Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I always wonder what to do after being on for 4+ hours

DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

I always log into this game everyday at around the same time. On my nights off i'll stay on abit longer, but after I hit that 4 hour mark, I end up just standing around wondering what to do now.

My typical day is this:

1. Q up for my low level roulette

2. Go do my beast dailies

3. Farm bray, hatali hm's a few times, get tired of it by that point.

4. Do a few rounds of battle leve's to gear up my retainers some

5. spend like 5 minutes checking on my retainers

6. Do a few guildheast's, those are really quick.

Pretty soon I'm gona have enough for my first book to work on for my atma weapon, that will definatly give me something to do :) Hopefully with that, it'll keep me buzy for awhile after that 4 hr mark. Seems like I complete all those things I listed in that amount of time.

I never had that problem in ffxi to be honest. Back in 2003-2005 era, I would get home from work around 7am and log into ffxi. If I was off the following night, I would just stay loged in until around 10pm the following night. Then I would get up around 6am log back in till 2 hours before I went back to work the following night. Even being on ffxi all that time I never semed to run outa stuff to do, but with ffxiv arr after that 4 hour mark it always hits me, and I end up loging off for several hours before I log back in. Never had that problem with ffxi.

Anyone else have that problem with ffxiv if its your day off and your like what should I spend my whole day doing? Only to end up taking a long break from it instead like I always do. I end up just browsing the internet, bored outa my mind lately. I really wish this game could hold my attention for really long play sessions, hopfully those atma books will do the trick.

Comments

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354

As a 10 years FFXI vet and been playing FFXIV since closed beta august of 2010 I agree with you not much to do in FFXIV compared to FFXI.

Things I enjoyed in FFXI that I miss in FFXIV:

1. Exploring, going to different places even though it took long time to get from A to B I enjoyed that over the FFXIV teleport system which makes world look so tiny and 0 danger from aggro you can just continue running anywhere without fear.
    2. Hunting notorious monsters was nice and the chance of obtaining something rare was cool, in FFXIV there isn't any rare items or notorious monsters lurking around the world.
    3. Gearing up and learning your job better in FFXI you had the chance to try your skills solo since solo was so hard but in FFXIV there is nothing of a challenge for a solo, I can solo all and any FATE with easy.
    I could go on and on but I don't want to turn this thread into a FFXI vs FFXIV just was showing that yes you're right after few hours it gets boring vs over nighters in FFXI.
    I am addicted to FFXIV though as I play every day and I never have time for any of my console games(PS3, PS4, Vita) I just wish FFXIV was more in depth like FFXI was. In my opinion FFXI was like a sandbox game and FFXIV is purely themepark.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Well, I don't participate in dungeons or raids or quests or fates really at all so my experience with this game may be a lot different from yours.

But for me, a typical long session of ffxiv may consist of some or all of the following:

Rare spawn botany nodes around the world.
    Daily supply and provision items for my grand company.
    Resupply my retainers with the usual top selling leathers,lumbers,cloths and ingots.
    Scan the market for current high demand, low supply items and craft accordingly.
    Send my retainers out on ventures and upgrade their gear if needed.
    Do some big fishing.
    Level up my chocobo at urths gift.
    Tend, fertilize, harvest plants in my garden.
    Add,remove,rearrange my house.
    Do some light roleplay at the inn.
    Make a set of spirit bond gear and make some materia.
    Mess around with some glamours.
    Craft some gear for friends leveling up new classes.
    Run some dol Levemetes for gil, cordials, ventures, and shards.

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Dzone

I always log into this game everyday at around the same time. On my nights off i'll stay on abit longer, but after I hit that 4 hour mark, I end up just standing around wondering what to do now.

My typical day is this:

Pretty soon I'm gona have enough for my first book to work on for my atma weapon, that will definatly give me something to do :) Hopefully with that, it'll keep me buzy for awhile after that 4 hr mark. Seems like I complete all those things I listed in that amount of time.

I never had that problem in ffxi to be honest. Back in 2003-2005 era, I would get home from work around 7am and log into ffxi. If I was off the following night, I would just stay loged in until around 10pm the following night. Then I would get up around 6am log back in till 2 hours before I went back to work the following night. Even being on ffxi all that time I never semed to run outa stuff to do, but with ffxiv arr after that 4 hour mark it always hits me, and I end up loging off for several hours before I log back in. Never had that problem with ffxi.

Anyone else have that problem with ffxiv if its your day off and your like what should I spend my whole day doing? Only to end up taking a long break from it instead like I always do. I end up just browsing the internet, bored outa my mind lately. I really wish this game could hold my attention for really long play sessions, hopfully those atma books will do the trick.

Go outside??? lol

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

I've experienced the same thing myself - hitting the 4 hour mark or so and being "done" for the day.

It's not a bad thing to hope for more to do.  However, that 4-hour chunk of playability is perfect for the casual player, so I'm not too upset about it.  That lets the people who log in on work days feel like they've done something while getting to sleep at a decent time.  It's also nice to do other things rather than feel forced to keep playing (bad) or be so into the game that you keep going all the time (good for fun, but bad if it's interfering with Life in General.)

• ArashiDemonArashiDemon Member UncommonPosts: 4

Your typical day could be any or all of the following adding up to more hours than any day allows

I always log into this game everyday at around the same time. On my nights off i'll stay on abit longer, but after I hit that 4 hour mark, I end up just standing around wondering what to do now....

Q up for my low level roulette
    Go do my beast dailies
    Farm bray, hatali hm's a few times, get tired of it by that point.
    Do a few rounds of battle leve's to gear up my retainers some
    spend like 5 minutes checking on my retainers
    Do a few guildheast's, those are really quick.

Originally posted by Foomerang
    Rare spawn botany nodes around the world.
    Daily supply and provision items for my grand company.
    Resupply my retainers with the usual top selling leathers,lumbers,cloths and ingots.
    Scan the market for current high demand, low supply items and craft accordingly.
    Send my retainers out on ventures and upgrade their gear if needed.
    Do some big fishing.
    Level up my chocobo at urths gift.
    Tend, fertilize, harvest plants in my garden.
    Add,remove,rearrange my house.
    Do some light roleplay at the inn.
    Make a set of spirit bond gear and make some materia.
    Mess around with some glamours.
    Craft some gear for friends leveling up new classes.
    Run some dol Levemetes for gil, cordials, ventures, and shards.

Level a class that is completely opposite of what you have been playing for longer than 20 minutes/A few leves/hests. Keep in mind the upcoming possible jobs ninja and musketeer. (This also helps newbies in the server)

Level sub classes for additional traits for said job

Check out the scenery in some of the places you end up with these classes. I am still finding new and interesting things I never noticed before.

Run some Leviathans or farm gear in Coil (Or wherever your progression lies)

Help out some FC/LS mates with whatever tasks they may be pursuing

All in all there is a whole shitload of things to do in the game. I agree 11 had even more but they also had an entirely different market at that time and depending on when you entered keep in mind they may have been 2 expansions in already! Gamers nowadays are way harder to please!! Also keep in mind you were younger and possibly much more easily entertained.

To me this is like comparing 3-7-10-12. All were great and all were original. You cannot expect this to be the same as 11. I personally do find 14 more enjoyable. It is more casual but there will be expansions that will add a whole lot of content, not just patched content. Many people are played out already and that is sad but they havent explored half the venues of the game and have already dropped it.

All in all two things. Try your best not to compare FF games. Try your best to play enough of the game to keep you occupied but not too much that you play yourself out. There will be lots of content to come (Including new jobs!!!) as long as we support it. I have faith in Yoshi! Hope you do too

-Malak

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    As it is just about all the MMO themepark generation of games, things get rather sparse near the end of the game due to a lack of utility and flexibility with the game system and the world design.   They can keep adding content, but at this point I'm having a hard time believing people haven't had enough of the rep grind based questing at end game and possibly the tiered bosses that must be accessed in sequence.
  • Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732

After 4 hours, you honestly don't want to do something else like in real life? After 4 hours after work, I have to go to sleep, wake up and get then immediately go to work, I technically don't have 4 hours between work shifts so to some people, this isn't an issue. I think part of the problem is, people aren't creative enough or don't want to bother exploring other options presented. Are you in an FC? Consider helping others that might be behind? Does your FC have a house? Have you tried gathering or crafting?

I can't imagine much more that you could of done in FFXI than you couldn't do in FFXIV aside from the fact that everything in FFXI was probably harder and everything just took longer to do anyway. An MMORPG shouldn't be entirely defined by the activities you can or cannot do, you seem to miss out on a whole social aspect of the game. And I think after 4 hours per day, you definitely have gotten your monies worth, that's 1/6th of a day. That's probably a good time to cut it off anyway and do something that's actually productive or perhaps you just need another MMO if you really feel 4 hours isn't enough. It just sounds like an addiction after that.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I think dungeon queues alleviated a lot of the wait time that came with MMOs. You could stay on for twice the time just because it took forever to find a group.

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

My typical day is this:

FFXIV bored me after 30 minutes once I played the first month or two. Game gets boring fast in every way, boring combat, boring quests, boring NPCs, boring everything.

The last 3 months I paid for I only logged in for holiday events to collect the special looking outfits then would logout, so I played about 4-5 days in those 3 months lol. 

The only good thing in the game is that "its final fantasy" so people mostly play it for the nostalgic feeling they get listening to the FF music, the chocobos, mogs and familiar items, spells and classes. The actual game is below average.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!