Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NA Server Maintenance

Am I the only one who finds that the server maintenance time is rediculous? It starts at 8am and finishes mid-day (3-7pm last time). Why would they not simply do this maintenance in the early am (2-3am)?

Dragon1613 says:asdfasdfafsdfw111111123123123213

-server-Dragon1613 has died

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    They start working at 8am?

• dragon1613dragon1613 Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Mikeyfree
    They start working at 8am?

Server techs very often work nighshifts in order to avoid disruptions during higher traffic hours.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    They are very considerate to people who can only play between midnight and 6am say.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I do think Fridays are a really poor choice, but the time isn't so bad for a weekday as most people are either at work or in school.

Once they finally get some stuff ironed out, they'll transition to a 1 day a week maintenance.

• dragon1613dragon1613 Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Rusque

I do think Fridays are a really poor choice, but the time isn't so bad for a weekday as most people are either at work or in school.

Once they finally get some stuff ironed out, they'll transition to a 1 day a week maintenance.

I agree, a lot of people have Fridays off (especially since its a holiday for a large chunk of the population today)... But still, I just have the feeling that they are not making the best decisions. I really enjoy the game, however they might just be shooting themselves in the foot with things like this.

• veratutazzveratutazz Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by dragon1613

I agree, a lot of people have Fridays off (especially since its a holiday for a large chunk of the population today)... But still, I just have the feeling that they are not making the best decisions. I really enjoy the game, however they might just be shooting themselves in the foot with things like this.

^^^^^ THIS.

Typical reasoning would suggest that if you need 6 hours to do maintainence then optimal time for said maintainence would be 3-4am to 9-10am.

It would also seem logical to set times based on server population data already accumulated.. which.. to be fair... they may have already done.

HOWEVER.. this Friday is Good Friday. A holiday. They should have known that in advance and moved this week's time up to Thursday.

I agree with the OP in my opinion, but admit that it is possible that those ARE the low times currently being seen by Zenimax. However, IMHO, maintainence during a holiday is .. silly.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Personally, I like that they push fixes live asap.

However, I don't see why it takes as long as it does.

• bostonjonbostonjon Member Posts: 19
    its great that they are pushing fixes out asap, but why are there server down times?  gw2 really doesn't have any for its patches.  just leave game download and right back in. (don't take this as gw2 > ESO, not intended to suggest that).  Different server set ups?  
  • kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Happy for the patches and fixes but find the timing of today's downtime... annoying. Oh well, there is always Civ while I wait.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by veratutazz

^^^^^ THIS.

Typical reasoning would suggest that if you need 6 hours to do maintainence then optimal time for said maintainence would be 3-4am to 9-10am.

It would also seem logical to set times based on server population data already accumulated.. which.. to be fair... they may have already done.

HOWEVER.. this Friday is Good Friday. A holiday. They should have known that in advance and moved this week's time up to Thursday.

I agree with the OP in my opinion, but admit that it is possible that those ARE the low times currently being seen by Zenimax. However, IMHO, maintainence during a holiday is .. silly.

Oddly, judging by the Cyrodiil populations over a couple weekday nights/mornings.. I think this is their slow time.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Can you expect anything else?  We've been complaining about this for weeks now.  How many past decisions have negatively affected the game?  They've already destroyed their own lore.  They've put certain content behind pay-walls, which is something they swore they wouldn't do.  They made very questionable changes to their early game, only days away from launch.  This company, at this point, has created a perception about themselves that they are poor decision makers.  If the decision makers have their way, it is only likely that they will continue to make bad decisions.  

Apparently they didn't hire a good 'Don't do that' guy.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

I

Not a holiday in the US.

If it had been the 28th November pretty sure the servers wouldn't have come down no matter how urgent the patch; Good Friday however - no problem.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

^^^^^ THIS.

Let's not forget about all the players who work night shift. You'd be surprised at how many of us there are, and the times you all are suggesting would be like us night shifters suggesting they do maintenance between 6pm -12am. Point being, neither of us want maintenance during our prime times, and I'm sure Zenimax has noticed morning time is the lightest time of the day for NA servers. I could be wrong though.  

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by nate1980

^^^^^ THIS.

Let's not forget about all the players who work night shift. You'd be surprised at how many of us there are, and the times you all are suggesting would be like us night shifters suggesting they do maintenance between 6pm -12am. Point being, neither of us want maintenance during our prime times, and I'm sure Zenimax has noticed morning time is the lightest time of the day for NA servers. I could be wrong though.  

I noticed something similar. Apparently either Auriel's Bow has no-lifers or theres an oceanic crew that plays 24/7, so it could be that the time with the lowest pop would be during morning instead of the middle of the night.