Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did this game try too much?

Yes this is very late, and times have moved on, but I tried this again after several abortive attempts. 

Now don't get me wrong, I think this game was probably about as innovative as my left toe.  But it sold itself on innovation, so I wish innovation was worth comment, but there is none.  Immediately I am slightly confused by the media response, including this site, it is a bog standard mmo without anything to differentiate it from any other, so why the applause?  It is is odd, who writes these articles and have they ever played the game? This game got a higher rating than GW1 despite being half the game.  

The intention was to do a Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.  It all went wrong when everything was bad.  Many will disagree, but this is just the worst example of by-numbers corporate led tedium.    

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I dont think it was bad, just average and overhyped. SW:TOR kept me interested for longer and that is saying a lot...
  • AuntieSpeaksAlotAuntieSpeaksAlot Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I dont think it was bad, just average and overhyped. SW:TOR kept me interested for longer and that is saying a lot...

Yes, you are correct.  It was average, but wouldn't you rather evoke some response rather than none at all? 

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

I've been playing it again lately and am quite enjoying it.  I only played it for a bit at launch and ditched it pretty quickly.

I just try not to think about the level scaling and illusion of vertical progression.  When I think about these things I feel empty inside.  Going to try to get a toon to 80 and see how the game develops. 

Hope I make it.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by AuntieSpeaksAlot

Yes this is very late, and times have moved on, but I tried this again after several abortive attempts. 

Now don't get me wrong, I think this game was probably about as innovative as my left toe.  But it sold itself on innovation, so I wish innovation was worth comment, but there is none.  Immediately I am slightly confused by the media response, including this site, it is a bog standard mmo without anything to differentiate it from any other, so why the applause?  It is is odd, who writes these articles and have they ever played the game? This game got a higher rating than GW1 despite being half the game.  

The intention was to do a Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.  It all went wrong when everything was bad.  Many will disagree, but this is just the worst example of by-numbers corporate led tedium.    

Well try to much can't be wrong but promise to much is always wrong. And lets not get confused just because you didn't like the game doesn't mean it's bad, it just means that you didn't like it. I thought Titanic was a shitty movie and I am sure they made more then a buck on that movie and a few Oscars.

Well for the innovation part sure it's not a huge innovation that only has things that no one has tryied before but they atleast went outside of the box insteed of making another wow clone like Swtor. Now sure I loved GW1 more then GW2 but then again that doesn't mean that the whole world agrees with me. The game has been online for soon two years and it's going strong with a huge playerbase so maybe they diserved their good reviews cause many people like it.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

it is quite  funny how many say the game is just average but for a average game it sure is punching above it weight.

and why 

because it was B2P

no other mmo since GW1 was released  B2P  thats why people buy it and play it

even yourself you can pick up your copy anytime and retry it  there are no barriers  and you don't need to resub

ask yourself would you have paid £15 to try it again for a month to see if you would have changed your mind

not many do that's why when people leave a mmo they really don't go back

but if in  the few months  something comes out for GW2 which is great well you can  load it up and  have a look yourself

Originally posted by zimboy69

it is quite  funny how many say the game is just average but for a average game it sure is punching above it weight.

and why 

because it was B2P

even yourself you can pick up your copy anytime and retry it  there are no barriers  and you don't need to resub

ask yourself would you have paid £15 to try it again for a month to see if you would have changed your mind

but if in  the few months  something comes out for GW2 which is great well you can  load it up and  have a look yourself

I think that $15/ £10 a month really isn't a disincentive to play for many people.  It is the equivalent of a couple of pints at the pub.  The disincentive is a tedious game.  You can give away boring stuff, no-one really wants it though.  

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

Well try to much can't be wrong but promise to much is always wrong. And lets not get confused just because you didn't like the game doesn't mean it's bad, it just means that you didn't like it. I thought Titanic was a shitty movie and I am sure they made more then a buck on that movie and a few Oscars.

Well for the innovation part sure it's not a huge innovation that only has things that no one has tryied before but they atleast went outside of the box insteed of making another wow clone like Swtor. Now sure I loved GW1 more then GW2 but then again that doesn't mean that the whole world agrees with me. The game has been online for soon two years and it's going strong with a huge playerbase so maybe they diserved their good reviews cause many people like it.

You can never judge a movie by Oscars.  Here is an example; 1994 was the year that Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption were released.  They won nothing.  Best film: Tom Hanks: Retard (I think it might have been released in the US as Forest Gump).  

That's right Tom Hanks: Retard won best film over two of the greatest movies ever made.  

People who give out awards are usually only shoring up their own position.  

Really just reading that part goes to show how biased and a troll you are, but kudos to your GW2 hatred, and your ability to use hate speech.

Lolipops !

Originally posted by Voiidiin
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

You can never judge a movie by Oscars.  Here is an example; 1994 was the year that Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption were released.  They won nothing.  Best film: Tom Hanks: Retard (I think it might have been released in the US as Forest Gump).  

That's right Tom Hanks: Retard won best film over two of the greatest movies ever made.  

People who give out awards are usually only shoring up their own position.  

Really just reading that part goes to show how biased and a troll you are, but kudos to your GW2 hatred, and your ability to use hate speech.

clap clap

EDIT: I wasn't going to explain, but I will since you are clearly too stupid to understand.  Oscars always go to people who play someone with a mental or physical disability.  They always do because they are considered 'difficult' or 'dangerous (career-wise)' roles.  

Tom Hanks: Retard has long been called that as a poke in the ribs to the entire award ceremony; not in anyway as a poke at people with a mental disability.

Perhaps now you understand that you can climb off your soap box?  

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

and why 

because it was B2P

I think that $15/ £10 a month really isn't a disincentive to play for many people.  It is the equivalent of a couple of pints at the pub.  The disincentive is a tedious game.  You can give away boring stuff, no-one really wants it though.  

so knowing what you know about GW2  if in a 3 months some new thing comes out for GW2  would you pay £10 to see it?

and why 

because it was B2P

so knowing what you know about GW2  if in a 3 months some new thing comes out for GW2  would you pay £10 to see it?

No, but I won't pay £0 seeing it either.  

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

I played it for one year and had a blast. WvW is fantastic. Combat is better than in most MMOs, it is challenging and fun. When it comes to exploring and questing this is by far the best MMO on the market. For those who wounder why I do not play anymore: I just have other hobbies that I enjoy much more than playing video games ;)

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

This discussion has been closed.