Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weapon Racks in Coldharbor need to come back...

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
Why try to solve a problem that doesn't exist?

There are MANY negatives and from what I can see, zero positive effects of this decision to remove the weapon racks while escaping from the prison.

BEFORE: You'd run up to several weapon racks, CHOOSE the weapon you gravitate towards and go forth with that weapon of your choice.

NOW: You can choose a one handed sword. No choice, really. There you go, get out there and hold your one handed sword like EVERYONE ELSE running around.

Suddenly, the player's choice is gone here. Everyone looks the exact same. Player's are being forced to have a combat experience they may not want.

It just seems like a silly change... I think the weapon racks should absolutely come back.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Till you leave the prison and move on...

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    You don't even have to leave the prison.. there are literally dozens of chests with awesome equipment in them THROUGHOUT the whole prison.  I must have had one of EVERY type of weapon walking through there testing them all.
  • AbardomasAbardomas Member Posts: 159

Agreed, Period.

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

well i haven't got into the game yet but removing the weapons is annoying, everyone would pick the weapon they want to train up, not the sword. Sure it's unlikely they'd be a stash of each weapon but then it's unlikely they'd be a weapon for everyone who escaped as well or everyone having the same type, so either the previous or even 1 time pick and getting random would have been better (at least you stood some chance to get the type you wanted then lol)

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Completely agree
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    I honestly don't see why not either. Nothing bad at all about having weapon racks there. Would work well if we saw the other escapees stop at the weapon racks on the way out for a second or two to grab a weapon instead of running out empty-handed. There, now we have our weapon racks, and now they serve an immersive purpose for being there.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I kind of understand where they were going with this. It gives that vibe that everyone is the same. You're not limited by choices. Your sword is just a beginning to the endless possibilities available. A new player might feel forced to make a life long choice with what weapon to use. Being only a sword removes that choice and makes you realize your weapon type doesn't ultimately matter as you can use any weapon you find.

Personally I think the bigger issue is they never should have had classes at all. That's going to confuse some new players into thinking "I'm a sorcerer I have to use a staff" etc.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I kind of understand where they were going with this. It gives that vibe that everyone is the same. You're not limited by choices. Your sword is just a beginning to the endless possibilities available. A new player might feel forced to make a life long choice with what weapon to use. Being only a sword removes that choice and makes you realize your weapon type doesn't ultimately matter as you can use any weapon you find.

Personally I think the bigger issue is they never should have had classes at all. That's going to confuse some new players into thinking "I'm a sorcerer I have to use a staff" etc.

I Had no clue why they made this change until i read your post Fendel. I think you hit the nail on the head, Makes alot of sense.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

"I kind of understand where they were going with this. It gives that vibe that everyone is the same."

Cuz if there's one thing we all want to be in an MMORPG, it's THE SAME. Hehe not picking on you mate, just saying :)

I still think it's a bonehead fix for a problem that didn't exist.

As for classes, we are in agreement.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by DeaconX

There are MANY negatives and from what I can see, zero positive effects of this decision to remove the weapon racks while escaping from the prison.

BEFORE: You'd run up to several weapon racks, CHOOSE the weapon you gravitate towards and go forth with that weapon of your choice.

NOW: You can choose a one handed sword. No choice, really. There you go, get out there and hold your one handed sword like EVERYONE ELSE running around.

Suddenly, the player's choice is gone here. Everyone looks the exact same. Player's are being forced to have a combat experience they may not want.

It just seems like a silly change... I think the weapon racks should absolutely come back.

Totally agree, I dont like it at all. And the free option at the beginning was lot better. Thats like an additional part of character creation, the decision how you want to play.

After that so many were using white horses....lol

Same counts for the skipping of the beginner Island. I was suddenly in the main town and had no clue how to get even to the beginner Island. It was one quest out of many others.

The missing beginner Islands leads to less immersion and especially less fluent story gameplay.

Both changes are a step backward.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

I think they deleted the weapon rack because there was a very very serious bug attached to it. They might bring it back once it gets fixed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/1z4j4s/youre_stuck_how_to_beta_around_the_clock_quickfix/

WARNING! Do not put your first quest weapon, the one you get off the weapon rack, into your bank. Your bank is shared among all characters in your account. So if you create an alt, the game will think it has the quest weapon available to it and you won't be able to proceed out of the prison. If you delete all of your characters, the game still thinks the starter weapon is in your shared bank and you'll never get out of Coldharbour.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

It creates a two prong problem now.

You are gaining levels in a weapon you really don't care about, so you speed through Cold Harbor, end up no longer on nub Island and in Tamriel proper where you do get your weapon of choice with no skills or levels.

The first mob I targeted was a level 5 Imp. I was level 3 and he hits me, he hits me, I'm at 90% health or so. BOOM! He hits me, I'm now at 5% health, then I'm dead. Of course it might have been lag, I don't know. I get cpu lock every 30 seconds. I might as well be flicking snot at him. I can't move 5 feet in any direction to gather without something barfing a fireball at me.

Dropping nub Island and eliminating the weapons grades from Cold Harbor combined, giving entry level mobs insta-gib specials.   The first hour of this beta was certainly nothing like the first hour of the last one. Ran back in to town, fell through a bridge, couldn't even get the log out icon to pop up using esc. Ended up using Ctrl+Alt+Del to force the client down.

They wanted to streamline Coldharbour so you get through quicker, but now you are supposed to spend however long it takes looting chests to try and find the weapon you want.  Doesn't make much sense to me.
  • KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Wife and I just played through the dungeon. Taking a break to feed the kiddo. Good thing about a 4 week old is he eats every 2-3 hours, which means your up, which means we can play TESO in between feeding!

Anyway, we notice the racks were gone and were like WTF. She want to dual wield and I want a 2 hander. Anyway, playing on through and looting things we both got our preference. slight annoyance because we are used to the old way, but in the grand scheme the time spent in there and how quickly we got what we wanted...non-issue for us.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Why try to solve a problem that doesn't exist?There are MANY negatives and from what I can see, zero positive effects of this decision to remove the weapon racks while escaping from the prison.BEFORE: You'd run up to several weapon racks, CHOOSE the weapon you gravitate towards and go forth with that weapon of your choice.NOW: You can choose a one handed sword. No choice, really. There you go, get out there and hold your one handed sword like EVERYONE ELSE running around.Suddenly, the player's choice is gone here. Everyone looks the exact same. Player's are being forced to have a combat experience they may not want.It just seems like a silly change... I think the weapon racks should absolutely come back.

While they are at it they can put some F****** daggers on the racks too!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Wife and I just played through the dungeon. Taking a break to feed the kiddo. Good thing about a 4 week old is he eats every 2-3 hours, which means your up, which means we can play TESO in between feeding!

Anyway, we notice the racks were gone and were like WTF. She want to dual wield and I want a 2 hander. Anyway, playing on through and looting things we both got our preference. slight annoyance because we are used to the old way, but in the grand scheme the time spent in there and how quickly we got what we wanted...non-issue for us.

I had the opposite experience, I wanted a destructo staff and probably looted 20 chests before I got one.  That did the opposite of quicken and streamline my Coldharbour experience.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i didn't like this when i first heard about it either. but in practice, its not a big deal as i had the weapon i wanted in less than 15 minutes.

by level 4 or 5 i had found every type of weapon available.

its really not a big deal IMO

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

I had the opposite experience, I wanted a destructo staff and probably looted 20 chests before I got one.  That did the opposite of quicken and streamline my Coldharbour experience.

I didn't say it quickened or streamlined any experience. Indeed such words are words we both abhor when it comes to MMOs. The thought of playing a game to spend the least amount of time in it isn't one of our desires. That and we both are the type that on the playthrough of Coldharbor we loot every single chest, vase and urn that we come across before we move on.

No, our WTF was simply that we wanted to start accruing XP for our respective weapon preferences from the start. As it was I was level 3 in one hand weapons and I would have much rather that had been in 2handers (dual weapons for her). So, I guess, efficiency as I had to wait briefly until I got my 2 hander to spend the 2 ability points I had to save for it. But, yeah, none of it was about spending as least amount of time in CH as possible.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Prior to the end of the tutorial, which takes like 15 minutes... you'll probably have 2x of each weapon type drop for you.

I'm pretty sure the intent was to get people to try different weapons in the tutorial, which is does.

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by baphamet

i didn't like this when i first heard about it either. but in practice, its not a big deal as i had the weapon i wanted in less than 15 minutes.

by level 4 or 5 i had found every type of weapon available.

its really not a big deal IMO

I never found a restoration staff for my character......nor for the alts I created. And I ran them ALL thru Coldharbour and I opened tons of chests....I really hate this change.

• ExmatrixExmatrix Member UncommonPosts: 36
    So you want your favorite weapon? Fight for it, look for it or start gathering materials and craft it or just buy it!
    Maybe you guys want a rack right in the starter dungeon which let you choose your favorite ultimate skill?

Carebears kill mmos. That's what ruined the "Elder scrolls" in "Elder scrolls online".

• edgeaudioedgeaudio Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by nunii
    So you want your favorite weapon? Fight for it, look for it or start gathering materials and craft it or just buy it!
    Maybe you guys want a rack right in the starter dungeon which let you choose your favorite ultimate skill?

Carebears kill mmos. That's what ruined the "Elder scrolls" in "Elder scrolls online".

yeah cos starting with your preferred weapon is a real care bear moment.... sheesh... in my op they have gone too far the other way now. skipping newb islands and spawning in a major city with no natural questline is confusing as hell. it was for me and ive played in all the betas.

I don't like being served. I like to feel I deserved what I got. Most MMOs today are like sitting on a couch and getting served, no challange at all. maybe only in PvP.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    I don't like being served. I like to feel I deserved what I got. 

But you're ok being served as long as it's a sword, but not ok if it's a different weapon?   What about people that actually plan to use a sword, shouldn't they get the opportunity to go "deserve" it?

I like making choices.  Most MMOs today give you very little choice.  Every idiot that runs through is going to come out with a sword without having to think at all about what weapon they should start out with and without the game indicating to the player that "hey, you have a choice! you can use ANY weapon!"   I think it's stupid to remove that choice and the need for people to actually stop and think. 

It's doubly stupid when the quest and voiceover literally say "go and choose your weapon".. yes... choose.. and your choices are.. sword.   

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by arieste
    I don't like being served. I like to feel I deserved what I got. 

But you're ok being served as long as it's a sword, but not ok if it's a different weapon?   What about people that actually plan to use a sword, shouldn't they get the opportunity to go "deserve" it?

I like making choices.  Most MMOs today give you very little choice.  Every idiot that runs through is going to come out with a sword without having to think at all about what weapon they should start out with and without the game indicating to the player that "hey, you have a choice! you can use ANY weapon!"   I think it's stupid to remove that choice and the need for people to actually stop and think. 

It's doubly stupid when the quest and voiceover literally say "go and choose your weapon".. yes... choose.. and your choices are.. sword.   

So... did you already choose the ultimate and housing you want to have right after you leave your jail cell?

Seriously. The things people are complaining about these days. That's exectly what I ment about carebears killing the MMOs industry. You HAVE to have the choice to get what you want without an effort. That's what made games with Cash shops bloom. I don't blame devs- I blame the community which won't survive a single hour in a games like UO or Darkfall.