Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR No Longer Officially Canon

SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

SWTOR is officially no longer considered canon. Best news I've heard in awhile since SWTOR never felt like Star Wars in the first place.

Hopefully this encourages another Star Wars MMO closer to the original triology.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/26/star-wars-expanded-universe-including-games-no-longer-canon/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-25-lucasfilm-decrees-the-star-wars-expanded-universe-as-non-canon

Comments

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    The people who own the rights don't care what fans or the creators say aboit canon. Just look at Star Trek.
    Besides, the idea of Star Wars is not original and basically a rip off of a much better film. Also, Star Wars is boring, the story is always the same. Good jedi run everything, bad jedi show up and wreck things, good jedi come back and make things right.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Was the old republic ever considered canon ?..at least by GL ?
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I think as far as GL was concerned, if he got money for it, it was canon.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Yes. A week ago anything with 'Star Wars' on it was considered canon by Lucasfilm. However, GL always changed anything he wanted for the movies if convenient.

But there were always people at Lucasfilm that kept up with all the official canon stuff.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    knights of the old republic 1 and 2 had a better story than any of the movies, its on its own level.
  • quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

It probably doesn't really matter what Lucasarts thinks anymore, since the rights now sit with Disney.  If the Mouse likes it, it's canon.

Originally posted by quixadhal

It probably doesn't really matter what Lucasarts thinks anymore, since the rights now sit with Disney.  If the Mouse likes it, it's canon.

This announcement was made officially from Lucasfilm which is owned by Disney.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by SlothnChunk

SWTOR is officially no longer considered canon. Best news I've heard in awhile since SWTOR never felt like Star Wars in the first place.

Hopefully this encourages another Star Wars MMO closer to the original triology.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/26/star-wars-expanded-universe-including-games-no-longer-canon/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-25-lucasfilm-decrees-the-star-wars-expanded-universe-as-non-canon

God please no... I hate the idea of going up to someone like Han Solo and being asked to kill 20 womp-rats and return... LEAVE THE CANNON CHARACTERS OUT. Branch out, extend the universe, create new stories, like... SWTOR. Asking to live and adventure in just a little portion if a SciFi IP is like eating the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

God please no... I hate the idea of going up to someone like Han Solo and being asked to kill 20 womp-rats and return... LEAVE THE CANNON CHARACTERS OUT. Branch out, extend the universe, create new stories, like... SWTOR. Asking to live and adventure in just a little portion if a SciFi IP is like eating the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

I meant a Star Wars MMO closer to the original trilogy in terms of time. No interaction with the original characters would be needed.

One of the biggest problems with SWTOR is that it takes place so far away from the original trilogy. The game just doesn't feel like Star Wars to me.

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

If I recall, Star Wars had different tiers of canon, with the movies being at the top. In cases of inconsistencies or conflicting information, the higher tiered canon would supersede the lower tier.

I think I like the direction they're heading in though. Alternative universes will give authors more creative freedom. With so many authors writing in the universe, I'd imagine the authors have to make quite a bit of changes to their ideas in order to stay consistent with canon established by their peers.

I wonder if this will allow for the possibility of having several different AUs. For instance, maybe Timothy Zahn could come back and write a universe where Chewie and Mara don't kick the bucket...

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Was it canon when GL took out a gun and shot Star Wars in the mouth.  Canon has not existed since Return of the Jedi finished the original run on the big screen.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Isn't SWTOR set more than 1000 years before the events in the movies. Why would they appear in the game ?
    Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Isn't SWTOR set more than 1000 years before the events in the movies. Why would they appear in the game ?

Because SWTOR and everything else in the extended universe was considered canon or lore until a week ago. That means events that happened in SWTOR effected everything else regarding Star Wars for future novels, games, etc. You also couldn't blow up Tatooine or whatever in SWTOR because it existed in the canon in Episode IV.

Now it doesn't matter. SWTOR can blow up Coruscant now if they want. It doesn't matter. It's no longer officially Star Wars canon.

Hmm would EA risk pissing off the Star Wars fans who play though and what would be the benefit of not following the events that come later.
    Chamber of Chains
    Hmm would EA risk pissing off the Star Wars fans who play though and what would be the benefit of not following the events that come later.

It doesn't really matter either way since SWTOR is no longer Star Wars canon. As a huge Star Wars nerd this is huge news to me because after three plus decades of Lucasfilm having people enforcing canon and lore it's all gone. Irrelevant.

And now Star Wars nerds don't have to worry about the goofy crap EA/Bioware puts in SWTOR effecting Star Wars lore.

This is more to do with the upcoming movies than any games that is coming in the future and they have decided all the extended universe is no longer canon not just these games.
    Chamber of Chains
    This is more to do with the upcoming movies than any games that is coming in the future and they have decided all the extended universe is no longer canon not just these games.

Yea it effects everything in the extended Star Wars universe. But as a huge Star Wars nerd this is good news. SWTOR is no longer canon and it opens the door for a new Star Wars mmo with official canon set near the original trilogy.

This has nothing to do with games I'm sure. They did this for the new movies. The EU had very stupid stories set after the movies and they probably just want to do away with them all and start fresh. Now when they make their movies they wont have to explain why the emperor doesn't come back 15 billion times or in some obscure book this happens but in your movie it didn't. They can just say those stories are not canon so....

There will be no new star wars mmo in the next 10 years because EA has the rights till then. Disney has never made any secret about not caring about these games. They sold EA the rights because they had the money to buy them...that's it.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

Good! my first love has suffered enough from hack writers, fan fiction and silly games. As much as I liked KOTOR  the story was awful and the second one was worse and SWTOR set a new level of craptastic story telling. Much of the EU and game story lines are schlock, made to squeeze the IP for every dime,  Written by people who don't "GET" the setting.

As much as I love the original setting , it really doesn't work for a MMORPG backdrop.  How many MMORPG players would be willing to just be a grunt in a predetermined meta-plot? N00bslya321 can't blow up the DeathStar or WTFPwn Darth Vader,. You can't have Jabba the Hutt on farm status.

This has nothing to do with games I'm sure. They did this for the new movies. The EU had very stupid stories set after the movies and they probably just want to do away with them all and start fresh. Now when they make their movies they wont have to explain why the emperor doesn't come back 15 billion times or in some obscure book this happens but in your movie it didn't. They can just say those stories are not canon so....

There will be no new star wars mmo in the next 10 years because EA has the rights till then. Disney has never made any secret about not caring about these games. They sold EA the rights because they had the money to buy them...that's it.

I don't agree. Star Wars nerds kept up with SWTOR even if they didn't play it because of the lore added. I stopped playing SWTOR months ago but still read every SWTOR article on websites because of the possible lore added. I would read summaries of  Star Wars novels on Wookieepedia to learn the new lore.

That's all over for SWTOR. Interest in SWTOR among Star Wars fans will decline opening room for another Star Wars MMO. And with new movies coming out I wouldn't be surprised if EA funds another Star Wars MMO. A new MMO set around the original trilogy with official lore AND released after the first or second upcoming movies would be far more profitable than (non-canon) SWTOR.

I don't agree. Star Wars nerds kept up with SWTOR even if they didn't play it because of the lore added. I stopped playing SWTOR months ago but still read every SWTOR article on websites because of the possible lore added. I would read summaries of  Star Wars novels on Wookieepedia to learn the new lore.

That's all over for SWTOR. Interest in SWTOR among Star Wars fans will decline opening room for another Star Wars MMO. And with new movies coming out I wouldn't be surprised if EA funds another Star Wars MMO. A new MMO set around the original trilogy with official lore AND released after the first or second upcoming movies would be far more profitable than (non-canon) SWTOR.

People have been predicting it's fall since the day it launched. If people playing where really going to quit over a point of lore, they would have done so a looong time ago.

It being canon has nothing to do with who has the rights to make a star wars mmo.  And you think EA is just going to abandon it's 300 million dollar game to make another one just so it's " canon" again ?

People have been predicting it's fall since the day it launched. If people playing where really going to quit over a point of lore, they would have done so a looong time ago.

It being canon has nothing to do with who has the rights to make a star wars mmo.  And you think EA is just going to abandon it's 300 million dollar game to make another one just so it's " canon" again ?

Yes. I think the combination of SWTOR no longer being canon combined with new films and the possibility of making a canon MMO set around the original trilogy means big bucks. I don't expect SWTOR to disappear or anything but it certainly opens the door for a new MMO or some sort of Star Wars online world game.

• VendakuVendaku Member Posts: 77
    Really though, whether it is considered canon or not, is truly left upto the fans themselves. 
  • orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

Ummno...from here on out ...starting with the new Rebels show..anything made films or games or books will be official canon, no tiered canon. Along side was has come out on tv and movies.

Edit: Hmm I think i might have misread your post..I think you are including everything as non canon..which you would be correct as far as EU is concerned.

Originally posted by Zarbyte
    Really though, whether it is considered canon or not, is truly left upto the fans themselves. 

No it's not. You can call yourself a king, wear a crown from Burger King, and truly believe you are one.

Doesn't make it true or official.