Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera IP Block and why they suck as a company

micropiratemicropirate Member Posts: 2
Tera has adopted a horrible business practice that blocks users based on GEO-location IP addresses. For instance in the Philippines (and  the rest of South East Asia) one can not access either the North America or EU servers. The only available option is Taiwan or South Korea based servers. The problem is that neither of those servers are in English. So the large English speaking populations of South East Asia (and other locations deemed as "high risk"  by En Masse due to Hackers and Gold Farmers (because I guess those people don't live in the NA or EU). When I return to the my home in the USA I will not be playing Tera due to their heavy handed and draconian IP blocking practices. And people ask why the game is not more popular.

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

In all fairness this is probably one of the better choices they made. There are probably 10 RMT for every honest player in that area.

Harbinger of Fools
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

more companys need to do that :D

tired of rmt , bots and hackers/scammers 99% of them are from asia (in my experience )

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I wish more games would do this.  Blocking regional IP's and VPN's would go a really long way to cutting down on things like bots and gold selling.

You make me like charity

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Yeah, like IP blocks stopped all RMTs...
  • FauneFaune Member Posts: 4

It's actually pretty common for companies to put a block on IP addresses for regions that have the same game.  Most of the time its not even the companies choice, but the developers choice as they are the ones who choose what companies get to use their game and under what terms.

Here is a wiki link that explains it better than I have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_lockout

In short, its not the company hosting the games fault at all and you shouldn't blame them for a developers choice (this is what the host had to agree with in order to even host the game).

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    They probably did it because gameforge is such a crappy company everyone was playing on the NA server. TERA never had a problem with bots or gold spammers. The way the cash shop is set up made it too easy to get gold the legit way.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Actually, this might be one of the least significant reasons for not playing TERA.  It is just a crappy game.  I advise most people to avoid it.  I  lasted less than a day in here.  The combat is dizzying and the quests are maybe the worst example of the quest hub type questing in MMOs. 
  • HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    They probably did it because gameforge is such a crappy company everyone was playing on the NA server. TERA never had a problem with bots or gold spammers. The way the cash shop is set up made it too easy to get gold the legit way.

Just thinking about GF makes me see red.

Hmm I am playing on the NA server - I'm at work so I can't check if I still have access.

Would be funny if I find out I was praising them here not knowing I am already blocked haha.

Harbinger of Fools
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Hmm I am playing on the NA server - I'm at work so I can't check if I still have access.

Would be funny if I find out I was praising them here not knowing I am already blocked haha.

I went and looked it up. It looks like you'e safe.

We Block IP Addresses Used By Hackers.

En Masse will block IPs based on region. Asia, Africa, and the Middle East are included on the block list. While we appreciate that there are players in these regions who would enjoy playing on En Masse servers, it's unfortunate that the vast majority of Internet traffic we see from these regions are from cyber-criminals relating to account theft, gold-farming and other hacking behavior.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    Ip blocking is a fairly common practice. I really do think that it cuts down on RMT as well. Sorry you can't play, but I would hardly crucify the whole company because they host a NA server and block IPs outside of North America.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I think it's a good move and I hope more companies adopt the policy. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Looks like this thread backfired and honestly how else can they mass stop hackers/crakers these days? Finally a company doing something on a much broader scope, sorry but this kind of stuff is needed especially considering the wide spread abusers.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Originally posted by CowboyHat
    Ip blocking is a fairly common practice. I really do think that it cuts down on RMT as well. Sorry you can't play, but I would hardly crucify the whole company because they host a NA server and block IPs outside of North America.

as EU player i can play Tera NA , and since i despise gameforge i played Aion on NA too (waaaaaay better f2p)

this ip blocks have nothing to do with game published by other company in other continent and more to stop boting / rmt / scams / hacks ect.

Dont get me wrong sadly NA/EU players do that too .

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Tera most defiantly had a problem with gold spammer when the game first came out.

• EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Actually, this might be one of the least significant reasons for not playing TERA.  It is just a crappy game.  I advise most people to avoid it.  I  lasted less than a day in here.  The combat is dizzying and the quests are maybe the worst example of the quest hub type questing in MMOs. 

The combat is "dizzying" only to people too incompetent to adapt to anything that isn't tab-targeting. Oh, and "less than a day"--at least you gave it to level 5 or 6 to make up your mind :rolleyes:

• AzureSkiesAzureSkies Member UncommonPosts: 59

Slight thread necro, but I was just so surprised with these posts, and they're similar to many on TERA NA's forums. Just gotta say this: 

I'm a Malaysian, played WoW, iRO, RIFT, SWTOR and a bunch of other MMOs. I don't hack or bot or do RMT, and many of my fellow, gaming countrymen don't either. And we're still IP blocked despite being psyched for the game.

The racist generalizations and stereotypes I keep getting from TERA NA players is appalling, like in this thread. Really, guys, this isn't the 50s anymore. Quit thinking other people are [insert skin color]  monsters out to steal your money and babies. Sheesh.

Granted, this thread isn't half as bad as those on the official forums, but still. smh

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188
    and i suppose people dont use proxys to get around this ip ban? how can they tell if someone's using a vpn or one of the many free proxies out there?

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Most companies do this. It is just not En Masse. I know Trion does that as well as A.Net.

• Luxus420Luxus420 Member Posts: 4

@AzureSkies

Dude, not wanting gold farmers in the game doesnt make us racist. Nobody said that we only want a certain race of players playing the game nor did anyone say that we DON'T want a certain race of players playing the game. I really dont give a shit if it is white, black, green, or purple people living in this region, I dont want gold farmers playing the game, and by blocking regions like this GREATLY reduces the amount potential gold farmers.

With that said, I am sorry that legit players like you, and those that you know, are affected by region blocks, but it doesnt give you the right to accuse others of racism for simply wanting REGIONS, not RACES, blocked to make our gaming experience better. Maybe instead of blaming "racist" NA players, or blaming  the developers of games that use region blocks, why not blame the people that live in your region that are causing developers to use, and NA players to want, these region blocks.

Just like you don't like being generalized and being placed in "the same boat" as the cheating gold farmers that live your region, we don't like being generalized as racist, simply because we want region blocks.

Originally posted by AzureSkies

Slight thread necro, but I was just so surprised with these posts, and they're similar to many on TERA NA's forums. Just gotta say this: 

I'm a Malaysian, played WoW, iRO, RIFT, SWTOR and a bunch of other MMOs. I don't hack or bot or do RMT, and many of my fellow, gaming countrymen don't either. And we're still IP blocked despite being psyched for the game.

The racist generalizations and stereotypes I keep getting from TERA NA players is appalling, like in this thread. Really, guys, this isn't the 50s anymore. Quit thinking other people are [insert skin color]  monsters out to steal your money and babies. Sheesh.

Granted, this thread isn't half as bad as those on the official forums, but still. smh

It's really funny how you try to turn this into racism.

Just because you and your friends are playing honest doesn't mean that your country doesn't have a high percentage of RMT.

If you think we are looking at  ingame characters and wonder what skin color is behind them, then you are the one generalizing.

Harbinger of Fools
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    i don't care what nationality people are who play my game (in fact i've gone out of my way to learn a few portugese phrases so i can be friendly to the BR who play tera when i play it), but i do care if my game lets in 10,000 gold spammers to ruin the economy.  i saw one of my absolute favourite games ever... L2... ruined by adena spammers and bots.  these spammers and bots, at least in the case of L2, originated overwhelmingly from china.  whether or not it's the case in Tera I don't know but i figure it must be.  think about it, EME would not lock out hundreds of thousands of potential paying customers without some reason that gives them the idea that in the long run they will lose, not gain money from letting them in... possibly because gold spammers ruin games...

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by AzureSkies

This is a pretty disgusting way of looking at this.  Sorry your region tends to bring out the worst people in games (hackers, botters, account thieves etc).  I'm also sorry legit players are not able to play because of it.  But, I would rather not have my games infested with RMT.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Malaysian itself is not responsible for gold sellers if you check our economy you will understand but we are in that region unfortunately so when they block a region Singapore and Malaysia get caught in it.
    Chamber of Chains
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Malaysian itself is not responsible for gold sellers if you check our economy you will understand but we are in that region unfortunately so when they block a region Singapore and Malaysia get caught in it.

I can understand that.  But, you are not unique to IP blocks.  There are mmos that western players can't play because of IP block as well.  Just an example, Blade and Soul is IP blocked to NA.  I mean, there are ways around it.  But, you could say that for anyone.