Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very solid game.Trying to understand the negativity compared to a game like Final Fantasy

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by umcorian
    Originally posted by keithian

On metacritic, forum goers here and elsewhere, this game is getting a love it or hate it reception. Very little in between. I love the game and will continue playing it for at least a few months, maybe more depending on the future content releases and bug fixes. I'm having trouble understanding why a game like Final Fantasy which has much smaller zones even splitting cities into pieces, a less active old school combat system, no voiceovers with walls of text, less options with regard to the PVP/PVE experience this game offers, more grindy quests than this game has, much more grinding of Fates compared to Anchors just to get XP, an even more static world, worse crafting, lack of a Mod community like ESO has, etc etc etc got such high scores when in my mind ESO offers so much more. I mean I thought Final Fantasy was a solid game for an MMO, but I stopped playing because I have just done enough of the explanation point hub stuff with very little pure exploration which ESO does much better.

WHY I ASK YOU!!!! lol If ESO re-releases a 2nd time showing an improvement, do they all of a sudden get 10 scores just for showing improvement? lol The world of ratings makes no sense to me and every game seems to be held to a completely different standard. It's exactly why I think all reviews are worthless except my own opinion of the game when I play it.

Simply put: when you take the Final Fantasy IP and make a Final Fantasy MMO, you're expected to deliver a Final Fantasy experience. Final Fantasy XI did it spot-on (for its time), and Final Fantasy XIV ARR managed to do the same. 

When you take the Elder Scrolls IP and make an Elder Scrolls MMO, you're expected to deliver an Elder Scrolls experience. Yes, as unfair as that might sound, you're expected to keep all the things we love about Morrowwind/Oblivion/Skyrim and somehow make it a Massive Multiplayer Online Experience.

Zenimax made an MMO, but did not make an Elder Scrolls game. A good number of people won't buy the game for that reason (like me), and many more are going to hate the game for that reason... doesn't matter what they may have done right. IMHO, they've failed at the most fundamental level and, while it might be an unreasonable, it is the standard we're holding for this game. 

In short, lots of us wanted Skyrim 2 w/Multiplayer, not World of Scrollcraft... and we got too close to one and too far from the other. 

Though I think you reference to World of Scrollcraft aka World of Warcraft is completely off base, I agree with what you wrote. It is true, Final Fantasy did do a good job creating that world within the scope of what one would expect.

I do think this game alienated a percentage of the crowd who wanted exactly what you stated. I guess I loved Skyrim for what it was but knew ages ago not to expect that in an MMO because I realized immediately that was just not possible yet. Instead, I was just looking for an MMO that offered more of an exploration focus since every MMO in the last few years has completely failed. Example, I don't consider searching for Datacrons when you are still jumping from Hub to Hub exploration. I think all things considered, this game is the best out there for a themepark exploration based MMO. Could it have been better? Absolutely. Do I think it will improve, sure. Fortunately I believe there will be enough like me where the game will retain a healthy player base regardless of whatever the total sub numbers will be.

Perhaps, but i think most will be dissatisfied with the almost total lack of 'Elder Scrolls' feeling to the game, from the magic system that is about as far from Elder Scrolls as you can get, to the combat itself, its not Elder Scrolls, there is no Thieves Guild, no Assassins guild, perhaps this is because the devs have no experience of Elder Scrolls games, this is their first time making a game in the Elder Scrolls genre after all.

Its good that the PvP section of the game is doing relatively well, but without a solid foundation on the PvE side, that supports players actually being able to play with friends, which i think is what most Elder Scrolls fans were really hoping for, then its going to be a major factor in player dissatisfaction.

And then there is the false advertising, ESO has some great cinematic trailers, but, they have absolutely no relation to what actually happens in game, zero, nada, nothing, its false advertising.

Final Fantasy XIV;ARR is a solid game, its fun to play, but it does one thing that players total expect to get from a 'Final Fantasy' game, and that is the whole Final Fantasy experience, and thats the biggest difference between ESO and FFXIV;ARR, ESO does not provide anything close to even part of the whole Elder Scrolls experience, and thats something that many will not forgive.image

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I think they're all shit personally, the only reason FF got so much praise is they turned it from the worst, to slightly less worse.

TESO just isn't The Elder Scrolls, it is an MMO with an Elder Scrolls skin, that is my problem with it. I wanted them to bring The Elder Scrolls to the MMO, have this giant sandbox world, sadly it is just a linear themepark MMO with boring quests and no world PVP, you will never even see the enemy faction in the world........

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by Jeardawg

Where it falls flat on its face is its immersion. The game just lacks that immersive feel people expect from an TES game, due to it being an MMo. That feeling of exploration is just gone with dozens of people being around you. The 'boss farming' only destroys the feeling of epicness you SHOULD be feeling in a game that is suppose to be about adventure. Its attempting to be a Singleplayer game in an MMo and that greatly hurts its immersion. Combined with the number of bugs, it makes the experience of the game worst off. It doesnt allow it to hide its flaws at all when your constantly reminded 'oh this is a cheap TES game with swarms of people'. Voice acting telling you how dire the situation is with the city being attacked doesn't create a tense atmosphere when that attack is pathetic at best and doesn't have any atmosphere at all to back it up.

This might be the most astute point made about ESO to date.

I don't get how "It's attempting to be a Singleplayer (sic) game in an MMo." Where is it trying to be a single player game?  Your immersion problem with the boss farming in delves would be easily solved if they were all instanced. That, to me, is trying to put singleplayer into an MMO. What zenimax did is try to put multiplayer in their MMO by making these delves public and adding a public dungeon in each zone. We may disagree on the benefits of instanced vs not instanced but I just don't understand where you're coming from when you claim that having these things open to all is a move toward singleplayer. Immersion breaking? As far as the story of you vs the boss goes, yes, but not forcing in singleplayer.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

to original op..

Some players just expected more, especially coming from a title named after elder scrolls.

You cannot please everyone, because everyone expected teso to be special to them, especially the diehard fans.

Now if this game was called something different, I believe players would be less forgiving.

• NoxeronNoxeron Member UncommonPosts: 64

Just going to say I love FF14:ARR.

But IMHO:

I would probably like ESO as much or maybe even more, if  I could PLAY FOR LONGER THAN 10 MINUTES WITHOUT HAVING TO RESTART THE FUCKING GAME.

It's so broken it's fucking insane! 

After release and they still have all these game breaking bugs! Every patch they fix tens of quests spread out that hinders progression.

When entering loading screens it's a 75% chance that you get logged out!

I have no clue how that works, on my screen it just continues to load, but on my brothers screen it says that I have logged out!

If I jump on the wrong spot I FLY OUT INTO NOTHINGNESS!

FF14:ARR was beautiful and didn't have even close to this much SHIT in it!

I will give ESO a try again in a month or so. Because these problems seem fixable. Why they haven't fixed them when the game was still in beta I do not know.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971

FF was unplayable when it was released, ESO has some bugs. There is no comparison but I have seen other threads try to make one.

Back in the day you expected MMOs to release with bugs, now if there is even one bug its "wtf" in the forums and the like. Polish at launch has replaced long term content in MMO design as a priority. That's because solo players who now make up the majority of MMO players, expect a MMO to launch like a solo game.

The funny thing is solo games are now starting to launch with more issues every year. Some of which never get resolved, looking at you EA. In a MMO the bugs will get fixed unless they have put the game on life support as happened to the likes of Vanguard.

I have seen only a handful of bugs and I have played since launch, but then I am only level 19, not chasing end game, such players will have seen more bugs for sure. They are also now be starting to get used to end game PvP. No doubt next week that will get boring for them, and the week after that those content locusts will leave and descend on another game to rave then bitch about.

To be frank, I won't be sad to see them go.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

FFXIV is garbage, compared to any other mmo it's rubbish.

However, it's pretty anime garbage and that makes a big difference.   FFXIV also got very little attention and didn't get that many players outside of its fanbase, there is almost no mention of it anywhere on youtube for instance.  Ultimately it got a pat on the head for spending vast amounts of money and trying again, not for being great.  Just for not being as bad as the first attempt, it also helps that the fanboys for ffxiv are a lot more pro-active.

Is FFXIV better than ESO?  No, they are bother pretty mediocre and I expect them both to be f2p around the 1 year from launch mark. 

On a similar note about a different game.  Guild wars 2 was touted by everyone as the most amazing mmo ever made, the scores were the best an mmo has ever achieved, the fanboys were amazed and fought anyone that said anything bad about their game.   6-7 months later, who cares about GW2 anymore?

Scores are meaningless, fanboys are fickle.  If you like the game, enjoy it because it's not going anywhere.

Also this topic will show why there is a lot of hate for ESO, FFXIV fanboys being protective of their failing title.  You don't see WoW players doing these things because they have nothing to fear, even the lead dev of FFXIV has been bracing his players for the coming of f2p.   The gameis bleeding players and they are protective.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Your post is written as though it were some established and verifiable fact that ESO is better than FFXIV. But if I were to say FFXIV is the better game, then that destroys the foundations of your comparison. Your post is filtered through preconceived notions therefore flawed.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by amber-r

However, it's pretty anime garbage and that makes a big difference.   FFXIV also got very little attention and didn't get that many players outside of its fanbase, there is almost no mention of it anywhere on youtube for instance.  Ultimately it got a pat on the head for spending vast amounts of money and trying again, not for being great.  Just for not being as bad as the first attempt, it also helps that the fanboys for ffxiv are a lot more pro-active.

Where you loved as a child? ARR is a beautiful story of a developer actually owning up to their failures AND coming back stronger than ever. ARR may actually be the turning point for Square Enix.

Is FFXIV better than ESO?  No, they are bother pretty mediocre and I expect them both to be f2p around the 1 year from launch mark. 

On a similar note about a different game.  Guild wars 2 was touted by everyone as the most amazing mmo ever made, the scores were the best an mmo has ever achieved, the fanboys were amazed and fought anyone that said anything bad about their game.   6-7 months later, who cares about GW2 anymore?

HAHAHAHAHAHA. 

Scores are meaningless, fanboys are fickle.  If you like the game, enjoy it because it's not going anywhere.

Also this topic will show why there is a lot of hate for ESO, FFXIV fanboys being protective of their failing title.  You don't see WoW players doing these things because they have nothing to fear, even the lead dev of FFXIV has been bracing his players for the coming of f2p.   The gameis bleeding players and they are protective.

People such as yourself need to stop relishing in negativity...so much pessimism and thinly veiled glee at the thought of negativity can't be good for you and anyone in your immediate MMO social circle.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by tixylix

I think they're all shit personally, the only reason FF got so much praise is they turned it from the worst, to slightly less worse.

TESO just isn't The Elder Scrolls, it is an MMO with an Elder Scrolls skin, that is my problem with it. I wanted them to bring The Elder Scrolls to the MMO, have this giant sandbox world, sadly it is just a linear themepark MMO with boring quests and no world PVP, you will never even see the enemy faction in the world........

This.  I think expectations are just different for the two games.  For whatever reasons FF fans are not bothered by small zones, lots of load times and doing chores for NPCs.  I assume that ES fans would have liked a more virtual open world with some sandbox features.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

it gets a lot of the hate because the title and IP is popular. more hate because is a themepark, and even more because it's often compared to single player games and not other mmo's.

when compared to other mmo's and taking the emotion out of it, its a quality game IMO. yes it has bugs and issues with the bots at the moment but ive seen these same exact issues in every single mmo i have ever enjoyed.

that's not an excuse for it, that's reality. people are free to whine and complain about said issues all day if they choose but in reality, if this game is so horrible because of those issues then so is every single mmo on the market, at least at launch.

other than that, i don't see how anyone can say this is a bad mmo when compared to other mmo's.

but hey, its an opinion and everyone has one i guess.

• SonOfMaxSonOfMax Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by baphamet

it gets a lot of the hate because the title and IP is popular. more hate because is a themepark, and even more because it's often compared to single player games and not other mmo's.

when compared to other mmo's and taking the emotion out of it, its a quality game IMO. yes it has bugs and issues with the bots at the moment but ive seen these same exact issues in every single mmo i have ever enjoyed.

that's not an excuse for it, that's reality. people are free to whine and complain about said issues all day if they choose but in reality, if this game is so horrible because of those issues then so is every single mmo on the market, at least at launch.

other than that, i don't see how anyone can say this is a bad mmo when compared to other mmo's.

but hey, its an opinion and everyone has one i guess.

You nailed it. Also all the bugs and exploits don't help, but at least ZM is doing something about it. The game is going to get a LOT better in the next few months, and it's not at all bad atm.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by dbgager
    I played FF XIV . I stopped playing before my initial month was over.. It was OK..BUt I am having more fun with ESO. 

I was the opposite. I tried the Beta of ESO and didn't enjoy it at all. I tried a second weekend prior to release and I still couldn't get into it. I was in the beta of ffxiv:arr and enjoyed it immensely from the get go.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Reality would like a word however, FFXIV;ARR is far, very very far from failing, its actually growing, and with the release of the game now on PS4, its liable to grow even more. The game doesn't need defending, it just is. Something that ESO isn't and that is, its true to its own IP.

ESO will eventually be fixed, of that i have no doubt, how well it does after that, is frankly anybodies guess, personally i don't think it will do all that well because outside of the PvP, it has very little to recommend it, and thats an issue that ZOS will have to address very quickly, as the game may just end up as just another failed game that 'had' promise but was never realised.

This is entirely predictable, they promoted the game under a certain IP, a well liked IP at that, and then they totally ignored what that IP actually represented, and went off on a DAoC crusade using a server technology that didnt really work that well with it.

DAoC was a classic of its time, but the factors that made it so popular, just can't be achieved with ESO, because there is such a disconnect between PvE and PvP, this is in large part, imo at least, because of the Mega Server, they would have been better off having seperate servers that had direct links between the PvE portion and the PvP realms, that way the people you played alongside in the PvE would be the same ones you played alongside in PvP, Guilds would have had more impact, beyond an inconvenient trading method, player recognition in PvP would carry over into PvE, and vice versa, you can't tell me that PvP players don't long for recognition for their efforts, because im pretty sure that they do, i know they certainly did in DAoC, that also had a hell of a lot to do with the whole Realm Pride thing DAoC fostered, thats also why i don't see it ever happening in ESO. image

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

lol.  I'm sorry but the facts seem to state otherwise.

2+  million copies sold of FFXIV.  So much of a success that it took SE from financial losses to financial profits.  As of last month, YoshiP (the director) said that FFXIV has 500k unique logins a day, and if you consider unique logins every 2 days, it's considerably more than that.

So a game, like FFXIV who has anywhere from 500-800k subscribers 8 months after release is a huge financial success.  BTW, FFXIV is about to release in China.   Some FFXIV servers are STILL closed to new players because they're overflowing with players.

FFXIV, just like FFXI will never go free to play.  Given how immensely successful FFXIV has been the last 8 months, it has established the P2P model with gigantic content patches every 3 months.  This game is stying P2P for years and years.

Let's see if ESO can have HALF the success of FFXIV in the same period of time.  But i'm sorry, I shouldnt' let facts get in the way of your opinion.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SonOfMaxSonOfMax Member Posts: 9
    Oh, as a side note Realm Reborn was actually pretty darn good.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by ZizouX

I havn't played ESO to make a comparison but I have been playing FFXIV for 8 months.

Yet you certainly try. 

You don't need to bring another game down just to prop up your own game.   IT appears that  a majority of PLAYERS, as opposed to critics, disagree with you.  The average player rating for FFXIV is much higher than your player rating for ESO.  Using critics is a strawman argument when it is clear that majority of players seem to agree with the critics.

As for FFXIV, when it was released, it was POLISHED with very few bugs. Yea... no. FFXIV release was horrible. FFXIV: ARR =/= FFXIV release.  I keep reading about the bugs in ESO.  I keep reading about the phasing of quests where you can't even group up with friends unless you're on the EXACT same part of the quest.  I keep hearing that the quests arn't particularly well written or feel anticlimactic.  Lastly, it seems that ESO has an identity crisis going on.  It's a mediocre mmo and a mediocre Elder Scrolls game.   It tries to be both at the same time and fails miserably at it.

When FFXIV re-released, it offered 16 dungeons, an 8 man raid, and three primal fights with story mode and hard version.  It offers traditional quests and open world real time quests (FATES).  It offers a very "final fantasy" experience.  It knows what it is and waht it offers.  It doesn't have an identity crisis.

There is 0% chance that FFXIV will go free to play in the next few years based on its huge financial success.  Let's see if ESO can say the same.

Never say never.  

TLDR:  No need to show ESO love by trying to tear down another game (FFXIV).  Let's see if ESO can be half as successful as FFXIV before you start making baseless comparisons.

When did 8-mans become a raid.....? Ughhh... MMO's how you have fallen. 

Underlined red text is what I added... obviously. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145

Hm, I can see TESO appealing more to casual gamers that also like lore and have no problem doing things at their own pace. I mean, when I look at all the lore and books I can read, wall-o-text-quests, pretty locations etc, if you could also find someone to quest with without the pressure of levelling fast (like me, my guildies and doubtless plenty of other people) I could see this being a pretty nice game, lasting quite a while to get max VR rank. 

As for me (i don't really care about content in MMO under max level), weeelll, VR ranks are sucky to get, quests give wierd XP compared to time consumed, VR points for mobs in VR content is pretty lulzy compared to requirement for level, VR dungeon levels are "wth are you doing Zeni?!", Cyrodil is kinda funky + you should at least see the name of the guild you're fighting against + could use some more PVP options not just RvR. Also, combat is not really fluid (weapon switching sucks, skills don't work, I can spam dodge and nothing happens...stuff like that). Not to mention a plethora of other bugs (infinite loading screens, random crashes, noncompletable quests), nearly F2P size inventories compared to the amount of stuff you can acquire, sucky jumping... So yeah...guys like me find the game less than stellar  :) .

I'm also not saying it's the biggest turd ever, but some pre-launch polish would have benefited the game quite a lot. It also depends where they gonna take it from here on. 

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Vunak23

I havn't played ESO to make a comparison but I have been playing FFXIV for 8 months.

Yet you certainly try. 

You don't need to bring another game down just to prop up your own game.   IT appears that  a majority of PLAYERS, as opposed to critics, disagree with you.  The average player rating for FFXIV is much higher than your player rating for ESO.  Using critics is a strawman argument when it is clear that majority of players seem to agree with the critics.

As for FFXIV, when it was released, it was POLISHED with very few bugs. Yea... no. FFXIV release was horrible. FFXIV: ARR =/= FFXIV release.  I keep reading about the bugs in ESO.  I keep reading about the phasing of quests where you can't even group up with friends unless you're on the EXACT same part of the quest.  I keep hearing that the quests arn't particularly well written or feel anticlimactic.  Lastly, it seems that ESO has an identity crisis going on.  It's a mediocre mmo and a mediocre Elder Scrolls game.   It tries to be both at the same time and fails miserably at it.

When FFXIV re-released, it offered 16 dungeons, an 8 man raid, and three primal fights with story mode and hard version.  It offers traditional quests and open world real time quests (FATES).  It offers a very "final fantasy" experience.  It knows what it is and waht it offers.  It doesn't have an identity crisis.

There is 0% chance that FFXIV will go free to play in the next few years based on its huge financial success.  Let's see if ESO can say the same.

Never say never.  

TLDR:  No need to show ESO love by trying to tear down another game (FFXIV).  Let's see if ESO can be half as successful as FFXIV before you start making baseless comparisons.

When did 8-mans become a raid.....? Ughhh... MMO's how you have fallen. 

Underlined red text is what I added... obviously. 

Don't underestimate FFXIV's raiding Twintania is one of the most perfectly tuned fights I've ever played. 

Turn 5 wasn't that great.... Absolute Virtue back in FFXI, now that was a fight. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    I guess you missed the part the OP is comparing ESO to FFXIV ARR. He wasn't comparing it to ffxiv original release.
    I guess you missed the part the OP is comparing ESO to FFXIV ARR. He wasn't comparing it to ffxiv original release.

Yeah the OP said Final Fantasy. It also wouldn't make sense to compare it to FFXIV 1.0 yet that doesn't excuse the fact that it had to go back into development to reach the polish it has now. Thats why he questioned if ESO would get a better score if it went into redevelopment as well and came out better. You also didn't say ARR release. You said FFXIV release which are two completely different things.