Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please tell me it gets better, or I've made a big mistake

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Not sure what you mean about the combat.

I do however know what you mean when I go back to January in my first beta en the second beta where there was no collision detection. And while combat never was Elder Scrolls strong points it is a improvement over the singleplayer games for me atleast.

Besides that with any MMO I never understood how people can Judge combat just within a few hours of play. Think people don't want to immersive themselfs into a character in hopes to become better and stronger, instead people asume they should be grand combatants from the get go.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by adkenner

I was hesitant about this game...but then I read some decent reviews and got a coupon to make it 48 bucks. Seeing as though I don't have much else to play right now..I decided to give ESO a whirl. 

I played for 3 hours this afternoon (before having the game crash)....and I think I've made a big mistake. So far I would have to call this one of the most boring MMO's ive ever played. The combat is flat out TERRIBLE. I'm playing a nightblade, and have tried both melee and ranged....both are equally bad. There is just no "feel". Combat is really clunky...you don't feel like you are actually hitting anything....and its nothing but the same old "hit 1, 2, or 3 until something dies type of bore fest. 

I was not expecting something super ground breaking...but this is just a huge disappointment. 

For those that have been playing all week....does it get better? Am I missing something? Do I just need to level up more to get more interesting skills? Should a try a particular class/style that can make the combat bearable? 

Someone please convince me to log in again....or tell me how to get a refund!! 

There is no such thing as making a mistake. Even if you feel you have done the wrong thing was it necessary for you to realize that it is not good for you. See it as a chance and dont regret it. How stupid would that be?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Sorry, but OP has done 14 posts, that's too few for me to take anyone credibly.
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

I only lasted to lvl 21 - the combat and questing got really stale really fast.

• kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

OP,  if you can't get $50 worth of fun out of ESO... then maybe MMO's are not your bag baby.

For a quick comparison, what does $50 buy you these days that has the potential to offer similar entertainment. 

Ok, maybe NetFlix or similar service.  I mean, who can't enjoy The Walking Dead or House of Cards for $8 a month x6

Have dinner with a friend - $50

Catch a movie with a friend, and share popcorn and pop - $50

Buy beer or liquor, or weed for you folks in Colorado - $50

Buy 50 lottery tickets - $50

Donate $50 to your favorite charity

Put some gas in your ride - $50

Buy 1 share of LNG - $50

...and so on.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Agreed, the combat is about as bad as STO-land combat.
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

Long time lurker, first time poster here.  I've played a few MMOs (Everquest; WoW; LoTRO) and am a longtime single-player RPG fan, including the Elder Scrolls games.  First off, I don't think it's reasonable to judge the system of a MMO (or any game, really) based on the first few hours.  You have few abilities, and you're usually dealing with very simple encounters.

If your standard of comparison is a first person shooter - well, this system won't stack up well; but this game is not a shooter.  If your standard is other MMOs, I actually think it does very well.  The system is built around resources, not cooldowns on abilities; there are dodge and block options; and the small skill set permits very different builds and approaches, which makes creative play a very real option. Basic attacks have a role, and so on.  This isn't a single player game, but it holds up surprisingly well against games like Skyrim.

In terms of quests, I very much like this system - and I'm someone who had basically written MMOs off because of repetitive and trivial content.  The questing is on a par with ES games - which is to say, there are some very strong storylines (and a few weak ones, of course.)  If you do the MMO norm and click through the quests you won't enjoy them - but that's roughly like skimming through a book and complaining that the story (which you didn't actually read) was weak.  I like the idea that I have to actually travel and discover locations to trigger quests, rather than being led around by the nose.  I also very much like the idea that I appear to have a persistent impact on the world that I see - e.g. after I defeat the Daedra in a town it appears as if it is being rebuilt.  And the exploration emphasis means that I can see this in action.  There is also a lot of material - based on the last week it appears as if I'll have a few months just to work through the quest lines in the various factions, which is comparable or greater than other single player Elder Scrolls games.  If you approach the game on the terms that it was designed for - e.g. play it as itself, rather than as some other game - it works very well.  I'd try it in that spirit.

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

When I think about GOOD MMORPG combat, I always think about one fight I had in WoW on a PvP server.  Yeah, nobody likes to give WoW credit for anything, but it had some good open world PvP... much, much better than Cyrodil's PvP.

At that time, vanilla WoW at level 60, not long after the Winterfell zone (I think that was the name; it's been a long time) was opened, one of the most feared opponents was the Undead Priest.  They were universally claimed to be OP... of course, Alliance players always claimed classes on the other side were OP.  That's the nature of MMO's...

I was on my way out of the zone when I bumped into one.  I was on my Night Elf Druid.  He attacked.  I responded.

With both classes able to heal themselves, the fight seemed to last an hour.  When we finished, his DoT on me taking effect less than half a second before my DoT killed him (so he got credit for the kill; but, hey, the thrill of that fight was worth it) there was a crowd of around twenty other players, Alliance and Horde, standing around watching, cheering.  They never interfered; they never interrupted.  Now, that was a fight...

I imagine it was really only five minutes or so, but consider that for a second: FIVE MINUTES?  How long do fights last in ESO?  I've been one-shot in PvP more often than not.  I've been one-shot in PvE by bosses.  If a fight does last a while in PvE, it's because the boss has to be kited forever... and you're only using a few skills because the other ones (e.g., crowd control) are disallowed.

It's not the clunkiness of the fights in ESO that bothers me, it's the braindead nature of the fights.

EDIT: Damn typos.

• nottykidnottykid Member UncommonPosts: 23

Elder Scrolls is an extremely complex game when you get down to the math- Nightblades are possibly the most flexible class with some of the most versatile skills- if you don't look at the skills and think "I can use this with this and ooo this looks good" then do not play nightblade.

Elder Scrolls in general it isn't about what "Class" you play but how you want to play them:

In beta I was a Templar- sword and board and essentially I heavily speced into my Sword and shield tree and used only the healing tree from the templar classes effectively creating and offense - Defense balance!

With my nightblade I went stamina build (abilities get their damage from either stamina or magicka) so I was a glass canon but compensated by specing in the medium armor class for evasion. As my weapon I went with Bow as my first weapon (bow is nearly all stamina based) and 2 handed sword for crowd control- with the same character I respeced (you can reset your character with in-game currency, haleluya) and made a magicka based nightblade with some AMAZING single target burst but my 2nd weapon I switch between AOE and group play- (destructo staff or rest staff).

My point is you should read EVERY skill available and not just the class skills then formulate a build that compliments each other- Spec your stat that you want (magicka or stamina) and balance between damage and durability.

It is classical RPG really but with flexibility and personalization you dont see in ANY mmorpg.

• MrG8MrG8 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by adkenner
    Am I missing something?

Yes probably, I don't know... This simply isn't a game for you, so move on!

I mean there's TONS of games out there that I find very boring..  But do I visit the forums for those games and ask that community why I find that game boring? No...

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by gonewild

Try to reach lvl 10-12.

The game becomes more interesting after lvl 10

Although if the class is your problem try something else.

I would even say, depending on area, 15.

That's when I felt the quests had more interesting bits. At least those you find while exploring.

Then again, Iv'e seen people say "I'm level 20 and I've ran out of quests" where I was 23 and still finishing quests in the area. I think if people aren't ardent explorers the game might fall a bit flat for them.

^ This. For all of the Themepark bashing ESO has received, this game does not hold your hand like a typical Themepark. You need to get off the beaten path to find all of the quests, skyshards, open dungeons, instanced dungeons, world bosses, crafting locations, etc..

Another user here Adam Nox was having this problem. I told him the same thing. I'm level 15 in Stonefells and I only have the zone about 75 - 80% complete.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

There could be several factors.  It might be your class.  I like some, but hate others (sorc lol).  It might also be your faction.  Each faction has it's own flavor to it.  I like the Aldmeri Dominion, but really don't like Ebonheart Pact's areas and quests.  EP might be better once you get into Skyrim and stuff, but for the first 30 or so levels, Aldmeri Dominion is where it's at :)  Daggerfall I only played to level 14, it's ok, but it wants to turn you into some super knight, which I don't really want to be.

This game is very story driven (imho).  If you like story and lore then I would say this game is for you.  If you want action and lots of hacking and slashing, not so much, except maybe in Cyrodiil.  There's lots of action in Cyrodiil, and it never stops :)  I would say by level 15 if you haven't found something you like to do, then you're probably not going to.  At level 15 you get weapon swapping, which can make things a lot more interesting.  Instead of just chaining 3-4 moves together, with weapon swapping, can switch back and forth and make yourself very unique.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by krulux

OP,  if you can't get $50 worth of fun out of ESO... then maybe MMO's are not your bag baby.

Personally, I couldn't even find one months sub worth of "fun" in TESO.  I love MMORPGs, but I don't love a game that attempts to be apart from all others, yet falls for exactly same pitfalls as all todays MMORPGs do. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by yllis

The idea that buying a game you may not like qualifies as a " Big Mistake " is shocking.

A big mistake is driving drunk or trying to get revenge by setting a fire.

Unless you are prepared to explain how spending money on a computer game is a " Big Mistake " you should rethink your life values.

Jesus Christ, you are just arguing semantics here. It's a common expression people use all the time. Doesn't mean the phrase is reserved for life changing mistakes.

@OP, I would keep playing. At least make use of the 30 days you paid for. You might end up liking it.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Xaaz23Xaaz23 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    No - it does not get better. it's some of the most boring combat I've played. While it was fun to explore a bit, the combat ruined it for me. Do yourself a favor and request a refund while they are still honoring them because of how broken everything is. Got mine and glad it's done with.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

OP, keep playing through your first 30 days. You may warm up to the game over time. If you don't like the combat though, it may not be the right game for you. Personally, I love the combat, it feels like GW2's action combat only with blocking and less clunkiness. I always found GW2 kind of clunky but still very fun, I felt like ESO has built very well off of the action combat model.

If the game isn't for you though, it just isn't for you. People say WildStar has amazing combat and terrible story/graphics. Personally I thought the story and graphics were WildStar's best feature and the combat was terrible to me. Everyone is going to have a different opinion, it makes the world a much better and more unique place.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    From the sound of it the op needs to find an mmofps to play. 1,2,3 combat is a pretty strong staple in the mmorpg world. Whether in tab target or action based. Dodging being active or passive, how targets are acquired for damage, and auto vs manual attacks seem to be the only true differences.
  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Class choice makes a big difference, but more than that, the level you are also makes a difference.  Why?  Because sub-lvl 10, you won't have but a few skills to use.  You simply haven't gained enough exp to unlock other weapon skills, spells, class skills, racial skills, guild skills, pvp skills, passive abilities, etc..  Also sub-lvl 15, you only get 1 weapon and 6 buttons to use.  Once you reach lvl 15, you'll gain weapon swap ability, be able to use 2 weapons, and will have 12 ability buttons to access.  So I do question anybody that says combat doesn't change after lvl 10-15.

If your complaint is reticle combat, that's unfortunately a killer for some people.  My g/f couldn't get used to it, but after spending more time (another week player), she's now used to the reticle combat and loving the game.  So again, I question anybody who says things don't change considering the OP only played for 3 hours.  By my estimation, 3 hours, he barely made it out of the starter island and probably reached around lvl 5-6.  At that level you would only have access to 2-3 spells/melee abilities, and they aren't even the cool ones.

Anyways, it's probably too late to suggest it.  But I would recommend anybody to give the game until lvl 15 or so, you'll at least have gained enough exp to unlock various skills & spells, and have probably experienced PvP which is a highlight of this game.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

LOL, Guess you should have played an elder scrolls game first.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Some games work well for some players, others for other players.

What I do with any MMO is that I pick 2 or 3 characters and play for about 2 hours each, then I pick one. I play that character for a full weekend (8-14 hours or so) and then I know if I like the game or not.

Playing any further then that have never made a unfunny game fun but some games takes that long to get into. That doesn't mean that the game will last me years, I have a second decide time after about 6 weeks and if I still enjoy me there I know I will play the game 9 months to 6 years or so.

That works for me at least, just a few hours is too hasty if you paid any real money unless the game totally blows for you.

And I can't say if it becomes better for you, no one really can. I can't even always say why I enjoy a specific MMO myself or why games like Wow never worked for me myself, but the same thing goes for movies and music. Taste differs nd even the best made game might suck for someone while a rather poorly made game can be really fun. Nothing wrong with that or we all would listen to exactly the same music and watch the same movies.

One more shout to the OP on the "This game is Boring" part that you say...

RPG's take a level of maturity, patience, and reading skill to enjoy the storylines and questlines.   Most  people who come to ESO looking to play a great game but are the kind of player who clicks through quests or skips them, as well as the books, will miss the most important feature of ESO and what makes it great.   Through the many storylines found in quests and books,  you will find this is this games best feature which seperates it from the rest out on the mmorpg market...   If you do not like RPG or think RPG is boring, you will have already lost the greatest feature of this game.

That said, combat isn't as actionable as a First Person Shooter game, or like your common MMO, its like Elder Scrolls combat, where yes, your swings can take some time to do a full swing.     Your abilies will be used when needed as utility in most cases or to give you an advantage with alimited amount of resource to use them (stamina and magicka bars).   If your not into slower type combat like FFXI  you might not enjoy the combat either.

So if you don't fit into either of these two types of players, the RPG and slower combat (with higher reaction requriment type) combat,   then I could see you really not enjoying something like this....

As all you would have left to play is a great graphic game with exploration,  missing out on the one feature that makes this game so great to many, which is RPG.   Good Luck finding your next game, I wish you well.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

Try to reach lvl 10-12.

Then again, Iv'e seen people say "I'm level 20 and I've ran out of quests" where I was 23 and still finishing quests in the area. I think if people aren't ardent explorers the game might fall a bit flat for them.

No idea how that happens as there are quests everywhere.  Nobody in our guild has run out of quest at all.

Originally posted by Deerhunter71

Try to reach lvl 10-12.

No idea how that happens as there are quests everywhere.  Nobody in our guild has run out of quest at all.

This happens by skipping all the early content, like starter islands, looting chests, killing random mobs as you level ect.    When you go straight for end game like some in my guild say, they do see this gap.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

Try to reach lvl 10-12.

Sorry but there is no magic level in ESO or any other MMO.

If a MMO doesn't grab some one from get go chances are it never will. Forcing yourself to play through something will only frustrate that person more.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Zalmon

Try to reach lvl 10-12.

Sorry but there is no magic level in ESO or any other MMO.

If a MMO doesn't grab some one from get go chances are it never will. Forcing yourself to play through something will only frustrate that person more.

This is veritable bull. In fact MOST mmo's actually do have a magic number where it actually becomes fun and interesting. Simply due to the fact that most games start with very few features and as you level up you get more and more, and sometimes, the game starts off way to slow to but once you unlock a certain feature or gameplay then it's the beesnees.

That aside, if the player has 0 patience then yea if the MMO doesn't grab them from the get go chances are it never will because they will be actively searching for reasons to hate the game.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!