Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

150 Dollars

2»

Comments

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I can't believe people are actually buying their way into Alpha's. I find it to be extremely scummy for developers to monetize their closed testing phases. 
  • AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by Binafus

It gives the company more money, more people spend on games there more games there will be and with larger budgets.

No, not at all. It just makes it clear to these companies that they do not need to make better games to make more money. They just need to invest in better marketing. The quality of the game is not that important, it needs to be passable and marketing needs to play the market in creating the hype and making the fans believe that this game is the next best thing. They are willing to pay upfront without knowing what they are paying for anyway.

It takes one to know one.

• BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Jonas_SG

So I spent 150 dollars to start playing ArcheAge Alpha yesterday.

I'm happy about it, i get some stuff when the game goes live and I get to play for free until it goes live.

The game is fun, I spend money on things I want.

It gives the company more money, more people spend on games there more games there will be and with larger budgets.

The people who want free games I'm helping make it possible for you to play free.

Why does this bother so many people on these forums?

Do you not want more games?

Do you not want F2P games?

Do you just not want me to have Fun?

I just don't get it.

Actually I paid 300 yesterday bought two accounts, does that make me double bad?

So you have made a topic  to justify the decision that you made about throwing 300$ away? 

Feeling guilty? I guess not lol.

I'm not feeling guilty about this in anyway, I felt a bit stupid for my purchase of ESO a friend told me it was like Daoc.

I was trying to make a point people like me are good for games in general.

Money is what drives game titles not their quest to make a few people that don't want to spend any money in a game.

When I was younger no way I would have spent money on something like this. 

What something costs is relative to how much extra money you have.

150 dollars to a lot of people is not a major decision, for some it is.

If you made 1,000 a day what would it matter if you spent 150 to play a game to play for months and get to start right now when you want too.   

If you were having trouble paying rent I would say stop playing games all together, so a 30 dollar expense is crazy for some people in my humble opinion.

Originally posted by Astraeis

No, not at all. It just makes it clear to these companies that they do not need to make better games to make more money. They just need to invest in better marketing. The quality of the game is not that important, it needs to be passable and marketing needs to play the market in creating the hype and making the fans believe that this game is the next best thing. They are willing to pay upfront without knowing what they are paying for anyway.

I been playing AA in Russia, I have two level 50s, heck I have gave Mail.RU over 150 dollars.  I have a bit of an Idea what kind of game it is, I think it is amazing.

You really believe the amount of money being spent on games has no relationship to how many games are being produced or the size of their budgets.  

You think actors would make 2,000,000 for a movie if there were no theaters, Football players would make 10 million a year with no NFL, Kobe would be getting paid 32 million this year if there were Lakers.

More money people pay for games more games you see and bigger budgets it is economics 101.

• KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by gorgopodis

I dont think that guy is true, he is trolling

I can believe there people who spend 300 euros just to play an alpha version

Except that this is incorrect.

$150 now gives you:

3 months of subscription/premium once the game goes live ($45 value)

$75 in game credits once the game goes live 

So you get $120 wort of stuff for launch - your actual price to play alpha is $30

Consider Elders Scrolls Online - $100 for Imperial edition

- no 3 month sub, you still have to pay $15 past the initial 30 days

- no in game credits or cash of any sort

- you get a horse that's worth 17K gold in game (by level 20 you have the money for it easily)

- a plastic statue

- an art book

Again - to me what Trion give you for $150 is actually much better - but again you don't have to spend a cent - you can just wait til launch and play for free.

In ESOs case - you can't play it for free ever (and it's a FAR worse game IMO than AA, like not even in the same league - again just my opinion)

So. ESO got blasted for a paywall.  Somehow even though this game has been out far a while and claims its in alpha and chairing 150 for you to test it isn't. I call BS. It's the same in both counts but it's ok for AA because you like it and are a fan. You try to justify it. They are both rip offs .  

• Pig-EyePig-Eye Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Voiidiin
    Originally posted by LuthorX

It's all about context.

Example...

I just spent $260 for 2 blackout blinds for my little girls room. Her rooms window's face toward the west. As long as the sun is shining, it's still playtime, regardless if it's past her bedtime (daddy's gaming time). $260 for 2 blinds to me is crazy, but my wife got the idea in her head... But I digress.

I would say your $150 investment will last longer than mine, esp once pumpkin gets her hands on them.

Good luck!

I live in Barrow Alaska, we get a summer of 24hours of sunlight. All you need is $10.00 of aluminum foil and a wet sponge.... Apply wet sponge to window.... place large piece of foil on wet window. Will stay on window for as long as you need and you can place a nice cheaper curtain for the inside. Blackout curtains are nice but yes they are super expensive, Foil is cheap and stays up as long as you want it. 

Anywho just offering some advice ;)

I actually thought about doing just that... shot down by the boss!

"Appearances" ...

I'm like "what ever" sigh!

In my mind, I'm thinking $260 is half of a good gun!

I got your Deliverance!

Where's my banjo?!!

Originally posted by Kryn
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by gorgopodis

I dont think that guy is true, he is trolling

I can believe there people who spend 300 euros just to play an alpha version

Except that this is incorrect.

$150 now gives you:

3 months of subscription/premium once the game goes live ($45 value)

$75 in game credits once the game goes live 

So you get $120 wort of stuff for launch - your actual price to play alpha is $30

Consider Elders Scrolls Online - $100 for Imperial edition

- no 3 month sub, you still have to pay $15 past the initial 30 days

- no in game credits or cash of any sort

- you get a horse that's worth 17K gold in game (by level 20 you have the money for it easily)

- a plastic statue

- an art book

Again - to me what Trion give you for $150 is actually much better - but again you don't have to spend a cent - you can just wait til launch and play for free.

In ESOs case - you can't play it for free ever (and it's a FAR worse game IMO than AA, like not even in the same league - again just my opinion)

So. ESO got blasted for a paywall.  Somehow even though this game has been out far a while and claims its in alpha and chairing 150 for you to test it isn't. I call BS. It's the same in both counts but it's ok for AA because you like it and are a fan. You try to justify it. They are both rip offs .  

Kryn I have no problem with what ESO charges or charged I bought the Imperial package just did not like the game.  

I have no problem what anyone charges it is up to each individual person to decide what they want to pay or not pay for any game.

I do not know what the dollar amount is that would have made me say "WoW that is too much for the founders pack in AA" but 150 dollars was not.  But then again you can pay nothing and get to play AA so not sure these are even the same thing.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Deifact

You're free to spend your money however you want. I don't really understand why there is an alpha anyway, isn't the game already up and running (and has been for a few years...) in other countries? Is it just alpha testing translation text? 

To me, it just seems like another "what can we get away with?" from MMO devs. The industry has been going downhill fast and by spending the 150 dollars you are effectively validating and even approving of this behaviour. Paying just standard box price in order to get alpha/beta access is cheeky since you are basically testing their game for them but because people are impatient they know they can rip you off.

Oh well, again its your money!

Agree with this 100%

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Please do not create new threads about the same topics for which there is already an existing thread.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.