Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why aren't games such as GTA(V) here? Now that MMORPG.com game-content has changed a bit?

docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184

Maybe I just missed it or am blind - but I can't find e.g. GTA-V here. I would claim it is just as much or even more a "MMO" than e.g. World of Tanks or others. Sure, console only, but that might change.

Also, non-MMOs, if one wants to be picky about definitions, etc, are now going to be more common here, no?

Just wondering.

--------------------------------------------
Youtube newb:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by docminus2

Maybe I just missed it or am blind - but I can't find e.g. GTA-V here. I would claim it is just as much or even more a "MMO" than e.g. World of Tanks or others. Sure, console only, but that might change.

Also, non-MMOs, if one wants to be picky about definitions, etc, are now going to be more common here, no?

Just wondering.

I believe it's because GTA V came out before their announcement of covering other game types here. I don't see them going back through older releases to add them to the site, but mostly new games that come out in the future.

I could be wrong of course, I have no idea what their intentions are for other genres and older releases.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    ah, yes, you have a point there. though in terms of revisiting games it still could be possible, I guess.

Youtube newb:

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Didn't they say in regard to the changes, they'll only add games if they're RPGs or something along those lines? Maybe I'm not remembering that right, but for some reason I thought I read something like that from Bill.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Didn't they say in regard to the changes, they'll only add games if they're RPGs or something along those lines? Maybe I'm not remembering that right, but for some reason I thought I read something like that from Bill.

I believe Bill said that they were going to be covering a lot more RPGs and that they were going to revamp the Games List for more clarification. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Cecropia

I believe Bill said that they were going to be covering a lot more RPGs and that they were going to revamp the Games List for more clarification. 

Correct on both counts!  Our new site look is nearing beta (one man working on it can only move so fast!), and the revamped Game List will let us separate game types.  But we'll be sticking to MMOs and their ilk, and RPGs.  GTAV, while I love it, doesn't claim to be an RPG.  If however they make a real MMO persistent world GTA, we will be all over it.

Me? I want a Red Dead Online more. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Yeah i remember that part as well, this is the part I was thinking of.

" It'll only be games that the developers themselves or common knowledge refers to as RPGs in some way or another, so you won't see Call of Duty pop up here just because it has levels. We will strive to be selective, in many ways more so than recent years with the MMO list, as we add RPGs to the Game List. As always, suggestions are welcome."

Heh, well that was a wasted search, thnx Bill :P. And agreed on the part about Red Dead :).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Maybe their actually waiting for the game to come out on the PC before including it, if they even do then, while GTA V is undoubtedly a very good game, its not yet on PC, and that will usually mean added content/features, which is also what happened with Gears of War, the PC version had more in it than the console versions did. Not a bad thing imo, but until its out on PC its pretty much a none issue whether the game is covered or not. image

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Correct on both counts!  Our new site look is nearing beta (one man working on it can only move so fast!), and the revamped Game List will let us separate game types.  But we'll be sticking to MMOs and their ilk, and RPGs.  GTAV, while I love it, doesn't claim to be an RPG.  If however they make a real MMO persistent world GTA, we will be all over it.

Oh, you tease, a Red Dead MMO would be amazing imo haha.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184

Thanks Bill. Red Dead - oh yes! Am afraid though it won't happen with the business' current trends, but what do I know.

But that aside, so you want a game to claim it is  an RPG? Not trying to make the case for GTA now (I like it but am not that great of a fan perhaps) but it has all the elements of an RPG? Leveling, skills that increase by using them, unlocking quests (missions) with increased level and difficulty.... etc etc. Housing even. There are self-proclaimed RPGs/MMOs that have less than that.

Admittedly though, I guess you need to draw the line somewhere, otherwise there might be many other online games that would fit the picture.

Youtube newb:

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

I hope you guys can now separate MMORPG's from other RPG's.  I hate getting disappointed by a game being some kind of matched based game when I'm expected a full blown MMORPG experience.  

• WingeyeWingeye Member Posts: 58

i demand that they change the domain name as well, not mmorpg.com but in stead allthegames.com

or mishmash.com

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

So maybe a name change for the site is in order, you could call it MMOs & RPG's, because it really isn't about MMORPG's anymore now is it?

Screw it, just include Madden NFL, heck, people are role playing being NFL football players, I'm not seeing much distinction anymore.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Kyleran

So maybe a name change for the site is in order, you could call it MMOs & RPG's, because it really isn't about MMORPG's anymore now is it?

Screw it, just include Madden NFL, heck, people are role playing being NFL football players, I'm not seeing much distinction anymore.

Why not, at least then we could all have a good moan about how all the Madden NFL games are copy pastes and haven't really improved in the last 5 years..image

• Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Distopia Didn't they say in regard to the changes, they'll only add games if they're RPGs or something along those lines? Maybe I'm not remembering that right, but for some reason I thought I read something like that from Bill.
    Correct on both counts!  Our new site look is nearing beta (one man working on it can only move so fast!), and the revamped Game List will let us separate game types.  But we'll be sticking to MMOs and their ilk, and RPGs.  GTAV, while I love it, doesn't claim to be an RPG.  If however they make a real MMO persistent world GTA, we will be all over it. Me? I want a Red Dead Online more. :)

well it has games that are neither RPGs or MMOs, such as Hearthstone and World of Tanks. Great games, both, though.

www.gamesthatmaybearemmorpgsbutoftennot.com

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by Kyleran

NBA 2k has more roleplay options than many RPG's if you got to myplayer/mycareer route.  

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

A better question would be why isn't Grand Theft Auto V on PC or next gen Consoles?

The Answer

Because people seem happy to buy it with inferior graphics so we don't want to expend the money or effort to make it for other platforms even if it makes us a profit.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

because consoles dont have REAL mmos. and since GTA V only came out on consoles yet, no one cares :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

My preference would be off-shoot sites. Purify the games list here. And, any thing else that is not an MMORPG could be moved over to sister sites owned and managed by the same people who operate this one. I feel it's beneficial because it gives each kind of game the chance at being handled in the way it specifically deserves.

As an example...Social MMO's. There are really not a lot of them out there (comparatively). And, they tend to have many worlds within them. So, they could cover the social MMO's as they develop. Talk about big events going on in them, Games that have been built on them as a platform etc. While maintaining an overall much smaller list for them, all the information could be more current for these ever changing environments.

Another example is the idea of handling RPG's. These deserve a massive back catalog of games back to the 8 bit era. With walk through/guides, cheats, mods etc. So, it could be a very in depth site.

I really feel if these are kept segregated...It's not just less confusing. But, more fair to all genres involved. Because, they won't be trying to manage too many types of games, under a single kind of approach. Putting each  into it's own environment should let them be more fair to all the genres they wish to cover.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

I hope you guys can now separate MMORPG's from other RPG's.  I hate getting disappointed by a game being some kind of matched based game when I'm expected a full blown MMORPG experience.  

Yes, I second this.

If I open up a can of salmon, I would be pissed if it was filled with ground frog ;)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Wingeye

i demand that they change the domain name as well, not mmorpg.com but in stead allthegames.com

or mishmash.com

why should they? MMO is already including a mish mash of lots of game types now.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

ok so I can play your game.

How do you define a RPG than?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Vexus_XVexus_X Member UncommonPosts: 57

Counter Strike: Global Offensive needs to be put up on MMORPG.com.

Actually, almost all games. I mean, CS:GO you roleplay a terrorist/counterterrorist, you level up your character with kills (money for kills/wins = better weapons = better character) and there's tons of players so its an MMO...

Cool. Standards to the WIND!