Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And its down again...

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Mpfive
    You can't bloody win, moaning over broken quests, moaning that they are getting fixed, welcome to MMORPG;)

Say nothing, and expect nothing is the alternative?  not following, since devs and customer service reps for multitudes of companies read the garbage we spew.  Companies acknowledge this site regularly ... so not sure what you are "moaning" about?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Mpfive
    You can't bloody win, moaning over broken quests, moaning that they are getting fixed, welcome to MMORPG;)

Say nothing, and expect nothing is the alternative?  not following, since devs and customer service reps for multitudes of companies read the garbage we spew.  Companies acknowledge this site regularly ... so not sure what you are "moaning" about?

+1

• kage71kage71 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Nyghthowler
    Originally posted by asmkm22

The game hasn't even launched yet...

I'd pay money to see some of you guys back during WoW's first 6 months.

I don't mind maintenance as long stuff is fixed but stop using WOW as an example. It was almost 9 years ago and we have come a long way since then in terms technology and hardware.

If they are fixing bugs, its all good. But NOTHING changes the fact that WoW has to be one of the WORST all time launches of a AAA MMO in the last decade. Not saying they didn't fix the issues, but the first month was a joke!

I guess you didn't understand what i was saying.. WOW was 9 years ago. It is kind of irrelevant given the improvement in hardware since then. The biggest issue WOW had was that they underestimated the amount of players who would be playing their game which was a lot more than they ever anticipated.

But like i said that was 9 years ago..who even cares anymore.

Yeah I can attest to that, WoW / Blizzard stopped selling retail boxes in 2004 / 2005 because of a huge influx of players.  This, naturally, only increased demand, as everyone saw this game as a must have .. which then furthered demand.

I went to 5 different stored back then to finally get a boxed copy.  It was an offbeat store too that had it.

Many regard that as a game of huge innovation.  Actually, it was.

Where did you come up with those dates from dude? WoW didn't do anywhere near well until about after 2005-06 after marketing during Christmas and blowing up everyone television with ads all over the place. I remember playing beta and playing the game on release and it was a horrid joke the game was released in the last part of 04 and 05 they were not doing any better. Their change in marketing is the only thing that increased their numbers and these numbers didn't see an increased until after the holidays of 05.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

WoW was launched 10 years ago though. And not many had broadband connections back in the day. Server hardware was at least 5 times more expensive and not to mention the bandwidth alone. So what WoW did 10 years ago was a freaking engineering achievement. TESO isn't. 

My experience with TESO has been very smooth, to be honest.  There was one beta that had a lot of crashes during the first day (funny stuff like people dying when they jumped onto the anchor to get out of the first dungeon, causing a CTD), and a few of the stress tests had slow logins, but the Bethesda has done a very good job with general stability all-in-all.

I certainly see people complaining about some issues, but that's also sort of the nature of the internet.  If 800k people are have signed up, and .01 percent of them are having issues, that's still 8,000 people complaining on various forums.  Those issues will get addressed, and it's unfortunate that some people are even having them in the first place, but that's just life sometimes.

But again, the game is actually performing very well.  We'll see how that changes when it's officially released, and not just limited to the early access people.  

There are books on the topic nowadays though. About designing and handling huge load servers. Tons of papers from various universities around the world, models and load balancers. The nature of the "megaserver" with its sub-shards makes the load balance a reality. 

Neverwinter had a smooth launch and its a F2P title. If a F2P company can make it, I don't see why a company with a larger capital wouldn't be able tbh. Not to mention that the talent in ZeniMax is probably full of game dev veterans. Shit like that should not happen. 

• DeathFromAboveDeathFromAbove Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Regarless of everything, l'm having a blast playing this game. Yes is going to have bugs at the beginning but l'm having to much fun to let it bother me. To me is a beatiful game.
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Yeah I'm so fuckin pissed off. just built a new computer for this game and bought the stinkin thing at wal-mart, pre ordered. 3 day early access and I work Nights, get off at 2 AM and haven't been able to play at all yet due to server being down everytime I want to play. I'm so Fucking PissEd Off!

Aargh!

Originally posted by Moar61

Well to be fair they did warn us about this one. 2am here anyways so time for bed!

Almost became Emperor tonight... almost.

Fuck Bed I wanna play. Havent got to play yet! I'm so pissed right now I can't sleep!

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

WoW was launched 10 years ago though. And not many had broadband connections back in the day. Server hardware was at least 5 times more expensive and not to mention the bandwidth alone. So what WoW did 10 years ago was a freaking engineering achievement. TESO isn't. 

My experience with TESO has been very smooth, to be honest.  There was one beta that had a lot of crashes during the first day (funny stuff like people dying when they jumped onto the anchor to get out of the first dungeon, causing a CTD), and a few of the stress tests had slow logins, but the Bethesda has done a very good job with general stability all-in-all.

I certainly see people complaining about some issues, but that's also sort of the nature of the internet.  If 800k people are have signed up, and .01 percent of them are having issues, that's still 8,000 people complaining on various forums.  Those issues will get addressed, and it's unfortunate that some people are even having them in the first place, but that's just life sometimes.

But again, the game is actually performing very well.  We'll see how that changes when it's officially released, and not just limited to the early access people.  

There are books on the topic nowadays though. About designing and handling huge load servers. Tons of papers from various universities around the world, models and load balancers. The nature of the "megaserver" with its sub-shards makes the load balance a reality. 

Neverwinter had a smooth launch and its a F2P title. If a F2P company can make it, I don't see why a company with a larger capital wouldn't be able tbh. Not to mention that the talent in ZeniMax is probably full of game dev veterans. Shit like that should not happen. 

I don't know.  I work in the industry (servers and clusters, not games) and it's very easy to draw inaccurate conclusions between two similar but still different scenarios.

More to the point, I haven't seen anything recently to suggest that Bethesda is having any trouble with the hardware, instances, or databases in use.  Things like tonight's downtime were not related to crashes or overloads (I was playing and things were running along just fine without a complain in zone chat).

The game could have some flawed designs in place, prompting last-minute patches before the official release, that's a completely different set of problems (and fixes).

And as for Neverwinter... it had a smooth launch because it attracted a minimal playerbase.  It's largely made of up people who play just a little at a time, so of course they had no problem keeping up.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by baphamet

it's just launch, all these issues will get worked out.

still a pretty good launch overall IMO

It hasn't launched yet! ....

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322
    looks like to be safe we have to play on both servers.
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    It is crazy how different experiences people has with this game.

Some claiming one of the most smoothest launches.

I cannot login with my account at all. I can login fine on the website, but if I try to login in game it says my login is incorrect. I have the 3 day headstart but I cannot login

Not sure if it's related or not, but some people are trying to use their email address as their login, when they should be using their account name (not an email address).  It seems most common for people who were in beta, because there was a time when we did actually log in with our email address.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that in case the issue was something stupid.

And yes most likely people who can't log in are simply not smarter than the shit they operate. Kinda like the thousands who are complaining about losing their pre-order items after deleting their first character without socking the items in the bank or simply to stupid to NOt "Claim" them in the first place till they get a char they are sure they are gonna keep. Morons are abundant these days and growing ever more so!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by kage71
    Originally posted by Nyghthowler

I don't mind maintenance as long stuff is fixed but stop using WOW as an example. It was almost 9 years ago and we have come a long way since then in terms technology and hardware.

If they are fixing bugs, its all good. But NOTHING changes the fact that WoW has to be one of the WORST all time launches of a AAA MMO in the last decade. Not saying they didn't fix the issues, but the first month was a joke!

I guess you didn't understand what i was saying.. WOW was 9 years ago. It is kind of irrelevant given the improvement in hardware since then. The biggest issue WOW had was that they underestimated the amount of players who would be playing their game which was a lot more than they ever anticipated.

But like i said that was 9 years ago..who even cares anymore.

Yeah I can attest to that, WoW / Blizzard stopped selling retail boxes in 2004 / 2005 because of a huge influx of players.  This, naturally, only increased demand, as everyone saw this game as a must have .. which then furthered demand.

I went to 5 different stored back then to finally get a boxed copy.  It was an offbeat store too that had it.

Many regard that as a game of huge innovation.  Actually, it was.

Where did you come up with those dates from dude? WoW didn't do anywhere near well until about after 2005-06 after marketing during Christmas and blowing up everyone television with ads all over the place. I remember playing beta and playing the game on release and it was a horrid joke the game was released in the last part of 04 and 05 they were not doing any better. Their change in marketing is the only thing that increased their numbers and these numbers didn't see an increased until after the holidays of 05.

History dude.  A powerful ally.  There was a rush and limited sales in 2004 / 2005.  Game was hard to find during that time.

November 23, 2004  - World of Warcraft launches in North America, Australia and New Zealand

http://wowpedia.org/Timeline_%28World_of_Warcraft%29

My initial experience with WoW was terrific, so apparently your mileage varied.  The release was rough, but patched well, and when you submitted a ticket .. what's that?  you actually got to talk in-game with a GM .. imagine that.  Piss all you want, but little things like that made peoples day.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Wrender

Yeah I'm so fuckin pissed off. just built a new computer for this game and bought the stinkin thing at wal-mart, pre ordered. 3 day early access and I work Nights, get off at 2 AM and haven't been able to play at all yet due to server being down everytime I want to play. I'm so Fucking PissEd Off!

Aargh!

Hehe I am with you.

I just wanted to play this morning, and BAM server down.

I NEED MY FIX! XD

*presses website refresh every 2 min*

God, I guess I talked myself into a hype now. When the heck did THAT happen? >.<

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• M0rbidM0rbid Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Asheram
    Originally posted by LuposDavalte

This has probably been the smoothest MMO launch I've been part of.  A small amount of downtime to fix a few bugs is completely reasonable at 2am.

Loving the game so far.

I would have to say Rift has that crown - at least their rifts worked

Lol...how soon we forget: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/25/rifts-headstart-is-standing-room-only/

To almost no one's surprise, Trion's RIFT head-start was an exercise in multitasking for many would-be players. MMO launch-day veterans are probably familiar with the one-eye-on-the-queue and one-eye-on-something-more-productive routine by now, but for everyone else, the fact that a good portion of the day was spent not playing RIFT was a bit frustrating.

In some cases, estimated wait times approached 15 hours (though in fairness to the folks at Trion, the counters did fluctuate quite a bit). Demand was so great that a whopping 13 additional servers were addedaround noon, with 10 more going up as the day wore on.

Why is it that whenever someone highlights a failing on ESOs part you either attack and insult them or you pull the "XXX game was worse" excuse out of you ass?

Here you are linking posts putting RIFTs launch in a negative light, so WHAT? How many years ago was that now? Service imrproves over time. ESO should be judged by todays standards and expectations, not those from 2004 or 2008 or 2010....

You are at it again a few posts back, making excuses for ESOs failings by citing that GW2 had problems. So WHAT. We are not interested in other games launches, we are interested in ESOs launch and IT's problems.

Anyone can do what you do, it takes no thought or consideration....

"RIFT had such long queues because there were so many pre orders and so many people wanting to log in. With only 157k physical pre orders through out the whole of North Amercia, it's no wonder ESO doesnt have queues because hardly anyone bought it...."

See how easy that was? 

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

They had to take it down.  Some people were logging into their accounts, but had access to other people's characters.  So the emergency downtime was warranted.  You wouldn't want to be the one where your character got stripped by someone else logging in as you.

Just hoping they get it up all fixed and well.  I've got coffee, so still time to play :D

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• movros99movros99 Member UncommonPosts: 125

From ZOS_MichaelServotte:

"The maintenance occurring on the North American megaserver is still in progress. As soon as we will be able to communicate an ETA for the end of this operation, stay assured we will come share this information with you. Thank you for your patience."

Damm.  Game is so borked they don't know how long it will take to fix.  I guess I can go to bed now.  At least they're posting something.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/64331/north-american-megaserver-maintenance-4-2-14-01-00am-edt#latest

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Mardy

They had to take it down.  Some people were logging into their accounts, but had access to other people's characters.  

WHAT?

How the hell do you manage that!?

..Cake..

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    Originally posted by Elikal

Aargh!

Hehe I am with you.

I NEED MY FIX! XD

God, I guess I talked myself into a hype now. When the heck did THAT happen? >.<

Elikal, I find myself to be similar. I was literally just waiting and reading forums and investigating ESO before 5 day early. THEN I just had to get it, I began to get hyped badly and was like "well, I COULD get this 3 day early and be amazed I hope". So far, everything for me is great. I still have some coffee myself and am resisting sleep. When the heck did all this happen!?     ;  )

• mogilny89mogilny89 Member UncommonPosts: 32

Yes you "work in the industry" and see "nothing wrong" with their servers.

It took people 17 hours to get to level 50 using exploits, they tried to fix that and now people are logging in and getting other people's accounts.

Before the thing even officially launches it is a total train wreck.

Yeah, I dont see anything wrong either, sounds like everything is fine.  

So glad I didnt buy this game.  I will pick it up when its $20 probably, next week.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by chakalaka
    Originally posted by Elikal

Aargh!

Hehe I am with you.

I NEED MY FIX! XD

Elikal, I find myself to be similar. I was literally just waiting and reading forums and investigating ESO before 5 day early. THEN I just had to get it, I began to get hyped badly and was like "well, I COULD get this 3 day early and be amazed I hope". So far, everything for me is great. I still have some coffee myself and am resisting sleep. When the heck did all this happen!?     ;  )

A fresh new world, new opportunities, and I assume we are MMO addicts. I only didn't play the really bad MMOs. Teh.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• M0rbidM0rbid Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by Mardy

They had to take it down.  Some people were logging into their accounts, but had access to other people's characters.  So the emergency downtime was warranted.  You wouldn't want to be the one where your character got stripped by someone else logging in as you.

Just hoping they get it up all fixed and well.  I've got coffee, so still time to play :D

What!?!?!?!

Now THAT is a SERIOUS security issue.

The game should remain down until they can guarantee this is fixed. Makes a certain few posters who were bashing GW2s account security issues yesterday look extremely foolish.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by mogilny89

Yes you "work in the industry" and see "nothing wrong" with their servers.

It took people 17 hours to get to level 50 using exploits, they tried to fix that and now people are logging in and getting other people's accounts.

Before the thing even officially launches it is a total train wreck.

Yeah, I dont see anything wrong either, sounds like everything is fine.  

So glad I didnt buy this game.  I will pick it up when its $20 probably, next week.

You can watch the entire 17hrs of game play of that guy hitting level 50. He didn't exploit. He just got power leveled by doing group based content, stacking AoE heals and AoE attacks to burn mobs down quickly and getting the EXP bonus for fighting harder mobs. 

The game isn't great, but you don't need to lie about it. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Still looking to play the game. It's not a case of being locked out or anything, I just didn't believe they would get all the issues I experienced sorted out in time for launch.

Hey, been through beta's, pre-launches and full launches before. Know there's going to be some bugs around. Hell, I sat through the Neverwinter "open beta with cash shop" launch and that takes some beating.

Now I'm reading that some people are finding it ok, whilst others are struggling through a mass of still bugged quests that they are unable to complete. So it seems totally hit and miss, either through faction choice or possibly location maybe?

Unfortunately my experience was pretty bad even during final beta, so it was a case of wait and see. Hope they get things sorted out pretty quickly then I can dive in.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Originally posted by mogilny89

lol it's honestly your loss, I've been having a blast with my 5 day early access, don't regret it one bit at all.  Some people got max level in a day?  Been there, seen it, done that, happens to all MMO's where a bunch of beta testers spent their whole beta time figuring out the fastest way to level and the best ways to exploit.  Servers going down for patches & updates, before official launch?  Oh yeah, I knew what I signed up to when I got early access.  Surprisingly tonight was the first time I saw downtime, as I wasn't playing during previous downtimes.  So your mileage may vary depending on when you play, how often you play, etc..

So yeah, continue your "har har I didn't buy this game" speech, while I login later and keep having fun while you play the forum game.  Enjoy!

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• mogilny89mogilny89 Member UncommonPosts: 32

Has nothing to do with a "few bugs".

The entire system is flawed, broken and unstable.

The problems from the beta were just signs to what hacks are running (ruining) this game.  Nothing is fixed its worse, and it hasnt even launched yet.

I would like to still play the game but there is no way I am paying $50 for a broken game that has already been completely compromised by exploits.

What are they going to do? Change the whole system? and they what, the entire server is already corrupt, and constantly unstable.

Whatever they are doing this thing is built like the US economy, it just all smoke and mirrors.