Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the lack of a Collector's Edition indicate low confidence from Carbine?

CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
What do people think?  Collector's editions are pretty standard for any big game, whether it's an MMO or not, and MMO launches almost always have them.  AAA MMO launches pretty much categorically have them.  ESO, for example, has it's physical Imperial Edition listed as out of stock at every online retailer.  Any decently popular MMO with a truly limited (low number of copies, rather than a marketing CE with a huge number of copies) Collector's Edition *will* sell out, so it seems hard to me not to view this decision as indicating a lack of confidence from the developer.  Wildstar has been talked about as being a AAA title, so why isn't Carbine acting like it's a AAA title?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    They just can't make people happy.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by waynejr2
    They just can't make people happy.

No doubt. Does the size of the Chuas indicate their low confidence???

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Maybe they just don't like collectors editions?

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Maybe they just don't like collectors editions?

Why?  Out of an aversion to making too much money?

The Force shall free me.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Fendel84M Maybe they just don't like collectors editions?
    Why?  Out of an aversion to making too much money?

Well Collectors editions usually involve a bunch of physical goods. As much as I would have loved to seen a plush Chua or something, the absence of a collectors edition suggests they either didnt feel the effort vs reward was worth it or just couldnt pull off the physical end of things. Im also sure the publisher having released GW2 a year (or two?) prior advised them of how well the collectors edition sold there

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    Now a low confidence, but realistic expectations. As a brand new IP that has continually flown under the radar, this is the safest bet to control costs. I would have loved a collectors edition, but I'll make do with the digital deluxe.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

maybe.... really disappointed with this game after beta. I had high hopes at first.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Posts like these remind me why I love this website so much. Comedy goldmine. 
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    (...)ESO, for example, has it's physical Imperial Edition listed as out of stock at every online retailer. (...)

Don't worry, calm down! It's pretty much a given that after release you can buy these on eBay for $500-$1,000+. HFGL

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Exactly! And ESO has high confidence since they offer collectors edition with a race you need to paywall to have! Obviously!
  • R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I do not know why there is no Collector's Edition. It is an interesting question because so many games offer one. Perhaps they did not think the amount gained would cover the costs?
    Originally posted by Itherael
    I do not know why there is no Collector's Edition. It is an interesting question because so many games offer one. Perhaps they did not think the amount gained would cover the costs?

Unless there is something I'm missing, I can only think of two logical reasons not to offer one; because they are so low on money they can't afford to have anything made to put in the box, or because they think people aren't excited enough about the game to buy a CE.

The Force shall free me.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Unless there is something I'm missing, I can only think of two logical reasons not to offer one; because they are so low on money they can't afford to have anything made to put in the box, or because they think people aren't excited enough about the game to buy a CE.

Actually those both aren't very likely. Marketting wise a company wants to build up hype and a collectors edition helps to do such AND net in a lot more money from customers extra ontop of what the box prices include, specially for digital collectors editions. 

Its as simple as they might not have collector's edition things ready so they might of not of put it up yet, or perhaps even they are being more consumer friendly and not trying to milk their money? Nah, mostly like they just don't have it ready. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Maybe they think their audience isn't interested in silly in-game bonuses or useless statues?

Just saying......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Maybe they think their audience isn't interested in silly in-game bonuses or useless statues?

Just saying...... 

Lol.  They appear to be aiming for the vanilla WoW audience, I don't recall WoW ever not having a CE, for vanilla or any of the expansions.

The Force shall free me.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    LOL omg you had to scrape the very bottom to come up with this lol
    Originally posted by Cryptor
    LOL omg you had to scrape the very bottom to come up with this lol

How so?  How many major MMOs can you think of that didn't have a CE?

The Force shall free me.

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

So the "Deluxe Edition" priced at $75 is not good enough? Is it because it doesn't have the word "Collector's" in the title?

The Deluxe Edition includes a few additional pieces of unique Eldan-themed content: a hoverboard, a costume, a title and a dye set for armor. That package will be available digitally, and in a Steelbook case at retail.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Are you disappointed they didn't go with a naked cash grab like ESO?  Generally speaking, not trying to make all your money upfront before most people have seen the final product is a sign of confidence in your product, not lack of confidence. 

Though, it's not like ncsoft simply turn down peoples money and not like they don't know how to put together a collectors edition by now...  perhaps there were simply no Chinese slave labor factories available to make their little CE statues.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I don't think it means anything really other than them not feeling like dealing with it.  Look at ESO - the physical collector's edition is only 20 bucks more than the digital and all the extra items that come in that has to have cost them close to 20 dollars to make.  I doubt there is much profit in it  unless you are going to charge 150+ like SWTOR did and they can't do that since ESO is only going 100 dollars.  I'm sure that's why ESO limited those too because it's not really worth it likely for them.
  • YouSamaYouSama Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Tokken

maybe.... really disappointed with this game after beta. I had high hopes at first.

And this is why people shouldn't get beta access. They go there with all their hopes that they're playing a finished and polished product and at the end they walk out disappointed.

@OP - They simply haven't announced it. This is still a subject that might change. Remember: the official pre-order date from the official website is only in a few days AND the game will ONLY be release in June. Alot could change..

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Well it looks to me like they aren't selling hard copies. The reason for that is pretty simple.

Better bottom line

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

CE makes players feel maybe some kind of entitlement and thus special treatment. They probably want to avoid the angry CE customer who cant play the game while the server is down, attitude.

However, when CEs are so common, I think that kind of thinking while logical, is maybe a bit antiquated. That CE owners are a dime a dozen, and really nothing special compared to the other paying customer. CEs are the personal support they chose to pledge and the reward they get in doing so is the CE. Yet, for some, they do not see it as that, possibly, and more in terms of paying for a short line to ques for example.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• MaltisseMaltisse Member UncommonPosts: 34
    It is amazing people will always find something to be displeased about. Personally I will not bye any CE because they are all cheaply made Chinese hunks of dung that are way overpriced. I am happy they haven't focused on this as of yet, their main focus should be on touching up the game not CE's. Even if they did distribute one I am sure the next thread would be targeted at the unfair asking price of the new IP's CE. Lol always something isn't there.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    There might still be one. Why else would they call it a 'digital delux' version if they didn't have a physical CE?