Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What useful things have you learned from the Weekends?

RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

After seeing that Wildstar is having another beta weekend. With their release coming up in June. Plus finally being convinced by my time in the game to pre-order and play. I started to think about some of the things I've learned about the game while playing. You know small things I plan to apply when I start playing. Thought I'd share a few and hear a few from those interested.

1) Going to have two characters from the start. Warrior for my PvP fix. Medic for my general play character. Why? Simply because as much as I enjoyed my Medic in PvP. I find that I really dont want to do that much thinking while PvPing. At least not right now.  So in the pops the Warrior. No muss no fuss, just alot of my enemies being turned into dust.

2) At 15 it's better not to go hog wild on buying housing stuff. First time I hit Illum (sp?) went into my house space.  Replaced the Tent with a house. Put up the Gather Tier 1 in a node, Festival Fab kit in a node. Garden Tier 1 in a node. BBQ pit in a node. Changed the walls in the house. Then looked down at how much money I had left. Let's just say I spent the next 2 levels without a mount. Plus I still didn't have all my level 15 abilities. (I buy them all even ones I don't use, for a just in case build, which brings up #3) so at game start my house will have nothing but a gathering node and maybe just maybe a BBQ pit.

3) It's really not necessary to buy every skill. If you have a good understanding of what it is you want your class to do. Because then you can just buy the abilities that fit your play style. I said it in another thread but on my engineering I had dropped all my bots except one. While I love the Engineers bots, I found that I wasn't going to be tanking with it so I just stacked Assault Skills.

4) 15 to 20 goes by very fast if you just repeatedly run Void. Was able to gear up nicely doing that. While it might not be some peoples cup of tea. I loved it. By time I hit 20 I was good enough at dealing with my class(s) to roll right in the dungeons or so I thought lol.

5) When you do get to 20 try to stick to one dungeon. Learn it well before you decide to try the other. I admit I kind of failed to grasp what Carbine was aiming for with  their telegraph mechanic. You see alot of it pre-20 but I didn't really appreciate it till my first dungeon run. The telegraph patterns on some of the boss fights just had me saying "wtf" alot.  I sort of felt like this guy http://youtu.be/2opIHgLueLM?t=2m9s I kid you not I was dancing all over the place trying to avoid some of the craziest patterns I'd ever seen in an MMO. Trying to memorize everything from both of the level 20 dungeons was daunting. After I restricted myself to just one until I had a tighter reign on it helped.

6) Crafting. I tried pretty much most of the Gathering and Crafting combinations. I found Technologist to be the easiest Crafting one, and oddly enough a bit useful too. As far as Gathering I found Relic Hunter and Mining to be the two easiest (at least on Dominion side) resources. Since I'm rolling two characters. With Medic being the primary and Warrior the PvP. I'm just going to grab two Gathering on my Medic and just mail resources to Warrior. This is just my opinion on the matter, but I found that starting crafting as soon as you got it, didn't really help much. Whereas with gathering I could easily do that while questing. Though the exceptions to that were Cooking and Technologist. While I couldn't do either out in the field the items I produced from them were useful enough to make me want to go back to a crafting station. Also want to point out that I loved Cooking. Very glad the Carbine decided to make it a hobby so it doesn't count towards your two Tradeskill limit.

7) Mounts. I'm still kind of in the air on this point. It made it slightly faster to get around. But as same time at 15 I was dealing with the Housing, the mount, and the need to still buy skills. Skills for me now, thanks to the beta weekends lessons, take priority for me over a mount and housing. All my characters during the beta had mounts but I found that it really wasn't as much of a necessity as I made it out to be after I got it. If the outfitting mount option was available when you got it even if they were low end fittings. I would be all on-board for grabbing my mount at 15. But currently I'm thinking I might just wait till 25.

8) You get a nice choice of a 23 hour buff the control panel near where you warp into your house at. Plus the rested exp bonus for being in your housing instance (which looks like it increase according how much house decor you have)

9) AMP's. I had picked up quite a few and trashed them before I realized what they were lol. Finally read the description of one that matched a skill that was locked in my skill list. Had an "oh crap so that's how you get that skill" moment. My advice. Keep them ones you dont want even if they aren't for your class. Trade them for the ones you do from other people.

In War - Victory.
In Peace - Vigilance.
In Death - Sacrifice.

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

Nice read =-) I kinda like the rest EXP being a casual player so housing is no small thing for me. I will build my house at the cost of skills. As I know what style I wana play and will skip skills till I am rich. More things in your housing instance the faster you get rest exp. The other big lesson is gear, it dont matter so dont spend money on it. Only item worth upgrading with money is your weapon. What you get from quests and dungeons will do. 

Add ons are your friend. This game is awesome but has some really big holes in it. Like trying to just follow a team mate in the open world. They made the UI to minimalist and dumb things like FoV is set so when you zoom out your char looks way to small. CLICK HERE for some great add ons.

If an item you pick up has a message when you mouse over, read everything. Trust me... you will kick yourself if you dont lol

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Thanks for the add-on link. I had forgotten about them. Think I'll give a few of them a try this weekend.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.