Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do melee weapons affect spell dmg?

2»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Something unrealistic in a video game? Who would have thunk it. We all know a twig or walking stick is far more magical than an axe.....

Ideals still need to be plausible,otherwise why not have a Mack Truck come out of a sword or a tractor trailer come flying out of a staff?I hope those over the top ridiculous ideas prove that ideals DO need to be plausible.

As for magical weapons,they would have a magical property,that does not make it plausible that they would ALSO reinforce magical spells.Example a fiery axe would do additional fire damage but doesn't mean it would or even should boost fire spells.

As far as Fantasy/mythology goes,i think it widely accepted that magic is reinforced by staves or wands and nothing else.

Yes melee means close proximity but it is also a term used for weapons that WOULD be melee'd,staves and wands are usually used by casters from a distance and do not usually melee,hence why all weapons other than wands and staves are considered melee weapons,well aside from ranged such as bows,xbows,slings ect ect.

Personally i wouldn't lose sleep over it but i would also prefer that ideals remain plausible and that not every single item in a game reinforces magical spells.

"plausible" in a game with magic?

It is easy to just make up some mumbo jumbo about focus, magic imbued weapon, and what-not. If a leg can throw lightning, it certainly can increase your spell power.

And what is the problem if every single item reinforces magic spells? It is a magical world, anything can happen as long as the dev says so.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,103

It's not just melee weapons, it's all weapons.  The reason it's done this way is because it's much easier to balance and much easier to accommodate hybridization in class design.  Whereas in the past most spell casters have no real way to grow their spell damage other through Spell Power which leads to unwieldy stats (large ass numbers) and unneeded stats (weapon damage).

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,103

Originally posted by zymurgeist Something unrealistic in a video game? Who would have thunk it. We all know a twig or walking stick is far more magical than an axe.....
    Ideals still need to be plausible,otherwise why not have a Mack Truck come out of a sword or a tractor trailer come flying out of a staff?I hope those over the top ridiculous ideas prove that ideals DO need to be plausible. As for magical weapons,they would have a magical property,that does not make it plausible that they would ALSO reinforce magical spells.Example a fiery axe would do additional fire damage but doesn't mean it would or even should boost fire spells. As far as Fantasy/mythology goes,i think it widely accepted that magic is reinforced by staves or wands and nothing else. Yes melee means close proximity but it is also a term used for weapons that WOULD be melee'd,staves and wands are usually used by casters from a distance and do not usually melee,hence why all weapons other than wands and staves are considered melee weapons,well aside from ranged such as bows,xbows,slings ect ect. Personally i wouldn't lose sleep over it but i would also prefer that ideals remain plausible and that not every single item in a game reinforces magical spells.

So it's perfectly plausible for you to have 2 weapons look like this:

http://wod.wowhead.com/item=111123

and

http://wod.wowhead.com/item=108149

Yet one of them doesn't take advantage of their stats?

I think it's unplausible and unrealistic to have different rules for different weapons, ontop of having a harder time to balance and increase magic effectiveness. Without using some unplausible (like growing exponential numbers of statflation) to balance the same power growth from power level to power level without using weapon modifyers. The simplest and easiest way to balance the classes IMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• zymurgeistzymurgeist Member RarePosts: 5,484
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Something unrealistic in a video game? Who would have thunk it. We all know a twig or walking stick is far more magical than an axe.....

Ideals still need to be plausible,otherwise why not have a Mack Truck come out of a sword or a tractor trailer come flying out of a staff?I hope those over the top ridiculous ideas prove that ideals DO need to be plausible.

As for magical weapons,they would have a magical property,that does not make it plausible that they would ALSO reinforce magical spells.Example a fiery axe would do additional fire damage but doesn't mean it would or even should boost fire spells.

As far as Fantasy/mythology goes,i think it widely accepted that magic is reinforced by staves or wands and nothing else.

Yes melee means close proximity but it is also a term used for weapons that WOULD be melee'd,staves and wands are usually used by casters from a distance and do not usually melee,hence why all weapons other than wands and staves are considered melee weapons,well aside from ranged such as bows,xbows,slings ect ect.

Personally i wouldn't lose sleep over it but i would also prefer that ideals remain plausible and that not every single item in a game reinforces magical spells.

How is a stave not a melee weapon? Friar Tuck anyone? Does blood as souls for my lord Arioch ring any bells?  Witches don't use daggers to cast spells? That's a really narrow view of fantasy.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." ~Pogo Possum.