Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of games by Bartle personality type?

daisdais Member UncommonPosts: 95
So I was wondering if anybody knew of a list of game recommendations broken down by Bartle personality types?  For those unfamiliar with that it's all those signatures you see where people say what percentage they are of Explorer/Killer/Achiever/Sociaizer.  If one doesn't exist I would be shocked, because something like that seems like it would be really handy.  The list doesn't necessarily have to be MMO exclusive, and obviously it's going to boil down to opinion, but if a bunch of other gamers said "Hey, I am an Explorer and these are the games I really found enjoyable" a rough list could be formed with that. 

Comments

• daisdais Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    I'm sorry, but Bartle's test is merely a nice concept executed HORRIBLY. I mean 2 answers wtf? What kind of Real test gives even number of answers. And this is only the tip of the iceberg unfortunately...

(The funniest part is where Bartle defends himself by quoting, get these kicks, HIMSELF as a reference. Lolz!)

Use real psychology, but be aware that most common tests(MBTI especially) talks about the way one approaches situations and not why you actually approach it. Although I FKKIN LOVE gaming psychology, I haven't found a single test That's applicable to games besides Bartle(and that one is...lolz). The idea behind Bartle's is kinda sound, but he needs to revise that test of his and ASAP. Instead of "Choose: A or B" use " Rate: A 1-5/B 1-5". Then and only then we can take him for real. Good ideas marred by poor execution(I mean the site has personality what with that robot etc, but analytically the test sucks).

Sorry for stomping all over it. But That's the truth...

Almost all personality tests can be picked apart for flawed or biased polling, or an impractical approach to how they administer tests.  Your signature even has a RPG personality test that I see in so many game forums, but I am sure if I pursued it I could find flaws with that one too.  It's actually kind of frustrating though, because sometimes the questions are so blatantly obvious it might as well ask you "Are you an explorer or a socializer?".  I only suggested the Bartle test because it's the most prevalent, so no need to apologize for stomping on it, I am not particularly attached to that quiz :)

With that said though it tends to aggregate similar play styles to somewhat of a cohesive score, and I think a list would be useful of people that associate themselves with one of those 4 groups and have played a wide variety of games to give their feedback.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

Personally I like this model:

I don't know of any list of games for different types, but it would be interesting to let people identify their own type and list their favorite games, which would then be recommendations for others of the same type.

Me, I'm halfway between planner and scientist here.  Some MMOs I've really liked have been Dofus (best PvE), A Tale In The Desert (best crafting), Uru (best atmosphere and puzzles), Wizard 101 (nice balance between PvE and story), and WoW/WoW-clones like Perfect world (again nice balance between PvE and story).

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • daisdais Member UncommonPosts: 95

Yeah I saw that 3-D model of the Bartle test, it looks really interesting and probably adds a lot more accuracy in narrowing down a players personality type.  As far as the list goes however maybe it would make more sense if I explained why I was looking for something like that.

I only recently took the Bartle test for fun (was bored one day while surfing) and it said I was predominately an Explorer with a moderate splash of Achiever (Killer #3 and Socializer #4).  The test itself obviously left much room for error in results, but after reading the descriptions I felt it was mostly accurate.  It led me to look into the results a little bit more and I stumbled across two old articles from 2009 and 2004 here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Scaroth/062009/3996_Can-we-solve-Bartles-Explorer-problem

http://www.mxac.com.au/drt/TroubleWithExplorers.htm

If you have some time they are both good reads, but if you want a TLDR they basically say Explorers as a whole are very rare in online wolds, and it's mostly because to deliver content for them costs considerably more money and man hour resources to develop, so they kind of get left by the wayside.  Well balanced games have a high number of Achievers and Socializers, with a moderate mix of Killers and a small amount of Explorers (reasons for this are on the mxac.com site).  Any game that tries to specialize to one particular playstyle will eventually fail after the hype dies down.  This kind of struck a chord with me, because lately I have been in a gaming rut trying to find a game that I really enjoy.  Sure I play some games for extended periods of time;  I have 6 level 90s in WoW, true resurrected a few times in DDO, spent way more time than I would like to admit in D2 and D3, but the dominant Explorer part of me consumes the content and moves on.  It's only the moderate amount of Achiever in me that made me stick around so long in all those other games.  The obvious question is where are we to turn to?  Sandbox games at first seem like the obvious answer, but lately every developer feels like Sandbox = FFA full loot PvP, which is just a wet dream for the Killer archtype, and then it falls into the trap of catering too much to that one group and then destroying the game when only Killer's play it (they tend to leave when all the Explorers/Achievers/Socializers leave)

I was hoping to maybe find other frustrated gamers like myself who have maybe stumbled across a game that they are having a blast in, or maybe one that they played in the past that they could recommend.  If a list like that existed for Explorers maybe it existed for other player types too, and I think as a resource for the community it would be helpful.

**EDIT**  I forgot to mention my avatar pic!  I actually don't remember where I found it, possibly even from another user on this site.  I do remember though that when I saw it I got a good laugh out of it, and I always imagine somewhere out there some uber-nerd trekkie sitting in their parents basement nerd-rage screaming at their monitor every time I make a post saying something along the lines of "Why is Spock holding a lightsaber!?!?  Star Wars is not Star Trek!!!".  I have a sly grin every time I see that pic :)

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by Gorwe

Bartle 8(unlike 4) is an awesome system, true. But there is no test for it :O ! At least none that I found.

[snip]

As far as the games for the type x go, it's very difficult to pin down. Seeing how most of MMO players are INTx typed and the type of game they prefered(not to mention the class/role) is all over the place.

The concept is simple enough, does it actually need a test to figure out where someone goes in the spectrum?  Even MBTI, once you can understand the system, you can figure out someone's type with 4 simple questions, not the epic test they usually use.

Me, I'm officially an INTJ.  In terms of gameplay archetypes, what I really am is a "set completer" and a tactician/time manager, who also likes to accumulate treasure.  I love PvE including quests and crafting, and have no interest in PvP, (unless the combat is tactical or strategic, the game is putting up a reward for the winner(s) of the match, the game is matching up same-ability players so that everyone wins as close to 50% of the time as possible, and there's no penalty for losing).  I find the concept of creating content for other players to be interesting, but am not usually motivated to do it.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.