Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO console release delayed by 6 months

Comments

• QuasabiQuasabi Member Posts: 9
    So then, I guess they'll be mass producing the game on console just to give those copies away for free?  Since of course the game will be free to play when the console section of the game goes live?  Why doesn't anyone ever actually think about this?  What company in their right minds would even do such a thing?  
  • MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    Originally posted by Quasabi
    So then, I guess they'll be mass producing the game on console just to give those copies away for free?  Since of course the game will be free to play when the console section of the game goes live?  Why doesn't anyone ever actually think about this?  What company in their right minds would even do such a thing?  

Eh? It will release as a free to play game with cash shop. Plenty of companies do such a thing.

Or maybe b2p

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Nice to see that the console version gets an extra 6 months worth of beta testing and fixing, while we PC users get shafted with the bug ridden version we have now, wtg ESO
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I wasn't aware that they intended to fail a second time. Good that their spacing it out?

"While it has become clear that our planned June release of the console versions isn't going to be possible, we have made great progress, we have concluded that we'll need about six more months to ensure we deliver the experience our fans expect and deserve."

I don't trust their conclusions about how much time they need to make that kind of an experience. Well, maybe for the 'expect' part at this point.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    From what I saw in ESO beta there were very few bugs and the game actually ran very well. The ESO launch was one of the smoothest I have ever seen and I have been following MMO releases for over a decade. Delaying the console release seems very uncalled for. By then the hype for this game will have died down and they will lose a lot of sales. Maybe they are planning to switch to a strict B2P model by then and are just dragging out the PC subscription time before releasing a B2P console.
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by Novusod
    From what I saw in ESO beta there were very few bugs and the game actually ran very well. The ESO launch was one of the smoothest I have ever seen and I have been following MMO releases for over a decade. Delaying the console release seems very uncalled for. By then the hype for this game will have died down and they will lose a lot of sales. Maybe they are planning to switch to a strict B2P model by then and are just dragging out the PC subscription time before releasing a B2P console.

This is my estimation too. Time will tell :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I would not be surprised, if the console release is void now.

Maybe they need some time to manage the refunds on the console version preorders ?

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by Novusod

Given the many crashes players experienced, quests that are bugged to where they can't be finished, many instances of getting physically stuck, ridiculous amounts of botting, day 1 dup glitch that very much hurt the economy. And, general lack luster of most every one who paid into it... I don't believe you have followed even 1 mmo release. Yet alone many over a decade for you to call this one "One of the smoothest I have ever seen". Also, the hype died for this game pre-launch.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I don't care anymore about what happens to ESO I like the game but its just a quest grind.

still better than anything else out there for the past view years.

looking forward to the repopulation,warhammer and dreanor-my hope now for a great game is EQN.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I'm also agreeing with Novusod.  It would make the most sense.  I would have joined up for TESO if they ran on PS3.  I don't have a 4quad put it together myself from parts PC and I'm not buying any more game stations.  Sick and tired of game stations putting one out every couple years to tell me all that I already invested in is now obsolete.  Fuck em.  I loved Skyrim and all it's lore so it's sad to see TESO struggle.  My money is in FFXIV which is polished and on my nice old fashion PS3.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

6 months!!!

I knew the game was having some serious issues with bugs etc, but i had no idea they were that bad that it would take 6 months to fix, somehow i think the problem here is not just in game bugs but problems with the mega server thing itself, and possibly the game engine, 6 months is not just a simple bug fixing exercise! image

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

I wonder, if they have so many changes planned for the game down the road if a console version is even viable?

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say if this gets pushed back again( from the already now announced 6 months delay) I will venture to say that the console versions wont happen. 

We shall see.

Z.

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Originally posted by Phry

6 months!!!

I knew the game was having some serious issues with bugs etc, but i had no idea they were that bad that it would take 6 months to fix, somehow i think the problem here is not just in game bugs but problems with the mega server thing itself, and possibly the game engine, 6 months is not just a simple bug fixing exercise! image

Phry I have to agree with this,  It seems easier for Zenimax to crank out new content than fix some basic issues like grouping etc.  I know people will flame me because I have been very vocal on this point but I wonder why they can go now more than a month and not easily fix the grouping phasing issue?  It must not be that easy to fix hence the core issue must be the engine.

Z.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    I'm also agreeing with Novusod.  It would make the most sense.  I would have joined up for TESO if they ran on PS3.  I don't have a 4quad put it together myself from parts PC and I'm not buying any more game stations.  Sick and tired of game stations putting one out every couple years to tell me all that I already invested in is now obsolete.  Fuck em.  I loved Skyrim and all it's lore so it's sad to see TESO struggle.  My money is in FFXIV which is polished and on my nice old fashion PS3.

actually, new game consoles come out every 7-8 years. plenty of time for u to save up for the new one. personally, i wouldnt b buying anything for ps3 if its available for ps4. that would b like upgrading my atari.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

Really all i can say is expected.

i have feeling they are pushing out craglorn, and other updates earlier then planned in order to stop some of the pc subscription hemorrhaging. delaying the console launch is probably a smart move as in the game will actually be ready(should have taken an extra 6 months on pc too), and release with more then 6 weeks worth of content.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Zeymere

I wonder, if they have so many changes planned for the game down the road if a console version is even viable?

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say if this gets pushed back again( from the already now announced 6 months delay) I will venture to say that the console versions wont happen. 

We shall see.

Z.

Indeed, it would not surprise me in the least if the game never managed to release on console after hearing this news, i don't know if its the game engine that just isn't stable enough, or the mega server combination that just is not suitable for consoles, but one thing for sure, they will not be allowed to release on console a game in such a shoddy state as it was on the PC. Can they fix it, or can it be fixed, that is the million dollar question.. all too literally i am guessing.image

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Sick and tired of game stations putting one out every couple years to tell me all that I already invested in is now obsolete. 

And yet you'd rather play on a PC?  That seems like a silly argument.  My PC is outdated in maybe 1-2 years.  The last round of consoles lasted for 6-8 years.  Yea they slim it down but putting a 360 game in an original 360 will play just like it plays on the 360 slim.  You may lose some backwards compatibility (which was removed all together on these newest 2) the hardware/tech is essentially the same.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Originally posted by silverreign

actually, new game consoles come out every 7-8 years. plenty of time for u to save up for the new one. personally, i wouldnt b buying anything for ps3 if its available for ps4. that would b like upgrading my atari.

he can also upgrade FFXIV to ps4 ver for free if he gets a ps4 before the end of the year. the dudes just apparently stuburn.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

I doubted when someone posted a screenshot of the faq. And then this came along:

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/05/08/eso-on-consoles--update

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Ikeda

Originally posted by Jemcrystal Sick and tired of game stations putting one out every couple years to tell me all that I already invested in is now obsolete. 
    And yet you'd rather play on a PC?  That seems like a silly argument.  My PC is outdated in maybe 1-2 years.  The last round of consoles lasted for 6-8 years.  Yea they slim it down but putting a 360 game in an original 360 will play just like it plays on the 360 slim.  You may lose some backwards compatibility (which was removed all together on these newest 2) the hardware/tech is essentially the same.

You know that Consoles be outdated the very moment the first one is sold?
    Heck - they be already outdated by the time the Prototype is build!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189

This could be good or bad ? 

Maybe all ready planing on going free to play or buy to play ? 

Hope it all works out . 

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    I love how they are blaming the network structures of Sony and Microsoft for the delay when we all know that it is because the glaring issues of the game have been brought to light by the PC version and that the game needs more time in the cooker.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Sounds like a good idea. Console players are generally a bit more whiny and expect perfection from day one, this will give them time to iron out any problems left over. Still enjoying the PC version and it has been a really smooth launch for me, but I can understand them wanting more time to fix it up for console players.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    people still use consoles to game?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    people still use consoles to game?

Some of us don't limit ourselves to one platform..   image

No signature, I don't have a pen

This discussion has been closed.