Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vision, direction, and immediate plans --- 4-15-2014 Announcement

HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Today with this communication we hope to make the community a part of our vision, direction and immediate development plans for Darkfall Unholy Wars.

Direction is a critical issue for the game and the development team, and it has been a hotly debated topic within the community. Compromises have been made along the way; however we are committed to our original vision of a politically and economically driven sandbox PvP MMO, where risk dictates the reward, leading to meaningful massive battles. Sandbox is part of our culture and, to us, it’s the essence of gaming, rather than a current industry trend.

To realign with our vision, we have evolved our internal structure and workflow, and we have our development strategy to guide us back on track. We are also committed to our interaction and communication with the community since our players are an integral part of our vision.

To that end, we are pleased to present the major features from our next few updates:

Custom Roles

Drawing from Darkfall’s heritage we are introducing custom roles. Players can mix and match skills, boosters, and perks, to fully customize their combat role, enhancing sandbox character development. Armor sits on top of the whole system, affecting different skills in different ways, but blocking none. The endless combinations promote player freedom and the open ended experience. The introduction of Custom roles is our highest priority; expect to see them in game very soon.

Economy Rebalance

The driving force behind meaningful conflict and combat is a robust economy. We have been going over every monster, resource node and recipe. Additionally, new higher tier tools as well as special nodes are being introduced, along with more variation in recipes. These changes are coming in waves; expect to see them in most of our upcoming patches. The next step in the economy rebalance is enchanting; once custom roles are launched, enchanting will follow.

Siege Engines

A highly requested feature, siege engines have been on our backlog for a while. Proper catapults, siege towers, battering rams and siege ladders are in the works and their introduction will change the face of sieging. These engines are driven across terrain, and need to be positioned properly following a realistic medieval approach to their design and operation. This feature, currently in the design pipeline, will become our development focus right after custom roles have been implemented.

Quest System

Aimed mainly at improving our new player experience, quests will also provide content for all players. Darkfall lore is reintroduced through engaging storylines to help new players learn the ropes and explore the world. For experienced players, quests offer meaningful rewards like unlockable perks. This is a resource demanding system we’re already working on, so we’ll keep you updated on its progress.

These four systems are our major development goals, along with various other smaller ones, such as improvements to the feel and responsiveness of combat, additional improvements to the new player experience, and more. Overall, we aim to move away from features that are not consistent with our sandbox vision. A very specific example: we are rethinking timed events and the purpose of safe zones, and we are experimenting with meaningful alignment system setups.

As a philosophy, we will always challenge our development decisions against our sandbox strategy and decisively move forward with making Darkfall the game it’s meant to be.

The Darkfall Team

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?389726-Vision-direction-and-immediate-plans&p=6273531#post6273531

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    This is good. The question now is how fast can AV start delivering these elements.
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782

I think I have to start taking AV seriously again. The recent increase in communication is the best example. And I also like what I read here. It goes hand in hand with what I wrote on their froum on what I want to resub to the game. One was making us choose and mix skills from all schools. This is the best they can do, more sandboxy, then crappy roles ala themepark. And also old DF fans should be delighted with this.

Then I love that enchanting is around the corner to. This was the second thing I wanted.

So very good. I only hope they also do more stuff for the soloplayers, since recent nerf to harvesting etc has made that option of playstyle harder. And I also hope they lower the amount needed for harvesting feats tied to the nerf of essence that they've done. 

But all in all. I like what I'm reading. This alongside MOs leaked patch notes, warms a sandbox lovers heart. :D

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 269

As for custom roles I have my doubts that AV will be able to provide us with a decent system. Well, in worst case it hopefully will end like DF1, we'll see what AV will do.

Quests are kinda the last thing I expected and I don't think i once heard a DF players actually mentioning missing them - so this change is a major surprise for me.

Siege improvements will be a great addition

Economy rebalances are needed, I really hope they also evaluate deleting excessive bank content so the people complaining about "having too much gear in bank" finally can rejoice.

LFG!
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

This news was indeed a surprise.  WoW.  Hopefully it all gets implemented in a timely manner.  Mass, one of the devs, just posted that these new systems will be in place in months, not years.  So that is encouraging if they are able to pull through.

Again....woah...best MMO evah!

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Now let's see if they actually ever get around to doing any of it, and in less than 3 years. Will likely turn into another DF 2010...i mean 2.0.. oh nevermind we're making DFUW now.

I completely understand that mentality because of AV's previous track record.  Let's take a step back and look at all the things AV has done this past year with Unholy Wars:

Actually, when I think of it, it's too many things for me to bother listing.  AV has quietly been chipping away at this game to make it a top notch quality product.

Hopefully the gaming community will see that and come see what all the fuss is about.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I'm completely shocked. I was totally prepared to be disappointed by this update. I was thinking it was just going to be more territory control stuff, which is alright, but wouldn't be a huge deal. Glad I was wrong.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i was a very happy person when i got this email today as well.

i think AV might actually have their priorities straight for once.  though i still would like to see the 2 magic words "alignment system".

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Originally posted by itchmon

i think AV might actually have their priorities straight for once.  though i still would like to see the 2 magic words "alignment system".

They did touch upon this as well. "A very specific example: we are rethinking timed events and the purpose of safe zones, and we are experimenting with meaningful alignment system setups". But I would have loved to see this in priority over quests that I don't get at all.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Lahuzer

I think I have to start taking AV seriously again. The recent increase in communication is the best example. And I also like what I read here. It goes hand in hand with what I wrote on their froum on what I want to resub to the game. One was making us choose and mix skills from all schools. This is the best they can do, more sandboxy, then crappy roles ala themepark. And also old DF fans should be delighted with this.

Then I love that enchanting is around the corner to. This was the second thing I wanted.

So very good. I only hope they also do more stuff for the soloplayers, since recent nerf to harvesting etc has made that option of playstyle harder. And I also hope they lower the amount needed for harvesting feats tied to the nerf of essence that they've done. 

But all in all. I like what I'm reading. This alongside MOs leaked patch notes, warms a sandbox lovers heart. :D

I'm really happy to hear you say this, man. :)

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    AV finally gets it.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

They did touch upon this as well. "A very specific example: we are rethinking timed events and the purpose of safe zones, and we are experimenting with meaningful alignment system setups". But I would have loved to see this in priority over quests that I don't get at all.

Quest is a priority coz the current feat system feels terrible for most unless they're repetitive feats.

I'm sure quests will give gold, some items and prowess as a reward to take the place of those lame and boring feats that makes you kill 180 of something to gain some prowess. They will make you follow a story and it will be optional, but hey, DF UW is not only an mmo, but an mmorpg and i want my share of that RPG and UW is lacking way too much of that substance to be one.

• mmoesportsmmoesports Member UncommonPosts: 161

Regardless of what is coming, I think recent Territory control patch was simply amazing.  Every time I go to a mob spawn, I am seeing people.  Almost like when the game started back in April.  

There is enough to enjoy, and will be more in 3 ~ 4 months time. 

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

It's seems they have realised that they can pull subs away from ESO if they actually pull their finger out of their ass and get shit done.

I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Originally posted by Lustmord

I'm really happy to hear you say this, man. :)

I give credit when credit is due. And this time AV deserves it. Just as much as I thought they deserved bashing before when they didn't communicate etc. I'm a sandbox lover by heart, and even though I thought I would never pick up DFUW again, it's nice to see that AV could turn me around. And if they can turn me around, there should be more out there. Although that Ilives-guy I don't think any1 can turn. :P

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Quest is a priority coz the current feat system feels terrible for most unless they're repetitive feats.

I'm sure quests will give gold, some items and prowess as a reward to take the place of those lame and boring feats that makes you kill 180 of something to gain some prowess. They will make you follow a story and it will be optional, but hey, DF UW is not only an mmo, but an mmorpg and i want my share of that RPG and UW is lacking way too much of that substance to be one.

I here ya. But I personally think there are other things that I would prioritze before quests. Like enchanting. And I don't think I've read anywhere that peoples are asking for quest in DFUW. So I didn't see that one coming at all.

It's possible that they have separate people working on quests and working on them may not necessarily be slowing down development of shit like enchanting and changing loot tables. Not sure though.
    Its nice to be able to pop into this site and see some positivity from the community when it comes to discussing Darkfall. 
  • GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Being shocked and impressed by AV constantly these days. Will resub when customer classes and the revamped economy hit.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

It looks promising.

But as a DF fan since 2009 (I know that's still a noob) who got hyped about DF 2010, I want to see it actually implemented and working as intended.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

I really wanted to like this game ,pre ordered UW , and jumped right in , played for a month , and just couldnt get past how Slowwwww everything you do is... Combat ,Travel, crafting , etc... seemed like everything in game i was up to my knees in Molasses..

Maybe ill try it again , it has everynthing i would wnat in an MMO .. just why so Slowwwww!!

• mmoesportsmmoesports Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Originally posted by Scorchien

I really wanted to like this game ,pre ordered UW , and jumped right in , played for a month , and just couldnt get past how Slowwwww everything you do is... Combat ,Travel, crafting , etc... seemed like everything in game i was up to my knees in Molasses..

Maybe ill try it again , it has everynthing i would wnat in an MMO .. just why so Slowwwww!!

that pretty funny actually, because everything is slow, it attracted me. I hated getting 2 shotted in other games.   I was getting sick of all the fast Arenas in the other games. 

Originally posted by mmoesports
    Originally posted by Scorchien

that pretty funny actually, because everything is slow, it attracted me. I hated getting 2 shotted in other games.   I was getting sick of all the fast Arenas in the other games. 

What you don't know is, it made it easier for us to kill you guys. Since the game is slower, it's easier for us to sticky back longer and if you're a warrior, you can gank while getting back stabbed multiple time(Some imba shit). It's even easier to chain combo's and if you don't have atleast one prim in your team, you're doomed to lose unless you're up against a full group of skirmishers that can sprint away and preventing the enemy from running away at the same time.

Truth is, the best composition is a full group of warriors + 1 prim.

But anyway, all this will change once this upcoming patch will go live.

I don't think I've ever heard anybody try to make the case that it's easier for vets to kill new players in DFUW than in DFO.