Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think I've figured out the intangible.

I think the reason that I don't like the game after giving it a fair shot with a group of my friends is that..... the combat engine is so unresponsive. I mean it takes the game a second or two on a top end gaming machine to set your action into action and it's the same thing that bothers me in a great many other games.

I was wondering if other people had the same feel?

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Its amazing isn't it? an 8 year old game like WOW pulled it off and in 2014 devs still struggle to get this right?
  • vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309

My biggest problem with the game is the non instanced "dungeons" that evidently have a very large cap to max population if there even is one.  I just ran through one along with 20 other people and didn't see a single living creature or chest.  Ran straight to the end did the objective and ran out.

Really?  That's ZERO fun.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931
    Fluid game play.. its not. Most the time you would think your lagging yet not. Combat needs allot more love. Its not as fluid as most games you at least for me I tend to feel sluggish.
  • orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203
    I really just don't understand how so many games can't get fluid combat right. The rigidity and non responsiveness just totally makes me dislike a game instantly. especially since I spend most of my time in combat.
  • ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931
    Originally posted by vanderghast

My biggest problem with the game is the non instanced "dungeons" that evidently have a very large cap to max population if there even is one.  I just ran through one along with 20 other people and didn't see a single living creature or chest.  Ran straight to the end did the objective and ran out.

Really?  That's ZERO fun.

Haha not sure but this made me laugh. Well reminded me of a dungeon in ESO I ran through there were tons of NPC's ..yet only one or two no lie were moving.. yet I was like ..can't ANYONE see me? I just ran through like everyone else fighting that ONE that was walking.

Its like combat was not on their top 5 list of things we HAVE to get right.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Zenimax knows that

Another piece of your feedback we’ve implemented addresses our combat system. We continue to identify ways to make melee combat feel even more substantial. In addition to many tweaks and changes to animations and audio, we’ve added player collision with NPCs, which means your character will no longer be able to run through NPC enemies. This is a frequently requested feature that we think succeeds in making melee combat more visceral and exciting.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/03/14/eso-road-ahead

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

Im not really sure why our experiences were so different but I found the combat beautifully responsive.  Its a slower pace with a lot of normal attacks mixed in and cast times which you can atleast move while doing but its fluid for me.

It is very light no the amount of skills but atleast gets better when you can wepon swap to another set of 5 skills.

Its not perfect but its new and its good enough I pre-ordered and looking forward to playing it cause I am a gamer I consume games and 60 bones isnt much even for a single player game hell stick of truth took me 12 hrs to play through ESO guarantees me more than that :)

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by the420kid

Im not really sure why our experiences were so different but I found the combat beautifully responsive.  Its a slower pace with a lot of normal attacks mixed in and cast times which you can atleast move while doing but its fluid for me.

It is very light no the amount of skills but atleast gets better when you can wepon swap to another set of 5 skills.

Its not perfect but its new and its good enough I pre-ordered and looking forward to playing it cause I am a gamer I consume games and 60 bones isnt much even for a single player game hell stick of truth took me 12 hrs to play through ESO guarantees me more than that :)

This. I enjoy combat, more than in other TES titles for sure and in general.

I suppose most critics come from game with "faster" combat and ability spamming

• oldboygameroldboygamer Member Posts: 139
    One thing that annoyed me today was when I finally get a charge move on my Templar every time I use it, it carried me past the target so I have to turn around again to fight and adjust. I haven't found a single mmo that can get this right.