Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impressed with this game - but how does the FF universe fit together?

fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

On a whim I decided to buy A Realm Reborn for the PS3 (will be playing eventually on PS4). I am about 5 days in now and loving it.  This is my first taste of Final Fantasy in any form, the imagination with regards to some of the creatures just blows me away.  It's great to just play a good MMO again.

But being new to Final Fantasy as a whole (and not understanding the lore or anything yet much) - are there any of the other games I should specifically seek out that fit with this game?  I understand the game series has been varied with everything from third person shooter to racing games.   So just wondered if there were particular games that fitted in with this one? How the FF Universe sort of fitted together.

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

The FF universes are rarely the same. Each numbered mainline iteration has a different universe (for example FFXI, the previous FF MMO, took place in a drastically different universe).

FFXIV is full of easter eggs and references to the older Final Fantasies, but the universe is still it's own entity while sharing some common elements known to the series (Chocobo mounts, Moogles, crystal-themed story, Warriors of Light, the Jobs).

Many Final Fantasies share these elements and the series is known for them. But you don't have to play any other Final Fantasy to appreciate this one. If you want to play the rest of the games you will deepen your knowledge of the references and common themes, but it is by no means necessary.

Art style wise the game is very similar to FFXI. But that game has a quite dated gameplay design which makes it very old-school and hard to be enjoyed in this day and age.

Play the numbered games if you want to see how they are (from I to XIV). Skip the spin-offs.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450

It's nothing like the Elder Scrolls series where all the games tie into the same world and lore.  Every Final Fantasy is a completely new story, world, setting, etc.  EXCEPT, when you see a direct sequel to one of the final fantasy games like Final Fantasy X-2 (Final Fantasy ten part two). 

About the only thing you'll find consistent in the series are a few popular icons like chocobos, moogles, etc.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

The FF universes are rarely the same. Each numbered mainline iteration has a different universe (for example FFXI, the previous FF MMO, took place in a drastically different universe).

FFXIV is full of easter eggs and references to the older Final Fantasies, but the universe is still it's own entity while sharing some common elements known to the series (Chocobo mounts, Moogles, crystal-themed story, Warriors of Light, the Jobs).

Many Final Fantasies share these elements and the series is known for them. But you don't have to play any other Final Fantasy to appreciate this one. If you want to play the rest of the games you will deepen your knowledge of the references and common themes, but it is by no means necessary.

Art style wise the game is very similar to FFXI. But that game has a quite dated gameplay design which makes it very old-school and hard to be enjoyed in this day and age.

Play the numbered games if you want to see how they are (from I to XIV). Skip the spin-offs.

That is actually great to hear,  means I am not missing out on some major back-story.  I can just focus on a Realm Reborn and look at the other games at my leisure. 

Many thanks

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22

It's nothing like the Elder Scrolls series where all the games tie into the same world and lore.  Every Final Fantasy is a completely new story, world, setting, etc.  EXCEPT, when you see a direct sequel to one of the final fantasy games like Final Fantasy X-2 (Final Fantasy ten part two). 

About the only thing you'll find consistent in the series are a few popular icons like chocobos, moogles, etc.

Great to hear, I was worried I was at some sort of major disadvantage and had to quickly cram on all the lore to bring myself up to speed. 

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Final Fantasy games are, for the most part, completely independent from each other. They each take place on a different world with different characters (although some things are a staple of the series, such as Biggs & Wedge, chocobos, etc).

As for what games to play, FF 1-7 are good (6 is best IMO), 9 is good, and excluding the two online titles the rest are garbage. FFX has good combat, but the characters are annoying as all hell & the story is nonsensical gobbledygook. X-2 improves upon a few things (and is a direct sequel), but still suffers from the same drawbacks as its predecessor, especially in the story department.

I guess 12 is okay. Better than 10 at least, but the licensing system for gear is stupid, nonsensical, and a pain in the ass.

FFXIII is just garbage. Linear play, a terrible combat system which is heavily automated, godawful characters without any likability whatsoever (by the halfway point I wanted them all dead), and the most maddening, ridiculous, nonsensical, and poorly written story in the history of video games, possibly even in the history of fiction. Yes, it's that bad. Stay away.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Dammit, people beat me to it. Oh well.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic