Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is Still Great. They just need to fire everyone top level. No Content for 12 months is ridicules

Comments

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by Canibaloler
    Originally posted by Viadric
    Still better than ESO. 

I agree.  Tried ESO for 50 hours and got bored stiff with just quest after quest and nothing to do other than wonder about all the bugs.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Wow is better than 90% of the mmo market.
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by Horusra

I don't disagree, but I think some more regular content, seeing as it's a subs game, should be the minimum requirement.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

If you own a Fiat Panda that works flawlessly, and all other cars tend to break down regularly, you indeed have a best product in the market.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    After grinding out four 90's, I'd had enough (more than enough).  There was NO WAY IN HELL, that I was going to continue my sub, without any real reason.  The leaving of his Divine Dev'ness Ghostcrawler is one of the very few bright spots of the last several years.  Lets see how Warlords works out in the winter.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Amazing as it might be, people actually like playing the game

Yes, and i'm sure if you ask a cocaine addict if they like doing cocaine, you'll get a resounding "yes" as a response.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by deniter

If you own a Fiat Panda that works flawlessly, and all other cars tend to break down regularly, you indeed have a best product in the market.

That is a brilliant comment - it just sums up the whole MMORPG genre right now!  :o)

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

Lol if they couldnt be bothered to give design a new season pvp gear(prideful is just recolored version of grievous).. I guess they CBA to create a new content.

If it weren't for the pvp(arenas).. I would have dumped this game long ago.. SOO raids can only hold my attention for so long... That being said, i do enjoy wow although it would be much better if they at least release some new stuff while waiting for WOD to be released.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Originally posted by deniter

That is a brilliant comment - it just sums up the whole MMORPG genre right now!  :o)

While it is worth a good laugh ...

It is more like the base product market changed. A lot of People no longer want MMO's. 

Other products which are MUCH easier to make and maintain with lesser resources took over the market.

A card game like Hearthstone or a Dota like game turn circles around most MMO's in revenue.

That's the problem. And ... before you blame the producers of these games ... actually most of the casual people WANT to play Farmville 2 on the iPad or have a 10 minute break with a CCG on the loo.

D3 RoS is actually better suited to conquer these new short playing sessions than WoW too.

So Blizzard simply adapts.

Nothing to see here.

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    I guess this is what happens when you're so far up at the top of the food chain. Work ethic gets sloppy and with WoW in its twilight years and no major growth to be seen again, its really no wonder they've gotten sloppy with the content releases. 
  • ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    The pace of 2013 was great with patches. 2014 is looking bleak in comparison, but Blizzard snagged a lot of my friends into Reaper of Souls and Heroes of the Storm, so no big hurt on their bottom line probably.
  • LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

I don't know what is going on inside blizzard...I just know that they somewhat recently 'purchased' themselves away from Vivendi, and I honestly don't know how much of a say the Activision side of Blizzard controls the day to day function of the company. There could be power battles and restructuring going on within the company, or who knows what.

Hopefully there is a large content gap because they are throwing their bones into creating Project Titan. However I personally doubt that. I feel that Blizzard is going to struggle with irrelevancy for the next generation of MMOs due to the bloat factor that is WoW and their desire to not compete with the same market share with Project Titan. Likely it will end up being some sort of persistent casual FPS or something equally useless and one dimensional.

WoW has suffered for content since day 1, and the delays have gotten progressively longer and longer. What should be a 4 week - major update and a 6 month expansion cycle has turned into the mess we have today. This doesn't even get into the problem of them making their 1-90 content irrelevant because of the level boost as well.

Just another day in the frustrating MMO market.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

Just to add here that today it was announced Blizzard (not Activision) had MORE revenue in the first 3 months of 2014 than in the same period 2013.

132 million dollars extra revenue or 40% increase.

Content or not: 7.6 million players pay the monthly subscription and are happy.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    My son recently went back to WoW and he created a new Panda monk and rushed to cap to raid with the guild from his university. I think most people do that they raid .So they just release content on a very long cycle. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by laserit

As long as the dollars continue to roll in, it will remain business as usual.

I wonder if there will ever be "a straw that broke the camel's back"

That pretty much sums it up.  The people that hop on the WoW forums complaining about lack of content, how bad the game is, how they are going to quit (month after month), how bored they are, etc....  are still paying $15 a month to post on those forums.

If I'm bored, I don't sub. I feel no loyalty towards a gaming company.  Maybe I'm the weird one.

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I think the content just moved now. They streamlined everything including raiding so now content is leveling and gearing your other max toons. In previous expansions it was considerably harder.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

That pretty much sums it up.  The people that hop on the WoW forums complaining about lack of content, how bad the game is, how they are going to quit (month after month), how bored they are, etc....  are still paying $15 a month to post on those forums.

If I'm bored, I don't sub. I feel no loyalty towards a gaming company.  Maybe I'm the weird one.

More of the smoke screen....

WoW has been over...for a while. But like Eve will still have a hardcore base trying to me it seem relevant. Well...neither are.

Welcome to NicheVille. Spout all the numbers you want, you are not at the top any more. Either of you.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Blizzard greed. Fanboys in denial like to say how it's just good business, but WoW is the biggest and saddest example of how sub-fee does not guarantee steady and tight flow of updates and content. Even at WoW's peak of 12 million subs the update and content frequency was slow and low as hell, and they were swimming in cash, they still are, just not maybe drowning in it anymore.
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

Blizzard is herding drug addicts. These guys who whine but never quit are too deep in WoW, they cant quit, but they are not satisfied with the game either. It leads into situation where they whine and beg for more of the drug, and the drug dealer only needs to provide the bare minimum dose to keep those wretches alive, paying month after month for nothing but eventually get that dose.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Honestly, I have to disagree. A LOT of what they did have been steps in the wrong direction. From the quick trivializing of content, stupification of most classes, and so on.  It just lost its heart and soul for the sake of getting casual players. Worst off, I feel it actually is REDUCING the number of casual players interested. By scaring away more hardcore/dedicated players its causing less casuals to want to play. Those who do, find themselves quickly burning through the content with the "well I beat the final boss in game in LFR, I'm done" kind of mentality. Its really sad just how dumbed down it is.

The thing is, back in the day there wasn't an issue with lack of content. In fact, we saw people bashing their heads in vanilla attempting to get to content they hadn't gotten to yet, something that carried in to TBC before being killed off in Wotlk. Having that gated content players had to work hard to get to gave a feeling of needing to work harder to reach and experience the end. Having LFR allowing you to experience the content in such a dumbed down mode ruins that experience. It only causes the lack of content to stick out like a sore thumb even quicker then it ever has before.

A game like wow (or any MMO in fact) will NOT go anywhere if they need to pump out content monthly to keep interest. They will be overwhelmed and not be able to deliver quality and meaty content. While I do feel they will need to do more, they need learn to throttle back, and realize that the vocal minority of players demanding to see it all are likely to quit and give up so quickly after they do, along with so many others.

Wow is a decent game and nothing more. Other games have evolved beyond it while WoW takes 5 steps back for every step forward and devolves itself into a worst and worst state in attempt to stop its bleeding of subs... which is only making it that much worst. Not to mention their cash shop. Holy **** is that one of the most disgusting cash shops I've seen in game price wise... for a SUBSCRIPTION BASED GAME. 

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Blizzard greed. Fanboys in denial like to say how it's just good business, but WoW is the biggest and saddest example of how sub-fee does not guarantee steady and tight flow of updates and content. Even at WoW's peak of 12 million subs the update and content frequency was slow and low as hell, and they were swimming in cash, they still are, just not maybe drowning in it anymore.

Your argument would be valid *if* blizzard had a history of a steady and and tight flow of updates and content.  But they didn't.  They've always been terrible about it.  But people still played it because it was the biggest and baddest and humans are naturally drawn towards things that are popular.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Kuinn

Your argument would be valid *if* blizzard had a history of a steady and and tight flow of updates and content.  But they didn't.  They've always been terrible about it.  But people still played it because it was the biggest and baddest and humans are naturally drawn towards things that are popular.

I smell a bit of denial here. When you have the resources, it's completely up to you if you want to do something. Blizzard has the most resources of any MMO studio. Small games with little population does not have the resources, so they cant hire more folks to pre-produce content that is then easy to beta into the live game, Blizzard has the resources to pre-produce content for every month year(s) in advance, but they choose not to.

If you are saying that Blizzard is simply not capable to do this no matter how much money they have to spend, does it mean that Blizzard is extremely shit company for handling resources at hand, or does it mean that you are in denial and they dont care if you get enough content, since you are addicted and they need only to provide the bare minimum dose to keep you squirming in withdrawals but still paying.

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Krimzin

They dont need to fire everyone at the top, because the good ones already quit, thats the problem.

The solution however, is to follow them.. Oh Wait.. Where did they go you ask..

To image

Carbine Studios is currently working on an unannounced project that promises to break new ground in massively multiplayer gaming. The studio, comprised of 17 former Blizzard employees including lead and senior developers from the World of Warcraft team, is led by industry veterans Kevin Beardslee, Tim Cain and Jeremy Gaffney. Kevin Beardslee, Carbine's vice president of design, was a lead developer on Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft. Tim Cain, Carbine's programming director, was the producer, lead programmer and designer on the award winning Fallout, and co-founder of Troika Games. Carbine's Executive Producer Jeremy Gaffney previously worked as executive producer on NCsoft's City of Heroes®, and established the product development group at NCsoft's Austin headquarters as VP of development. He was also a co-founder of Turbine, Inc., where he spearheaded development on Asheron's Call.

And they ended up making a shitty game.  God WS is boring.

• LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Never thought I'd see the day where WoW gets updated less often than most f2p games. On the bright side you probably still spent less money than those who got hooked into a cash shop. Still though  I bet if WoW lost a decent amount of subscribers they'd be more inclined to push out a content update for you guys. Seems like blizzard has become pretty damn complacent.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by sportsfan

Just to add here that today it was announced Blizzard (not Activision) had MORE revenue in the first 3 months of 2014 than in the same period 2013.

132 million dollars extra revenue or 40% increase.

Content or not: 7.6 million players pay the monthly subscription and are happy.

Well not I'm suprised , they let people pre-order almost a year in advance so players would pay to get the level 90 boosts and they're a already selling them on the cash shop. I thought they would have least waited for the cap to be raised, but guess it was just to tempting :)