Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think Wildstar will gather the hatred that ESO has?

Comments

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

Im going to say it probably wont gather hatred like ESO

wildstar is what it is and carbine has been upfront about who their target audience is. whats going to make or break wildstar is the endgame....they know it, and we know it....so there isn't really much to discuss overall.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194

Dunno if it will get hate, but when the perfume of novelty wears off and the thin layer of PR-makeup is washed away people will smell and see the bland and rotten corpse of the long dead and still beaten horse.

If they will hate or just go away to never turn back has to be seen.

• VendakuVendaku Member Posts: 77
    There will always be a large group of haters with any new game. :)
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

I just didn't find WS all that interesting.  The telegraph system is overused and it's better implemented in ESO.  I didn't find the combat exciting at all despite some people describing it as "awesome" and "kinetic".

It probably doesn't help that I have no interest in a game with WStar's comic strip art style either.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by adkenner

ESO's combat is the worst I have ever played. It is not fun in anyway. I bought ESO...played it for less than 5 total hours and was immediately disappointed and wanted a refund. I tried to get one and couldn't, and I haven't logged into ESO since. It just not fun. 

Wildstar on the other hand has been much more fun...and its still in beta. I have actually cut myself off from the beta so I can still save some things for launch. 

For me it's the other way around. I could not stand the combat in WS, very boring and predictable. Not that the combat is ESO is unpredictable, not at all, but it is more entertaining for me. 

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    It seems to me the more hate a game gets and the longer people try to bash it the better the game is.  Its some sort of sick reverse psychology.  I think after all the years of failed game after another people don't know what a successful game looks like anymore so they find every little reason and review that spells failure to save themselves from disappointment.  ESO is the first mmorpg in a long time that i can recall seeing active in-game GM's taking care of business.  I wasnt impressed with Wildstar from the short weekend I got to try it,  but thats just personal opinion I think alot of people arent talking about Wildstar because they were really stingy with beta invites and no one wants to pay to find out if it sucks or not in a market filled with fail.
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    It's going to be yet another game that makes it's players want to pay WoW instead. I don't know why everyone is copying GW2 with only having 8 abilities and while only spamming 3 of them but it gets boring insanely fast.
  • KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

Playing Wildstar in BETA I remember that time just flew by. I would completely lose track of time while playing this game, that hasn t happened in a looooong time.

I'm playing ESO now and I actually have to make an effort to play through it in hope that the game will get better later on and I'm level 47. It has huge potential but right now, ESO is a boring game. It forces you to quest 300+ hours with little to no challenge in it. I believe it will get better and better and I'll probably play it for a long time if they keep showing progress but RIGHT NOW, ESO is a boring and frustrating game.

Wildstar is not a boring game at all. It's complete, fluid, has a huge depth, feels like a MMO and above everything else it's a FUN GAME.

It's all about having fun with a game and developers seem to have missed that mark over and over again. They excel at creating worlds but forget how to make it fun, how to keep people entertained. It's not about story or graphics (they just need to be believable enough), it's about gameplay and being FUN to play. Being a MMO, it should be FUN to play with OTHERS. Lots of them.

MMO players should be glad there's a game like Wildstar just around the corner, the genre needs this.

Maybe it has too much colour, maybe its too cartoony, maybe its too confusing with all the telegraphs ( you can customize them to barely notice them, I hate those aswell), maybe it lacks the epicness of having orcs against elves and humans in a big fantasy soup. Despite all that, nobody can deny that Wildstar at its core gameplay and feature-wise, it's the most complete MMO to launch in a very long time.

This is not being fanboy because I FAN NOTHING IN THIS WORLD! its being realistic, looking at the game impartially and seeing what it has and doesn't have.

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Isnt NCsoft the company that killed City of Heros just to drive trafic to a new game...
    Originally posted by Coman
    Originally posted by adkenner

ESO's combat is the worst I have ever played. It is not fun in anyway. I bought ESO...played it for less than 5 total hours and was immediately disappointed and wanted a refund. I tried to get one and couldn't, and I haven't logged into ESO since. It just not fun. 

Wildstar on the other hand has been much more fun...and its still in beta. I have actually cut myself off from the beta so I can still save some things for launch. 

For me it's the other way around. I could not stand the combat in WS, very boring and predictable. Not that the combat is ESO is unpredictable, not at all, but it is more entertaining for me. 

Exactly my thoughts.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Originally posted by Quesa

Originally posted by adkenner ESO's combat is the worst I have ever played. It is not fun in anyway. I bought ESO...played it for less than 5 total hours and was immediately disappointed and wanted a refund. I tried to get one and couldn't, and I haven't logged into ESO since. It just not fun.  Wildstar on the other hand has been much more fun...and its still in beta. I have actually cut myself off from the beta so I can still save some things for launch. 
    Exactly my thoughts.

I think it boils down to play style.
    Some like the ESO combat, others hate it. All in what your style is.
    For Me, I played it all through beta to launch but just couldn't force myself to like it.

Wildstar is more what I was used to minus the no tab targeting. It takes some getting used to. I've noticed players who can adapt to the Run and Gun play style enjoy Wildstar, those who like the stand and attack don't.

Both games will have their player base.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

IMHO IP that allready exist allways have a bigger group of ppl hating the game, because they love the other games from same ip and then get mad with the new one.

ESO sufering with this, theres alot of ppl that love elder scrolls single player games and then didnt like ESO, so they scream their hate on forums. Same hapened with SWTOR, especially the SWG fans, even in last Diablo hapened the same think.

Wildstart is not connect with a existence ip, there allways be ppl talk bad about the game but never with a dimension of old IPs like ESO and SWTOR.

I dont play any games that i mentioned, just my personal opinion about OP question.

Originally posted by Krimzin

Originally posted by Quesa

Originally posted by adkenner ESO's combat is the worst I have ever played. It is not fun in anyway. I bought ESO...played it for less than 5 total hours and was immediately disappointed and wanted a refund. I tried to get one and couldn't, and I haven't logged into ESO since. It just not fun.  Wildstar on the other hand has been much more fun...and its still in beta. I have actually cut myself off from the beta so I can still save some things for launch. 
    Exactly my thoughts.

I think it boils down to play style.
    Some like the ESO combat, others hate it. All in what your style is.
    For Me, I played it all through beta to launch but just couldn't force myself to like it.

Wildstar is more what I was used to minus the no tab targeting. It takes some getting used to. I've noticed players who can adapt to the Run and Gun play style enjoy Wildstar, those who like the stand and attack don't.

Both games will have their player base.

Both games have similar combat systems except ESO it matters what is in the direct path of your projectile/swing.  They both have telegraph systems but for me, WS over uses them.  It's just unimpressive.

Originally posted by Jabas

IMHO IP that allready exist allways have a bigger group of ppl hating the game, because they love the other games from same ip and then get mad with the new one.

ESO sufering with this, theres alot of ppl that love elder scrolls single player games and then didnt like ESO, so they scream their hate on forums. Same hapened with SWTOR, especially the SWG fans, even in last Diablo hapened the same think.

Wildstart is not connect with a existence ip, there allways be ppl talk bad about the game but never with a dimension of old IPs like ESO and SWTOR.

I dont play any games that i mentioned, just my personal opinion about OP question.

SWTOR suffered because it really failed to deliver in many respects.  It is true that those fanatical followers of whatever IP or Lore there is for a game will have the most visceral reactions for or against how such a game was implemented but there were many flaws with SWTOR that everything was very muddled together.

ESO story was, for me at least, intriguing.  The Berlin Wall for me was when you hit VR1 the game essentially ends, in respect to the story except your still cut off from the top tier content like competitive PvP and adventure zones (not 100% on the adventure zone thing) along with a horrendous grind for 10 more levels which aren't called levels which is just a massive deception.

Veteran Ranks is, what I believe, going to be the major Achilles Heel of this game in the next month or two.  There just isn't any reason for what they have done with the last 10 levels of character progression.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Funny thing about Wildstar is no one talks about it outside of the boards or utube. Where ESO was talked about everywhere. I can still find people that never heard of it. But everyone seemed to know about ESO.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

No prior IP to stir up the "I hate it because it killed (the so long dead most people didn't even know it was still running) SWG!" or the "I hate it because it isn't Skyrim Online!" crowd. Bug-wise it was in better shape months ago than ESO was at launch, so I doubt there'll be much more than the usual launch drama. There'll be plenty of "WoW 2.0, so it sux!" and "It's a cartoon, so obviously, like Archer, it's only for kids!!!11!!!" BS, but meh.

Until and unless it starts to do really well in the long run I doubt it'll get much more than the usual amount of hate around here.

Oh, and frankly I think ESO has been treated kindly -- far more kindly than it deserves -- up to now. I suspect that come the AoE nerf and other, nigh unto inevitable, changes I suspect the heat is going to hit 11 soon enough.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by amber-r

This game is getting almost no attention, far less than ESO anyway.  It's now not far off release and still almost no interest at all.

A lot of the complaints aimed at ESO affect this game too, so do you think this game will fare better or worse?  One of the main reasons I initially wanted to play the game was the updated wow style characters, now that wow is updating all their models that seems less of a pull though.

So yes, will it get as much hatred or just go almost unnoticed?

I will answer your question with another question..

Will Wildstar release as a buggy mess like ESO?

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

This game is getting almost no attention, far less than ESO anyway.  It's now not far off release and still almost no interest at all.

A lot of the complaints aimed at ESO affect this game too, so do you think this game will fare better or worse?  One of the main reasons I initially wanted to play the game was the updated wow style characters, now that wow is updating all their models that seems less of a pull though.

It's not a major IP like Elder Scrolls Online is. It's not a completely unnoticed title, as you can see articles on most major game sites regarding it. For one, I'm happy it's not subject to major fanfare, which stems the tide of disappointment that follows so many games. 

A lot of the anger towards ESO isn't so much about the subscription, but the business tactics and their treatment of the IP. I've no problem with this game requiring a subscription, it has the content and style to pull it off. Where it lacks in fanfare and discussion, it makes up for in polish and content. This is something I understand ESO is struggling with.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I don't know, maybe it's just my friend group but the game is pretty popular in that group I guess? I have like 5 or 6 friends who plan on stopping their MMORPG that they are playing to play WS and they have all tried the beta. I don't think it will gather much hatred, it already has some because of the cartoon / stylized graphics and the similarities to wow, but the people who want to play it already know about those things.
  • masterdtoxmasterdtox Member Posts: 66

i am sure WS will have much less bugs then ESO at release, and is a far far more complete MMO at launch then ESO will ever been within the first Year. OFC it will have server issues and some minor bugs here and there, because it is after all a MMO. But it will be not near as a disaster as ESO was at launch with all those buggs and still missing basic MMO features like NAMEPLATE'S....

PS: ofc the devs are fixing bugs, that's there job and that's good ofc. But if u compare it to a launch of WS that still need's to be released i am very confident in the capacity of the WS team that it will be all right.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Yes it will gather the hatred. Mmo players can not help themselves. If they dont like it they will make sure to get others to not like it as well.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I'm not going to buy Wildstar and i don't like alot of things about it, but Wildstar easily is a ten times more complete and allaround better game than ESO in almost every aspect of an mmorpg. I guess no mmo'er can dispute that.

Love or hate the graphics, themepark, humor or not -this game will not remotely have the horrible issues ESO launched with and it shows that it is not made by a bunch of MMO amateurs. As every game it will get it's fair share of hate, but not for the reasons ESO did.

Despite being veterans in the genre, Carbine should know better than pushing hardcore PvP, AMP grind and 40 man raids onto today's market and it already shows in the game doesn't spark alot of interest altogether.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I have already commented in other threads here on mmorpg in regards to ESO and WS but will again here.

I played extensively in both the ESO and WS betas (WS up until recently). And, I must admit, that I was hoping ESO would be the better game/mmo. Never really could get into WS but ESO was more along the lines, or so I thought, of what the Elder Scrolls universe would be about. Unfortunately, I found ESO as lacking as I found WS mundane. I say that not because either game is mechanically a poor GAME. I say it because neither game lives up to the hype. I my humble opinion, we have all been there and seen it before. Nothing new here. I do not "hate" either game. I do in fact  think that for those new to MMO's that they may find some things great and good. But, for those of us that have played so many cookie cutter mmo's neither game is going to satisfy for long if at all.

Just my humble opinion.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

I will answer your question with another question..

Will Wildstar release as a buggy mess like ESO?

Amazing how players expect a new game to have cutting edge gameplay and graphics, and yet still launch with absolutely no bugs!   And not just a game but a multiplayer game which adds even more layers of complexity,

Wasn't Windows Vista a buggy mess at launch?  In fact haven't most Windows versions been so?  And they probably had far more people working on them as well!

It ain't easy folks, and its easy to sit in the armchair and criticize.   The fact that many enjoy the game despite this, means they have done a reasonably good job IMO.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Sadly every new MMO sees this strange wave of haters..ESO has them and when WS comes out they will move to it then when the next mmo comes out it will go to that one. It has been like this since the dawn of mmos but has gotten worse of over the past 12 years or so.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!