
  • summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    I don't know , but I wish I hadn't bought it if that helps. ;)
  • TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

No, mostly for the same reasons ESO isn't worth it.

Bland combat and gameplay that offers little that hasn't been done before many times before. And for an MMO, those are the things they need the most to be sustaining for a long period of time. If they cannot be long term, they need to provide something good enough to make that short term investment worth it. Example, SWTOR (pre-F2P) while being a terrible MMO at least had great class stories to make it worthwhile as $15 a month for a great storyline is far less than $50 for an SRPGs story.

This game sadly doesn't have that, the story is really generic and the thing I actually thought I would hate the most about the game, the graphics and silliness were actually the things I liked the most. They fit the setting, a setting that needed a lot more depth added to it.

• ProffitProffit Member UncommonPosts: 19
    If it's fun it is, if it's not, it's not. It's as simple as that.

I say no.

SOE games. rofl. No, they moved them to F2P because noone wanted to play ALL those games for 25/month, let alone one of them for 15/month.

Better content? Dude. Just stop embarassing yourself. Have fun with single raid and mindless gear grind for months to come. Guess thats all the "depth" you need lol

Its funny that even you dont believe in WS hi hi

(((eye roll))) Wish there was something to reply to but you have lost all context and are now just flinging mud. Good day!!!

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I say no.

P2P is a viable option, its working for a host of games including Final Fantasy 14 which has been very successful. I am very happy with the sub method, you might not be, but I am. I am not a rich man either, and I can afford the sub, it's not that big a deal. People really need to get over that some games have a sub method. 

But more importantly the game being sub based means regular content, to which they have already said they plan to release monthly content to the game. This is all stuff financed through a paid subscription. F2P and cash shops, whilst they do bring in income is not a static method to finance large additions to the game. 

Like I said before, Final Fantasy 14, sub based.. massive quarterly updates. Neverwinter... updates every now and then, TSW updates every now and then, RIFT updates every now and then. The only company not updating their game through sub method is WoW which kinda pisses me off as people are paying for a sub for that game which is financing the xpac only to be sold back to you. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    It is ironic that Blizzard invests the least yet earns the most by a long shot. This is why blizzard has negatively impacted mmorg development - they are greedy and keep most money invested.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Trick question.

No MMORPG is worth a sub. That old model need not apply.

a yo ho ho

Originally posted by 3-4thElf

Trick question.

Compared B2P/F2P options....no. Were not talking 2004 and WoW here, its 2014 and things have changed, MMO asking for a sub should really be extraordinary, but WS is definitely not THAT game.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

Its not worth it. How someone at Carbine thought starting the game with same'ol boring wow experience will ensure them subs, I truly dont understand. I really wanted to look at the housing, but just got bored before I even got there... and wtf is up with that messy UI.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by 3-4thElf

Trick question.

Compared B2P/F2P options....no. Were not talking 2004 and WoW here, its 2014 and things have changed, MMO asking for a sub should really be extraordinary, but WS is definitely not THAT game.

There are too many games out there offering multiplayer completely free for a sub to be worth it.

I'd pay a sub only if I got something like a contracted uber computer & connection along with the software.

It's not that time any longer. 

a yo ho ho

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

The only mmo's worth playing are those with sub. Subscriptions are the great equalizer, and what guarantees that I'll be having the same ingame opportunities to reach my ingame goals as anyone who is standing next to me. Nobody has access to exclusive content, mounts, or weapons to get through dungeons faster, or do that extra +5% damage in PvP that makes all the difference between winning or losing. For that reason I will never, ever play a F2P mmo and consider the subscription a mandatory requeriment for me to even look at the game at all.

Of course there are games like ESO, that have both sub and cash shop. That's so ridiculous that I don't even know how some people even fell in the trap.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.