Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift 2.7 Oracle Cleric Class First Look

SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

New Cleric Class Oracle

I'll start by saying I like the soul class. Way more then I like Defiler I admit. The damage for a support soul is rather nice. Makes me wonder why anyone will even bard now. And with that said buff bard! Don't nerf Oracle because it looks good as is.

And it has a host of possibilities right now for builds and hybrids. You already know I'm working that out as we speak. It's a very nice job by the team.

Now for what I'd like to see. I'd like to see something more defining for the soul. That you can say yea that's an Oracle it's bad ass. Something cool could be done with shielding or effects. That looks feels and behaves like you would imagine an Oracle. Right now the soul is good but it really doesn't look or feel anything like the defined name. 

What I mean by that is this "A priest or priestess acting as a medium through whom advice or prophecy was sought from the gods in classical antiquity."

That is the defined meaning of an traditional Oracle. I just don't get that from this class at all. I'll have fun with it and like it. But I think it has the wrong name for how it looks at the moment.

Comments

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    If only this game had a better client performance...
  • SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    What problems are you having exactly?
  • PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Silentstorm
    What problems are you having exactly?

I think everyone knows, at the very least, when a zone event boss pops, or during Conquest zergs, the game performance goes from Frames Per Second, to Seconds Per Frame for a lot of people. Even folks with cutting edge rigs drop down to single digit FPS. You can love Rift but you still have to admit that performance is miserable.

Depends on how you play it. I cut my dimensions down to 720p. And haven't had a issue since.

The real issue maybe that the game has issues at 1080p

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

It has (had ? didn't play todays patch yet) major problems with the ground clutter. From flickering in and out of existance to just draining your framerate when looking at a wall for no appearent reason. Also "hide other players hit FX" doesn't work at all times..and so on.

That being said, I was looking forward to the new souls..but fuck me, Im not going to fork over 4000 creds (~25€) just for 4 souls.

You mean 5000 credits lol.....
  • KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

I do not like calling this something new. It's a twisted version of what bards and warriors have and the name for it doesn't fit the soul.

If they really wanted to make something new and call it this new name it should have drastically different abilities and new spell animations.

Spells like bushes that grow at enemy feet and burn for aoe damage over time.

Or perhaps ability to cast a spell that provides a cup in 15 people radius of players or raid members and this cup in inventory can be clicked to restore half healthbar. This spell would have a long refresh time and only one cup in inventory at a time.

A spell that brings up a large circular cube of water at a ground target location that does drowning damage to all enemies within and then the cube of water parts down the middle at the end tossing all enemies to the sides.

Basically this same thing can be applied to many of the active abilities and it doesn't have to be literal, just more imaginative than a simple copy paste with a slight modification and different name than what other classes in the game already have.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Depends on how you play it. I cut my dimensions down to 720p. And haven't had a issue since.

Considering 1080p is native resolution for most monitors, and has been the standard resolution in PC gaming for the last 5 to 6 years at least, I'd say it's a pretty big issue.

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Karble

I do not like calling this something new. It's a twisted version of what bards and warriors have and the name for it doesn't fit the soul.

If they really wanted to make something new and call it this new name it should have drastically different abilities and new spell animations.

Or perhaps ability to cast a spell that provides a cup in 15 people radius of players or raid members and this cup in inventory can be clicked to restore half healthbar. This spell would have a long refresh time and only one cup in inventory at a time.

A spell that brings up a large circular cube of water at a ground target location that does drowning damage to all enemies within and then the cube of water parts down the middle at the end tossing all enemies to the sides.

Basically this same thing can be applied to many of the active abilities and it doesn't have to be literal, just more imaginative than a simple copy paste with a slight modification and different name than what other classes in the game already have.

So they should copy/paste from the bible?

You make me like charity

• MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307

This is where i laugh because that won't matter.   (played rift for years had 4 level 60s before i quit).   The lag is game engine related it has nothing to do with turning your settings down.  Want to know how I know this ?  You only lag when you have the event boss targeted if you don't target him you don't lag.   Which means the lag is from the game engine something to do with the amount of data it needs to send you and the server from so many people cast/attacking or targeting the same mob.  Graphically rift almost never lags honestly a really good game but the flaws are there inability to fix the engine. 

Tip #1 don't make an MMORPG using a single player game engine and expect the same performance.  Gamebryo did great in Oblivion but add 500 real players and it gets brought to its knees.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Karble

So they should copy/paste from the bible?

Well now you are getting towards the point of this name and it's basic concepts. My examples are obviously taken from a small swath of our known fantastical stories. This was mainly to get a dialogue flowing of what they should have done with this soul. Obviously you could dig into some of the lore within Rift to find some possible active skills. Maybe even take from some of the epic boss powers and bestow a more tame version of them. I just totally disagree with the direction here. There is so much creativity happening within Rift, that it saddens me a bit they have slowed down on the momentum when it comes to something that is supposed to spice things up and keep Rift in the headlines and popular. This soul decision they made just makes me scratch my head and doesn't renew my sense of wonder with the game at all.