Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imagine EA drops 100 million $ more into the live game

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

... and takes it offline for a whole year for a revamp.

Which changes and additions would you expect for a massive comeback?

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi
    None. EA is not a Japanese company like Square-Enix and doesn't give two shits about "saving face". So it won't happen.

Hmm.... Don't know why but I am still hoping someone at EA will pull a Final Fantasy and add 110% more Star Wars feeling, immersion and cinematic experience.  100 $ million for major revamps, polishing and expanding ground and space gameplay and it could be a total winner relaunch.

Star Citizen is made with 42 million $, now imagine what SWTOR could become with an additional investment of 100 million $

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Hummmm..... TESO But with Lightsabers...... I'm In!!!!

• ArtwolfArtwolf Member UncommonPosts: 48

The flow of the game feels rough to me/rigid, so i'm not sure what the adjust would be - but I would look to GW2, WoW, FF level of slick in the motions and flow of combat.

The systems they are adding after the fact don't seem to have much cohesion and work with what they currently have in order to improve the game overall. For instance, integrate the space combat with crafting, allow ships to be built, parts to be built.

I was going to type more, but honestly I could on and on here. I like SWTOR to keep a sub and play here and there, but to say I am not hugely disappointed with how it turned out and the cash-shop-happy direction it went/going would be a lie.

I guess to answer your question - if they were going to go into the trouble to shut it down for a reboot IMO they would need to re-imagine the entire thing for the most part. WoW with cinematic quest text is occasionally fun tho.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Chris Roberts is doing what I was hoping was going to be done in this game, didn't follow this game so I thought there was going to fully explorable space with epic star destroyer battles.
  • GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    EA doesn't spend money on released games unless its to publish an expansion so I can't even play your 'what if?' game because it falls so far outside of my perceived notion of reality.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    What's done is done and cannot be undone.

No amount of money could really change it, would need to be tossed out and a new title created.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    Yeah that 100 mil would be wasted, SWTOR is what it is, if anything the money should be used on a SWTOR 2 game that advances the storyline is better set up and like Mass Effect gives you bonuses for importing your old characters :)
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Nothing. They need to start fresh with a new game engine or create their own. 100 million would do nothing but provide additional content in a crappy engine.
     I've been here a while...
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The main tangible non subjective issue with SWTOR is the optimisation of the engine it uses - it is absolutely terrible. For e.g on my 3 year old setup, SWTOR is the only game that I have fps issues with, most games I play at high with low shadows, on swtor I was low everything and fps jerked all over the place,- and that's with painted on backgrounds and a severely restricted map. Shockingly Bad game based on that alone.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Fenrir767
    Yeah that 100 mil would be wasted, SWTOR is what it is, if anything the money should be used on a SWTOR 2 game that advances the storyline is better set up and like Mass Effect gives you bonuses for importing your old characters :)

There is not going to be a SWTOR 2, as this MMO is meant to cater to all The Old Republic content.

"We're making KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and beyond--this game is that big, it's got that much content in it," explained BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka. "It's very innovative--it's story based."

and be around at least 10 years

If we have to wait until 2022 for SWTOR and it gets another cash injection then SWTOR needs a revamp, and especially after playing TESO, which has been beautifully created with love and care, and makes exploring a pleasure, and it makes SWTOR look a clown of a MMO. SWG took my breath away with some of its scenery, LOTRO graphics took my breath away, and now does The Elder Scrolls Online. SWTOR graphics does nothing but make me cringe.

The things that need changing in SWTOR are the graphics to be less cartoony, the worlds need to be expanded and remove all the exhaustion zones, and make the worlds more lively.

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    The main issue I have with even trying to fathom something like this, in the wildest of my dreams, is because money spent was never the issue.  It was how it was spent.  Dumping more money into the game I'm not convinced they would spend it the right way.  Honestly, some of the best content additions have been coming with them having a lot less money.  Interesting how that works.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Gdemami

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's broke... It's sooooo broke..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    throwing 100 million dollars at a turd dosent make it a gem, just a really polished turd.  They could spend the 100mil on a much better game engine and start from scratch and id even suggest they watch the movies and animated series before making the game....
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by superniceguy

There is not going to be a SWTOR 2, as this MMO is meant to cater to all The Old Republic content.

"We're making KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and beyond--this game is that big, it's got that much content in it," explained BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka. "It's very innovative--it's story based."

If we have to wait until 2022 for SWTOR and it gets another cash injection then SWTOR needs a revamp, and especially after playing TESO, which has been beautifully created with love and care, and makes exploring a pleasure, and it makes SWTOR look a clown of a MMO. SWG took my breath away with some of its scenery, LOTRO graphics took my breath away, and now does The Elder Scrolls Online. SWTOR graphics does nothing but make me cringe.

The things that need changing in SWTOR are the graphics to be less cartoony, the worlds need to be expanded and remove all the exhaustion zones, and make the worlds more lively.

You forgot less static cut scenes , o wait the new ones aren't static and SWTOR cartoony ? Hm you must have played a different game than myself. At least they have made the cut scenes better that's what you wanted and a few others on here. You should check it out and btw they change the graphics on a regular basis. I always see changes.

As to the OP they probably have put in a lot of money over the two or so years , so not sure what closing it down and revamping it would do at this point. So no I think leave as is please.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Originally posted by BadOrb

You forgot less static cut scenes , o wait the new ones aren't static and SWTOR cartoony ? Hm you must have played a different game than myself. At least they have made the cut scenes better that's what you wanted and a few others on here. You should check it out and btw they change the graphics on a regular basis. I always see changes.

As to the OP they probably have put in a lot of money over the two or so years , so not sure what closing it down and revamping it would do at this point. So no I think leave as is please.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I did not say it was a cartoon, I said it was cartoony - SWTOR is half realistic and half cartoon, therefore cartoony. The graphics are certainly blocky and mostly duplicated everywhere. There is zero cartoon traits in TESO, and there was none in SWG, and also none in LOTRO.

I do not care too much for cut scenes in MMOs. It is much better that the NPCs interact and move with you (and others) within the game world, which TESO (and LOTRO) does more. In TESO it seems that NPCs are only in certain places for you if you have or have not done the quests. While others can see a NPC, you will not if you have done the NPCs quest, which I find to be quite smart.

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by Datastar
    throwing 100 million dollars at a turd dosent make it a gem, just a really polished turd.  They could spend the 100mil on a much better game engine and start from scratch and id even suggest they watch the movies and animated series before making the game....

Hi Shawnhargrave I was wondering when you would show up

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I did not say it was a cartoon, I said it was cartoony - SWTOR is half realistic and half cartoon, therefore cartoony. The graphics are certainly blocky and mostly duplicated everywhere. There is zero cartoon traits in TESO, and there was none in SWG, and also none in LOTRO.

I do not care too much for cut scenes in MMOs. It is much better that the NPCs interact and move with you (and others) within the game world, which TESO (and LOTRO) does more. In TESO it seems that NPCs are only in certain places for you if you have or have not done the quests. While others can see a NPC, you will not if you have done the NPCs quest, which I find to be quite smart.

Since its half cartoony and half realistic so why not realistic?  your post makes no sense.

Swtor has its own art style and TESO is well based on ES.

Its like comparing apple with oranges. 

Originally posted by Zalmon

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Since its half cartoony and half realistic so why not realistic?  your post makes no sense.

Because it is not realistic enough to take seriosuly. SWG was not half baked, nor was LOTRO or TESO, so why should SWTOR be? Even KOTOR was not cartoony either.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Because it is not realistic enough to take seriosuly. SWG was not half baked, nor was LOTRO or TESO, so why should SWTOR be? Even KOTOR was not cartoony either.

I said SWTOR cartoony ? So not sure why you corrected me. Anyway I don't see it to be a single bit cartoony at all. I thought you where one of the ones that wanted less static cut scenes in SWTOR. O well maybe it was other people and yes it was a few on here. I had heard the ESO NPC cut scenes are static too , only what i read. You can only take fantasy and / or sci-fi serious to a certain extent. I too am not keen on cartoony graphics in MMO's , hence why I am avoiding Wildstar.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I don't take even realistic looking MMOS seriously. Its a game after all, you are not supposed to take it too seriously.

But only because a game is stylised and not ultra realistic somehow renders it less serious is some weird logic.

I still don't see why SWTOR is beinf compared to TESO though... just 'because' i guess.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Honestly they should just dump the 100 mill into a brand new Star Wars game. Changing SWTOR into a non WoW clone would be too costly a hassle which could still end up garbage due to the games sub par foundation. In short, throwing more money at this game would make about as much sense as throwing it at Vanguard at this point.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I said SWTOR cartoony ? So not sure why you corrected me. Anyway I don't see it to be a single bit cartoony at all. I thought you where one of the ones that wanted less static cut scenes in SWTOR. O well maybe it was other people and yes it was a few on here. I had heard the ESO NPC cut scenes are static too , only what i read. You can only take fantasy and / or sci-fi serious to a certain extent. I too am not keen on cartoony graphics in MMO's , hence why I am avoiding Wildstar.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I remember him arguing for pages how TSW cutscenes are not static and how he prefers that. And now he prefers TESO style of storytelling.

He just changes tune according to convenience to put down SWTOR.

So far he has compared SWTOR with STO and declared that STO iis a better game.

Then comparison was made with TSW ..same result.

And now he is riding on TESO bandwagon... soon it will be wildstar and so on.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Wildstar looks similar to SWTOR graphics wise.

The more I play SWTOR the more realistic it seems, but then play something else like TESO, and then you realise how cartoony SWTOR really is.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by DocBrody

sandbox.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"