Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you have a programmable Keyboard or Mouse do the following. (UPDATED WITH PICTURES)

WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I wanted to help you folks out, I read a few people saying that they are having some ability delays, and I feel ya, but what you think is ability delay is not delay at all.

ESO unlike just about every MMO has it set up were abilities go off upon key release instead of key press, having abilities go off on key release does just as it sounds so any delay on your part when pressing a ability will seem delayed.

I found a simple fix using a programmable Razer Naga Mouse, go into your hardware macro command and recreate the ability keys to go off on key press by creating a macro that reads (example: 1 down-1 up and so on) with no delay input and bind it to your keyboard or mouse buttons to play on key press, this will make all your abilities that you macro go off the moment you press the key, this made such a major difference in my game play I am shocked that ESO did not input this as a default function into the game.

Using the program Razer Synapse 2.0, I will do my best to show you what I did to program my mouse side buttons to trigger my abilities to go off on key press.

Step 1: Open up your macro tab.

Step 2: Click the + symbol on the left hand side below were it says "MACRO" . now name your macro under "MACRO NAME", (I named the macros in this case ESO 1-6) in this picture you see ESO 2 (meaning the number 2 ability key).

Step 3: On the left hand side click the "NO DELAY" so that it is enabled.

Step 4: On the left hand side click the "RECORD" then press the key of choice once.

Step 5: Click stop "RECORD".

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Now that you recorded the keys you want to use in game you will have to set them up, below I am going to bind my macro to my mouse side buttons, click on the number keys that you want to use.

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

When you click the button that you want to use you will see a drop down tab, select "MACRO" under "BUTTON ASSIGNMENT", then below that you will see "ASSIGN MACRO", open the drop down tab and find the macro you created in this case ESO 2.

Below that you will see "PLAYBACK OPTION", select "PLAY ONCE".

Now just repeat the process on all the keys you want to macro and you are done.

Open ESO running the program in the back round and enjoy.

Comments

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by Warjin

I wanted to help you folks out, I read a few people saying that they are having some ability delays, and I feel ya, but what you think is ability delay is not delay at all.

ESO unlike just about every MMO has it set up were abilities go off upon key release instead of key press, having abilities go off on key release does just as it sounds so any delay on your part when pressing a ability will seem delayed.

I found a simple fix using a programmable Razer Naga Mouse, go into your hardware macro command and recreate the ability keys to go off on key press by creating a macro that reads (example: 1 down-1 up and so on) with no delay input and bind it to your keyboard or mouse buttons to play on key press, this will make all your abilities that you macro go off the moment you press the key, this made such a major difference in my game play I am shocked that ESO did not input this as a default function into the game.

I saw someone suggest this in-game, but haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

Any chance you could write a step-by-step guide please?

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I use a G700 but you mean key '1' + arrow down  .What does 1 down mean . I usually just macro the numbers 1-9 which represent the skills which are assigned in game. Then when I hit 1 the skill associated to number '1' goes off. I can also use shift plus number to macro another 10 keys and then control and so on but I do not understand what 1 down means sorry.
    Chamber of Chains
  • XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Originally posted by cheyane
    I use a G700 but you mean key '1' + arrow down  .What does 1 down mean . I usually just macro the numbers 1-9 which represent the skills which are assigned in game. Then when I hit 1 the skill associated to number '1' goes off. I can also use shift plus number to macro another 10 keys and then control and so on but I do not understand what 1 down means sorry.

g700 using logitech game panel you'd macro your keys so the key that would press 1 has this macro:

press start recording

press 1

press stop recording

you should see

1 (downarrow)

1(uparrow)

right click on 1 (uparrow), add a delay, change the miliseconds to 33 or so (some games need this)

You're all done! now when you hit that key, 1 is instantly pressed and released even if you hold it for a while.

For further clarity, the macro you recorded now is

1 (image of a downarrow)

delay 33ms

1 (image of an uparrow)

the downarrows and up arrows corrispond to what state the key is in, the downarrow symbolizes pushing the key down, the uparrow is the opposite, (releasing the key)

• Mordeth123Mordeth123 Member Posts: 15

So this fix would make you a macro'er, and thus should be banned from the game. Yepp.

I wonder how many "fixes" the community has to do for ZOE in ESO. The UI is so badly made, it's like they just put out the bare minimum because they knew people would make better add-ons for FREE. Now they've even endorsed a 3rd party trading site. A site which came into excistence because trading in this game is a pain in the...

• XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Originally posted by Mordeth123

So this fix would make you a macro'er, and thus should be banned from the game. Yepp.

I wonder how many "fixes" the community has to do for ZOE in ESO. The UI is so badly made, it's like they just put out the bare minimum because they knew people would make better add-ons for FREE. Now they've even endorsed a 3rd party trading site. A site which came into excistence because trading in this game is a pain in the...

Actually the EULA does not say macroing is not allowed, it say 1 keypress 1 action.  this is not breaking the eula.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Not to whine about ESO again, but EU players are suffering.....
    Cyrodiil is a joke with all the ability delays and weapon swap delay.

And not to forget the group crashes and relogs needed to get your passives going again after death.
    Sub is running out and no way we are going to resub untill most of this horrendous shait is fixed.
    But no mention of these bug fixes yet, not even in the next patch notes.

Another mmo going to get hit hard after the 1st month is up.
    But this time it might even be worse then SWTOR.
    That is if they ever broke 1 million units sold....
    As EU PVP campaigns are barely filled, 1 or 2 zergs roaming around, and in primetime you might get 1 campaign locked, thats around 2000 players total.

All signs are there for a total meltdown, ESO Reddit / MMORPG / Massively / Official Forums there is no place where people scream out their utterly frustration with this mmo.
    What the fack did Zenimax do tho this tittle....

I was all happy and dandy when leveling to 50 ! i tought WOAW what a game.
    Then you see the game going downhill so fast that you cant help but notice the total meltdown thats going to happen when the casuals catch up.

Anyway /rant off
    And thanks for sharing this Warjin :)

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

The UI is the same as Skyrim's is it not?  I hated that as well.  It was so they could easily convert to console. . or rather the other way around.  Eventually they patched the PC version to be more traditional.  Maybe it is worse that it is "as intented" but I don't have any issues with the interface once I was used to it.  At least not more than I did with  Skyrim.

OP thanks for the tip

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AyesdiephAyesdieph Member Posts: 14

LOL..  There is so much flawed logic in here that I wanted to quote it for posterity.  Someday I will use it as an example of how not to think or act in general for my younger kids.

------------

Aaaanyway.. The confusion about the 1 down, 1 up -  When you record a "macro" for a programmable device (macro is in quotes, because one keypress does not a macro make),  it records that you press down on the 1 key, and then also records that you let off of the 1 key causing the key to go back up. 

In short, all this is saying is that you pressed 1 and did not hold the key down.  You pressed 1 and immediately let back up on it.  The delay in between, somewhere around 33 milliseconds is good advice.  Some games will act as they should as long as there is a small delay between pressing the key down and then letting the key back up.

I use a Logitech G13 for my left hand, a G700s Mouse for my right hand and a G710+ Mechanical Keyboard.  All of which have many programmable buttons which I map to certain hot-keys. 

Loose Example (not necessarily exact or complete)  -  In ESO, I have ESC, Inventory, WASD, 1,2,3,4,5, Shift, Ctrl, E (use), Character Screen, Jump, Alt and a few others on my G13.

On my G710s mouse, I have Auto-Run, Map, Ultimate Ability, Mount, Sheath/Un-sheath weapons, and then some redundant keys like E (use) and Inventory.  The redundant buttons are for when I'm playing one-handed (while drinking some coffee for example).

If you possess a programmable peripheral and don't understand how to program the keys or buttons, you should familiarize yourself with the software that came with it.  For me, Logitech's Gaming Suite handles my G13, G710+ Keyboard, and G700s Mouse all in one package.

Most of the software for devices like these should have the most basic form of creating "macros" for your buttons where you can hit Record, hit the key you want it to fire, then hit Stop Recording.  If the delays it added were real-time, you will want to edit those delays and shorten them considerably.  Again, the 33 ms is as good a delay as any.

If you require more in-depth information or instructions, PM Me with the Brand and Model of your device(s) and I would be happy to  walk you through it step by step.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Im not sure if you are getting this information second hand.  But, I have not experienced this first hand in game.  Trading in general chat and guild stores is very easy.  Guild stores alone feel like individual auction houses.  I can usually find anything I'm looking for in no time.  

As far as the UI goes.  I do not share the same views with you.  The UI is very simple, yet effective.  I personally hate having a million action bars and recount meters and etc clogging up my screen.  Heres the thing, if you don't like it.  There are plenty of add-ons out there to customize it to your liking.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Okay I will try that on my mouse thanks
    Chamber of Chains
  • Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

The delays players are seeing are not caused by key press-key release actions.

If you've ever coded under MSWindows, especially back in the days on Windows 95 using the Win32 API, yes, there are various Windows events that must be handled that correspond to Mouse Button Down, Mouse Button Up, etc., and keypresses must be decoded to determine which key has been pressed.  Most of that stuff is handled these days for the coder, but it wasn't in the "old days".

What you're not taking into account is "auto-repeat" and the keyboard buffer.  If you hold down a key, a release will automatically be generated for you and inserted in the buffer after the keypress code.

The event delays that are being seen are sometimes several seconds long; auto-repeat is much faster than that.

The event delays have to do with client-server handshaking and processing at the client of the GUI code, not performance of the microswitches used in keyboards.

• Mordeth123Mordeth123 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

Im not sure if you are getting this information second hand.  But, I have not experienced this first hand in game.  Trading in general chat and guild stores is very easy.  Guild stores alone feel like individual auction houses.  I can usually find anything I'm looking for in no time.  

As far as the UI goes.  I do not share the same views with you.  The UI is very simple, yet effective.  I personally hate having a million action bars and recount meters and etc clogging up my screen.  Heres the thing, if you don't like it.  There are plenty of add-ons out there to customize it to your liking.

I've played the game for a month, using macros from a 3rd party application on my Logitech keyboard+mouse. The fact that you have to make your own macros in order to play the game -as intended- speaks volumes of the craftmanship put into the development of this game.

Calling the UI effective is rather strange. It's got no propper way of sorting materials or anything. You have to rely on add-ons to make in anywhere near effective, just like Skyrim. I do agree that the combat-UI works fine.

The guild AH is capped at 500 potential costumers(not what I'd call a healthy market), that is if you're lucky and are in a guild with 500 active members(good luck with that). Having the general chat spammed with WTS-WTT-WTB(and gold sellers) is not something you'd expect from an MMO anno 2014.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Darwa

I saw someone suggest this in-game, but haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

Any chance you could write a step-by-step guide please?

I updated this post with pictures, I hope this helps, good luck : )

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

I've played the game for a month, using macros from a 3rd party application on my Logitech keyboard+mouse. The fact that you have to make your own macros in order to play the game -as intended- speaks volumes of the craftmanship put into the development of this game.

Calling the UI effective is rather strange. It's got no propper way of sorting materials or anything. You have to rely on add-ons to make in anywhere near effective, just like Skyrim. I do agree that the combat-UI works fine.

The guild AH is capped at 500 potential costumers(not what I'd call a healthy market), that is if you're lucky and are in a guild with 500 active members(good luck with that). Having the general chat spammed with WTS-WTT-WTB(and gold sellers) is not something you'd expect from an MMO anno 2014.

I run a cyborg Rat 9 mouse and use that mouses software for keybinding for every single game (mmo or not).  You still have the option in game to set up basically any keybind you want.  So, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.  If your mouse doesn't work in game with the in game keybindings, maybe you need to update your mouse drivers.

Also, while there is a 500 person cap on a guild.  You can be in 5 guilds at once.  So, you could possibly be viewing items up for sale from 2500 people.  Sounds like a normal mmos server auction house to me.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I updated this post with pictures, I hope this helps, good luck : )

Worked a charm. Thanks mate :)