Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Farewell To TESO

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    ESO is leaving in all the bugs to give it a more authentic Elder Scrolls feel.

lol this made me chuckle because its damn sure true ....

Obviously people here didnt play skyrim because bethesda was still patching skyrim for what over a year fixing bugs from the orginal game? lol Bugs happen hes crying about bugs in a beta test how the hell did this guy become a core tester??

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

I read that yesterday and i agree with him most of the things there i can relate to...

EDIT: But yes i fully expect to get 1-2 months out of this and after that well, on to the next game!

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Well shit. I guess I better cancel my preorder. Seriously, it took this guy 9 months and multiple level 50s to figure out the game wasn't for him? Hell, he has more patience that I do.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    ESO is leaving in all the bugs to give it a more authentic Elder Scrolls feel.

lol I've told my friends this almost word for word XD

Also...

MMORPGs launch with a lot of bugs...if you add in how TES games launch with so many...interesting thought :)

I really think that Zenimax has worked out most of the bugs.  In the little Beta test, it seemed like everything that was broken was fixed.  I didn't get booted off my horse once, all the quests that were broken worked, and some other things all seemed to work.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Arndush
    Well shit. I guess I better cancel my preorder. Seriously, it took this guy 9 months and multiple level 50s to figure out the game wasn't for him? Hell, he has more patience that I do.

yep sounds to me like this guy enjoyed the game he played for months and decided in the end because of a couple of changes to the game he doesnt support it at all anymore. Funny thing is he said in this article how he only wanted it to remain pay to play and how bad free to play would end up being which in his opinion is where it was already heading. Yet this guy just played for free for 9 months straight and because of lets see bugs, addons, and UI stuff hes not going to buy nor play it. Sounds to me more like a whiny jerk off who is taking his ball and going home because hes not getting what he wants which most of it IMO seems to stem from addons in pvp.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by JHenry

Mo’ money mo’ problems: Paywall = locking content. Imperial race IMO, is not locking content. Paywall= locking adventure zones.

This reminds me of my favorite presidential quote: "That depends on what the definition of is is."

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Silacoid
    Originally posted by spizz

The author of this text is a long term beta tester (if I remember correct 9+ months) and did level up several characters to LVL 50 already. He was aswell a moderator at the tamrielfoundry forums.

http://errantpenman.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/a-farewell-to-teso/

There is this thing that happens with human beings, when you do something over and over all day, every day, it ceases to be fun.  Sounds like this guy burned himself out.  His 9 months is probably equivalent to 5 years for me and most other people.  Obviously an enjoyable game if he spent that much time on it.

This guy sounds like a whining child to me, most of what he says is pure speculation and also would only be experienced by those with no lives who spend every moment in a video game world.  I'm happy he is quitting now hopefully he'll go outside and see what this whole sunlight thing is about.

I got the same impression. It was a very whiny post

But for me he came across as "Im important. And I know more than you do about your own game, you should do what I say."

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Mayor_HaggarMayor_Haggar Member Posts: 12
    9 months, what did the game look like 9 months ago? I bet if he played the game in its more current state and limited the probably ridiculous amount of hours per week he poured into it, he would be playing this game for atleast the next year and half before pooping out. In the end everyone talks about how amazing the next mmo is gonna be and how they just want to recapture that good old feeling of their first dedicated mmo. Just be happy with what ya got! Stop giving me "the grass is always greener" bull and definitely stop equating minor flaws for a major fail in a game that hasnt even come out yet. I am thoroughly excited for the release of this mmo. 
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

He pretty much nailed it.

Opinion or not he is saying what a lot of people think about this game.

Obviously the game will have fans, and those are the niche group this game is catering to. They may or may not be able to support it. I say they wont because I suspect ZoS wants to make alot of money off this game which will end up being a complete shift to a cash shop game.

The thing is eveyrone who defended the game being 'buggy' all claimed it wasnt on the PTS. Well here is a PTS tester saying it WAS buggy there. So the bugs probably go beyond the layering and phasing excuse people are using. But ironically if theyre 'just' bugs and not caused by a core mechanic of the game (phasing) they might actually be easier to fix.

But without modding and the player base unable to do it for them  it is doubtful. Bethesda always releases buggy trash so the fact this game is a buggy mess isnt a surprise, games arent fit to play until theyre modded and fixed by guys in cellars who are better at developing games than the guys paid to develop them.

We will all be able to play this game eventually, whether it is worth playing even after it is free is still up in the air. I know a lot of people are willing to makes all sorts of outrageous claims about the game, foolish though they are, theyre exactly what ZOS wants from that core focus group. Milk them for as long as they can with subs and cash shop stuff that isnt too obvious, then when the game is worth playing they switch to a buy to play or free to play model and blow out the cash shop to let people catch up, release a 'major' update (probably housing) and rake in the big bucks.

The one thing I will say is that ZoS seems to at least have a little bit of ethics because theyre extended subs stop at 6 months, so theyre not locking in people for a year when they know the game is more than likely going to be free before then.

• JHenryJHenry Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by reeereee

Mo’ money mo’ problems: Paywall = locking content. Imperial race IMO, is not locking content. Paywall= locking adventure zones.

This reminds me of my favorite presidential quote: "That depends on what the definition of is is."

I know. that's why there's an IMO on my sentence.

SOLA - www.solaguild.com
    (christian guild. Being christian is not required for membership though)

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Also...

MMORPGs launch with a lot of bugs...if you add in how TES games launch with so many...interesting thought :)

It amazes me when people say they aren't playing TESO because of the bugs.  Every MMO that has launched in the past two decades has had bugs.  You're not going to avoid it but hopefully the bugs that do exist aren't game breaking. 

If I only purchased and played games that were "bug free", I wouldn't be playing any games right now.

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

Made it months, not shredding his keyboard to uninstall after a few hours?

Sounds like it's in much better shape than many MMORPGs.

BTW: +1 to post above on "Authentic Elder Scrolls feel".  I honestly laughed when I saw this.

To be fair to ESO fans it seems like he was mostly crying about the add-on changes.  I don't see anything here that would make anyone want to not play the game that hasn't been been general knowledge for weeks.
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

I agree with everything the guy said....

Although I'll still be buying and playing....

I never thought this game would be great, and it's not. I never expected to play this game for years to come. I'm just looking to get my 60-75$ bucks worth out of it.... Which from what I've seen in the Beta's I will. 

I'm not sure will ever see another MMO that can truley become a "WOLRD" as in the old days with EQ, DAOC, and EvE.  This is just a game. A solid game, but just a game. 

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by rodarin

The thing is eveyrone who defended the game being 'buggy' all claimed it wasnt on the PTS. Well here is a PTS tester saying it WAS buggy there. So the bugs probably go beyond the layering and phasing excuse people are using. But ironically if theyre 'just' bugs and not caused by a core mechanic of the game (phasing) they might actually be easier to fix.

And I've talked with a tester who's been playing for just as long and he says that the bugs that do exist aren't game breaking and the game is ready for launch. He said he didn't have the quest issue everyone else had on the PTS. So, this guy's opinion of the game isn't the final word, he wasn't the only one testing the game. I respect his opinion but those opinions aren't shared by everyone else who was a tester for TESO.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Setzer
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Also...

It amazes me when people say they aren't playing TESO because of the bugs.  Every MMO that has launched in the past two decades has had bugs.  You're not going to avoid it but hopefully the bugs that do exist aren't game breaking. 

If I only purchased and played games that were "bug free", I wouldn't be playing any games right now.

Goes for software in general.  First thing you learn in Computer Science is that EVERY single piece of software, has a bug in it, even something as simple as a C++ calculator that takes 10 minutes max to program has a bug in it even if you programmed it perfectly (try to divide something by 0 lol).  Your OS (even Mac, although Mac lies in their commercials and says they don't, but that's a different thread lol), your Microsoft Office, Corel, Photoshop, IE, Firefox, Chrome, Apps, everything has bugs.  If you don't want to use anything with bugs, you shouldn't be on a computer :)

Originally posted by reeereee

I know. that's why there's an IMO on my sentence.

You do see the problem though?  If everyone is entitled to their own definition of content then the entire concept becomes meaningless.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Am I the only one who finds it odd that people are arguing over a blog post not even born of this site, here on this site?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Doriangray1Doriangray1 Member Posts: 53
    Leaving something that hasn't even technically started yet... How tragic... My heart bleeds for this post.

Rubber duck is incapable of hate.

" The extinction of Rubber Ducks will bring forth the end of our days. "

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246

It's basically a whiny, entitled kid that expects MMO developers to spend the weeks before launch focusing on the API because said whiny, entitled kid is unhappy about it. Reasonable people understand that the API is low priority at this stage. I imagine that they will revisit it once the game is polished and launched without any catastrophic failures. The writer of that article is basically dead weight if they are ragequitting because the changes they want weren't handled during the pre-launch phase. 

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Half of you will probably feel the same way after 9 months.
  • timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by Hariken

It would be perfectly reasonable to make such a judgement after 9 months or even 6 months. In 9 months, ZM will have had 9 months to recognize issues and fix them.

Originally posted by Hariken

A lot of people who are hyped for ESO right now will probably leave before 9 months but I'll bet almost none of them will leave over API/add-on issues... which is the bulk of his article.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Per usual the typical "EVERY game has bugs" comments. How about one game try and release  without any. Or at east ones that arent so blatantly bad?

Game breaking or not they surely stop progress.

You know a game is in trouble when people arent arguing about PvP imbalances and what needs to be nerfed or buffed. Or the things they hate about the game. Nope the main focus is on bugs, performance, a cash shop and taking away something that MIGHT have made the game better.

Seriously the arguments and debates should be why the game doesnt have housing or why PvP is not balanced or why there isnt an Auction House, you know stuff that is an opinion not stuff that is as obvious as this. But peopel can still try and sweep them under the rug even though everyone who has played the past 4 or 5 betas has seen them all first hand week after week.

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208

This guy... He stirred all of the controversies regarding the game... I thought that all of those discussions were done and all the active people on this forum would calm down, but noo, now we gotta beat on the dead horse a little more.

I tend to ignore all predictions about how any MMO will survive on it's payment model, not because of preferences or bias, it's just because that I don't give a shit about the speculation of some random-ass no-name, after his "this game will not survive long" it gets harder to show compassion or even consider thinking about anything he wrote in there.

Edit: and the imperial race is not a paywall, paywall=blocking content, imperials are not content, they are only half-assed skins with some negligible racial passives