Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sitting vs Standing & Gamer Health

SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
Most, if not all of us sit down often for gaming and a good number of us sit down for our work. People who have to sit as often as I do need to be very careful, as sitting for these extremely long periods of time can be very unhealthy and in fact, actually kill you.

I spend a great deal of time studying and reading up on methods to make sitting more tolerable for the body. Ever since I made the decision to lose a lot of weight, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't continue to explore new ways to benefit my health. 

Over the years of discovering and playing MMORPG games, I went from 210 (I'm 6' 2") to a whopping 320 lbs. In recent years, I've been able to drop all the way back down to 255-260 lbs and still working on it, all while having a sit-down job. My main methods were drinking lots of water (no pop, juice, etc.), eating light dinners at least 2-3 hours before bed-time, stretching at least 20 minutes a day (yoga is fantastic and I still often use this http://www.everydayhealth.com/yoga-p....aspx#/slide-1) and walking an average of 45 min-1 hr a day. If you can go anywhere within walking distance and have the time, walk instead of drive. Just try changing some of these bad behaviors and see the benefits for yourselves.

Anyways, I get up from the chair as often as I can to stretch, walk around, do 'leg pumps', anything to get my circulation to improve. However, in order to get the #'s & pay I do from work, I still have to sit in the chair a lot of the time. I intend to take my efforts further with the purchase of my new GeekDesk found here http://www.geekdesk.com/. For anyone that spends a lot of time in their chairs at home, I seriously urge you to consider this purchase if you can afford to. 

I've noticed my feet getting ice cold every day from sitting and I'm certain it's a lack of circulation. I'm confident this is going to improve that tremendously. I also don't have the best posture so there's that too. Yes, I understand for gaming, standing may not be a really great solution, but if you work at home, or game for many, many hours each day, periods of long standing will help a lot. You even burn calories just from standing!

Here is a small list of facts from JustStand.org regarding what sitting and standing does for you, for easy reference:  http://www.juststand.org/tabid/816/default.aspx. The internet, obviously, is loaded with more information.

I put this message out to our community because I'm seriously concerned for the health of all of you. We are gamers, artists, workers and in this day of age the demand to be in the chair is growing. I sincerely encourage you to look at these facts, take any feasible steps you can to improve your health all-around and just be conscious of the real-life consequences of what you do. We aren't getting any younger people, take those steps today!