Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I suck at visual art. Should I buy this game?

umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Stephen King once said this about writers (slightly paraphrasing) and, based on my experience in drawing/art, I think it applies to most forms of creative art.

There's 4 types of writers in the word:

1. There's the savant writers - the Emersons and Melvelles - who are born amazing, will always be amazing, and will always be amazing compared to us.

2. There's the competent writers who, through years of hard work, blood and sweat, can eventually learn to be good writers.

3. There's the bad writers - the bad writers who will never improve. Always be bad. No matter how hard they work, or how hard they try. 

I am a bad artist. I will always be a bad artist. Everything I design in this game will be an eye-sore that people will laugh at and feel better about their own work as a result of.

Is there any reason I should buy this game, or is it basically a 3D Fantasy-Inspired Microsoft Paint that I can never hope to be good at? Is there anything else to this game that I might enjoy? 

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Not this game just Landmark

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    If you enjoy building I wouldn't be concerned about other people's opinions whether you're talking about EQN or Landmark, go have fun. Both will be F2P at their respective launches so it's a matter of early access and Landmark should be going into closed beta at the end of the month which you can get unlimited access for 20.00.

EQN is much farther out and no dates have been set.
  • KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by umcorian

Stephen King once said this about writers (slightly paraphrasing) and, based on my experience in drawing/art, I think it applies to most forms of creative art.

1. There's the savant writers - the Emersons and Melvelles - who are born amazing, will always be amazing, and will always be amazing compared to us.

2. There's the competent writers who, through years of hard work, blood and sweat, can eventually learn to be good writers.

3. There's the bad writers - the bad writers who will never improve. Always be bad. No matter how hard they work, or how hard they try. 

I am a bad artist. I will always be a bad artist. Everything I design in this game will be an eye-sore that people will laugh at and feel better about their own work as a result of.

Is there any reason I should buy this game, or is it basically a 3D Fantasy-Inspired Microsoft Paint that I can never hope to be good at? Is there anything else to this game that I might enjoy?  

You only list 3 types.  Also are you talking about EverQuest Next: Landmark? If you are you may what to post on that games page. 

EverQuest Next is going to more like a traditional MMO (but also very different).  You should be able to play EverQuest Next without needing to build anything. 

Finally, both games are going to be free to play.  You don't need to buy anything.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    You don't have to buy it, because after beta it will be free. Or you buy the cheaper beta acces, 20 dollars or so. Get a preview for the looks of Everquest Next. Try to improve your creative skills ingame. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Landmark seems to be months away from having anything for a non 3d modeler.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

If your wanting in early, do like someone else suggested and do the $20 pack, as closed beta is set to start by the end of this month, so not too much longer to go, or just wait till it is free.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Landmark seems to be months away from having anything for a non 3d modeler.

How so? The current version building is based on voxels, not 3D models. You don't have to have any 3D modeling skills to build stuff.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    in fact you will have more use of being a sculptor or familiar with working with clay then a 3-d artist.

This have been a good conversation

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

You set your own limits, really. In my opinion you may never be the greatest artist that ever lived, (most of us never will, anyway) but that doesn't mean you can't have fun and keep improving. I thought I'd never be able to use a wacom tablet and here I am a year later and I feel like I can't live without it now.

(I'm sure somebody has already pointed out EQ Landmark is completely different from Everquest Next)

• solochoowookiesolochoowookie Member UncommonPosts: 54

I am so in the same boat with you. My stick figures of 4th grade are still all that I can manage. I have been playing at this for a month or so, and while it is pretty and fun it takes talent.

The guy a few claims over has a multi story tudor style home. Me, I have a dirt hut, and a forge. He sleeps in a bed, I poop in a hole.

Exploring is fun, and whacking rocks or trees is a good time, but my claim will be little more than a squatters box.

If you are a talented artist, you will be fine. If not, you will poop in a hole.

• AsimofAsimof Member Posts: 3

I enjoyed this honest post. I'm sure many others feel the same way, but never put  in the time to make such a post and just quit. Lankmark definitely allows more freedom for artists to unleash their talents. Although it is far more sophisticated than Minecraft the more freedom it allows the more obvious the difference in people's artistic skill levels becomes, and the less popular it will become as a game. Things that make such things obvious are not well liked by the majority. It's somewhat off topic, but for another example, mouse & keyboard vs gamepads, aka pc vs console. A lot can be said, but at the most fundamental level, gamepads restrict people's skill levels, and help even the playing field. Players that posses the talent to perform amazing feats using a mouse, can no longer perform such things, and can only turn as fast as the next person. This gives the average joe a chance, and since most people are average joes, most people like consoles. The same could also be said in regards to things such as Minecraft and Landmark.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Everything I design in this game will be an eye-sore that people will laugh at and feel better about their own work as a result of.

What's wrong with this?   You're still affecting people around you.  You're still having an impact.

I hate to toot my own horn, especially without any actual "portfolio" to back it up, but over the years I advanced into the top 2% ability level of digital artists, but I never would have even TRIED to become an artist in the first place (back in the 90's when the internet was just getting going) if the only art posted online was the same quality you see in every professional gallery.  It took a lot of convincing, a LOT of staring at eye-sores and saying to one's self "Well dang, if these people found the courage to show the world this...thing, then the bar for success is already low enough that I can sneak under it too without feeling TOO much rejection either".   No I didn't start out as a savant either, but thanks to the determination of the "bads", the people who weren't self-motivated enough but could improve,  stood out just enough get noticed (me included) and eventually floated upwards.

A lot of those "bad artists" who inspired me then, are still making the same bad art to this day and what continues to inspire me, is that they don't do it for anyone else's approval.   They do it b/c they genuinely enjoy the freedom of it and the creating process itself.  That's something that no popularity contests or crazy high commission bidding wars can compete with.  That's literally getting out of bed in the morning and not having to talk yourself into it with: "well shit I gotta do this, this, and this; to keep advancing my craft" but rather embracing the work because the work itself is the reward.  I see GREAT artists burn out all the time.  Because they focused too much on popularity and pandering or they keep getting stung by overly picky commissioners who have more dollars than sense.  Being a great artist or architect is completely overrated if you're not having any FUN doing it.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by iller

Everything I design in this game will be an eye-sore that people will laugh at and feel better about their own work as a result of.

What's wrong with this?   You're still affecting people around you.  You're still having an impact.

I hate to toot my own horn, especially without any actual "portfolio" to back it up, but over the years I advanced into the top 2% ability level of digital artists, but I never would have even TRIED to become an artist in the first place (back in the 90's when the internet was just getting going) if the only art posted online was the same quality you see in every professional gallery.  It took a lot of convincing, a LOT of staring at eye-sores and saying to one's self "Well dang, if these people found the courage to show the world this...thing, then the bar for success is already low enough that I can sneak under it too without feeling TOO much rejection either".   No I didn't start out as a savant either, but thanks to the determination of the "bads", the people who weren't self-motivated enough but could improve,  stood out just enough get noticed (me included) and eventually floated upwards.

A lot of those "bad artists" who inspired me then, are still making the same bad art to this day and what continues to inspire me, is that they don't do it for anyone else's approval.   They do it b/c they genuinely enjoy the freedom of it and the creating process itself.  That's something that no popularity contests or crazy high commission bidding wars can compete with.  That's literally getting out of bed in the morning and not having to talk yourself into it with: "well shit I gotta do this, this, and this; to keep advancing my craft" but rather embracing the work because the work itself is the reward.  I see GREAT artists burn out all the time.  Because they focused too much on popularity and pandering or they keep getting stung by overly picky commissioners who have more dollars than sense.  Being a great artist or architect is completely overrated if you're not having any FUN doing it.

that is well said! :)

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I just want some creepers in this game asap, and no this doesn't count:

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I am in the same boat as the OP.  I plan on skipping Landmark and wait for Next.   Next  "promises"  to be more of an MMO. 
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I am pretty sure the OP *does* in fact mean EQNext.  It is my understanding (I have not followed news in a bit) that Landmark was initially a part of EQN  and then they launched it as a separate program on its own.  I would expect EQN will have components of Landmark in it?  I am guessing this is where he is coming from.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• seraphynxseraphynx Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    I am pretty sure the OP *does* in fact mean EQNext.  It is my understanding (I have not followed news in a bit) that Landmark was initially a part of EQN  and then they launched it as a separate program on its own.  I would expect EQN will have components of Landmark in it?  I am guessing this is where he is coming from.

this is a good read for people confused about the two games

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05/22/norrathian-notebook-the-key-differences-between-everquest-next/

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Kyllien

You only list 3 types.

Savant writers, competent (but not yet good), good writers, and bad writers. Although one would think competent and good are basically the same thing... but hey, this is Stephen King we're talking about. Or was the "competent" and "good" writers part of that "slight paraphrasing"?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

As another mentioned,you are talking about Landmark and i highly doubt Next and Landmark will coexist aside form SOE tying in some monetary value to linking the two,example ,give us 20 bucks we might let you add in your own 200x200 plot/structure.

I can't see how anyone cannot be somewhat creative,it is merely using your imagination and everyone has to have some.

I suggest you grab an old copy of the Unreal Engine and start fiddling with creativity.The newer UDK imo would be too cumbersome for a new person starting out.There are i believe still tutorials kicking around.You can do all of this for FREE without having to pay SOE money and using the Unreal Engine it is MUCH more versatile and you can add in your own resources where as in SOE's you cannot.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• seraphynxseraphynx Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Wizardry

As another mentioned,you are talking about Landmark and i highly doubt Next and Landmark will coexist aside form SOE tying in some monetary value to linking the two,example ,give us 20 bucks we might let you add in your own 200x200 plot/structure.

I can't see how anyone cannot be somewhat creative,it is merely using your imagination and everyone has to have some.

I suggest you grab an old copy of the Unreal Engine and start fiddling with creativity.The newer UDK imo would be too cumbersome for a new person starting out.There are i believe still tutorials kicking around.You can do all of this for FREE without having to pay SOE money and using the Unreal Engine it is MUCH more versatile and you can add in your own resources where as in SOE's you cannot.

in one interview that mentioned they will be holding building contest in Landmark and the winners will have structures brought over to EQ Next.. the main issue is it has to keep with the theme of EQ Next.. in Landmark you can make whatever the hell you want obviously but in Next they want structures to be true to whatever the theme/lore of the world will be.. once story blocks is brought into landmark there have been talks of allowing players to make dungeons or quests for EQ Next but that is still a ways off.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I am a bad writer. This does not mean I do not like to write, does not mean I will not write. Same with EQ Next. I do have the right ideas, I just fail at executing them. Does not mean I do not love to try to execute the ideas I have. I will never be good at it, yet I do enjoy it. If then people walk past it and laughs then it had also brought someone else enjoyment. Do not see why this would be wrong.

Logic is more my thing, I am not creative. Does not mean I do not like to try something creative once in a while. So the question is not how good at your at it, but how much do you enjoy doing it.

Or the way Stephen King would say what I just said:

“I’ve written because it fulfilled me. Maybe it paid off the mortgage on the house and got the kids through college, but those things were on the side–I did it for the buzz. I did it for the pure joy of the thing. And if you can do it for joy, you can do it forever.”

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169

I always sucked on my self born creativity rarely something good was appearing , but I was damn good on copy paste and after changing it the way I wanted it .

when I so the tools first time I was how the hell I will build something but after I few days I  build a great looking start for a castle  I acctualy stopped because of space limit  but will continue when they will remove it if they will remove it .

But no necessary to buy now . I bought mine from interest . I was happy with game concept and decided that sony moves in right  direction . Can't wait for Open Beta

• mmorpgolstimermmorpgolstimer Member UncommonPosts: 22

no, dont waste your time and money. EQN is nothing but the final nail in SOEs coffin.

-this may be considered as trolling to old hags who think that an ultra pixeled green line is grass