Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadowrun Online: Early Access Begins on Steam

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Shadowrun Online has now officially entered its early access phase of development and can be played via the Steam gaming platform. The early access content includes a "prequel" to the upcoming full release version of the game.

This early prequel offers players an introduction to the combat of Shadowrun Online through PvP and four missions. New content and features will be added regularly with opportunities for players to directly influence development.

Set in a dystopian 2075, when man meets magic and melds with machinery, you and your friends will take on the riskiest jobs to face the most treacherous enemies. Live your life on the edge, fight corporations and gangs, and stay alive in the most dangerous job of all; Shadowrunner.

Check out the Shadowrun Online Steam page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Huh.  Well good for them.  It's a real thing and not vaporware.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    I was kind of hoping for a more traditional MMORPG set up and not a top down one. We'll have to see.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    This an MMO or more of a lobby game?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Does this game still have a F2P option?

Says on the game description page here on MMORPG.com that there will be retail and F2P versions:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/965/Shadowrun-Online.html

FEATURES

• Become a Shadowrunner | Become a hacker, rigger, combat mage, cyber street samurai, and basically whatever you want based on how you build your character.
    • Free to Play & Retail Model | There are free to play servers and retail servers based on how you want to play, with both affecting your gameplay significantly..
    • Work With Others | Group up with other players to take on missions like hustling gangs, stealing cargo, infiltrating research labs, etc.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Karteli

Does this game still have a F2P option?

Says on the game description page here on MMORPG.com that there will be retail and F2P versions:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/965/Shadowrun-Online.html

FEATURES

• Become a Shadowrunner | Become a hacker, rigger, combat mage, cyber street samurai, and basically whatever you want based on how you build your character.
    • Free to Play & Retail Model | There are free to play servers and retail servers based on how you want to play, with both affecting your gameplay significantly..
    • Work With Others | Group up with other players to take on missions like hustling gangs, stealing cargo, infiltrating research labs, etc.

Does not look like the early access being sold now has any sort of F2P options.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    I cannot believe people think this is an mmorpg... its just a multiplayer game lol.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

It's a multiplayer  game, not an MMORPG. I'm not normally one to nit-pick, but by the standards of these guys XCOM should be called 'Enemy Unknown Online' because it has an MP option.

Very misleading. I think I'll shoot Valve an email because this is borderline false advertising by the developer.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

People need to leave this IP alone and let it die the honorable death it deserves. It was ground breaking, and amazing as a tabletop D&D-style game and that's how I want to remember it.

I don't want it resurrected over and over again as people try to make it 'their own' Shadowrun world...*I'm looking at you MS...*

Either someone needs to make a true-to-the-game non-turn based MMORPG with a modern engine (Unreal 2.5 w/Hacok, Frostbite 3, AnvilNext (if it's extensible enough)) with multi-interface capability (phone, tablet, PC) with all the regular trimmings like crafting, (maybe open world?) faction based pvp, housing, questing, ability to create custom quests (ala Neverwinter)...

Or, Leave. It. Alone.

Let me keep my perfect memories of amazing gaming experiences in this marvelously detailed world.

Art linked from Raben-Aas on DeviantArt - amazing work.

http://raben-aas.deviantart.com/#

Pipe dream, right?

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by SunwolfNC

People need to leave this IP alone and let it die the honorable death it deserves. It was ground breaking, and amazing as a tabletop D&D-style game and that's how I want to remember it.

I don't want it resurrected over and over again as people try to make it 'their own' Shadowrun world...*I'm looking at you MS...*

Either someone needs to make a true-to-the-game non-turn based MMORPG with a modern engine (Unreal 2.5 w/Hacok, Frostbite 3, AnvilNext (if it's extensible enough)) with multi-interface capability (phone, tablet, PC) with all the regular trimmings like crafting, (maybe open world?) faction based pvp, housing, questing, ability to create custom quests (ala Neverwinter)...

Or, Leave. It. Alone.

After watching that video I'd have to agree. The D&D legacy has already been tainted by DDO, Neverwinter and 4th edition. Better that Shadowrun goes out with some dignity.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

I am all for a true to form shadowrun MMO.  Check my blog here :P

I will use my code and check this out on steam.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    While I'm in love with the Shadowrun universe clear down to MUDs and the old PnP game.... Neocron 2 DOY  did a better job making a more shadowrun feeling world... clear down to the matrix, droner, rigger, etc...  Someone just needs to buy out the license to it and rework it with updated graphics, story, and major bug fixes and you've got an already made shadowrun online.
  • huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    If you ever played this game on the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genisis, This is how the game looked from  this point of view. I remember playing the failed version of this game on the 360. Im really happy that they never gave up on this game after that bullsht  version of the pc and 360.

Edgar F Greenwood

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Why are people saying this is an MMO ?

Its an online game sure but not an mmo..

I backed this on kickstarter so got access to it yesterday.. so far the basic basic combat system they have in place works well enough.. just have to wait for the rest of the features to get added now.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Make a real ShadowRun MMO... please.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    How does the PVP work ingame then? What are you fighting for? Is it just like battle arenas and 5 vs 5 or something silly like that? Or is it a open world PVP and fights over city blocks or something like that?
  • zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by SunwolfNC

Or, Leave. It. Alone.

Let me keep my perfect memories of amazing gaming experiences in this marvelously detailed world.

Art linked from Raben-Aas on DeviantArt - amazing work.

http://raben-aas.deviantart.com/#

Pipe dream, right?

im with ya, with all the tech we got SR would be a finaminal  IP to us in an MMO enviroment if done right. Has Sci Fi and fantasy elements all rolled into one,and done well to boot. i loved how the TT blended the 2 worlds together semlessley!

• drunkenvashdrunkenvash Member Posts: 7

I think this is a great idea. I personally don't like what "MMO" did to Elder Scrolls Online or Neverwinter.

I played Shadowrun Returns for many hours now and I completely enjoy the turn based gameplay. It would be great to have instances like "MMO" games but open world for traveling and social. There's nothing wrong with top down graphics in games.