Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Farewell To TESO

Comments

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by Manasong

This guy... He stirred all of the controversies regarding the game... I thought that all of those discussions were done and all the active people on this forum would calm down, but noo, now we gotta beat on the dead horse a little more.

I tend to ignore all predictions about how any MMO will survive on it's payment model, not because of preferences or bias, it's just because that I don't give a shit about the speculation of some random-ass no-name, after his "this game will not survive long" it gets harder to show compassion or even consider thinking about anything he wrote in there.

Edit: and the imperial race is not a paywall, paywall=blocking content, imperials are not content, they are only half-assed skins with some negligible racial passives

Actually Imperials are TWO things a pay wall and a pre order wall. But that wont last long, but for now that is the selling point.

Why do you think companies do this sort of thing? Put things in a game like Imperial race and play any faction as something 'special' and then 'force' them to buy the game before its released to get them?

The answer to that comes with all the stuff this guys says about the game and everything anyone with eyes saw the past couple months during the betas.

The game is borderline garbage and they want to lock as many people in as they can making them think theyll never be able to get something if they dont get it now.

Cash grab 101 at its best. I know peope have gotten off that a little bit lately because it sort of faded away but now a week before release and the game being a disaster week after week it makes it much more obvious. I am 100% convinced that is why they DID NOT offer a lifetime sub. I am sure they wanted to but I think they figured they had sold the game to as many people as they could and that the back lash for offering a life time sub would restart the cash grab talk. So they took an educated guess and hoped that they had the fans that will sub to the game regardless will stay subbed long enough to make not offering a lifetime sub worth it. That and I think they also know theyre going to make the game free to play a lot sooner than they would like and dont want to have to figure out how to appease all the people who shelled out 300 or whatever bux for a lifetime account and the game was free to play after 9 months.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Have fun waiting for the next mmo which will most likely be another major disappointment.
  • ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by rodarin

Per usual the typical "EVERY game has bugs" comments. How about one game try and release  without any. Or at east ones that arent so blatantly bad?

Game breaking or not they surely stop progress.

You know a game is in trouble when people arent arguing about PvP imbalances and what needs to be nerfed or buffed. Or the things they hate about the game. Nope the main focus is on bugs, performance, a cash shop and taking away something that MIGHT have made the game better.

Seriously the arguments and debates should be why the game doesnt have housing or why PvP is not balanced or why there isnt an Auction House, you know stuff that is an opinion not stuff that is as obvious as this. But peopel can still try and sweep them under the rug even though everyone who has played the past 4 or 5 betas has seen them all first hand week after week.

The game isn't even out yet and you wantus to discuss balance? We barely had time to experience AvA or end-game content, only the PTS had time to do that, but they are so small and they surely are talking about balance on their own forum, but we have no information to talk about. I have no idea how my Khajiit lvl50 VR10 templar will do against a Dunmer NB Lv50VR2 because my templar only reached lvl16, or even how viable are end-game builds for any class.

This guy... He stirred all of the controversies regarding the game... I thought that all of those discussions were done and all the active people on this forum would calm down, but noo, now we gotta beat on the dead horse a little more.

I tend to ignore all predictions about how any MMO will survive on it's payment model, not because of preferences or bias, it's just because that I don't give a shit about the speculation of some random-ass no-name, after his "this game will not survive long" it gets harder to show compassion or even consider thinking about anything he wrote in there.

Edit: and the imperial race is not a paywall, paywall=blocking content, imperials are not content, they are only half-assed skins with some negligible racial passives

Actually Imperials are TWO things a pay wall and a pre order wall. But that wont last long, but for now that is the selling point.

Why do you think companies do this sort of thing? Put things in a game like Imperial race and play any faction as something 'special' and then 'force' them to buy the game before its released to get them?

The answer to that comes with all the stuff this guys says about the game and everything anyone with eyes saw the past couple months during the betas.

The game is borderline garbage and they want to lock as many people in as they can making them think theyll never be able to get something if they dont get it now.

Cash grab 101 at its best. I know peope have gotten off that a little bit lately because it sort of faded away but now a week before release and the game being a disaster week after week it makes it much more obvious. I am 100% convinced that is why they DID NOT offer a lifetime sub. I am sure they wanted to but I think they figured they had sold the game to as many people as they could and that the back lash for offering a life time sub would restart the cash grab talk. So they took an educated guess and hoped that they had the fans that will sub to the game regardless will stay subbed long enough to make not offering a lifetime sub worth it. That and I think they also know theyre going to make the game free to play a lot sooner than they would like and dont want to have to figure out how to appease all the people who shelled out 300 or whatever bux for a lifetime account and the game was free to play after 9 months.

You had a point going on, then you threw in the "garbage" and "cash grab" and my brain instantly decided into "zombie mode", now I simply can't consider your post worthy of discussing anymore.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Originally posted by Setzer
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Also...

MMORPGs launch with a lot of bugs...if you add in how TES games launch with so many...interesting thought :)

It amazes me when people say they aren't playing TESO because of the bugs.  Every MMO that has launched in the past two decades has had bugs.  You're not going to avoid it but hopefully the bugs that do exist aren't game breaking. 

If I only purchased and played games that were "bug free", I wouldn't be playing any games right now.

Goes for software in general.  First thing you learn in Computer Science is that EVERY single piece of software, has a bug in it, even something as simple as a C++ calculator that takes 10 minutes max to program has a bug in it even if you programmed it perfectly (try to divide something by 0 lol).  Your OS (even Mac, although Mac lies in their commercials and says they don't, but that's a different thread lol), your Microsoft Office, Corel, Photoshop, IE, Firefox, Chrome, Apps, everything has bugs.  If you don't want to use anything with bugs, you shouldn't be on a computer :)

Well take the article for exactly what it's worth.  He's clearly not an industry professional.  He's just a gamer who wrote his opinion.  It is what it is.  Every programmer knows that all programs have bugs, big and small.  A game the size of TESO is expected to have a truck load of bugs.  The most important ones will get prioritized and the less severe ones will get ironed out over time.  It's how reality works.

Also, look at his comment nay saying F2P.  Clearly he's not too savvy on the business side of the gaming and/or the MMO industry.

I happen to agree with some of what he said.  I am especially disappointed that ESO didn't go the route of EQN.  With a big name IP I was hoping for a little more innovation.  What I've seen from the past few Betas is that ESO is a "safe" game.  It does nothing really new or revolutionary.  It's just, average, in a lot of what it does.  I can understand a small AAA studio pushing out a brand new IP has to play it safe... but when you got a huge IP like TES behind you, you should be able to step a little out of bounds and be a bit more creative and innovative in your game play.

Oh well.  ESO will hold us over until EQN comes out.  Nothing wrong with that.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Am I the only one who finds it odd that people are arguing over a blog post not even born of this site, here on this site?

No....the only one with a brain that's still awake though :P

Oh...but we have a "spotlight poster" that spoke now though...so there. Now all shall bow to the...um...to the.....

I dunno...I'll still be playing at launch.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Will this freaking guy just quit already (I mean quit with all the downer comments lately, not just quit the game).

I DON'T want to hear his pessimism. That's the last thing I need going into ESO launch.

The dude's pissed they nerfed the API. We get it. He just needs to move on instead of going on this pointless tirade. Best he stop now because we're not going to shed any tears for him.

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261

Per usual the typical "EVERY game has bugs" comments. How about one game try and release  without any. Or at east ones that arent so blatantly bad?

Game breaking or not they surely stop progress.

You know a game is in trouble when people arent arguing about PvP imbalances and what needs to be nerfed or buffed. Or the things they hate about the game. Nope the main focus is on bugs, performance, a cash shop and taking away something that MIGHT have made the game better.

Seriously the arguments and debates should be why the game doesnt have housing or why PvP is not balanced or why there isnt an Auction House, you know stuff that is an opinion not stuff that is as obvious as this. But peopel can still try and sweep them under the rug even though everyone who has played the past 4 or 5 betas has seen them all first hand week after week.

The game isn't even out yet and you wantus to discuss balance? We barely had time to experience AvA or end-game content, only the PTS had time to do that, but they are so small and they surely are talking about balance on their own forum, but we have no information to talk about. I have no idea how my Khajiit lvl50 VR10 templar will do against a Dunmer NB Lv50VR2 because my templar only reached lvl16, or even how viable are end-game builds for any class.

You had a point going on, then you threw in the "garbage" and "cash grab" and my brain instantly decided into "zombie mode", now I simply can't consider your post worthy of discussing anymore.

^This

No point in arguing with someone who clearly doesn't like the game to begin with.

• KenichiKenichi Member Posts: 109

A message from someone who spent 9 months playing a game about leaving the game before its even launched? Sounds like a grab for attention.

I can't remember the last time a game kept me going for more then 6 months. This actually excites me.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Whether you agree or disagree with him, I am glad to see player make a review/blog that actually sounds educated for once instead of all the whining that has been going on.  He understands the game isn't a game to Zenimax but its a huge investment in which they want the highest ROI they can get.  People always say gaming companies are greedy but the whole corporate world makes their decisions from a monetary viewpoint.  Some decisions or good and some are bad.   And if I invested 100 million into project, I would too.  I know its just a small part of the article but it sounds like this is somebody who understands there is a business side to this. I agree with some points and others I may not but wish more gamers would write articles like these instead of the typical:  it will fail, wow clone, game sucks, ect. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    As has been the history of these boards for years now, it will be interesting to see 1-2 months post launch, how many fans who are giving the bug issue a pass in beta, start complaining how broken the game is and how unacceptable all these bugs are. It may be true that all software has bugs, but MMOs do not have player bases that are patient when it comes to waiting for them to be fixed. 
  • SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

The poster had a change of heart in literally two weeks.  I believe there are his reasons for ultimately quitting:

1) Templar Nerfs which he didn't like and wanted reverted.

2) API changes which he didn't like at all and wanted the MMO info in the UI.

Those two changes caused him to quit the game.  He added additional things in there which sounded like a bitter break up and saying mean things to make it easier to break off the relationship.  He was a smart guy and a good member of the community but it seems like he thought more highly of himself than the devs did.

I told him this on the TF forums, he is going to be sorely disappointed with games like EQN and the like.  It's SOE, they are all talk no substance.  But I hope he finds a game he likes.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by FlyinDutchman87

I agree with everything the guy said....

Although I'll still be buying and playing....

I never thought this game would be great, and it's not. I never expected to play this game for years to come. I'm just looking to get my 60-75$ bucks worth out of it.... Which from what I've seen in the Beta's I will. 

I'm not sure will ever see another MMO that can truley become a "WOLRD" as in the old days with EQ, DAOC, and EvE.  This is just a game. A solid game, but just a game. 

You should look at ArcheAge friend, its about as world as you can get in this day and age for an mmo

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    As has been the history of these boards for years now, it will be interesting to see 1-2 months post launch, how many fans who are giving the bug issue a pass in beta, start complaining how broken the game is and how unacceptable all these bugs are. It may be true that all software has bugs, but MMOs do not have player bases that are patient when it comes to waiting for them to be fixed. 

While the super fan turning rabid hater is often a tale we see. I think a distinction has to be made about bugs here, there are bugs: minor annoyances, then there are BUGS: multiple quests won't work... If people are leaving over that in two months, who could blame em?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Read most of what he wrote.

Guy is an awful tester.  Sorry.  Games aren't a relationship.  They are a hobby.  Personal investment when you're one of the alpha testers is a rookie mistake.  In fact my concern about the game has more to do with the vision the testers had vs ZOS.  It looks like to me some of the folks at Tamriel Foundry have let that access get to their head.  It's a shame because they have a great fansite, but instead of being professional about the changes, they cry like a bunch of babies.  This blog post only enforces that.  Dude isn't being objective and his main crux is that the game is trying to be two things at once.  Well no shit genius.  We can see that just by playing the beta.  The question is, is that something you like or not?  Well if I was looking for another WoW clone like many of these 'testers' I could see why I would get upset.  Remember the game went from being very traditional two years ago with that 15 minute alpha leak to what it is now.  There was outrage about how awful the game looked, but what if people testing at that time actually liked it?  That means they got to see more and more of the game they liked become something else.  On top of that all their friends are in alpha too, so they get to bitch and moan about every little change like it's the end of the world.  Add onto that moderation power of a main fansite with their leader's traditional MMORPG addon getting tanked like the Titanic, all of this puts things in perspective.  

They are children with a big megaphone.  Time to start ignoring them like ZOS has.

• EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121

I guess my guild of 86 people who love the game, can now cancel our pre orders because some stranger on the internet has complaints about ESO, not to mention one who had no life and beta tested until his eyes bled. Goodbye ESO! *Cancels pre order*

LMAO seriously? Not too many games I have ever played that long, and not got tired from. Thinking of my top games of all time, I don't play any of them anymore. I guess that means they suck, because I invested many hours into them. Looking at MMOs, pretty much other than WoW and Everquest. Same thing.  I loved, Knights of the Old Republic, put 100 hours into it and Mass Effect one and two, put in 100 hours each. But I stopped playing them after that! They must suck, because I can't play them forever.  

He played nine months, in a beta with a ever changing landscape, and he played for free. There was no working PVP give or take for the most part, no DLC, a good amount would be released in that time after launch. What is there to complain about again?

So he gets mad when things changed? That is pretty shocking when a beta changes things. I think what insane no life players like him need to understand is, MMOs aren't built around people like them, maxing everything out so quickly. Who don't pace themselves. He also needs to understand, he isn't as important as he thinks he is, putting that much time into the Beta isn't something to brag about. Like the guy in Titanfall, who maxed everything out in four days.

I bet you, myself and people here, can find examples of people who put nearly as much time into the beta, that think exactly opposite.

He pretty much ruined the game for himself, playing it like it was launch. Then complained about that, and the fact he didn't like some changes.

Well even some of my favorite MMOs of all time, there were changes I didn't like. I mean, I'm a huge fan of ESO, and I feel they made some mistakes in the last beta, going away from their vision, and allowing people to skip the starting islands. If you are playing a MMO, and don't care about the story, not to mention lore. You should be playing another genre, or another RPG story you do like.  

"What tastes like purple?"

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Epicon

I guess my guild of 86 people who love the game, can now cancel our pre orders because some stranger on the internet has complaints about ESO, not to mention one who had no life and beta tested until his eyes bled. Goodbye ESO! *Cancels pre order*

LMAO seriously? Not too many games I have ever played that long, and not got tired from. Thinking of my top games of all time, I don't play any of them anymore. I guess that means they suck, because I invested many hours into them. Looking at MMOs, pretty much other than WoW and Everquest. Same thing.  I loved, Knights of the Old Republic, put 100 hours into it and Mass Effect one and two, put in 100 hours each. But I stopped playing them after that! They must suck, because I can't play them forever.  

He played nine months, in a beta with a ever changing landscape, and he played for free. There was no working PVP give or take for the most part, no DLC, a good amount would be released in that time after launch. What is there to complain about again?

So he gets mad when things changed? That is pretty shocking when a beta changes things. I think what insane no life players like him need to understand is, MMOs aren't built around people like them, maxing everything out so quickly. Who don't pace themselves. He also needs to understand, he isn't as important as he thinks he is, putting that much time into the Beta isn't something to brag about. Like the guy in Titanfall, who maxed everything out in four days.

I bet you, myself and people here, can find examples of people who put nearly as much time into the beta, that think exactly opposite.

He pretty much ruined the game for himself, playing it like it was launch. Then complained about that, and the fact he didn't like some changes.

Well even some of my favorite MMOs of all time, there were changes I didn't like. I mean, I'm a huge fan of ESO, and I feel they made some mistakes in the last beta, going away from their vision, and allowing people to skip the starting islands. If you are playing a MMO, and don't care about the story, not to mention lore. You should be playing another genre, or another RPG story you do like.  

I think its time to change your signature.

YES!!

Yes you should!!

I mean...we can't have a large guild wasting their money on an MMO on a game that was tested for almost a year and then thrown to the dogs by ONE person....can we?

:P

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960
    Originally posted by Distopia

While the super fan turning rabid hater is often a tale we see. I think a distinction has to be made about bugs here, there are bugs: minor annoyances, then there are BUGS: multiple quests won't work... If people are leaving over that in two months, who could blame em?

This is a very valid point, but ZOS is aware of these bugs.  If they don't fix them, they will deal with the consequences.   Just like every MMO that has come before it.

• Ryoshi1Ryoshi1 Member Posts: 139

My eyes just got lazy-eyed seeing that wall of whiny text D:

/wouldprobablyloweresotimetooafterninemonths

MMO gamers, never give beta bugs a pass on average. Maybe some do here. But in game there were several quest stopping bug and people were crying like it was launch.

There is a game called World Of Warcraft, and there has been many bugs over it's 10 years, that players have went absolutely insane about. Recently it was the servers being down, at times, almost for a week straight. To fix issues. There are many examples. MoP launch? There was a chopper bug, right off the bat for alliance, to made players stuck, about 15 minutes into the expansion, and it lasted for 24 hours.

They still have 7 million players... The point is, if you have a well liked IP, that is established for many years, yes MMO players will freak out, but they won't also stop playing on average.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I can only hope that ESO lasts 9 months for me too. Kinda tired of game hopping but the problem is most of them turn into complete shite once I got to max level.
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

I think its time to change your signature.

Exactly I should. Like I said, I also need to cancel my ESO pre order. I always do everything strangers on the internet tell me to do, including playing in traffic.

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

YES!!

Yes you should!!

I mean...we can't have a large guild wasting their money on an MMO on a game that was tested for almost a year and then thrown to the dogs by ONE person....can we?

:P

lol Yep, exactly.

If there are two things I have learned from the internet gaming community. One, everything smells like blue. Two, Strangers on the internet always know more about what you like, than you do. The welfare line treats me great, following this advice.

MMO gamers, never give beta bugs a pass on average. Maybe some do here. But in game there were several quest stopping bug and people were crying like it was launch.

There is a game called World Of Warcraft, and there has been many bugs over it's 10 years, that players have went absolutely insane about. Recently it was the servers being down, at times, almost for a week straight. To fix issues. There are many examples. MoP launch? There was a chopper bug, right off the bat for alliance, to made players stuck, about 15 minutes into the expansion, and it lasted for 24 hours.

They still have 7 million players... The point is, if you have a well liked IP, that is established for many years, yes MMO players will freak out, but they won't also stop playing on average.

This is a troll right?

The MMO with on of the worst releases ever....ton of bugs and a terrible log in que....

/sigh....whatever. have fun

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

The article was really great.

Anyway i stopped pre ordering games the last couple of years so i m not going to do it for TESO either.

I played beta the past weekend and i can say the game was a HUGE disappointment for me. I ll check it again some months after release with some trial or when it gets f2p.

This weekend i played Wildstar beta for the first time. I didn't had many expectations from the game, but it surprised me in the most positive way. If they continue to do so as we get to release date (3 June), i ll most probably buy it (not pre ordering though).

Imo, subscription will be a problem for both games. Sooner or later they will force to reconsider the payment model.