Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think Wildstar will gather the hatred that ESO has?

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    I think a lot of people who have tested WS have come to the conclusion that it has nothing new to offer. I went into WS thinking I would love it because I prefer sci-fi over fantasy nine times out of ten and I thought the art style was really great but it stopped there. The missions were all so boring and redundant and presented like something out of 2004 and the combat was some weird uncomfortable love-child of TPS and traditional mmorpg with tons blinky shapes on the ground, if I was epileptic I would have surely fallen from my chair in a fit. I hope it does well though, im still waiting for the Repop.

Agreed. Every MMO is going to have those that either "like" or "dislike" something about it be it WS or ESO (or Repop when it comes out). Point is, it is not "hatred" simply because someone says thiey do not like a particular game. The second point is, find the game you like and play it. If you can't, sorry.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Maybe ESO being so bad has made people just do a wait and see on any of these new games. And as far as people in my gaming circle,no one wants to play this game at all. The only thing they see is the old style gear treadmill that most gamers are getting sick of. I said it before,the only place i know where people are excited for this game is here and the website. Outside of that no one talks about Wildstar.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I would rather play a good game like ESO with bugs than a average game like WS with no bugs.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Raquis
    I would rather play a good game like ESO with bugs than a average game like WS with no bugs.

I think most people would rather play good games over average games.  However, I'm willing to bet that a lot of people place different games in the "good" and "average" categories than you do.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie
    If it is a big game with a huge success then the wrath of the haters will come hard on this game aswell. Cause if it is a success then they always attack hard. The better the game, the bigger the hate.

This is basically how new MMO releases go in a nut shell. If people are hating on it, it's probably a successful release. I've said it before and I'll stand by it, hate is a good thing, when no one is talking about something is when it's trouble.

People are hating on WildStar. Just you can only recycle the WoW clone and cartoon graphics argument only so much before you run out of steam.

Reason why it's not being talked about by fans is because they're waiting for release. Every thing to talk about it has already been talked about.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    That depends, are they going to release it in a buggy mess? As I'll be picking it up when it's released and if it's broken just like TESO is. I'll be back here writing about it.

I have a feeling you'll be here writing about ANY bug you find and dismissing the game entirely.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Only so many AAA MMOs coming out over the next year and if you dont have a MMO home, sometimes any port in the storm will do. Im sure Wildstar team put themselves in line 2 months after ESO for a reason. Reminds me of how WoW has been doing things over the years. Lots of X-Blizzard employees working on Wildstar. (((shrugs)))
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    They're not using a big IP, so I doubt they'll have to meet unrealistic expectations as much as TESO. WildStar is just that, WildStar. TESO is "The Elders Scrolls" Online instead of "The Elder Scrolls" :Skyrim. Having a huge IP can be both a blessing and a curse, even if it seems to be more more the latter than the former.

imageimage
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Every single online game goes through this process. I've been watching it for many years. The bigger and "better" the game, the higher the hype, the more people it attracts and the consequently % of complainers is always bigger too. So the biggest games that have thousands if not millions of players, if complainers take just 1% of players, the number still can be relatively high and when they flood forums, an uneducated and unexperienced reader can easily think that it is the real picture. Couple this with the sheep sindrom and the fact that a lot of people enjoy being hateful if not already destructive, and you get public forums and game chats the way they are...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • tallfellatallfella Member UncommonPosts: 9
    No hatred for  Wildstar. I predict that this game will have 32 million subs by christmas and be the Wow killer we have all been waiting for. Yeeeehaaaah. ;D
  • LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by amber-r

This game is getting almost no attention, far less than ESO anyway.  It's now not far off release and still almost no interest at all.

A lot of the complaints aimed at ESO affect this game too, so do you think this game will fare better or worse?  One of the main reasons I initially wanted to play the game was the updated wow style characters, now that wow is updating all their models that seems less of a pull though.

So yes, will it get as much hatred or just go almost unnoticed?

A lot better, since Wildstar is Wildstar. While ESO has to back the reputation of a franchise dating back to the early 90's and Skyrim over shadowing it. WildStar will go unnoticed, just like Perpetuum Online that hit Steam in April and is starting to get more population by the day. :)

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

I don't think Wildstar will have the same duping/warp hack/logging on to someone elses bank and characters type stuff. Even back in december I wasn't finding that many bugs, certainly less than in the live version of ESO. 

Their release date is perfect as a lot of people will be bored with ESO, and still waiting a few more months for WoW expac. The loss of a lot of important people recently is a bit scary though. Perhaps is Archeage can get released this year, with a fair F2P system ala Rift, it'll really hurt wildstar.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

I keep forgetting about Wildstar.

Tried it, and thought it was ok just nothing amazing. I'm personally just not interested in WoW in space right now.

/Edit_For_Spelling

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

I don't think Wildstar can have the same backlash as ESO.

1. TES is a huge SINGLE player IP

2. ESO is Bug ridden to the point of halting progression

3. ESO has had MULTIPLE dupes

4. There is ONE way to level up to VR 10, and nothing to do afterwards besides Cyrodill

The above are some of the reasons ESO is getting so much backlash.  Its not Hate.  Most complaints I've read are grounded in reason and provide examples, anyone calling it Hate has not established the above for some of the reasons why there would be so much backlash.  I don't think I have read a review of ESO that didn't base their dislike or backlash of the game with out the 4 above points being used as a basis for their dislike for the game. 

There are very logical and grounded reasons why ESO is receiving the backlash it is getting.

• bigbudzbigbudz Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by AzurePrower
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie
    If it is a big game with a huge success then the wrath of the haters will come hard on this game aswell. Cause if it is a success then they always attack hard. The better the game, the bigger the hate.

This is basically how new MMO releases go in a nut shell. If people are hating on it, it's probably a successful release. I've said it before and I'll stand by it, hate is a good thing, when no one is talking about something is when it's trouble.

People are hating on WildStar. Just you can only recycle the WoW clone and cartoon graphics argument only so much before you run out of steam.

Reason why it's not being talked about by fans is because they're waiting for release. Every thing to talk about it has already been talked about.

I will agree that there isn't much to talk about, but not because players are waiting for release. There just isn't much going on in this game worth talking about good or bad except maybe the trailer that makes it seem 100X as cool as it really is. Beta download was a waste of bandwidth.

Btw I'm tired of dodging red circles and cones. I do enjoy dodging fireballs and other actual effects.

Current PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/p8RBD3

Present: Current offerings are low quality or soloable

Past:AoC, DCUO, FFXI,FFXIV 1.0 and ARR,WoW,Fallen Earth, Tabula Rasa, TSW, SWTOR, Rift, Aion, WAR, Darkfall, STO, CoH/CoV, GW2, Diaspora, EQ2, DDO, and a bunch of forgettable ftp games

Originally posted by Margrave

Tried it, and thought it was ok just nothing amazing. I'm personally just not interested in WoW in space right now.

/Edit_For_Spelling

Most people who say this when I ask, they didnt get to level 20+ or try a dungeon. This game is nothing like WoW other then the art having the same feeling. Game play, game system and just how everything works like specs on chars works nothing like WoW lol

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

/Edit_For_Spelling

Most people who say this when I ask, they didnt get to level 20+ or try a dungeon. This game is nothing like WoW other then the art having the same feeling. Game play, game system and just how everything works like specs on chars works nothing like WoW lol

People see similarity with WoW in three very prominent areas:

1. Visuals. No need to explain.

2. Quest hub, kill X/fedex questing. And no, explorer path is not "explorery" enough.

3. Tiered raiding endgame.

Now, I'm not going to sit here and say those things are bad. I happen to very much like WoW's and WS's aethetics, while I prefer objective based questing (like ESO, Witcher, Dragon Age, etc) quest hubs do not deter my enjoyment. Tiered raiding is also fine as endgame, but 40 person is too big. Been there, done that with 40 and many more people. Do not want to go back to it ever again. Yes, I'm aware that there are other raid sizes, but if best loot comes from 40 person raids. No ty.

To address other reasons the game isn't as appealing (at least for me):

Gameplay is circle strafe + dodge. I really thought I would enjoy a 100% active skill based system. But It's either pointless carpal tunnel style simplicity where nothing hits me at all because I just circle strafed (which stops being fun after a dozen or so hours of circling every mob you come across and also causes my fingers to get tired from holding the same keys constantly) - or it's kind of spastic because they start throwing so much at you, it doesn't feel like there's a happy medium. I'm either bored or spamming everything. This might be why I prefer the medium pace of ESO, I have time to plan, act and react. In WS I'm either winning or trying not to die.

You don't get to really build your own character (visuals). I know it's a small thing, and it might be easy for some people to overlook but part of RPG's for me is creating an avatar that falls into some idea I have in my head. Stalker wears claws. Warrior wields greatsword. Etc.

And the big one. If you enjoy linear quest hubs, tiered raiding, but aren't enamoured by WS's combat system, then there's no reason to play it over WoW. WoW is still a fantastic game for people who like themeparks (and if you like WS, then you like themeparks!).

So for me (and I'm sure many others) it's not that WS is bad. It's not, it's quite good. But there isn't enough draw to make it worth playing over WoW.

It's not going to get much hate, it's a new IP so no one can point to anything and say this or that doesn't exist or should be one way or another. It's also not going to get much hate from people who like WoW, because to hate WS while liking WoW (and vice versa) is basically pointing a finger at yourself and laughing. It is what it is, a decent game that will attract themeparkers, the people who like the combat will stay, those who don't will stick to WoW.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

Op

Every game that came out was attacked and it does not matter who made the said game..Wildstar will be no different.

I retired retroactively..Haha

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

/Edit_For_Spelling

I see your point but I disagree. No I didn't get the level cap in beta, but after playing several characters to 20+ and one to 30+, it really is more like WoW than any other game, even Rift really. It's not a bad thing, I don't know why copying WoW has such a negative connotation when it produces success such as SWToR and Rift. I use the term success loosely, but you get what I'm saying.

The only big different between WildStar and WoW is more telelgraphs and an attempt at a less spammy combat system, but even at 30+ I found myself using the same 2 attacks over and over again. It's not a bad thing again, simplicity gets you players which gets you money.

WildStar is a good game, it will do just fine despite what people may say about it.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Pre-ordered after playing beta. I agree that art style may be similar to WoW but otherwise there are huge differences. I would have to go with thread consensus on hate level: Wildstar will get its share, but otherwise I think they will do just fine. My 2 coppers etc.

/Edit_For_Spelling

I see your point but I disagree. No I didn't get the level cap in beta, but after playing several characters to 20+ and one to 30+, it really is more like WoW than any other game, even Rift really. It's not a bad thing, I don't know why copying WoW has such a negative connotation when it produces success such as SWToR and Rift. I use the term success loosely, but you get what I'm saying.

The only big different between WildStar and WoW is more telelgraphs and an attempt at a less spammy combat system, but even at 30+ I found myself using the same 2 attacks over and over again. It's not a bad thing again, simplicity gets you players which gets you money.

WildStar is a good game, it will do just fine despite what people may say about it.

Did you do a dungeon? 

Originally posted by Rusque

/Edit_For_Spelling

People see similarity with WoW in three very prominent areas:

1. Visuals. No need to explain.

2. Quest hub, kill X/fedex questing. And no, explorer path is not "explorery" enough.

3. Tiered raiding endgame.

Now, I'm not going to sit here and say those things are bad. I happen to very much like WoW's and WS's aethetics, while I prefer objective based questing (like ESO, Witcher, Dragon Age, etc) quest hubs do not deter my enjoyment. Tiered raiding is also fine as endgame, but 40 person is too big. Been there, done that with 40 and many more people. Do not want to go back to it ever again. Yes, I'm aware that there are other raid sizes, but if best loot comes from 40 person raids. No ty.

To address other reasons the game isn't as appealing (at least for me):

Gameplay is circle strafe + dodge. I really thought I would enjoy a 100% active skill based system. But It's either pointless carpal tunnel style simplicity where nothing hits me at all because I just circle strafed (which stops being fun after a dozen or so hours of circling every mob you come across and also causes my fingers to get tired from holding the same keys constantly) - or it's kind of spastic because they start throwing so much at you, it doesn't feel like there's a happy medium. I'm either bored or spamming everything. This might be why I prefer the medium pace of ESO, I have time to plan, act and react. In WS I'm either winning or trying not to die.

You don't get to really build your own character (visuals). I know it's a small thing, and it might be easy for some people to overlook but part of RPG's for me is creating an avatar that falls into some idea I have in my head. Stalker wears claws. Warrior wields greatsword. Etc.

And the big one. If you enjoy linear quest hubs, tiered raiding, but aren't enamoured by WS's combat system, then there's no reason to play it over WoW. WoW is still a fantastic game for people who like themeparks (and if you like WS, then you like themeparks!).

So for me (and I'm sure many others) it's not that WS is bad. It's not, it's quite good. But there isn't enough draw to make it worth playing over WoW.

It's not going to get much hate, it's a new IP so no one can point to anything and say this or that doesn't exist or should be one way or another. It's also not going to get much hate from people who like WoW, because to hate WS while liking WoW (and vice versa) is basically pointing a finger at yourself and laughing. It is what it is, a decent game that will attract themeparkers, the people who like the combat will stay, those who don't will stick to WoW.

I get where you are coming from. My only point is I am sick of people saying WoW clone when in this market its lost all meaning. WoW was a clone of what came before it. If you look at the surface of a game and say WoW because it feels a little familiar, then maybe you need to look at what you are playing. Its like from now till the end of time when I play a FPS I yell DOOM clone. Its WoW because of Art, its WoW because of tiers, its WoW because it has questing hubs. WS does not even do quest hubs because most quests are found and truned in while playing in the field of mobs. WoW clone needs to be chucked out unless the game is like 90% like WoW as all MMOs from sandbox to theme park are going to have some of the roots that made WoW work.  

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    If the Wildstar release is a train wreck like the ESO one was, I expect it will get just as much hate thrown at it.  If it's a smooth release, it will probably get less hate.