Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my experience with Epoch so far and why im playing it and no mmo's

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

let's be honest about a few things:

1. there are very few pure PvE servers or servers that come even close. you'd actually have a better chance of finding a solid PvE Rust server.

2. the FFA PvP and the people who participate in it the most are exactly what you would expect most of the time: they are brutal and they are bullies, both verbally and via ingame mechanics. they will not only kill you but then sexually accost you via typed or voiced chat and there is NO ignore feature at all, nor will there likely ever be one. these really are the the kinda people that if you met them in person you probably wouldn't think twice about them, but they allow themselves a sadistic outlet via this game, though probably other games as well.

3. the experience of 'nice' or 'helpful' people from observation is clearly a complete game of chance. i have met one player under one name who was encouraging and assisted unexpectedly only to change my name and encounter them a different time and have them behave in ways that would make them ashamed if filmed and then played at their place of employment or to their significant other. (actually that is a really great idea. wonder how a hacktivist could pull that off.)

4. Epoch is quickly becoming a null zed game. what do i mean by that? the zombies are a pure sideshow on many Epoch servers and frankly for good reason. Epoch offers far more to do than the original DayZ did or the current Standalone has yet to provide. there is talk that the new Epoch game being built from the ground up in relation to Arma 3, is not merely a modification of Arma 3, nor will it be a mere rehash of DayZ with building or even Epoch simply with better graphics. however that's all in the future and rumor.

5. it is the ONLY game currently where you can play in a free for all sandbox. admittedly Landmark is certainly a game to look forward to, at least for me. however, for realism, apocalypse, and survival combined with resource scavenging and building in the world, even integrated into models already in the world, this is the ONLY game with these options.

as such i have now been playing nothing but Rust and DayZ Epoch, though i am hoping for some variety in the Epoch servers soon as many seem to be focused purely on the FFA PvP to the loss of plenty of other possibilities that an Epoch server could provide.

at this point, the only mmo i might be playing is EQN/Landmark and im still waiting to see what SOE's 'zombie' game will be like. (frankly im a bit disappointed that it's zombie based. i have plenty of those to choose from.)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    so basically its all that the dayz standalone promised lol

so say we all

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by cylon8
    so basically its all that the dayz standalone promised lol

pretty much :)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse