Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are you over 60 years old and still play?

SilkravenSilkraven Member UncommonPosts: 74
I'd like to know because I'm a senior and still enjoy my gaming.

Comments

• rainorxxrainorxx Member Posts: 85
    I.m 52 years old, and play often. 
  • summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Silkraven

Well , I am 57 , and gaming is my life , have been addicted to games since Pong first appeared in the Pubs in the early 70's ! :)

I also ran two very successful indie Video Games shops for 10 years ( Until I could no longer cope with GAME and Gamestation onslaught. here in the UK ) I love gaming , especially Mmo's and have played nearly every single one of them. Currently having immense fun in Archeage.

I was getting a little worried that I might be the one of the oldest ones on this site , so great to meet you ! :)

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

nowt wrong with enjoying your gaming when your hair turns grey. not over 60 yet, and tbh not sure if i'll still be alive in a few years time when that birthday comes up but if i manage to last the next few years i hope i'm still playing games.

if you enjoy yourself still, why let age restrict your activities - if you enjoy yourr games who's to say age should restrict what you can and cant do?

btw, glad to see that i'm not the only silver surfer here in the uk who enjoys playing onlne games summitus. (also 57)

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Silkraven

I'm turning 43 this year but feel like I'm 60 and still game, does that count. I honestly don't see myself not gaming at any point in my life unless health issues or something else make it impossible eventually.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

I am 47 and I have been a gamer since Pong! and Dungeons and Dragons in the 70's.

I even have a Youtube channel as the "Vintage Gamer" where I talk about all aspects of gaming and even showcase items from my collection of gaming relics.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Greyhawk4x4 

Enjoy!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I'm part of an online community that has a minimum age of 25. The avg age is probably over 40 and there are lots of retired people. There's about 5000 active members that all log in at least once a month ( or they get set to inactive till they do ) 

I don't think the older gamer population is all that small because mature themed guilds are hardly a rare thing anymore.

Originally posted by ikcin
    I have strange feeling that thread will become very popular here :)

Lets hope so , otherwise us old gits may be small in number indeed ! :)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    52 and still playing mmos and other video diversions -- still play rpgs like pathfinder too
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Not 60 but 54 chiming in or should I say tolling in.
    Chamber of Chains
  • GangliaRoseGangliaRose Member Posts: 1
    66 and retired.  I read and game and my wife reads and quilts.  No pressure to do things I don't want too.   I'll probably game until I die...afterwards too if the technology allows...just wire my brain-in-a-jar up and I will group with Abby Normal for eternity.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Just turned 56 a week ago. Sometimes i feel guilty for still loving games. But i can't let it get to me.
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Just turned 56 a week ago. Sometimes i feel guilty for still loving games. But i can't let it get to me.

Never ever feel guilty , its our generation that invented Video games ,  Not the Angry Birds Generation ! :)  :p

Originally posted by summitus
    Originally posted by ikcin
    I have strange feeling that thread will become very popular here :)

Lets hope so , otherwise us old gits may be small in number indeed ! :)

I know that for some of us older folks, there is a fear of being stigmatized as people who should have "outgrown" gaming. 

I have a brother-in-law that says I am too old to spend time gaming and that I should spend my time on stuff that "matters". This is coming from a guy who spends 1000's of dollars and countless hours working on his antique cars.  I asked him what the difference is between his hobby and mine and his response was, "cars are for adults, games are for kids".

To each their own I guess. 

I will be gaming until the day I die.

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546

I'm 45 and still gaming, It's actually gotten a lot easier to game now a days since the Kids have all grown up and moved out :)

I wish they would stop making everything console orientated ,  not sure I'll ever change from mouse/keyboard..

Great to hear there is still a good community of veteran gamers out there, If only there was a page for veteran (old guys and gals) that listed specific games and those guilds where a veteran player could go enjoy himself without the daily Kids chat.

Originally posted by bschittone

I'm 45 and still gaming, It's actually gotten a lot easier to game now a days since the Kids have all grown up and moved out :)

I wish they would stop making everything console orientated ,  not sure I'll ever change from mouse/keyboard..

Great to hear there is still a good community of veteran gamers out there, If only there was a page for veteran (old guys and gals) that listed specific games and those guilds where a veteran player could go enjoy himself without the daily Kids chat.

I think I read somewhere today that PC Gaming has still  outsold even the latest consoles , PS4 and Xbox One , :)

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I played my first computer game on an IBM 1020 main frame using a 130 column paper terminal. There's no telling how much paper I wasted on that text parser game just so I could type in things like 'go west'.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

I think I read somewhere today that PC Gaming has still  outsold even the latest consoles , PS4 and Xbox One , :)

I read somewhere that developers are also starting to prefer PC once again as well. I think that STEAM has something to do with that.

Originally posted by Greyhawk4x4

I read somewhere that developers are also starting to prefer PC once again as well. I think that STEAM has something to do with that.

Haha , it has as far as I'm concerned , I think I have nearly 800 games on Steam ! :o

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Greyhawk4x4

his response was, "cars are for adults, games are for kids".

To each their own I guess. 

i have similar problems w golf

i enjoy minigolf but regular golf bores me to tears

• Mr_SneakymanMr_Sneakyman Member UncommonPosts: 43
    50 years old here. Got hooked on EQ 1 back in 2002, then came WoW - been an on again /off again citizen of Azeroth ever since. Glad to see so many "mature" gamers out there. My wife thinks I'm the only one.
  • markh777markh777 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I'm 50 and have no intention on stopping....I also wanted to mention I know of a guy in Eve, when I used to play, who was in a corp I was in...he was 80...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    56 and still gaming strong. Lifelong hobby, and easier to play after dark, unlike golf.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of us , more mature members on this site  especially when I see some of the peeps that have been on here the same length of time I have.
  • SlaygarSlaygar Member UncommonPosts: 1

O yes, I'm almost 68 yrs old and still very much love  PC gaming. I started back when the only online games were the BBs's and muds.My first computer was an Atari (brown box) no Hard drive and only 256 ram and a whopping 300/1200 baud modem. Been hooked ever since. I was a beta test for "Ultima online". There isnt much out there in the RPG category I haven't played online and off.

Currently playing TESO and Secret World

I'll be gaming until my fingers stop workihg :)

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546

Sounds like maybe we could make a group in Steam to keep in touch, I am guessing many of us have way to many games already in Steam :)

I am like a kid on Christmas everytime they have a major Steam sale.