Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried going back. I just can't. Two deceptively simple reasons.

justmemyselfandijustmemyselfandi Member UncommonPosts: 559

1.) I no longer have the patience to click on every damn npc just to see if they remotely have the chance of offering a quest.

They need to add quest markers to npcs. They'd probably be surprised how many people would actually play this game if it didn't seem like an exercise in futility. I don't mind having to talk to the npcs once found, it's the chore of finding them in the first place. Make it a toggle, so those who don't want the markers don't need to see them.

2.) The map is atrocious. Mapfiend is just as atrocious but with more text crammed in. A mod that makes things worse. Don't know how that thing ever became popular other than it's the only one around.

Redo the ingame maps. Copy what was done in EQ2. Then maybe the nice person who made EQ2Maps can make the same for EQ.

Star Wars The Old Republic Referral http://www.swtor.com/r/V7xMPn
Free 7 days of sub time, unlocks, and items!

Comments

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 131
    I can't even play on P99 now for example as the client's execution speed or internal clock is tied to FSB. So on this processor overclocked the game runs at 10x normal speed.
  • justmemyselfandijustmemyselfandi Member UncommonPosts: 559

I'm going to add a third reason.

When I finish a quest and get armor and I preview the armor and right next to the armor description is a "Buy" button.  And nopt just on one or two items here and there, but EVERY DAMN ONE I GOT from a quest. What's the goddamn point of playing the game when the armor can just be bought? Cash shops are fine for cosmetics, when you start selling armor and weapons, I'm gone.

Sad to see the old girl in her death throes. Just pull the damn plug.

Star Wars The Old Republic Referral http://www.swtor.com/r/V7xMPn
    Free 7 days of sub time, unlocks, and items!
  • sh33pishsh33pish Member UncommonPosts: 54

EQ is 15 years old.  As such, most of the player base is at lvl 85+.   They added defiant armor -- sometimes offered as a quest rewards -- to help people catch up more easily.  It's pimpin armor at lower levels, but its absolutely terrible when you get to 80+.  Yes, you can choose to buy sets of defiant armor using Station Cash, but again, its absolutely worthless lvl 80+.  Its more or less used as a mechanism to catch up.  You can do daily quests and other quests to get the same armor, which is easier/cheaper than buying it on the Marketplace, plus you get exp.  Defiant armor is usually much much better than dropped armor until you reach lvl 65, which is when dropped items in newer expansion zones start to become better.  You'll likely be soloing with a merc up to that point anyway, since there are so few players at low levels, so be thankful.

As far as quests go... they do mark most NPC's that offer quests.  They include the (Quests) tag under the NPC name.  Other NPC's that you must interact with once you have started the quest however, are not marked.  This is awesome and in typical Everquest fashion, you need to read the quest to know what to do.

The maps have always been bad and could use an update.  But, they work, and one gets used to them over time.  Its certainly no reason to throw your hands up and say the game is garbage.

EQ has changed, and I dont agree with all the changes.  But it doesnt make it a bad game.  At the end of the day, its still Everquest. I have recently returned, as I do about every 6 months, and I'm really enjoying myself.  Obviously EQ isnt for you anymore and thats OK.  It's not for everyone.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

1.) I no longer have the patience to click on every damn npc just to see if they remotely have the chance of offering a quest.

They need to add quest markers to npcs. They'd probably be surprised how many people would actually play this game if it didn't seem like an exercise in futility. I don't mind having to talk to the npcs once found, it's the chore of finding them in the first place. Make it a toggle, so those who don't want the markers don't need to see them.

2.) The map is atrocious. Mapfiend is just as atrocious but with more text crammed in. A mod that makes things worse. Don't know how that thing ever became popular other than it's the only one around.

Redo the ingame maps. Copy what was done in EQ2. Then maybe the nice person who made EQ2Maps can make the same for EQ.

1. Having to explore the world and interact with NPC's was one of the best things about EQ1. Just running around and right up to NPC's so you can flash through quests in "modern" games is lazy garbage.

2. EQ1 was even better when it had NO maps. Imagine exploring the world and people actually drawing up maps? Imagine actually having to remember how to get somewhere? Now that is immersion. 

Modern MMORPG's are garbage and a huge step back from the immersion, difficulty and re-playability of EQ1. Sure it wasn't perfect and it has lost it's way from it's first 3-4 years, but having spent thousands of hours in EQ1 there is nothing since that has compared. The days of an immersive and difficult MMORPG's are now but in history pages. 

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

When I finish a quest and get armor and I preview the armor and right next to the armor description is a "Buy" button.  And nopt just on one or two items here and there, but EVERY DAMN ONE I GOT from a quest. What's the goddamn point of playing the game when the armor can just be bought? Cash shops are fine for cosmetics, when you start selling armor and weapons, I'm gone.

are you sure you arent playing Rift?  I have never seen this playing EQ.  

They only gear they sell on the cash shop is the random defiant leveling stuff.

• Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Treat it like a world rife for exploration as opposed to a playground with obvious rides.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member UncommonPosts: 3,645

I don't think you get it OP.

They should REMOVE the map, and if you need to find a quest, you can always wiki it or ask someone out loud.

THAT is WHY EQ is awesome.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

1. Having to explore the world and interact with NPC's was one of the best things about EQ1. Just running around and right up to NPC's so you can flash through quests in "modern" games is lazy garbage.

2. EQ1 was even better when it had NO maps. Imagine exploring the world and people actually drawing up maps? Imagine actually having to remember how to get somewhere? Now that is immersion. 

Modern MMORPG's are garbage and a huge step back from the immersion, difficulty and re-playability of EQ1. Sure it wasn't perfect and it has lost it's way from it's first 3-4 years, but having spent thousands of hours in EQ1 there is nothing since that has compared. The days of an immersive and difficult MMORPG's are now but in history pages. 

The real question is are you still playing EQ1? 

I have to admit, I have had the same views, but then actually left and gone back to a game and felt like the experience was lacking. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,211
    People actually do quests in EQ1?
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,178

1. Quest markers in EQ1..... NO , just HELL NO 

EQ1 was never about quesing - it still is not for me - I've played it since launch, I have four level 100s that have not done more than 30 quests combined. The players that still play EQ1 today and keep it afloat would all leave if they WoW-ified EQ1 - I mean that would be absolutely the WORST POSSIBLE THING they could do.

2. Maps - I don't use them - but if new players needed improved maps so be it. I have the entire game mapped in my head just from playing so much over the course of 15 years.

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

I think the game might be on a little more solid ground than you want to admit.

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413

I wouldn't put any real time into The current version of Everquest, but p99 would consume far more hours than I can afford were I to install it.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Tyvolus4

I think the game might be on a little more solid ground than you want to admit.

I think its pretty remarkable how well EQ is doing for a 15 year old game.  Plug isn't getting pulled anytime soon.

Population is hardly booming but its pretty stable

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,764
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

I don't think you get it OP.

They should REMOVE the map, and if you need to find a quest, you can always wiki it or ask someone out loud.

THAT is WHY EQ is awesome.

LOL   exactly!      Another  "why can't they make games like UO and Everquest anymore??"  guy!

Oh and could you please put quest markers over NPC's heads please?  Because it is too much work to find the right ones......

Dude!   Hang your head in shame, your rose coloured glasses just melted off your head. 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 2,558
    Yeah man, if you're playing EQ for the quests, you're playing for the wrong reason.
  • BreshaBresha Member Posts: 65
    Everquest became a husk of its former glory a long,long time ago.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,021
    1999 3D graphics and 1999 3D clunkiness are enough reasons for me not to try this game in 2014.

• kairel182kairel182 Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    1999 3D graphics and 1999 3D clunkiness are enough reasons for me not to try this game in 2014.

And you're either very young or shouldn't be admitting such a non-sense statement.  But hey, it's not like EQ was one of the games to launch the industry everyone is playing now.  Keep going on your inflated graphics with zero content because they spend millions developing that (LOL SWTOR anyone?)

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Boneserino

LOL   exactly!      Another  "why can't they make games like UO and Everquest anymore??"  guy!

Oh and could you please put quest markers over NPC's heads please?  Because it is too much work to find the right ones......

Dude!   Hang your head in shame, your rose coloured glasses just melted off your head. 

I think you are contradicting yourself in your post. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,053

huh ...

Well, I just started playing and I really like it. Passed on this game to play Lineage 2 because EQ's art design wasn't really interesting to me.

However, with the closure of Vanguard I wanted to see what EQ had to offer and it's very refreshing to me NOT to have quest markers.

Though the map isn't amazing I've been able to use it so how bad can it really be?

In any case, I'm interested to see what else EQ has to offer over my time in game.

• ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,225
    The clunky U.I. has always been the killer for me.  Just cannot deal with it.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

None of those issue bother me.  The main problem I have with EQ now is the way they changed the classes to allow them to solo and the way the designed the new areas completely differently.  That and the fact that everyone starts in the same place now.  There are so many NPCs/quests now it's terrible.   You go to the old zones where there are no quests and they are all completely dead.  You would be lucky to see one person.  They should start people in some of the old zones so they can experience the whole game and not just the new areas that are made for people who only know how to quest.  Just go out and explore.  Kills some mobs.  Sell some loot.  See what happens.  The old zones don't mesh well with the new either.  The new commonlands seems so terrible and out of place next to the old zones.  The art style is completely different.  One of the best things about EQ was the art style.

• itchmonitchmon Member UncommonPosts: 1,949
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

your loss man.  Graphics don't make the game, especially not this one.  EQ is about being in an imaginary world, you gotta use that imagination tho.

And yeah, I would die a little inside if they added ! markers to  NPCs in EQ. 

I think all they really need to do is figure out the "right way" to do a progression server.  Every time they do one it is full to the point of queues for months but then the hiccups set in.

If I return to an old game, and i've been itching to do so for a while, it's this one, ff11 or potbs.  got all three in other tabs as we speak....

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins