Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hidden Subscriber Benefits?

13»

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet SWTOR is by far the most atrocious f2p model ever invented.  As one guy mentioned, there's a paywall behind "hide helmet".      

I guess youve never played LOTRO

and hide helmet is the EXACT type of thing that should be behind a paywall.  its 100% cosmetic.   Would you rather have classes locked or planets locked?

SWTOR's model is fine.   There may be better models out there, but there are certainly far worse too.  

No, sorry SWTOR is the worst.  If not the worst than the 2nd worst of all time in MMO history for AAA games.

And yes I definitely would rather have classes/content locked.  I'd rather be able to play the full version of part of the game then a half-assed version of all of the game, that constantly reminds you you're playing a half-assed version in every possible conceivable way (and even goes so far as to make the game less enjoyable without you even knowing about it, like in the OP).

"It's 100% cosmetic".  Well, what about all the other stuff behind the gates.  Xp gain, etc.  I don't even know what most of it is since I tried the game recently and after the 10th time I was told I should subscribe to be playing the full-game, I stopped playing.

And it's not because I think 15 is too much to spend on a game; I spent 100 dollars on a ftp game last month (which in retrospect is too much I think but the way the business model works so well I can't resist- and just plunked another 10 down today).  It's because the model was making the game so unenjoyable I felt that I would have to pay just to maybe enjoy it.  On the other hand, the game that got my money made the game so enjoyable that I had little qualms with giving them money to support it and also enhance my already enjoyable experience.

Good f2p games make you feel like your getting a backstage pass to a great concert.  SWTOR's model makes you feel bent over a barrel, helpless.  Which is more likely to have a positive consumer reaction?

Considering the amount of money they have raked in since providing the FTP option I'd say it's been mostly positive. A few gripers on a website does not a majority make.Sorry.

By the way, how's TERA doing these days?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by syriinx

SWTOR is by far the most atrocious f2p model ever invented.  As one guy mentioned, there's a paywall behind "hide helmet".  

I guess youve never played LOTRO

and hide helmet is the EXACT type of thing that should be behind a paywall.  its 100% cosmetic.   Would you rather have classes locked or planets locked?

SWTOR's model is fine.   There may be better models out there, but there are certainly far worse too.  

No, sorry SWTOR is the worst.  If not the worst than the 2nd worst of all time in MMO history for AAA games.

And yes I definitely would rather have classes/content locked.  I'd rather be able to play the full version of part of the game then a half-assed version of all of the game, that constantly reminds you you're playing a half-assed version in every possible conceivable way (and even goes so far as to make the game less enjoyable without you even knowing about it, like in the OP).

"It's 100% cosmetic".  Well, what about all the other stuff behind the gates.  Xp gain, etc.  I don't even know what most of it is since I tried the game recently and after the 10th time I was told I should subscribe to be playing the full-game, I stopped playing.

And it's not because I think 15 is too much to spend on a game; I spent 100 dollars on a ftp game last month (which in retrospect is too much I think but the way the business model works so well I can't resist- and just plunked another 10 down today).  It's because the model was making the game so unenjoyable I felt that I would have to pay just to maybe enjoy it.  On the other hand, the game that got my money made the game so enjoyable that I had little qualms with giving them money to support it and also enhance my already enjoyable experience.

Good f2p games make you feel like your getting a backstage pass to a great concert.  SWTOR's model makes you feel bent over a barrel, helpless.  Which is more likely to have a positive consumer reaction?

Considering the amount of money they have raked in since providing the FTP option I'd say it's been mostly positive. A few gripers on a website does not a majority make.Sorry. By the way, how's TERA doing these days?

Please show EAs official report on how much money they "raked in" on SWTOR and SWTOR alone since providing teh FTP option.

A few gripers? RU serious?

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by nachofoot

Pay 2 win is when a Free 2 Play game is a farce.  Penalizing players with ninja nerfs behind the scenes is a farce.  They should man-up and state instead of trying to nerf you behind your back.  That's a cowards way out.

Free 2 Play games have micro-transactions that allow Free 2 Play players to enjoy the game on their level and unlock only what they need.  There's no way to unlock 20% schematic research.

This game is a farce.  They created Free to Play as a publicity stunt and never intended to implement it.  It will fall with the next Star Wars MMO harder than SWG.

It's why people call games like that freemium. These games are not designed to have every mmo parasite on the market leaching off it. If you want to play it you either pay the sub or accept the rather large limitations.

This needs to be repeated until the "OMG P2W" crowd gets it. This is NOT a FTP game. It's a sub game with a FTP OPTION. As far as I'm concerned they gave too much away by allowing players to level to 50 for free. At best the moochers that refuse to drop a dime on this game should only be allowed to get to the end of Chapter 1 and then be forced to pay to unlock the other chapters. They're getting a gift not being charged to play the best part of the game IMO.

It's advertised as a f2p game.

Anyway, the elitism of subscriber's in this thread is astounding.  Saying stuff like f2p players are leachers who should be treated as 2nd class citizens.  You realize those same players keep your game alive?  

And really that 15 a month you pay is chickenscratch compared to what some people pay in non-sub f2p games.

SWTOR is by far the most atrocious f2p model ever invented.  As one guy mentioned, there's a paywall behind "hide helmet".  

Their approach is to basically annoy the f*ck out of you until in utter exasperation you buy a sub.  It can aptly be described as cowardly, maybe even childish.  It's certainly unsophisticated and disrespectful.

The modern way to get people to pay money is to make them WANT to pay.  Not virtually waterboard them into submission until they pay.

And some people in this thread say it's not enough.  

Why not once a week send hired goons to drag out f2p players and flog them in the streets in the dead of night?  I'm sure it would amuse some of you elitescribers.

Yes, somehow theys think theyre special but forget that their game would be shut down without "freeloaders" since they couldnt keep it afloat with their subs.

SWTORs "F2P" is goddam awful, right beside what used to be EQ2 model, 2 worst on the market.

It shows on reduced development and constant pushbacks on content.

Its funny though, now you can see people in other games saying "WTF do you care how many people play it", just as it was with SWTOR.

Well, my experience in SWTOR was radically degraded because there was not enough people playing (empty servers+massive layoffs+drastically reduced development+content pace reduced to slower than snails+no more class stories (the only saving grace of teh game)+paid content even for those who paid subs+pretty much no chance to fix the engine), and its still degrading.

So yeah, it MATTERS how many people play (and pay)

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    ROFL!

The sub and preffered status players are the people keeping the game afloat. The freeloaders who come into the game with no intention of spending a dime while griping about perks are as useful to the game as bums living on the street are to a society. Yeah, they make the city look busy, but other than that they are nothing more than a heavy drain of resources.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

yeah they should have this as an unlock on the cartel market, account wide, also the craft queuing.

Preferred does not feel very preferred, still not really close to a sub even with paying for lots of expensive unlocks