Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTH is up with the combat in this game?

Comments

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Noticed NDA was down so I'll post my thoughts on my limited play sessions in the beta. 

COMBAT!

What the hell Carbine, it is the most back asswards style of combat you could of developed.  It wants to play as an action based Active dodge combat system but it still allows you to use the mouse which is an anathema to me.  I mean you don't have to give it a reticule but for the love of god having to keep your right mouse button pressed during combat is a chore and feels unintuitive.  You either make Tab Target or you make Tera style Mouse to look action combat.  Not some quasi mix of the worst of both styles.

Pretty much how i feel about it and GW2.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Ill agree with the OP.  Holding down RMB is a chore and something I have/had to get used to.  But its not terrible.  For me it does take away from some of the smoothness and polish of combat.  I would prefer free mouselook ala Tera style, but with the amount of UI clicking in this game, this style of combat wouldnt work.

You can always download the addon deadlock.  Its pretty good.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Riannes
    For me, the best combat in the market. Fluid. Responsive. Mobile. Fun.

+1

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Since this is clearly an opinion based thread i'll post mine.

To me personally GW2 has a superior combat but WIldstar combat is actually good. I do agree with OP on one thing but probably for different reasons. The combat feels weird to me because of the limitations it has. You are limited on skill choices until you reach high level to unlock everything in a noticeably forced and linear way. Not only you have a huge lack of skills while leveling up but you are also forced to spam 1 and 2 and the occasional 3 and 4 to kill everything. That is what i believe hurts this combat big time. They tried to make a cool and fresh combat based on mobility (which i love) but mixed it with a less than traditional version of wow combat mechanics and that went wrong IMO.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Originally posted by eldaris

No thanks, TERA way of locking the mouse was awful and it was another bad influence from consoles to pc gaming. I wonder how many limitations of recent mmos(TESO,FFXIV) are in place because they want to launch for consoles too. Wildstar combat is great, fast,decent animations, no combat locking me in place like in TERA (not that TERA is a bad game, it can be quite enjoyable especially the combat but still I hated the combat lock) and for people complaining about telegraphs -just disable them. I hope other games will copy Wildstar combat - I mean action combat but using the mouse too, instead of console way - if I wanted to play games on a console I would buy one.

Agree 100%

Disagree 100%.  I think it's a pain in the ass not to mention unintuitive trying to aim in combat with your right mouse button held down.  Why not go full-on mouse look.  Sorry but if you think this is fun or good then your wrong.  You don't quasi mix and match systems. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by rojo6934

To me personally GW2 has a superior combat but WIldstar combat is actually good. I do agree with OP on one thing but probably for different reasons. The combat feels weird to me because of the limitations it has. You are limited on skill choices until you reach high level to unlock everything in a noticeably forced and linear way. Not only you have a huge lack of skills while leveling up but you are also forced to spam 1 and 2 and the occasional 3 and 4 to kill everything. That is what i believe hurts this combat big time. They tried to make a cool and fresh combat based on mobility (which i love) but mixed it with a less than traditional version of wow combat mechanics and that went wrong IMO.

GW2 is the superior way to do action combat without having to rely on mouse look to aim.  You wither go mouse look (i.e. reticule like Tera, Neverwinter or ESO) or you go Tab Target.  Having to hold your mouse button down to aim your skills is faulty and horrible mish mash of game design.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Originally posted by eldaris

No thanks, TERA way of locking the mouse was awful and it was another bad influence from consoles to pc gaming. I wonder how many limitations of recent mmos(TESO,FFXIV) are in place because they want to launch for consoles too. Wildstar combat is great, fast,decent animations, no combat locking me in place like in TERA (not that TERA is a bad game, it can be quite enjoyable especially the combat but still I hated the combat lock) and for people complaining about telegraphs -just disable them. I hope other games will copy Wildstar combat - I mean action combat but using the mouse too, instead of console way - if I wanted to play games on a console I would buy one.

Agree 100%

Disagree 100%.  I think it's a pain in the ass not to mention unintuitive trying to aim in combat with your right mouse button held down.  Why not go full-on mouse look.  Sorry but if you think this is fun or good then your wrong.  You don't quasi mix and match systems. 

Hey! People will be stating it's a skill and your dumbing the game down if you remove it. :)

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    There are only a few things I really don't like about Wildstar's combat.  One is that during PVP the enemy can see your telegraphs.  At least I'm under the impression they can.  That, and most of the ranges of the ranged abilities seem kind of short.  Not sure if in the end it will make melee classes more viable in high end PVP or if it's actually already balanced in viability (which I kind of doubt) between ranged and melee.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Wait, why did you feel you had to hold down your right mouse button again?  There's definitely no reason to do that.  
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by PAL-18
    Originally posted by GaleOm
    I miss auto-attack, it would be easier to move and dodge with it. Now I found myself standing in one place more than I want to.

I just soloed some Stalagmight ??group event monsta at demonclaw pass ,as lvl 10 esper and atm my esper plays "turret like" because i cant move when using my builder attack,anyways there was no time to stand in one place. i have 3300 hp and monsta hits for  like 1300.

And this i why i like this combat,i had to move and time all my attacks right,couple mistakes and i died but after couple of tries i made it :>

So no MMO ever made you dodge the little red areas on the ground before Wildstar? Sounds like news to me..

I agree with the OP, first thing I was looking for since I had to AIM my skills was a mouselock feature.. None was to be fond unless from a third party mod.. Had this game been locked into mouse look like TERA with a button to release it, as well as the ability to bind an attack to mouse buttons (not sure if this is supported or from a mod as well) the combat would be decent.. 

But trying to be "new aged" with an archaic scheme is not really transcending any trends..

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

That's the complaint you have? That you have to push the mouse button to look around? *plays the smallest violin in the world*

You guys over there must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel. Your launch date can't come soon enough for me, so you'll be busy for a week or two elsewhere.

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

GW2 is the superior way to do action combat without having to rely on mouse look to aim.  You wither go mouse look (i.e. reticule like Tera, Neverwinter or ESO) or you go Tab Target.  Having to hold your mouse button down to aim your skills is faulty and horrible mish mash of game design.

So like 5 people have told you this is not true and yet you ignore them and continue to cry about something you have complete control over. I can only imagine what graphics look like on your screen, since I'm sure you refuse to look at the options for video settings too.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Completely disagree.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The combat system is extremely good actually. If you prefer to sit back while letting macros and simple button rotations kill everything then this isn't the game for you. I think its the best MMO combat there is.. the ground markers are a little ugly but there's no difference here, they exist in all action combat games.. only difference is WS shows them to you (and you can turn them off if you really must).

.. and press and holding buttons in Wildstar? Comparing it to TERA? You should try a ranged class in TERA....

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

edit: removed was suppose to be quote

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Gw2 combat... superior... wha?  Gw2 style combat gives you all of the downside of tab targeting with none of the upside of real action combat, it's really the worst of both worlds.

Originally posted by Matticus75
    As long as I get to squirt poo in someones face with that gun I seen in one of the videos, then ill let the faulty combat slide

Amen brother! Poo in the face is always better than a poor combat system! lol

I haven't got to try the beta, but would like to see what it's all about. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by reeereee

Gw2 combat... superior... wha?  Gw2 style combat gives you all of the downside of tab targeting with none of the upside of real action combat, it's really the worst of both worlds.

But you don't have to tab target in GW2.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Ah right there was suppose to be a mod that lets you play it as Tera style combat.  Might be fun to mess around with but I can't imagine that works well in any form of competitive play if your attacks can miss but your opponents magically lock on. 

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Daessar

So like 5 people have told you this is not true and yet you ignore them and continue to cry about something you have complete control over. I can only imagine what graphics look like on your screen, since I'm sure you refuse to look at the options for video settings too.

Some folks are so set in their ways, that no matter how many times they are told different...they don't change or acknowledge it. Instead, they continue to advance their agenda and original view with further responses...image

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

LOL Wildstar has the best mmorpg combat I have tried, it's the reason why I purchased it.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Ah right there was suppose to be a mod that lets you play it as Tera style combat.  Might be fun to mess around with but I can't imagine that works well in any form of competitive play if your attacks can miss but your opponents magically lock on. 

No, by default you don't have to tab target in GW2.  I never (well rarely) tab target.

edit: "GW2 could be considered as a game using a hybrid combat system. It has both Tab-Targetting and Non-Targetting features, combining the best elements of the two systems. A player lacking the acumen for a good FPS could still excel at this game and not lose advantage to those who have it. At the same time, players looking for fast-paced actions found in FPS games would enjoy the Non-Targetting aspect of the game."

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

GW2 and TESO both seem to have pretty good combat. But Wildstar is the best I have ever played in an MMO. It plays almost exactly like Ratchet and Clank - and that's just a very fun platformer game. You don't need a reticle for the game - the little telegraphs are way more fun.

Carbine did a fantastic job with the combat. I think its really MMO style combat next gen - whereas GW2 and TESO are 1.5.

You have to play these new games a bit to really understand the combat. If you are coming from WoW - you won't quite get it for a bit. Its very very different.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

the tanking classes felt better and the medic in pvp is useless.

give me lots of dungeons and group play content and ill be more interested.

its good that people stand up for this game but I know ill get mush more from ESO.

Wildstar is far more group oriented than ESO.  ESO = solo grind to 50 rank 10. You'll do the dungeons once for the quests, then never again (until veteran versions) because they reward no XP.  For PvP, the experience rate is incredibly low and you are at a massive disadvantage to 50 rank 10 players.

Also the quality of Wildstar's dungeons compared to ESOs is like comparing a perfectly cooked 3 course meal to a piece of burnt toast.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

To reply to the OP.

You can play as tab target (in PvE) and set the camera to autoface behind you.  Also there is an option for toggling mouselook - Explicit Mouse Look, but it isn't working yet in the betas.

I think the game will cater to all preferred styles, except in PvP where you cannot tab and autoface.