Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Lore of any Game

AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I have played many, many games. This game without doubt has the best lore and racial qualities of any game I have played. If you take the time and read books, and most important, not skip through the npc dialogue, it is an amazing adventure. Coupled with the types of classes and the gear, the PvP is the best I have ever played.  

I liked the game at first, but I am loving it the more I get into it! I just hit level 15 and have 1 day 23 hours playtime. 

I don't recommend the game for impatient players that want to get to end game. I do recommend it to mature mmorpg fans that can take the time to discover Tamriel.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Comments

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    agreed.  I still have trouble at times fully understanding all of creation and the different gods and their stories, etc.  And all the different religions and so forth.
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    I still give the Lore banner to D&D personally, but I may be biased.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I finished Auridon yesterday, and it was a good time, with a nice climactic ending.  Can't say that for most MMOs.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

As much as i enjoy the game and reading random books scattered all over the ESO world... for me personally best lore award still goes to EQ and EQ2.

For me nothing else has every come close.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

As much as i enjoy the game and reading random books scattered all over the ESO world... for me personally best lore award still goes to EQ and EQ2.

EQ has a really amazing story and lore if you take the time to read it. There is so much about the EQ universe that interests me. ESO is almost as good if not as good though imo. It's really close.

I'd recommend reading up on the EQ1 and 2 timeline/story if anyone played those and hasn't read it before. It provides a great read.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

EQ and EQ2 had a lot going for it, but I didn't feel it was so much the lore as all the content. Especially after all those expansions!

The voice acting in this game really helps giving the characters a little more of a personal and immersive quality though. I really love stopping from questing and just exploring each container and item hoping for something good to pop up. It adds another dimension to games I have been waiting for. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

To me it isn't a matter of who's lore is better (as that is a matter opinion) but that the game ACTUALLY tells you the lore!

I played Wow for years off and on and barely had a %#$&ing idea of what the lore was. I constantly read on the forums people swooning over Wow lore and when I ask where the hell they learned of it they always replied: " Novels, lore websites, wikis, etc, etc ...". I would always respond with, "Then why isn't ANY of this information actually IN THE GAME I AM PLAYING?"

ESO is soaked in lore! I pick up a quest and there is often twice the amount of lore through additional conversation not even required for the quest. I then can talk to npcs who tell me far more information of the area story. I can find notes and books about further informing me of both TES and local area lore. Lore is everywhere and relevant to what you are actually doing ... not information on uber powerful leaders (that stand 3 feet taller than you for some unknown reason) from stories outside of the game.

Even the little public dungeons have their own little stories often bound to the region and it's inhabitants that is many times more interesting than "it's a spawn area for baddies therefore they also have their local obligatory dungeon".

You stay sassy!

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

LOTRO told me to tell you to be careful with your claims next time.

..Cake..

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I have played many, many games. This game without doubt has the best lore and racial qualities of any game I have played. If you take the time and read books, and most important, not skip through the npc dialogue, it is an amazing adventure. Coupled with the types of classes and the gear, the PvP is the best I have ever played.  

I liked the game at first, but I am loving it the more I get into it! I just hit level 15 and have 1 day 23 hours playtime. 

I don't recommend the game for impatient players that want to get to end game. I do recommend it to mature mmorpg fans that can take the time to discover Tamriel.

100% agree with this, most in depth lore put into a game I have seen in a very very long time.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Warhammer 40.000... EVE-Online....Witcher.... Stalker.... Star Wars The Old Republic...Star Trek Online... the list goes on and on because TES is a great game series but its lore has never been a strong suit (granted it is in depth almost to the degree of Warhammer 40k but nothing really original about it).

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by sgel

As I mentioned earlier it isn't about who's is best but how it is told. The very best thing about Lotro story telling is the main main story arc but outside that the game falls into the usual quest hub game. There is very little story learned outside of reading traditional quest scripts. Lotro was a big step up at the time for story telling (without forcing you into voice over linear story arcs like Swtor) but ESO mixes the style of story telling very well and additionally adds tons more through books, letters and non-quest npc chat.

I do like TES lore though as it is a more realistic high fantasy influenced heavily by real world history which I am also a hobby of mine. One can always argue that far older IPs based on traditional novel format (and movies) is better and deeper but for a lore developed solely off of video games TES is rich and deep if one is willing to learn it.

I believe the entire point to TES is that it is familiar fantasy and easy to jump into. So many games go out of their way to be original that you end up with painfully limited choices for a "normal" fantasy game.

You stay sassy!

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by sgel

As I mentioned earlier it isn't about who's is best but how it is told.

What if I told you that that how is relative to the person in each game genre in part ( the type of exposition you like in a tactical 3rd person RPG isn't the same as you would like it in a first person RPG, both of which differ from how I like it ) so saying one or the other is objectively best based purely on how popular it is isn't correct ( otherwise on sheer popularity alone the lore of the Twilight saga rank well in literary terms ).

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Tamanous

To me it isn't a matter of who's lore is better (as that is a matter opinion) but that the game ACTUALLY tells you the lore!

I played Wow for years off and on and barely had a %#$&ing idea of what the lore was. I constantly read on the forums people swooning over Wow lore and when I ask where the hell they learned of it they always replied: " Novels, lore websites, wikis, etc, etc ...". I would always respond with, "Then why isn't ANY of this information actually IN THE GAME I AM PLAYING?"

ESO is soaked in lore! I pick up a quest and there is often twice the amount of lore through additional conversation not even required for the quest. I then can talk to npcs who tell me far more information of the area story. I can find notes and books about further informing me of both TES and local area lore. Lore is everywhere and relevant to what you are actually doing ... not information on uber powerful leaders (that stand 3 feet taller than you for some unknown reason) from stories outside of the game.

Even the little public dungeons have their own little stories often bound to the region and it's inhabitants that is many times more interesting than "it's a spawn area for baddies therefore they also have their local obligatory dungeon".

A lot of the Warcraft lore was created way before World of Warcraf. There is also tons of lore in WoW. Have you read all the quests/books in WoW? 

I loved WoW and I thought it had one of the most interesting universes and the lore was amazing. But again if you are not a warcraft fan it can be difficult to appreciate.

The same can be said for TESO. I just came across a book that talks about Nerevar and the tribunal. You would never realise the real significance of this if you haven't played Morrowind. Why? Because all the events in Morrowind happened 750 years later than TESO so it's impossible for TESO to tell you what happened. There is probably loads more that you probably wouldn't understand if you haven't played the 5 Elder Scrolls games before ESO.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.