Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Game is Simply Amazing!

WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

So it's been about a week of play for me, I have a level 21 DC Templar and I must say my time playing ESO has be one of the most immersive and engaging MMORPG experiences I have ever played, the story and the connection I have with my character is something I have not had in a very long time, the level of detail to this game is astounding, the pace of character progression is perfect IMO, every upgrade I feel stronger, look better and in a sense play better as a result.

I must admit when this game first was announced I payed it no mind thinking it would be just another MMO banking on a killer IP to make a fast buck, but man O man I was wrong, if you take the time to engage yourself into this world you will be lost in a virtual reality unlike any MMO before it, and that is saying a lot coming from me, I been around the MMO world sense day one 1998.

ESO drags me into the world like the early World of Warcraft did, needless to say I played WoW for 7 years because of this, If ESO can keep up the content they have me for a long time.

What are your thoughts of ESO is far?

Comments

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285

While I played beta, watched many Twitch streams and am in an entire community (not here) that is playing, I found that it generally wasn't for me, as I'm a pretty serious PVPer and felt the game simply didn't offer enough variety for that type of content, plus I didn't care for the combat system that much.

That all being said, it's obvious the game has a strong questing/lore drive about it, and even with the bit I did in beta (both Ebonheart and Aldmeri) I thought it was pretty fun!  I didn't buy the game, however, I'm super happy you are enjoying it so much.  It's always good to know someone got their money's worth!  :D

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    Once the `shiny new object` feeling wears off in a month or two and the majority of the more dedicated players plow through the quest content we`ll see how many people stick around.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    It just doesn't feel like a world, feels like a bunch of small maps you get filtered down through to do WoW like quests.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Nihilist
    Once the `shiny new object` feeling wears off in a month or two and the majority of the more dedicated players plow through the quest content we`ll see how many people stick around.

or maybe people just like the game and are having fun, will return when the adventure zones and new content is released, or aren't meant for this game or any MMO since the only goal was to skip everything and reach end level to say "Ding 50". Either way, I went for the 180 day plan because I disagree with you and probably a lot of other folks do too.

There Is Always Hope!

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by keithian

or maybe people just like the game and are having fun, will return when the adventure zones and new content is released, or aren't meant for this game or any MMO since the only goal was to skip everything and reach end level to say "Ding 50". Either way, I went for the 180 day plan because I disagree with you and probably a lot of other folks do too.

yea, but the majority of people are always ensared by the rose colored glasses effect in their first month or two months of gaming. this is why you always see a drastic drop in amount of players around month 3 of subscriptions, because thats when they realize they've been fooling themselves that they've been playing a near flawless game.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Brisky29Brisky29 Member Posts: 65

To each their own. 

I agree with the OP for the most part. This game has an immersion factor that has been missing in nearly all the mmo's I've tried since vanilla WoW. Its all about the journey. 

Perhaps new and shiny will wear off, I don't know. In addition to WoW played AoC, Rift, Lotro, Swtor, Aion, Tera, FF14 (original launch and Reborn), Secret World, Neverwinter, probably a few others....and I said pretty much the same thing, the new would wear off and be done with em. 

It feels different this time, LOL. I keep sinking deeper and deeper into this game. I just may be addicted to an mmo again for the first time since Burning Crusade. 

• gimmiblackdesertnowgimmiblackdesertnow Member Posts: 56

Well, good for you, sadly I can't enjoy it due to the bad progression system in the game. I have to save the queen 1 hour into the game?  No thanks. Stop overwhelming me with story and let me get immersed in the world first -.-

Also you are pretty much forced to do quests all the time, you get insanely low amount of exp for mobs and none for pvp.. Plus ranged warfare is way op compared to ranged, etc, etc etc. These may be fixed some time maybe.

Originally posted by Brisky29

To each their own. 

I agree with the OP for the most part. This game has an immersion factor that has been missing in nearly all the mmo's I've tried since vanilla WoW. Its all about the journey. 

Perhaps new and shiny will wear off, I don't know. In addition to WoW played AoC, Rift, Lotro, Swtor, Aion, Tera, FF14 (original launch and Reborn), Secret World, Neverwinter, probably a few others....and I said pretty much the same thing, the new would wear off and be done with em. 

It feels different this time, LOL. I keep sinking deeper and deeper into this game. I just may be addicted to an mmo again for the first time since Burning Crusade. 

Dude it's the same with me , BC WoW was the last mmo I thoroughly enjoyed. What am I doing wrong if I can't enjoy the progression here? :D

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I agree with you op - there are a few knit picks I have with the game, but overall it's the most engaging mmo I've played since EQ. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

This is what I am waiting to see.

Will it go the way every MMO since WoW's launch has gone without exception? Or will it start a new trend that hasn't been done yet? I remain hopeful yet doubtful at the same time. I don't believe the game will continue like gangbusters just because of the history of the genre, but I'm rooting for it to break that mold as well.

• CeldrynCeldryn Member Posts: 84

Agreed,

I feel like I'm actually apart of the world, the maps are open and wide and full of tons of stuff just waiting to be seen and experienced. The quests are very well done in ESO. Plus, gath damn Cyrodil is fun haha.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Originally posted by keithian

yea, but the majority of people are always ensared by the rose colored glasses effect in their first month or two months of gaming. this is why you always see a drastic drop in amount of players around month 3 of subscriptions, because thats when they realize they've been fooling themselves that they've been playing a near flawless game.

True, that is a typical scenario, but instead of assuming that will happen, because we know what assume does, that maybe the game will do a little better than others because it just is a good game to be followed by solid subsequent content releases. Maybe? I agree with you though that I fell into that trap with TOR...first month, thought it was solid. By month 3 level 48 just couldn't log in. Regardless I haven't had this much urge to log in since WOW beta.

There Is Always Hope!

• WikileaksEUWikileaksEU Member UncommonPosts: 108
    One of the best mmorpgs since Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and Guild Wars.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Warjin

So it's been about a week of play for me, I have a level 21 DC Templar and I must say my time playing ESO has be one of the most immersive and engaging MMORPG experiences I have ever played, the story and the connection I have with my character is something I have not had in a very long time, the level of detail to this game is astounding, the pace of character progression is perfect IMO, every upgrade I feel stronger, look better and in a sense play better as a result.

I must admit when this game first was announced I payed it no mind thinking it would be just another MMO banking on a killer IP to make a fast buck, but man O man I was wrong, if you take the time to engage yourself into this world you will be lost in a virtual reality unlike any MMO before it, and that is saying a lot coming from me, I been around the MMO world sense day one 1998.

ESO drags me into the world like the early World of Warcraft did, needless to say I played WoW for 7 years because of this, If ESO can keep up the content they have me for a long time.

What are your thoughts of ESO is far?

I am enjoying the game but i have learned to be realistic and i know i won't be playing it for many years. People get excited when new MMOS come out and when it fizzles out they jump ship to new MMO and its rinse and repeat all over again.

So yeah i never 'plan' on how many days i am gonna play.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Oh warjin lol

I have always enjoyed your enthusiastic posts on every major release.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

There have been only 2 great MMORPGs for me.

World of Warcraft

Guild Wars 1

Those two games are my all time favourite games. They were just brilliant, especially WoW!

ESO might be up there but not sure yet. I am enjoying myself but I usually log off after an hour or two even if I have more time to play. Unlike when I was playing WoW. I couldn't stop playing that game.

Only time will tell if it's good or not and if will become my third most favourite MMO of all time.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

We're pretty much in the same boots, you should give black desert some more attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNtB5DoJ6OI

The (pretty much western) style buildings and characters, the insane mechanics, the sandoxiness, the more you learn about the more angry you get that how long it'd take to publish the game in the west..

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I'm surprised that the game (in general) is been well received. I thought it was a soulless game with poor combat mechanics, but a lot of people seem to like it, just shows you what I know...
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    I'm surprised that the game (in general) is been well received. I thought it was a soulless game with poor combat mechanics, but a lot of people seem to like it, just shows you what I know...

The game hasn't been received all that well. Lots of valid complaints are constantly cropping up from the woodworks everyday. If you wanna see a game that was received well in its opening, look at Rift.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99

I'm definitely giving it the old college try, but I am feeling pretty mixed. I think my primary complaint is that areas are waaaay too crowded so everything is getting ransacked ahead of me. For the first time ever I've actually wished for more instancing!

And, as others have said, the combat is horrific.

• gonewildgonewild Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Experienced mmorpg players never start judging a game from a week of playthrough but after 1 month or more.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I liked it at first ,but the more i played the more i wanted to experience an Elder Scrolls world done right , so i reinstalled Skyrim and unistalled  ESO ...they made a decent game , but Elder Scrolls it is not...
  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Good for you OP, dont let others discourage you from having fun and expressing so.  It's perfectly ok for people to express how much they dislike the game, whether they even own the game or not.  But yet expressing that you enjoy a game, it's somehow a crime.

Don't get bullied for saying good things about a game.  I've enjoyed most of every game I've played, including the disaster that was Vanguard.  It's really not about how long you play a MMO anymore, as I doubt there are that many people who stick with 1 game for "years" like people used to with EQ, DAOC, AC, etc..  Those days seem to be over, for one reason or another.  So I find it laughable how much people want to pee in this guy's parade for stating how much he's enjoying the game.

Who gives a rats behind how long he's gonna enjoy this game for?  And since when is GW2 a failure just because it didn't break any records or knock certain games off the throne?  People are watching game of thrones too much.  They are games successful in their own ways, and they are making A LOT of their fanbase happy.  If ESO hadn't launched I would've been playing GW2.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Teala
    OP says this about every game that comes out.  I remember your post about how GW2 would bring the ruin of WoW and how great it was - you made wild predictions about its future.   Or how about how SWToR would be the number 1 MMORPG, and how WoW was going to die and SWToR was the game that was going to do it.   Yep.    Predictable behavior.   New game..."it's the greatest thing since..."...well at least until the release of the next AAA game.   :)

I do try to see the good in games, but as I said if the game fails to keep up the engagement then it will fail in my eyes, as for GW2 and Swtor those games had and still have a lot going for them but not in the direction that fits my needs so I moved on.

What I look for in a MMO is not what the average todays MMO player looks for, I look for character progression first, then I look for the level of detail and lore in the world, how immersive the game is, after that I look for content updates and how well the dev hear the players out, and large open PvP, no time limits just a large plot on land for my character to go hunting or get hunted all day everday, this is why I loved Old school WOW and Asheron's Call Darktide back in the day.

Most MMO players today want quest hubs with instant dung & raids (pretty much a 3D MOBA) with little to no immerive factor, most MMO players today are not role players but just social gamers looking for a way to stroke there ego in a game, this is why I left WOW, the players killed the game for me and WOW's DEV team started to catered to those players forgetting the reason why the made the game in the first place.

I really did think Swtor was going to over take WOW and trust me many people thought the same thing, well I guess I was wrong, it happens, Swtor could of became number 1 if they had a better engine and content lined up for months and if they could of made Illum work, the engine killed it for a lot of players, they did fix most of the problems but by then it was to late, WoW's MOP came out Bioware lost money and had to cut half the dev team so save Swtor and they did with F2P. (Swtor is still a great game for any Star Wars Fan, I still pop in from time to time)

I really don't think I said GW2 would ruin WOW, correct me if I am wrong feel free to dig up the old post, anyways GW2 is a great game but I lost interest in playing because I did'nt feel the character progression that I needed to keep me hooked, I hated the temp content and felt that at level 80 your upgrades to gear was minimal at best, I did and do love the PvP though, some of the best BG or SPVP I had was in that game, WvW was OK for me but got old fast didnt have the worldly feel I was looking for so I just stick with SPVP in GW2. (I still play GW2 from time to time, but mostly to SPVP)

ESO to me has all the right elements to keep me playing from what I seen so far and from what I am reading is to come, ESO has the right, Lore, Immerive factor, character progression, massive world PvP (that worldly feel I was taking about), dung, raids coming, story content up the ass (Voice Over at that) and a twitch-ish style combat system (A BIG +).

Will ESO be King? Well I never said that, will it do well? Yes for sure, just well as Swtor and Gw2 if not better IMO.

I'll make my prediction here for ya, ESO will have at least 2 million subs when all platforms versions are released for sure, and the reason is simple, ESO is the only MMO on the market that is playable on 4 platforms, PC, MAC, PS4 and XBOX One.

• ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    I will probably pick it up and try it out when it hits the bargain bin for $20-$30 or goes F2P. Atleast by then they will have more content and lots of bug fixes.