Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Effective Laptop cooler

timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

So my gf just bought this laptop http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-313-742 and were trying to find out what would be the best laptop cooler to buy for it. 

Thanks yall

Comments

• MrNoMrNo Member UncommonPosts: 114

Since your laptop is brand new, you prob don't need a cooler. They were meant to used if you own a much older laptop that over heats because of age. I am using a older laptop myself and I still don't have to use a cooler only because I keep the hard drive very well maintained with one particular program that is free to use and that is CCleaner. it keeps unwanted cookies off your laptop and keeps the registry up to par.

So with a brand new laptop I would not even worry about a cooler. If it is running hot I would be taking it back under warranty. After all a well design laptop should have good air flow built in.

Mr. No knows. ;p

• timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by MrNo

Since your laptop is brand new, you prob don't need a cooler. They were meant to used if you own a much older laptop that over heats because of age. I am using a older laptop myself and I still don't have to use a cooler only because I keep the hard drive very well maintained with one particular program that is free to use and that is CCleaner. it keeps unwanted cookies off your laptop and keeps the registry up to par.

So with a brand new laptop I would not even worry about a cooler. If it is running hot I would be taking it back under warranty. After all a well design laptop should have good air flow built in.

Mr. No knows. ;p

"2) Temperatures - Temps can get REALLY hot. I was playing Crysis 2 and the laptop went up to 97 degrees Celsius. Use an efficient cooling pad for this laptop because you're going to need it for high-end gaming. (Temps drastically dropped down to a low 70 degrees C when having a laptop cooler run with it)."

This was a comment posted about this laptop last week so i want my gf to get a fan cooler right away so she can lower the chances of the laptop having over heating problems 

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I got a docking station from my laptop's maker, which has built in cooling fan that blows directly into the intake ports for the laptop.  I think this is the most effiicient way to cool it.  Without my docking station, I get temperatures around 98 degrees.  When it's on my docking station, it stays down around 80 degrees (which is room temperature pretty much in my house).  I've had laptops before and I bought aftermarket cooling pads from logitech and others, but they never worked as good as this docking station.

Omg im asking about a effective laptop cooler idc wat the room temp is because shes going to be moving around all the damn time not siting in the same spot. 

On topic i want to know a good effective cooler wortth buying if you dont have information dont bother replying to this thread 

Gravarg: So how much was that?

• MrNoMrNo Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by timmy12

Mr. No knows. ;p

"2) Temperatures - Temps can get REALLY hot. I was playing Crysis 2 and the laptop went up to 97 degrees Celsius. Use an efficient cooling pad for this laptop because you're going to need it for high-end gaming. (Temps drastically dropped down to a low 70 degrees C when having a laptop cooler run with it)."

This was a comment posted about this laptop last week so i want my gf to get a fan cooler right away so she can lower the chances of the laptop having over heating problems 

I just chk out your laptop from good egg and to tell you the truth that is a lot of graphics card for a laptop. For a card with that much power, I would hope that it had room to breath. So yes I do see your dilemma. It seems that the cooler that you own is just fine then for your G/F they very honestly but for the most they should all lower the temp very well. My suggestion at this point will be not to go for the most expensive one but the one that allows the laptop to breath. Sorry I cant really recommend one since I have not had any reason to use one.

Hope the best with your endeavors.

Mr. No knows. ;p

I just chk out your laptop from good egg and to tell you the truth that is a lot of graphics card for a laptop. For a card with that much power, I would hope that it had room to breath. So yes I do see your dilemma. It seems that the cooler that you own is just fine then for your G/F they very honestly but for the most they should all lower the temp very well. My suggestion at this point will be not to go for the most expensive one but the one that allows the laptop to breath. Sorry I cant really recommend one since I have not had any reason to use one.

Hope the best with your endeavors.

Ya its aight man lol thanks anyways 

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    the problem with all the new gaming laptops minus maybe alienware or something similar heat seems to be a issue with crappy cooling systems, especially gaming laptops with turbo boost or turbo core systems. I have a toshiba gaming laptop for example that runs great and cool I7 etc , but as soon as turbo core boosts the temps get upwards of 100C and the thermal max is only 105C. Companies like Lenovo HP Toshiba etc do not put cooling systems that work well into laptops for gaming and only seem to design them for blueray style stress on your processors. I have a cooling fan on my laptop and its a newer one but any laptop cooling fan pretty much OP that has good air flow directly under your fan unit in the bottom of your laptop will do fine. The object is just to get air flowing in a current away from your processor and your copper cooling pipes. Any fan will do the job as long as you keep it setup for maximum airflow right by your fan.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Omg im asking about a effective laptop cooler idc wat the room temp is because shes going to be moving around all the damn time not siting in the same spot. 

On topic i want to know a good effective cooler wortth buying if you dont have information dont bother replying to this thread 

Gravarg: So how much was that?

It was like $220 after taxes.  It also allows me to have a blu-ray drive, 4 extra USB, and an external HDD all built in one.  My laptop can have a blu-ray, but I'm using that slot for my 2nd graphics card for Geforce SLI.

I like it because it keeps it cool, but the USB let's me hook up a nice speaker system to my laptop when I'm at home gaming. And a draw pad for work. the HDD let's me create like my own cloud, that updates everytime I come home and plug it in.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

You could always try something like this to start with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834982224

See how that or something similar works. Running SLI in a laptop heat will be an issue regardless when gaming. Hopefully the ambient room temp is cool wherever you are doing heavy gaming sessions.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Deivos

LOL! Nice, really nice.

Isaiah 41:10
  • IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

I have terrible heat problems with mine since I run the piss out of it and it's only made for casual use.

I throw a freezer pack under it and make sure I don't block air vents.

I realize this sounds ghetto, but it works amazingly well.  I get at least an hour of never even having the fan turn on past low speed.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    A dremel tool to modify the vents, and a can of compressed air to occasionally dust it out.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by jdnewell

See how that or something similar works. Running SLI in a laptop heat will be an issue regardless when gaming. Hopefully the ambient room temp is cool wherever you are doing heavy gaming sessions.

Key right there - still I find it funny when OP is asking for help and doesn't know what the room temperature is.

I mean trying to keep something at 80F in a 85F room is going to be a HELL of a lot more difficult than in a room that's 72F

Any review on a cooler without taking ambient room temperature is like giving benchmarks without any baseline - useless.

Unless the ambient temp is like, 'vegas-in-direct-sunlight' or something, it's not a huge factor.  The whole point of fans is to keep air moving, not necessarily to blow colder air in (although that's ideal).  

Anyway, this one worked pretty well for me when I used it.

Here's my question:  Is she actually using it on her lap, or is it on a flat surface and still overheating?

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by jdnewell

Key right there - still I find it funny when OP is asking for help and doesn't know what the room temperature is.

I mean trying to keep something at 80F in a 85F room is going to be a HELL of a lot more difficult than in a room that's 72F

Any review on a cooler without taking ambient room temperature is like giving benchmarks without any baseline - useless.

Unless the ambient temp is like, 'vegas-in-direct-sunlight' or something, it's not a huge factor.  The whole point of fans is to keep air moving, not necessarily to blow colder air in (although that's ideal).  

Anyway, this one worked pretty well for me when I used it.

Here's my question:  Is she actually using it on her lap, or is it on a flat surface and still overheating?

You are simply mistaken here, check it out:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-Ambient-Temperatures-Affect-Your-PC-158/

and here

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?144121-How-room-temp-affects-processor-temp-(graphs)

and here

http://www.overclock.net/t/837389/effects-of-ambient-temperature-on-cpu-temperature

I could go on presenting data - it's a very direct factor - ambient temperature matters a lot.

And all of those are talking about ambient temps in the 80's on up.  That is not a normal indoor temp for most people.  So like I said, unless the temp is sitting at some extreme or unusual number, it simply will not factor into any measurable performance issues as long as the unit is properly cooled.

You make me like charity

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I don't know, living in the southwest or any desert climate and the temps in the summer outside are 100F+, indoors even with A/C are over 80 commonly. Ambient is a big deal, but it's also a hard factor to control - most people don't want to live in a refrigerated sub-60F room just so their laptop will live a bit longer (nor is that cost effective unless, as one person suggested, you move to Antarctica).

That being said, the guy who said a docking station dropped his temps from 95 to 80 (ambient) - you have your units confused. Your ambient temp is not 80C, unless your a lava-dwelling microbe, and no matter how good your cooler is your laptop is not running at 80F.

The guy who said fans are just to move air and not to pull in cooler air - totaly wrong. The entire point of a fan is to pull in cooler air. If you just move air, you aren't cooling anything. If you want to test that theory, block the vents off - then your just "moving air" inside the case... see how well the laptop gets cooled off then.

The icepack suggestion - actually a very good one. I've seen that one before. It doesn't last too long, and isn't comfortable on a lap at all, but it's probably the most effective. Aside from that, the fancy ones just a fan mounted on a lap desk, and the cheap ones are just a pair of riser pegs so your laptop has a bit more clearance underneath it than normal. The fan in your laptop isn't very big at all - 80mm is commonly the biggest they get and most are well under that.

If she is going to be using it in her lap - a lapboard may be all she needs to help, as clothing/legs have a curious way of molding around the laptop and blocking vent ports. Something with a fan wouldn't hurt, but then you have another plug or battery to worry about. Making sure the laptop is sitting on something flat and hard is the best preventative measure you can take - sofas, tops of beds, pillows, laps, anything soft or cloth will hinder the ability of the laptop to cool itself with what it was engineered with. Contrary to what you may think, laptops are designed assuming they will sit on a desktop, not a lap.

Make sure you don't turn the Energy option up to High Performance, that may help games but it will crank up the heat (and kill battery life). Leave it on Energy Saver if you can stand it, or Balanced if you absolutely have to.

I don't think any cooler is going to work that much better than any other, aside from custom making something that blows directly into the intake vents of your specific laptop model. You bought a laptop, it's going to get hot, that's a fact of life.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Probably the most important bit is to put it on a platform where every vent in the chassis is unobstructed, even in the bottom.  Also, making sure the vents and pathways stay clean.  Just like with a PC, all the fans and cooling in the world don't mean squat if cool air can't circulate from intake to exhaust.

A couple foot long 2x4's would do that just fine. image