Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest pre 2000

kalimar42kalimar42 Member Posts: 19

All I want is EQ updated with 2014 graphics with the same game-play from 1999.  I can't stand any MMORPG that has come out since.  I've tried playing EQ now but its to much hand holding and easy as hell. Just give me EQ with todays pretty graphics and you would have a winner there.  I wish EQ next wasn't going with the cartoony look.

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    You have my vote.  I actually don't mind the old graphics.  The big question would be if I'd still have the same patience to put in the hours it required.  I can't really answer that question until a game like EQ is released again.  Unfortunately there is a lot of different entertainment and social media available now that wasn't available when EQ was out.  In those days I could hide away and play games with friends online.  Now there is no escape from the smart phone.  Considering how much I enjoyed EQ I would give it a go.
  • SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    i miss the old EQ gameplay as well.  i don't like how sony changes the game with each iteration.  when eq2 came out i remember thinking...wth this is nothing like the eq i know and like.  and now with eqn...it's going to be like that again...plus the lame cartoony graphics which look absolutely horrible.  i remember playing the eso beta recently and thinking how much i liked those graphics and why couldn't eqn do something like that. i don't have much hope for eqn, but if it turns out to be good i will play it.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by Damage99
    https://www.pantheonrotf.com/

To me Vanguard didn't feel like EQ either (even though some people loved it).  I was not a big fan.  I'm not sure I would like Pantheon Rise of the Fallen considering this.  I've looked at what they have so far and it doesn't look like EQ to me.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by kalimar42

All I want is EQ updated with 2014 graphics with the same game-play from 1999.  I can't stand any MMORPG that has come out since.  I've tried playing EQ now but its to much hand holding and easy as hell. Just give me EQ with todays pretty graphics and you would have a winner there.  I wish EQ next wasn't going with the cartoony look.

We asked for the same thing with ffxi but they said flat out no can do,it's too costly with no return on that cost.

Hard to believe but it is cheaper i guess to make a brand new game,hard to believe because so many going f2p  it can't possibly be cheaper.

I guess developers do not have a grasp of their own community and games otherwise they would know you can do more than just upgrade the graphics.You can update tweak the entire system and if your really smart you can introduce new ideas that have players going back to enjoy all the new graphics in the world.

The simplest idea for grind,seems ALL the devs missed out on.If you want new players and old players to go back and enjoy the noob zones them design new weapons and armor that need to be upgraded and you grind for them in the noob zones.

That accomplished EVERYTHING  a dev could want,you have nice new graphics that make old look new,you have reason to flood noob zones so NEW players will feel surrounded and the entire game world does not go to waste.

I think perhaps the word noob should have referred to how developers think which is not very much,instead they like to copy.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

Yes it was fun but the whole genre was totally new too. There where horrible timesinks it took forever to travel, gameplay was easy but a lot of things where brutal. I do not think it would be popular at all today.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Originally posted by Knytta

Yes it was fun but the whole genre was totally new too. There where horrible timesinks it took forever to travel, gameplay was easy but a lot of things where brutal. I do not think it would be popular at all today.

Yeah, this. It would cater to the nostalgic crowd but it really would cost Sony a fortune that they wouldn't see a return on.

• redgang1redgang1 Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by kalimar42

Pantheon or maybe Pathfinder online are your only hopes. Brad McQuaid burnt way too many bridges since EQ Classic so the market horizon is looking slim atm. It's a shame they really dropped the ball on that zero effort kickstarter.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

+1 on a 2014 grafic upgrade but dont make it hella cartoony

and i thought there was a "old school" server called blackburrow or something..idk i guess even the old school server still doesnt compare to the OLD old school eq lol good times

• BoltharBolthar Member Posts: 62

I am all for it. The pre luclin days in EQ were the best. I loved that death took exp. I loved that to get places you had to pull up your bootstraps and beg a SoW. I loved that even riding a boat took actual "time". I loved the portal system and it only being available to some classes. I loved the fact that not all quests were available to every person due to the faction system.  I absolutely ADORED factions! It was so great sometimes I would spend hours just working on raising factions. I loved how you could get over burdened. I loved how you had to eat. I love how you had to research spells to get them as a mage and I also loved that not all class trainers at each city had all of the spell types so you had to do some hoofing it or preplan and buy it when you find it and keep it until you level up. There were so many aspects about it I loved because it was a lot more realistic than todays current mmos that do the standard, quest hub, everyone ports, all skills right on a bar, all trainers hold everything you ever want, and not a hint of factions to be seen (Imagine GW2 if all the cities had factions?). 

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Do you think people really want to play EQ pre 2000 anymore? I know a handful want to, but imho there is no money in that kind of gameplay.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I could only guess the amount of outrage on just corpse runs. image

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• BoltharBolthar Member Posts: 62

Oh man I loved the /corpse commands! What was best is when you left 1 "junk" item on a corpse and then looted all the good stuff and then you ended up with a "pile" of corpses if you had a really bad party/planes raid.

Good times! The problem is with MMOs is they have gone to main stream masses that want little consequence for their risks. They want little game repercussions due to their choices. They want easy mode MMOs and this is what we now have.

I agree it won't come back but If there ever was an MMO that was like EQ up to 2000 I would gladly play it. What I hated was with each "expansion" after 2000 the gameplay was forever altered so you couldn't even get the original experience back going back to play EQ after you had left.